16: Icelus

Living as a Vampire III

YOONA

  "Yoona..."

 

  Here he goes again.

 

  Whispering again.

 

  I groan and covered my ears with a pillow, "What do you want?" I whispered back. "It's past midnight and you're creeping me out." He laughed, "Did I intended to scare you, little deer?" he asked. My eyes were still closed and snorted, "Probably."

 

  He has been inside of me since the day Catharine died, he only whispers but not showing me who he really was. "I didn't mean to scare you, little deer. We barely talk with each other and it's been a century since we last talk." he answered. I got up from the bed, avoiding to wake up Seohyun by my side and went out of the room. "You are really avoiding yourself to get caught by the second gifted." he chuckled.

 

  "Of course, I am! She or they might be thinking that I'm talking to myself again." I answered. "Like what they thought after the first gifted's death?" I paused and looked down, "Are we going to talk about her again?"

 

  He answered, "We are not talking about her, since you knew she is alive."

 

  "Good. Because I don't want to talk about her either." Then I walked upstairs to the rooftop, "I must think that she wants to talk to you." he said. I scoffed, "Talk to me? After four hundred years?" I wandered around the rooftop and feel the breeze of cold air. "Catharine was alive and wants to talk to me after four hundred years? What the hell was she doing during four hundred years?" I stopped and hold the rails in the edge of the rooftop.

 

  "What are you going to do, now that the first gifted was alive?" He asked. I sighed and watching the sky to turn into bright blue, "I said I don't want to talk about her, Icelus." I mentioned his name. "Ah! You finally called my name." I heard a voice coming behind me.

 

  I turn around and saw a handsome man with a red scar in his left eye, wearing a black sweater and dark skinnies and has a mysterious Scythe in his back. "You finally mention my name. I thought you will never call my name." He smiled grimly to me. I sighed again and craned my neck back to the sky, "I thought you will never showed up."

 

  "You did not notice, little deer? I was in the party, watching you all the time." he said.

 

  That's when I looked to him, "You were the one who lured me to the old library room." I said. "Ding! You have got the correct answer." he said, "Heh, really funny." I said with a bored look.

 

  The Icelus who whispered in me was very different than the Icelus who formed into human body, he is a jerk. "What do you really want, Icelus?" I asked him again. 

 

  He smirked and leaned his body against the rails, "Nothing, but exchanging words with you." He answered and scratched his wild dark spiky hair. I glance at him, "You should be punishing evil souls in the underworld." I said. "Yes." He answered and crossed his arms, "I am getting bored of it, I am punishing people upon their dreams while sleeping."

 

  "Oh, I forgot that you are the infamous Icelus the Nightmare." I said.

 

  Icelus gazed upon the stars, "That is why I offered you wings to fly at night." he said. "Well, thanks." then I looked down and saw some people walking around the street, "At least, though you're evil, you still help me." I uttered. "One more thing I have to say, little deer." he looked to me in a serious way, "If you defeat Hyuna, I might able to control your body for a while and send her to the underworld with me." 

 

  I sighed, "Fine, but don't scare anyone even Seohyun while you control me." I said. "I swear to the River Styx." He raised his arm as he swear.

 

  That makes me smile a little, the sun is already rising. "Well, you have to hide now. The sun is rising." I said and slowly pulled away from the rails, "We will see each other later night." He slowly walked away then he cooly waved his hand, "Adieu." then he became a shadow of mine.

 

  Just in time, I heard howl coming from the other corner of the rooftop, I know it's Hyojeon, who had been changed. She became more likely a dog but not a literal dog, she act a little like them. I smiled and whistled, she quickly heard it and tilted her head around and see me.

 

  "Oh! Hey there, Yoona eonnie!" She ran then hugged me. "Hi, uhh... Hyojeon." I greeted, "Did I wake you up?" She asked, "No, no. I'm already here before the day breaks." I answered with a smile.

 

  "Why are you here, eonnie?" She asked me again, I shrugged, "I wake up early to see the sunrise." I answered. She smiled and looked in the horizon, "I always wanted to see how the sun rising." She muttered, "I wanted to see how beautiful it will rise, eonnie." Then she looked to me again.

 

  I walked closer to her, "You know, I never wanted to go out in daylight." I said, "Why?" She asked. I'm still staring at the sun, "Because... I hated it." I answered, "Weird, huh? You never go out at day because you hated it." She clarified. I nodded, "I don't want seeing myself at day being a deceiving beauty that turned out to be a monster at night." I explained.

 

  "I don't get your point, eonnie." She said.

 

  "I'm not much into revealing myself to others, Hyojeon. It's better to keep secret than to share it." I turn my foot and walked away and leaving her there.

 

  "You're not alone, eonnie."

 

  I stopped on my tracks as I heard her utter, I turn around and gave a last glance on her. "Everyone has a secret, eonnie." She said with a smile which revealing her two short but sharp canines.

 


 

  "Catharine..."

 

  The gifted opened her eyes as she saw Summer was in front of her desk, she quickly fixed herself up, "Oh, it's you." She greeted and stretched her body a little. Summer looked to her with confusion, "Is it your habit on sleeping in your desk?" She asked. Catharine pick up all the papers on the top of the table and put it in one place. "Sometimes and always." Said Catharine.

 

  "Wow, you had your own bedroom but you just often using it." Summer commented. Catharine touch her temples, "Why are you here by the way?" She asked the young fiery witch.

 

  "First off, I'm not really here. I just used a clone to come in here. Second, I have to tell you something." She answered. "Go on." Catharine said. "The treaty between RHA and BBS has been broken." Summer answered. "And the RHA will be bombing the parts of South Korea."

 

  "Then..."

 

  "Vivian said that she has the files of Kim Hyojeon, she will deliver it to you later." Summer answered. "Speaking of Hyojeon..." She took out a folder and put it on her desk in front of Catharine, "We have found the real suspect in the case of Commander Jiyong." Summer looked down as she knew who was the suspect.

 

  Catharine get the folder and unfold it, she gasped as she read the file, "I knew this would have happened." Summer whispered under her breath. "How could possibly that this person is the one who killed him?" She turned the page and read more informations, "The CCTVs inside of his house was fixed few days ago, and they already announced that she is the primary suspect." Summer stated.

 

  "Did they already know?" She looked to the taller woman, "None of them, Catharine. But Taeyeon." She answered. "We knew that she is both loyal to the company and her family. I don't know what is she going to do now." She added.

 

  Then Catharine clasped her hands and sighed, "The best thing we do is to stay out of it first." She said. "What? Are we not going to--" Summer reacts quickly but Catharine wasn't finish her words, "This is not our case, Summer. If we stepped into their problem, we will be all affected." then she eyed her with a calm look, "I know you were part of them but I don't want you to join their problem because you are with us now. Our problem is our problem. We will not leak our problem to others."

 

  As Summer heard what Catharine said to her, she snorted and looked to her in disbelief, "Unbelievable." she muttered, "I thought you were part of them too?"

 

  But Catharine shook her head, "Not anymore, Summer." then she picked the porcelain queen of chess on the corner of the desk. "Let me explain you this," she showed the queen of chess in her hand, "The queen of chess is the only hope for the king before the rook and bishop, when the queen was eaten by an enemy, the other chess piece especially the king will continue to attack. But the king, it only moves one by one so it cannot help for the battle but protected by the knights, bishops, rooks and the pawns. The king needs the queen the most, because it can move freely, attacks whatever it wants."

 

  "Another lecture again huh?" Summer said.

 

  Catharine put the queen down, "It's about them with me, Summer. I had been the one they served, I had been the one who helped them and I had been the one who died for them." she said. "After that, they lived without a queen to be served."

 

  "So you actually leave them, right?" She said. But the gifted shook her head again, "No, I tried to look for them. Town to town. But I worked hard as I got what I needed, money." Summer was still in the same expression. Then Catharine chuckled and combed her hair by her fingers, "Why am I telling you these things?"

 

  Catharine stood up from the swiveling chair and walked towards the window behind her, "Got some words from Hyuna?" She asked the taller woman. "One of our spies told me that she had already found the secret sanctuary for the great tragedy." 

 

  "She is getting ready for it... I see."

 

  "What should we do, Catharine?" Summer asked, the gifted turn around and pointed her finger to something, "Tell Seohyun what you told me, she already knows about it. Then tell her to be cautious and vigilant." 

 

  Summer nodded and was going to fade away but Catharine almost forgot what she was going to say, "One more thing, Summer."

 

  "Hm?"

 

  "Tell this to her... privately." She ordered, "As you wish..." Then Summer's clone faded and dissapeared inside her room.

 

  Catharine craned back her neck to the window, she stared at the blue sky, trees dancing by the wind and birds flying above the ground. Her dark crimson irises doesn't fit the color of what she see right now. She is still thinking of her until now. She closed her eyes and sighed through her nose, "I won't let Yoona to forget me." She muttered and clenched her hands.

 

  "None of the people in this world will never feel the envy, including me." As she uttered the last words, one of the trees explode with an invicible force outside that made by her. "Yoona will be mine, Seohyun." Her lips curved as the ferocious look through the glass window, "Just wait."

 

 

---