First Day Back

Two Melodies

 

 

The fact that I heard him say my name and saw his face, made me scream internally. I don’t mean scream as in scared. But scream as in excited. It has been 3 long years since I last saw him and those last three years were spent in civil conversations ever since the misunderstanding.

 

Also, when I saw his grinning face, it reminded me of the very first time I saw him. That was in Florida, summer vacation almost four years ago. I didn’t know his name yet, and he was with his Jimin hyung. They  helped me fix the chains on my bike. I also remembered Luhan had been livid when he saw me being escorted by two “strangers” instead of my brothers who were supposed to have been with me, biking. Lu ge was scary. I felt bad for Jungkook and Jimin that time. We were not even allowed to make friends with them. I’m glad that it has changed now. The oldies had finally accepted that we were going to be connected with the Kims and Mins for the rest of our lives…I think.

 

I filled my mind with four-year old memories. It was the time when everything was less awkward. After the misunderstanding, things have sort of slowly fallen apart. Well, not really that far apart. But you could sense that there has been an invisible wall that’s been there. Honestly, I still sort of blamed myself for the bad stuff that happened before. I have never forgiven myself totally.

 

With him smiling in front of me, the old guilt had resurfaced. I hesitated at first. I just stood there, unable to move forward. He tilted his head and sighed. Then, he slowly walked forward toward me.

 

“Wu Yinzi.” He repeated my name.

 

I managed to smile a bit. He stopped in front of me and snorted as he watched my awkward face. I had started to chew on my lower lip. He chuckled and combed his hair with his fingers. I fought the urge to grab his hand and punch him.

 

JK: Finally.

Me: Huh?

JK: You’ve been gone a long time, you know.

Me: Oh. Hmm… Yes.

JK: You owe me something.

Me: Uh..

JK: Hmm. You’ve changed.

Me: Me?

JK: Yes.

 

He scrunched up his nose and exhaled a little loudly for my hearing. I huffed to ease the tension I was feeling deep inside my stomach.

 

Me: What do you mean I’ve changed?

JK: You…are…taller.

Me: Ahh..

JK: And you’ve become more…

Me: …yes?

JK: Mmm, nothing.

 

Then he patted my shoulder. I swear I blushed, but he didn’t see it, because he had turned around. I saw him make some hand signals to the other students he was with, before he turned to look at me again.

 

JK: I have a meeting with the skateboard team in a bit, but…I was wondering if you could go with me for ice cream? I mean, catch up on stuff…you know.

Me: Uhm…okay.

JK: Tomorrow? After class?

Me: Sure.

JK: My last class is at the senior’s campus tomorrow. I’ll pick you up here?

Me: Okay. My last class is here.

JK: I’ll see you, then.

Me: Okay.

JK: I better go now. Kai doesn’t like us to be late.

Me: Hahaha. Alright.

 

He had scratched his neck and snorted. Even if he and Kai were friends, I could see that he didn’t want my brother to scold him for being late. Especially from talking to me. LOL. I smiled. He snorted again and grinned.

 

JK: See you tomorrow, Wu Yinzi.

Me: See you, too, Kim Jungkook.

 

I dropped my gaze and started walking toward the library. I could hear his friends asking him who I was as I passed by. I didn’t turn around to see what his reaction was. I was too chicken to even meet his eyes. I almost stumbled as I walked a little faster. There were other students who was walking the opposite direction, and I sort of made them an excuse for my klutzy actions. But to those who were probably watching me intently, they would know I stumbled because of my own klutziness.

 

I reached the safety of the library and went inside to hide my now red-as-an-apple cheeks. I looked for a seat that was far away from everyone else.

 

It was so not me. I think it was the first time that I hid myself from the rest of FIS. Before I left for London, I was one of those faces in this school that was too public. What with having 12 other brothers who went to this school. I was popular because of them. Now, I couldn’t even face Jungkook properly.

 

Why did he have this effect on me?

 

I was expecting a very smooth conversation with him. But when I saw him, everything went blank.

Ughhhhh!

 


 

Thirty minutes later, my phone beeped. Sehun sent me a text message.

 

“Xiao Yi, I’m right outside the library. Let’s go home.”

 

I got up my seat and went out. I found his car parked outside and I walked over to it. He had the windows rolled down. Kai was also there. His car was parked behind Sehun and he stuck his head outside the open window. He called out to Sehun.

 

Kai: Sehun!

Sehun: What?

Kai: Let’s drop by the ice cream shop near home.

Sehun: Waeyo?

Kai: I’m craving for ice cream, dummy.

Sehun: Alright.

 

Sehun had reached out his hand to open the passenger door. I slid in and closed the door.

 

Sehun: Buckle up, mei baobei.

Me: Mm-hmm.

Sehun: Ice cream…ice cream…ice cream…

 

He chanted to himself as he started the ignition. He glanced for a bit at the rear view mirror and stepped on the accelerator. Sehun was a racecar driver once again. He chuckled as he heard me grumble.

 

Sehun: Relax. We won’t crash, if that’s what you’re afraid of.

Me: You better not crash, or else.

Sehun: Or else what?

Me: You know what I can do.

 

I wiggled my eyebrows at him. He smirked and looked at the rear view mirror again. He slowed down and reached a hand to poke my sides. He chuckled when I dodged him.

 

Me: You’ve changed a lot.

Sehun: Oh? *snickers*

Me: You never bullied me before.

Sehun: I grew up, mei baobei.

Me: Then, I wish you haven’t grown up.

Sehun: That’s not possible, you know.

Me: Unfortunately.

Sehun: I just realized it’s fun to annoy you. Hahaha!

Me: Shut up.

Sehun: Okay.

 

He laughed. I frowned and placed my backpack in between me and him. He laughed all the more.

 

Ughh

 

Kai honked once and Sehun looked at the rearview mirror once again. Kai signaled for Sehun to take the left on the next block. Sehun nodded and turned left. We were on course the ice cream shop street now. Kai was serious when he said that he was craving for ice cream.

 

Sehun stopped the car and parked it on the sidewalk. Kai did the same and he got out. Sehun motioned for me to follow them to the ice cream shop. The two locked the cars before we went inside the shop. I followed them.

 

Kai was first to open the door and it tinkled. He giggled. It sounded like the tinkling of the ice cream truck’s bell. Sehun snorted and flicked Kai’s head.

 

Kai: *bursts out laughing and walked like a penguin*

Sehun: Are you imitating Kyungie just now?

Kai: Pfffffttt hahahaha.

Me: You still bully him even if he is not here.

Kai: That bell sound reminds me of him.

Sehun: Now that you mention it….it does remind me of him, too.

 

And the two started giggling. We were in front of the large freezers where the ice cream were stored. Kai picked up two ice cream bars and a cup. Sehun was still contemplating which flavor of the ice cream cups he wanted to get. I picked up a vanilla-flavored ice cream cup.

 

Me: Who’s gonna pay for this?

Kai: Ah, I will pay for that.

Sehun: You’re gonna pay for this, too?

Kai: You have money.

Sehun: Tch. Stingy.

Kai: Tch. Stingy.

Sehun: Fine.

Kai: Good.

Me: Can I have two?

Kai: Okay.

Sehun: I’ll pay for your second one.

Me: Geez, thanks.

 

Happy with our ice cream, the two paid for our purchases. Then we went on our way.

 

Seeing the familiar driveway made my insides churn again. The first time I was seeing our driveway from school since I arrived from London. And I expected to see the older boys again. Sehun and Kai parked the cars in front of the house. They didn’t bother to park it in the basement. It was then that I remembered that there were only three Wus in this house tonight.

 

Papa was in Thailand. Mama was in London with Luhan, Suho, Lay, Tao and Kyungie. The last two would be going to the US to start their university education in a few days. Xiumin, Kris, Baekhyun, Chen and Chanyeol were in France. Like Tao and Kyungie, the last two would be going back to Japan to continue their college life. Kai, Sehun and me were the only ones here in Beijing.

 

I sighed and told myself that it was inevitable. We were not getting younger, and it was but normal that people grow up, go to college, make a living, and whatever else. Sehun was first to reach the front door. He turned the knob open, swinging his backpack on his other hand. I was behind him, Kai bringing in the rear.

 

“Whoaaa!”

 

“Finally. You guys are home.”

 

Chanyeol  and Chen were lounging lazily on the living room sofa.

 

Kai: What the hell?

Chen: Whooo-ohh… Way to greet your hyungs?

Chanyeol: No welcome home hug?

Sehun: Oh, please.

Chanyeol: Ouch, Shi Xun.

Sehun: Why are you here, anyway?

Kai: You’re supposed to be in France, right?

Chen: Baekhyun kicked us out.

Chanyeol: Ne.

Me: Why?

Chanyeol: The little hyung was expecting us to share with the expenses while we’re there.

Kai: Aren’t you supposed to, though?

Chen: Nope.

Sehun: Oh please.

Me: Kicked you out. Hahah.

Chanyeol: Xiumin hyung bought a microwave oven and Lord Baekhyun all but bowed down. Pffffft.

Chen: I would have bought him something too, had he not told us to go back home.

Sehun: And what would you have bought him?

Chen: A clothesline.

Chanyeol: Hahahahahahahaha!

Me: No wonder.

Sehun: Hopeless.

Chanyeol: You sound like Baekhyun just now.

Sehun: Please, hyung.

Chen: Maybe I should have bought him new doorknobs?

Chanyeol: Yeah. I think I broke one of the doorknobs there.

Chen: Oh?

Chanyeol: Yep.

Kai: Which door?

Chanyeol: His bathroom, I think.

Me: You guys…

Chanyeol: Ahhhh…Xiao Yi…come to oppa.

 

He made grabby hands at me while making a pouty face. I evaded him and started walking toward the stairs. He reached out and caught the hem of my skirt. I swung my backpack and hit him in the face.

 

Chanyeol: Owww! You hate oppa now?

Me: You’re bullying me again. I’m no longer a little kid.

Chanyeol: But you are our mei baobei.

 

He pretended to frown. I made a face and rolled my eyes.

 

Me: Does papa even know you’re back here?

Chen: Yep.

Me: Really now?

Chen: Nope.

Chanyeol: No need to tell him. We’re gonna leave for Japan in two days, anyway.

Chen: Yep.

Me: Papa still needs to know.

Sehun: I’ll call papa.

Chen: Shut up, Sehun.

Kai: Hahahahaha. I bet you’re gonna get your butts kicked once papa knew what you did in France.

Chen: We didn’t do anything.

Chanyeol: I just broke a doorknob.

Chen: Yep.

Kai: Something tells me there’s more to that doorknob than what you are willing to tell.

Chanyeol: I’m honest.

 

But then his eyes showed hints of mischief.

Trust my brothers to stay mischievous. Especially Chen and Chanyeol.

 

Oh please. Yo oppa is home and I'm supposed to meet Jungkook tomorrow after class.

 

Help?

 



 

♡JungYi♡  met and talked again face to face. Chen and Chanyeol back from France. Will Jungkook and Xiao Yi be able to go for ice cream the next day with Chanyeol back in Beijing for two days?