Graduation

Two Melodies

 

 

That date was one of my memorable dates with him. He was too patient with me as he taught me how to skateboard. Prior to that, he treated me out to lunch. I had a feeling that he was making the most of the time he spent with me, because he would be away from me for a long time when he graduates in a few months. I tried to hide the sadness I felt and just let myself enjoy the moment with him. I know I'd keep reminiscing the time before he brought me home.

We had watched the sun set together. Somehow he found a spot up on a hill that was perfect for that moment. We just sat on the grass, under a tree, looking up at the sky and waiting for the sun to say goodnight, and the moon to say hello. He had likened the sun setting and the moon rising to our current situation.

"The sun may be setting right now, but you know the next thing would be seeing the moon high up there. It's gonna light up the dark sky, you know. And not only that, the stars would also shine along. They will light the dark sky until the dawn when the sun returns to shine again. Just like me. I may be going away for a while, but I'm going to come back, and I won't leave you in the dark. Your family and friends will be here to help light your dark skies until I come back."

I had rested my head on his shoulder after hearing him say that. He had wrapped his arm around my shoulder and held me close. I suddenly said something without thinking.

"The moon is a satellite. Mobile phones use satellites to get connected to another mobile phone. I hope you will use the moon to call me when you're away."

He had chuckled and nodded his head. The sun faded in the distance after that. It was like a shifting schedule of the sun and moon, and the time they changed, the sky gave lots of colors as if to show that the connection of the sun and moon was more than just day going into night, but it somehow showed that the connection was also a transition of one beautiful moment going to the next beautiful moment.

 


 


Graduation day.

Not only was Jungkook graduating, but Sehun and Kai as well. My brothers were looking dapper in their suits as they stood in front of the floor to ceiling mirror on the landing of the stairs. They were admiring themselves, patting each other as they compliment each other as well.

Kai's mom was in Beijing to attend his graduation and she was staying at a hotel. Papa didn't have a choice but to be civil with her as he spoke with her on the phone, informing her the date and time of the graduation. Kai had refused to tell his mom himself, wanting papa to do it. He had said that it was high time that his eomma and papa be civil with each other, even just for one day. Mama just shrugged it off, not wanting to comment. Mama couldn't say no to that, knowing it was Kai's eomma. Even if the atmosphere was awkward, mama wanted the moment perfect for Kai as well, so she urged papa to at least temporarily postpone having a verbal war with MK.

Mama didn't want to miss Sehun's graduation, so she came home. Suho and Lay had sent their congratulations and some gifts that they had wrapped in Japanese paper. Sehun and his love for Japan was too obvious, because as soon as he saw the giftwrapper, he wanted to open them right away. Suho got him a set of anime figures that he ordered online. Lay had given him a CD with songs that he recorded while playing the piano.

Chen, Chanyeol, Kyungie, and Tao also sent their congratulations in gift boxes that arrived a few days before the graduation day.

Kris and Baekhyun had to stay in Phuket, but was able to convince papa that 2 days in Beijing was like 2 minutes away from Phuket. They wanted to attend the graduation ceremony of Kai and Sehun.

So yeah, I was on my way down the stairs when I saw Kai and Sehun admiring themselves in front of the tall mirror on the stairs' landing. I stopped when I was already behind them.

Me: Hi. Can you please excuse me?
Sehun: The way is wide, meimei, you can pass.
Me: No. I want to look at myself in the mirror too.
Kai: What for? Don't you have a mirror in your room?
Me: I want to look at myself on this mirror.
Kai: You're being mean, Xiao Yi. It's our day. Juseyo.
Sehun: Yeah. It's our day. We're the lead stars today.
Me: Hmm...mean.

I made a face and deliberately elbowed both of them as I passed. I flipped my hair as I walked down the last steps.

Kai: Yah! Just because you're the youngest-
Sehun: Yah! It's our day today. Tch!

I just chuckled and made my way into the formal living room. Papa had called a professional photographer to document the day. We were supposed to pose for a family photo before heading to school for the ceremony.

Luhan was already there, fixing his tie. His hair was slicked back and he looked so handsome. 

Luhan: How do I look?
Me: Pretty.
Luhan: Seriously, Xiao Yi.
Me: Handsome of course.
Luhan: Hmm...I know right?

I snorted. He lightly hit my as he disapproved of my snort.

Luhan: Don't let papa hear you snorting.
Me: Ah...
Luhan: You're a girl, for the Nth time.
Me: Ehehehe.

Xiumin and Baek appeared at the doorway. Xiumin was fixing his cuffs and Baek combing his hair. 

Xiumin: Those two still not done talking to mirror-mirror on the wall.
Luhan: Still waiting for evil stepmother to show up, I think.
Baek: Who?
Xiumin: You know that old hag from Snow White?
Baek: Oh...reminds me of someone.
Xiumin/Luhan/Me: Who?
Baek: MK.
Luhan/Xiumin: BAIXIAN!
Baek: What?
Luhan: That's not very nice. She's Kai's mom, if you forgot?
Baek: I haven't forgotten Lu ge. Especially that time when she just showed up here, uninvited and...made mama cry.
Luhan: Please. Not now. Let's give today to Sehun and Kai.
Xiumin: Yeah. Mama Wu is fine with MK coming, so I guess we should respect it too.
Luhan: Exactly.

I didn't comment, knowing I would be silenced by the oldies. We didn't really talk about that incident with MK before. It divided us and created tension in the house.

Kris: Yo, wassup? You guys look...uh...serious.

Luhan used his eyes to point at Baek. Kris understood when Luhand did that. He turned to look at Baek and raised an eyebrow. Baek also understood that eyebrow meant a question was asked silently. 

Baek: I was only describing MK the best way I can.
Kris: Oh? And what kind of description was it?
Luhan: Li Shang, don't ask him anymore. Let's not repeat history.
Kris: Oh...I think I know what you mean.

Sehun and Kai walked in the room. 

Kai: Hello. Oh. Why so serious?
Kris: Nothing. Nothing.

Luhan and Xiumin distracted me by pulling me away from the others. I was about to say something and the two had noticed. They acted quickly and pretended they were ushering me to the middle of the room. Papa and mama arrived with the photographer team. They had been in papa's office. 

Papa: Alright. Everybody here?

He looked around and sighed. He probably thought about the others who couldn't make it. And to be honest, it felt incomplete. I was used to having all 13 of us during celebrations like this before. But times have changed and there were circumstances that we couldn't foresee and choices that had to be made, priorites that had to be set, and decisions that had to be followed because it's just the way it was supposed to be.

MK arrived a few minutes later. The air became stiff and tense as she entered the formal living room. Being a model, she walked with grace. But the way she looked at papa reminded me of that last time she had been in here. It was not a secret that she was still inlove with papa. Mama didn't look at her in the eye, and kept by papa's side. Papa didn't talk to her except when he welcomed her in and thanked her for coming. Kai sensed the tension, and looked uneasy the whole time.

We took several photos together as a family, and Sehun and Kai had solo photos taken, as well. Papa, Mama, and Sehun took a photo together, and papa, MK, and Kai also posed for a photo together. Luhan had stood in front of mama to block her sight from looking at them. Kris and Xiumin had stood beside him to block her sight as well. I was sitting beside mama and I clung to her arm. Sehun was on his other side, clinging to her other arm as well.

I couldn't see MK, but if I could, I knew she was doing something to disrupt the peace and quiet. I felt bad for Kai who was stuck in the middle. He couldn't say anything bad because it was his eomma, and he couldn't be happy to have a "complete" family because we were there.

It was one of those times that I had to blame papa, but only in my mind. It hurt me to think bad of papa like that, but the situation made me feel that way.

Finally, the photoshoot was done. As the photographer team packed their stuff, Kai had herded his mom outside. He had told us he'd be going to school ahead of us, sensing his mom was about to do something trivial again. Kris and Xiumin volunteered to go with them. They wanted to be Kai's moral support at that time and we couldn't agree more.

 


 


At school, the atmosphere changed. The mood also changed.

The school was in a festive mood. It was always the case during graduation. Every year since five years ago, one of my brothers graduates in this school. Today was the last graduation I'd be attending for my brothers. The next one would be mine. 

Our school was one of those who celebrated graduation without the togas and caps The graduates wore the complete school uniform. They sat in front and the guests at the back.

This year's class valedictorian gave her speech, and most of the mothers cried because of her tribute to them, being a scholar of the school. Mama wiped tears from her eyes, and papa offered his hanky. That was a random thing he did, but to me it was sweet. Especially knowing that MK was seated somewhere else in the crowd. Papa was sweet when he just exerts the effort.

One by one, the emcee called out the graduates and the school officials handed out their diplomas. Jungkook went up when his name was called. I automatically clapped and suddenly remembered to take a picture of the moment. I smiled as I was able to capture the exact moment that he received the diploma. Kai and Sehun beamed as they went up to receive their diplomas. I took pictures of them as well. Papa's hired photographer team went to work. 

After the diploma, special awards were given as well. My brothers received some of them as well. Jungkook got several special citations, too. Kim Jaejoong looked proud as he clapped for his youngest son. Jungkook's mom was smiling and wiping her tears everytime her son's name was called to receive an award. It was the same case with mama. Whenever Kai and Sehun's names were called, she was teary-eyed. 

 


 


Graduation dinner was celebrated at Fusion. Papa and Kim Jaejoong's business friends went to congratulate the boys. The Mins were invited of course. Namjoon was thankful when I volunteered to babysit Aein for a bit as he enjoyed some time talking to J who seemed like he had a ton of ideas to tell him. It was as if the two didn't see each other everyday.

Jungkook kept being cornered by people who congratulated him. I waited patiently, watching him as Aein ate her favorite Korean fried chicken. I looked away when Jungkook saw me. He had a smirk on his face as he walked toward the table where Aein and I sat.

Him: Hi. I'm Jungkook. You are?
Me: Hi. I'm Yinzi. Congratulations, by the way.
Him: Thanks. Do you mind if I sit here?
Me: Hmm, nope. You can sit down.
Him: Thank you. 

Aein didn't mind him as he went to sit at our table. He patted her head, she just kept munching, focused on her food.

Him: I leave for California in two days.
Me: So soon?
Him: Apparently, I need to get settled there and get used to stuff like the travel time from the house to the university.
Me: Oh.
Him: Are you mad?
Me: No, I'm not mad.
Him: But I'm leaving...soon.
Me: You're coming back, though.
Him: Ah, ne. 

He chuckled and looked at me in the eyes. He stared at me for what seemed like forever. It was as if he was memorizing my face. I got conscious, so I looked away. I pretended to watch Aein, but actually monitoring him from my peripheral.

Him: I know you're watching me, too.
Me: How'd you-?
Him: It's obvious, Xiao Yi. I haven't taken my eyes off you, so I know when you're looking at me and when you're not.
Me: I'm not going anywhere...
Him: But I am.
Me: Yeah.
Him: You're mad.
Me: No.
Him: Seems like it.
Me: You have to go, though.
Him: Yes, but-
Me: It's okay...oppa.
Him: *smirks* 
Me: What?
Him: You, calling me oppa. I'm going to miss that.
Me: There's the thing called telephone, you know.
Him: It's different when you say it like this. Face to face.

I stared at him. He seemed to accept the staring challenge with me, so he stared back. I rested my chin on the back of my hand. He leaned forward and tilted his head to one side. I had to fight back my smile. He smirked again and did that side smile that always set my insides sommersaulting.

Aein: Chicken.

Both of us looked at Aein at the same time. Aein was holding a chicken leg bone, and she handed it to me. I asked if she was done eating, but she shook her head and pointed at the plate that was near me. She couldn't reach it, and she wanted some more chicken.

Jungkook took the chicken bone and placed it on the side of the plate. He gave her another piece of chicken.

"I think you're both ready to become parents."

We turned to see whoever that voice belonged to.

Namjoon.

He was grinning. He went to sit opposite Aein and patted her head. Aein got up from her chair and went to sit on his lap. He laughed, a little embarrassed.

Jungkook: Hyung, I think you're the one who's ready to become a dad.
Namjoon: Let me find a girlfriend first, then we'll see.

Aein looked at her older brother and frowned at the mention of "girlfriend".

Namjoon: You don't want Namuppa to have a girlfriend? Waeyo?
Aein: Shireoyo.
Jungkook: Hahahaha! That's a bummer hyung.
Me: I think she's scared she'll lose you to your future girlfriend. 
Namjoon: Yeah, I guess. I'm the only one she sees here, now that Taehyung and Yoongi hyung are in Italy. Eomma rarely allows her to go with her to the clinic. She doesn't have that much playmates.
Jungkook: J hyung is her only other playmate, ne?
Namjoon: Ne. It's a good thing that J doesn't mind playing with her.
Jungkook: Ah, he won't mind. His mental age is five.

J overheard him, as he was only sitting a few tables away. He stood up, looking disgruntled. When he reached our table, he stood over Jungkook. But Jungkook just laughed and teased his hyung.

J: Yah! I'm older than you.
Jungkook: Okay, okay...
J: If I'm five, you are a fetus!
Jungkook: Aniyo, aniyo...ah no, no.
J: I don't understand why you even graduated high school when you're just a fetus.
Namjoon: A fetus who's gonna get married soon.
J: Xiao Yi is not even born yet. LOL.
Me: Wh-
Jungkook: Hyung. Juseyo.
J: You should be thankful that Xiao Yi is here, or else.
Namjoon: Minors here, shhh...

We almost forgot Aein was there. Her face looked at each of us in wonder as we talked. J put his hands together and bowed at Aein.

J: Don't be noisy like J oppa, okay? Be a good aegi girl. Bbuing bbuing!

LOL.

 


 

I didn't go to the airport to see him leave for California. I knew he understood why. Although we already talked about it, I still had a hard time accepting the fact that he would be gone for at least two or three years. I now felt the way he did when I left for London before. I called him an hour before his flight and told him to take care and that I'd be just right here, waiting for when he will come back.

He had comforted me over the phone by singing to me. He was going to travel alone, he said. His eomma, appa and J hyung had seen him until check-in area. He was already ready for boarding and was just waiting for his flight to be announced.

I suddenly became guilty for not seeing him off.

"Just close your eyes and listen to me. It's just like I'm beside you. No distance can separate the kind of connection I have with you. And that's until forever."

That was what comforted me. 

 



 

吴爱你们!

Nope. This is not the last chapter. There is something that needs to be done before we close this story. ^_^

Hint: It's got something to do with a bicycle. LOL. 

Oh, and by the way, I hope you show the same love to my new short fic about Yoongi,   "The Boss and the Babysitter"