First Melody

Two Melodies

Chanyeol and Chen are back in Beijing for the next two days. Don’t get me wrong. I like them being back home. But it also meant that I will be guarded as a high profile prisoner. Especially by Chanyeol. He’s pretty much stayed overprotective of me. If Luhan and Kris were home, they’d be devising a schedule for me for the rest of the school year. But since Luhan and Kris graduated from college, they were given a month vacation by papa before they start to work in the family business.

 

Some of you might ask who are Luhan, Kris, Chanyeol and Chen to me. Well, they are my brothers. We are thirteen, to be exact. I am the only girl. There are six of us who came from one mother, and there are seven other boys who have different mothers. Papa was not so loyal to mama in his younger days. Luhan, Suho, Baekhyun, Tao and Sehun are my brothers who came from the same mom, our mom Youmei. Xiumin, Kris, Lay, Chen, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, and Kai are our half brothers.

 

Yeah. I’m lucky.

 

But not today.

 

I’m supposed to meet Jungkook after class this afternoon and I’m worried that I won’t be able to go with him because of Chanyeol. I fondly call him Yo oppa, but since I was kinda freaked out, I call him by his complete first name.

 

I looked at my reflection in the mirror for the third time. I wanted to make sure I looked presentable enough. I’d be in school for the rest of the day and I didn’t wanna look like I was some kind of cave girl until that afternoon. I wore my school uniform everyday of course, so I guess there wasn’t much I could do with my outfit. I took my hairbrush and combed my hair once more. I wished my hair would stay in place until later this afternoon.

 

Sehun knocked on my door and told me to hurry up. He made it his promise to drive me to school and back home for the rest of the school year. Chanyeol had wanted to drive me to school, but Sehun told him that his responsibility was to stay at home and keep the house safe. Chen had gone swimming as early as five in the morning. The two had called papa the other night to tell him that they were back in Beijing for two days and were going to Japan after. Papa had asked why and Chanyeol told him that they missed our house. Chen had snorted and mouthed “liar.” Chanyeol kicked him from under the table. Kai and Sehun kept clearing their throats loud enough for papa to hear. I stayed silent. I knew papa would find out soon, anyway. I just laughed silently in my corner.

 

Anyway, I made another turn in front of the mirror before going out. I had applied light makeup to make my cheeks look a bit pink. I had pale skin, so I needed to either slap my cheeks or wear makeup to make it blush. LOL. I grabbed my backpack and hurried downstairs. Sehun was waiting by the door. Kai was already outside and wiping his side mirror. Chanyeol was sitting in the receiving area, his eyes wandered from my head to foot, then he made a face.

 

Chanyeol: Wipe that makeup off your face.

Me: Why?

Chanyeol: I…it doesn’t…

Me: Oppa, I don’t wanna look like a vampire.

Chanyeol: Being pale doesn’t mean being a vampire.

Me: As if you haven’t worn makeup before…

Chanyeol: I…you…. If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t have done it. Tch.

 

I snorted. Sehun almost choked. We were reminiscing the times when I forced Chanyeol, Kai, Tao and Sehun to dress up as girls. I was four years old that time. Because I was the only girl, I didn’t have other playmates except my brothers. Chanyeol was one of the brothers I was closest to, so it was inevitable that he’d do what I wanted them to do. Including wearing girl clothes, shoes and putting on mama’s makeup.

 

I waved at Chanyeol and walked past Sehun out the door. I flipped my hair and pulled Sehun by the arm as I passed by.

 

Bye hyung.

“Shut up Cinderella.”

 

Sehun was laughing as I pulled him out the door. I stood in front of the passenger door of his car and told him to hurry up and open it. I didn’t wanna be late for school. He obliged and unlocked the door. I quickly slid in and buckled up. I checked my reflection in the side mirror and rearview mirror again. Sehun raised an eyebrow as he slid in the driver’s seat. He watched me as he buckled up.

 

Sehun: What are you doing?

Me: Huh?

Sehun: The mirror is going to crack soon.

Me: What?

Sehun: It’s like you’ve been checking your reflection since mama gave birth to you.

Me: That’s exaggerated.

Sehun: Exactly. How many times will you be checking the mirror?

Me: Until I’m sure that I look…

Sehun: Oh…oh…you have a date?

Me: What? No. Why?

Sehun: Ohhhh….hahaha. You do have a date. Tell me, who?

Me: What date?

Sehun: You were not like this yesterday.

Me: So? I’m not even old enough to…

Sehun: Right. Seventeen? Not old enough. *snorts*

 

Sehun gave me the best excuse. Yes. How could I forget? I turned seventeen just this summer. And according to papa’s rules, we were not allowed to date unless we were seventeen. I was seventeen. I was legal. Ha. Ha. Ha. Chanyeol couldn’t say no if I asked permission. But…do I have to ask permission? I was legal to date. Hahaha.

 

I think I laughed aloud, because Sehun eyed me as though I was crazy. I grinned at him and continued to check my reflection in the side mirror. I took out my phone and used my front camera to check my face. Again.

 

Hopeless.

 

Sehun was indeed starting to sound like Baekhyun.

 


 

I fidgeted the whole day in class. I was uneasy. I kept glancing out the window and daydreaming it was already after class.  I had two classes in the senior campus and I was on the lookout for Jungkook as I made my way to the next class. I didn’t see him though. I had hoped to see him during lunch, but wasn’t lucky enough to catch him.

 

I saw Wang Yibo and Cho Sungyeon instead.

 

I sat alone at my lunch table. My friends didn’t show up on time. Yue had texted that she’d be skipping lunch today because she had to finish something for one of her class group reports. Lingyan and Shanna didn’t show up until about five minutes to my next class.

 

Cho Sungyeon had deliberately sat at the table next to mine. Wang Yibo followed him. Sungyeon sat on the chair facing me. He smiled and waved. I faked a smile and looked away. I heard someone whistle. I turned to see who it was. It was Sungyeon. He was whistling to get my attention. I saw Yibo slap his arm and bowed a little at me, when he saw that I turned my head around to look at them. Yibo mouted a “dui bu qi” and smiled shyly before facing Sungyeon again and kicking him from under the table. Sungyeon winked at me and raised his legs to avoid Yibo’s kicks.

 

I snorted and focused on my food. I shouldn’t be distracted by these two playboys. My good mood shouldn’t be ruined. I was meeting Jungkook later.

 

I smiled.

 

The thought of Jungkook made me smile.

 

“Wu Yinzi.”

 

I had thought it was Jungkook. But I should have known. It wasn’t his voice. Nevertheless, I looked up from my food and saw that it was Sungyeon who called my name. He knew my name. Why? OMG. Stalker. Wait. He’s in my Anthropology class. . How unlucky I was. I stared at him. He grinned at me and waved again. Yibo muttered something from under his breath. Sungyeon was the one who kicked him from under the table this time.

 

I ignored them. They were testing my patience, but I wasn’t to be annoyed today. I was determined not to get annoyed by anyone or anything. I finished my food and gathered my stuff and checked my things before I got up to walk to my next class. That’s when Lingyan and Shanna decided to show up. I rolled my eyes at them when they sat down on the empty chairs in front of me. Lingyan noticed the two guys sitting at the next table and rolled her eyes at them. Sungyeon waved his hand at her and Shanna as he said “Hi.” The two girls ignored him and apologized for being late. Shanna blamed Lingyan for staying after class and hoping against hope that it was end of the day already. Lingyan blamed Shanna for spacing out after class and looking out the window watching the skies and daydreaming about Sehun. Excuses.

 

They knew I was meeting Jungkook after class. And I think they were hoping that we were spending lunch together. They came to check whether Jungkook was with me and was disappointed when they didn’t see him at the lunch table. Lingyan was more than disappointed when she saw Wang Yibo and Cho Sungyeon.

 

The girls walked me to class. They had classes in the same building as I was and they made me promise to tell them what Jungkook and me would talk about after class. I was forced to promise. But I didn’t really want to tell them. Yet. Whatever we would talk about, I had wanted to keep it to myself first. It’s going to be the first time we’d be able to really talk since…that time.

 


 

End of classes. I was in the girls’ comfort room checking my reflection in the mirror. I had my phone on vibrate mode in my pocket. I jumped up when I felt my phone buzz. I almost dropped it on the floor when I took it out hastily. I silently cursed Kai when I saw that it was only him who sent me a message.

“Sehun can’t drive you home today. He’s got a group project thingy. I still have to do something with the dance team. Can you wait?”

How to tell him it was okay since I knew Jungkook would drive me home?

“Oppa, it’s okay. I can go home alone. I’m old enough to go home by myself.”

“Are you kidding me? You know Chanyeol hyung is home. He’s going to skin me alive if I let you go home by yourself.”

“Don’t worry. I got it all covered.”

“You know I don’t mind you going home by yourself, but we promised papa to take care of you.”

“Oppa. Chill. I got this.”

“Are you going out with Jungkook?”

 

Busted.

 

“Yes, I am.”

“Oh. It figures. Alright.”

 

Just that? No violent reaction?

 

“Okay oppa. See you at home later.”

“Be careful.”

“I will.”

“Tell Jungkook I will poke his eyes out if he tries to do something…”

“Bye oppa.”

 

I pocketed my phone and made faces in front of the mirror. I was blushing. My brother busted me. I snorted. Some girls who were in the room looked shocked when I snorted. When I was in London, I also got the same reaction from the other girls at first, but they got used to it and didn’t mind me. Now, being back in FIS, some of the faces were new. Those were the faces who looked shocked when I did something unladylike. I chuckled.

Buzz..buzz

I froze. I slowly took out my phone and waited until all the other girls have filed out of the comfort room before I checked my phone. I took a deep breath and looked at my screen.

1 Message.

View Message.

“Hi. I’m at the parking lot. I’ll wait for you here.”

 

I whispered a little prayer, checked my face and hair in the mirror, and did one last turn to make sure there was no crease in my uniform. I sent him a text message that I was on my way to the parking lot.

 

I bit my lower lip as I stepped out the building. I took a few deep breaths and slowly walked toward the parking lot. I kept my eyes alert. I forgot to ask what car he drove. I reached the parking lot and started walking along the sides as some of the cars drove by. It was end of the day and students were on the way home, anyway. I didn’t really have to walk far, because I saw him leaning on the hood of his car. He was smiling.

 

He drove a white Bentley GT V8 S.

 

JK: Hi.

Me: Hi.

JK: Looking good.

Me: Thanks. You too.

JK: Hmm..

Me: Had a nice day?

JK: Yup. You?

 

And he walked over to the passenger side and opened the door for me. I snorted and got in. He closed the door and walked casually to the driver’s side of the car. He didn’t start the ignition right away. He chuckled and looked at me, still grinning. I raised an eyebrow at him as if to ask why he was behaving that way. He cleared his throat and shifted in his car seat. He reached an arm to fix the rearview mirror. But I thought he only did that to stall. He checked the side mirrors as well.

 

Jungkook. I know you are stalling. You drove to this campus just now. I doubt you didn’t check your mirrors before.

 

JK: Buckle up, juseyo.

Me: Oh..mianhae.

 

I had forgotten to buckle up. I looked away and rolled my eyes, mentally scolding myself. I forgot that I was facing the side mirror and he saw me. He chuckled again. He started the ignition.

 

JK: So, have you asked permission from your brothers?

Me: No.

JK: Oops.

Me: I’m seventeen.

JK: Oh…yeah.

Me: Kai oppa did ask me to tell you that you shouldn’t do anything…uh…or else he’d skin you alive.

JK: I think it’s poke my eyes out, not skin me alive.

 

He creased his forehead as he maneuvered the car outside the parking lot and onto the road going to the exit. I realized Kai may have sent him a message.

 

Me: Wha-? He texted you?

JK: Yeah.

Me: Remind me to kick his when I get home later.

JK: Haha. Okay, if you insist.

Me: They should start treating me as an adult, to be honest. I’m no longer a little girl.

JK: I can see that.

Me: What?

JK: I mean, yeah…you’re old enough.

Me: Right.

 

He carefully watched the road as we exited the FIS campus. I didn’t know what I felt that time. There I was, inside the car with him, after school. It was like a dream. I watched him from my peripheral. He blew a strand of hair off his forehead. I fought the urge to brush it back in place.

 

JK: So, it’s about ten to fifteen minutes before we reach the ice cream shop I had in mind. Why don’t you tell me about your summer vacation in London?

Me: Uh…It was good. How about yours?

JK: It was good, too.

Me: Ah..

JK: Do you miss your friends back in London?

Me: Hmm, yeah. Kinda.

JK: Are you still in contact with them?

Me: Some of them.

JK: Oh. That’s good.

Me: Yeah.

 

I kind of felt like he was trying to bring up the subject on Taeyong. He knew that I went to the same school as Taeyong back in London. Taeyong just graduated and was going to be a college freshman too, just like Kyungie and Tao. It suddenly felt awkward. I looked outside and fixed my eyes on the buildings that we passed by. He didn’t speak again until we reached the street where the ice cream shop was located.

 

JK: This is a new place.

Me: Hmm…

 

He parked the car outside the shop and got out. I turned to open the door but he beat me to it and did it for me. I smiled sheepishly as I got out. He led me inside the shop.

 

Stepping inside the ice cream shop, I looked around. The place looked like it was ice cream and cotton-candy heaven. Pink, orange, lime yello, sky blue and red were the dominant colors. The place was bright. There were a few customers inside. Jungkook went to a corner, near the clear glass windows and beckoned to me. I followed him and sat down on the cushioned seat. He sat down on the seat facing me. An attendant approached us wearing all white and had an apron with ice cream design on the chest. She handed us the menu and waited while we chose our ice cream. After we placed our order, Jungkook tilted his head and asked me.

 

JK: Taehyung’s family owns this place, did you know?

Me: Jinjja?

JK: Yes.

Me: Ohhhh…That’s why the name’s Aein Ice Cream…

JK: Right.

Me: How come that alien didn’t tell me?

JK: Hahah. You know how he is. Anyway, this just opened about five months ago.

Me: Didn’t the Mins have a restaurant too?

JK: Yes, they still have that.

Me: We have Fusion.

JK: It’s not yet open.

Me: I know. I think papa is waiting for Luhan to get back from his month-long vacation.

JK: Appa said it’s going to have a soft opening next month.

Me: Is your Jin hyung going to work in Fusion too?

JK: I don’t know. Maybe. He still has one more year to go before he graduates.

Me: I see.

JK: Have you been to Phuket in the last…three…years?

Me: No. Have you?

JK: Just once.

Me: You’re lucky.

JK: Not really.

Me: You were able to go back there. I’m not as lucky as you on that aspect.

JK: In a way. But I went there hoping that…uhm..

Me: What?

JK: I thought you’d at least go there for a vacation.

Me: Oh. I wanted to, but I couldn’t.

JK: I kind of missed you, you know.

Me: Uhm..you..?

JK: You heard me.

 



 

JungYi on a date and Jungkook confessed he missed Xiao Yi. xD
This is the first melody of the song in Xiao Yi’s heart.
What do you think is the second melody?

 

 

吴愛你們。我愛你們。 I am not OKAY  ㅠㅠㅠㅠ