Back for the Holidays

Two Melodies

 

 

The oldies were coming back home one by one. Lay and Suho arrived home with mama a couple of days later. They were supposed to wait for Baek but he still had stuff to finish at his university before he can take his vacation. Kris, Kyungie and Tao arrived a few days after that. The house was alive again. The sound of people screaming their lungs out that I missed reverberated around the house. Papa didn't seem to mind it at first, probably because he also missed the noise my brothers made, but after a few days he started scolding them again. Mama on the other hand, let the boys be. She had chided in that it was better than the house being silent even if there are people in it. 

Papa planned to visit grandpa and grandma Wu before Christmas. We were just waiting for Baek before we could go there. Lay was up for it, wanting to discuss with grandpa Wu about new recipes. His cooking somewhat earned him "master chef" title in his school when he volunteered at the university cafe during his free time. Kyungie was also looking forward to it, saying he needed something to take his mind off the inevitable wrath that Baek would be unleashing when he came home.

The three oldies had not stopped tormenting him about the Tao blooper and he was getting pissed off whenever he got the suspicious looks from Kris, Xiumin, and Luhan. The three had not easily forgiven him for the scare he caused. And of course, Chen and Yo oppa wasn't any different. Kai and Sehun had slacked off teasing Kyungie but vowed to do it once Baek was home. I was silent about it. I didn't wanna add to the noise. I was merely enjoying it since I missed hearing their bickering in the house.

Baekhyun arrived 5 days before Christmas, much to papa's disappointment. He cancelled the trip to grandpa Wu's, since he had a convention the next day. Lay and Kyungie were disappointed as well, but just resorted to calling grandpa on the phone. Baek wasted no time showing his vengeful aura at Kyungie. I saw him smirking as he got out of the ground floor bathroom. I was outside Suho's room waiting for him to give me some file that mama requested. The two of them were helping out at Dr. Min's pedia center while they were on vacation. 

Suho had opened the door the same time that Baek walked past me. I took the file and hurried to follow Baek. He was whistling as he went up the stairs. Mama was walking toward me as I stood at the foot of the stairs. Chen made his way down the stairs looking smug. Chanyeol rushed past him and Chen ran after him.

"Winner gets to do it!"

They both ran toward the bedroom wing of the ground floor. I smelled something fishy. Kyungie was about to be dead meat. I handed mama the file and sat on an armchair by the stairs. I knew there was something going on.

Chen and Yo oppa returned not long after that. Mama had gone back to dad's office to work on the file. The two were snickering and went out the front door. I decided to just laze around and reclined on the chair. Jungkook and his family should already be in Korea, and Taehyung and his family too. It would be nice to spend the holidays in Korea in the future. I hoped papa would include it on the next holiday schedule.

I spent the next hour daydreaming of Korea on that chair.

 


 

"I know I made a mistake, but why did you have to do this to me?!"

I heard Kyungie's voice shout from the bedroom wing downstairs. I was reading a book in my room and because my door was ajar, I could hear what was going on downstairs. Tao walked past my door laughing. Baek followed him.

Tao: It has begun. 
Baek: Lock and load, Tao. You know winter war has begun.
Tao: I know. I'm all suited up.

That's when I confirmed that there was really something up. I slowly got up and left my book on my bed. I was barefoot as I went out my room and silently followed the two. Kyungie was climbing up the stairs, waving his toothbrush in the air with one hand.

Kyungie: I know you did it. Wait til I tell papa about it.
Baek: So...did it taste like the bathroom mirror?
Kyungie: I didn't use it because it smelled like- wait...bathroom mirror?
Baek: Yeah. Why?
Kyungie: It smelled like .
Baek/Tao/Me: ?
Kyungie: Yeah, . Poop.
Me: So, that was what Chen and Yo op-
Kyungie: I'm gonna kill those two!

He walked past us and marched toward Chen's room. Baek, Tao and I followed him. Kyungie banged on the door.

Luhan's door opened and his head stuck out. Chen's room remained closed. Kyungie then banged on Chanyeol's door.

Luhan: What's with the noise?
Kyungie: Ask them!

He pointed at the two doors, then stormed away, throwing his toothbrush on the floor.

Luhan: Okay, someone tell me what's going on?
Baek: Well...
Tao: I didn't do any-
Luhan: Come on.
Tao: Like he said, it's them. *points at the two doors*
Me: Maybe they did something earlier. I saw Chen and Yo oppa go into the ground floor bathroom.
Baek: *coughs*
Me: I saw you too, gege.
Baek: I didn't do-
Luhan: Guys, you're all adults and you still behave as little kids. Grow up. Talk it out with him if you have a problem. Not like this.

Kris appeared at the hallway from the stairs. He had a shopping bag on one hand. He stopped walking in front of his bedroom door.

Kris: What's going on here, Lu?
Luhan: The usual Kyungsoo problem.
Kris: Who's the suspect this time?
Luhan: Chen and Chanyeol.
Kris: Hold this for me.

He handed Luhan his shopping bag and went to knock on Chanyeol's door first. It didn't open. He went to knock on Chen's door. It didn't open either.

Kris: Alright. Nobody is going to open? Then nobody is allowed to go out.
Luhan: Kris...
Kris: You got a better idea?
Luhan: Open up or else papa will hear about this!

Before a minute was up, both the doors opened. Chen and Chanyeol stood by each door.

 


 

So yeah, there was a closed-door meeting between the victim and suspects with Luhan and Kris. Baek included in the suspect line up because as a witness, I was credible. I was also summoned because my testimony was crucial for the judges' verdict. Xiumin was with papa that day, being his assistant at the convention. 

I told Jungkook about what happened, and he was amused. He said it was something like that too, whenever his J and Jimin hyung got in a mess. It's usually J who gets in trouble, he said. Jin was always looking for ways to hide it from their appa, and it's always Jimin who manages to find ways. And he, as the youngest almost always gets away with it. 

I imagined a situation where he was in trouble and got away with it in the end. I snorted. That could happen. I wondered how J would always be the one to get in trouble though. I hesitated to ask at first, but curiousity got the best of me, so I asked him.

Jimin was more adventurous than J, but it was the latter who somehow gets to actually do the adventurous stuff. For people who don't really know them, you'd think that Jimin was more adventurous, based on his personality. J was more impulsive, he revealed. Jimin would voice out an idea and plan to do it, but J beats him to it most of the time. He would have tried it already before Jimin would be able to experience it.

I asked how was his Christmas holidays so far and he told me it was so cold there, he didn't want to spend a lot of time outside although his brothers had wanted a snowball fight, seeing that the first snow started to fall a day ago. He just reasoned that the snow wasn't even thick enough for a snowball fight, so they'd better just stay inside. He'd rather just talk to me and listen to my voice because it warmed his heart, he said. I just snorted, but deep inside, I felt warm as well.

 


 

Christmas Day.

Papa had booked a reservation for lunch at a hotel. He said it was rare we'd get to eat out as a family these days, so he planned it ahead. We were in our formal clothes, as was the hotel's dresscode, and we went there as a convoy. Not everyone drove their own cars, though. Kai and Sehun preferred to ride with us, at the back of papa's car. Only Luhan, Kris and Suho drove their cars. The others just rode with them. Parking would have been a problem if all of them drove each a car. LOL.

It was a formal dining experience. By now, you'd expect us to be accustomed to it already, but nope. It still wasn't our cup of tea. We'd pick a picnic on the beach any day than a formal lunch or dinner. But it was papa's idea and we don't always get the chance to eat together with papa and mama these days- and each other, actually. 

After lunch, papa had to excuse himself for a bit because he received a call from Phuket. There probably was a problem there. Knowing it's on a tropical country and Christmas time, tourists would have probably gone there to spend their holidays away from the cold of winter.

Baek suggested we go to the stadium at the Nest later at night, so we could enjoy the lights and take pictures with the Christmas tree there. Everyone was positive with the idea. 

We dropped by the grocery to buy last minute ingredients for the menu that mama had planned out for our Christmas dinner. We also dropped by the bakeshop to pick up the cake. Sehun and I had gone to get the cake as mama, Kyungie, Kris and Luhan went to the grocery. The rest either stayed in the cars or went to check out the kiosks that were lined up outside the grocery entrance. As Sehun went to pay for the cake, I noticed two of the bakeshop attendants staring at him and giggling. I hid a smile and knew the feeling how it was to see a handsome guy. I was lucky to have twelve handsome brothers. It wasn't everyday that a person is blessed with such. Sehun replced his card back in his wallet and stuffed it in his back pocket.

Sehun: Xiao Yi, let's go.
Me: Oh...can we buy those?
Sehun: Where?
Me: Those look yummy.

I pointed at some mini cakes. The two girls who were staring were standing right across the mini cakes and as soon as I pointed at the cakes, they jumped -startled- and blushed. I chuckled. Sehun walked over to them.

Sehun: Uh...how much are those?
Girl 1: Uh...that's twenty yuan.
Sehun: Xiao Yi, how many?
Me: Hmm, those four.
Sehun: We'll take four. 
Girl 1: O-okay sir.
Girl 2: Single box or one big box, sir?
Sehun: Uh-

I purposely walked near the door so Sehun couldn't tap me again. I snorted as I heard him struggle with choosing if big box or single boxes. I stole a glance back at the girls. The two were giggling and one suggested the single boxes so in case he wanted to give it as a gift, it would be in a special box already. I was smiling when the girl at the counter caught me. She had raised her eyebrows, and I just grinned. I was doing them a favor, making Sehun talk to them and staying at the store for a few more minutes. Hahaha!

We went back to the car with the cake boxes in hand. I was humming a happy tune and Sehun was grunting. I asked why, and he complained he had to pay for the other cakes. I told him it was nothing compared to the gift he gave to the ladies back at the bakeshop. He asked what gift, and I just chuckled. He decided the gift was that we bought more than what we originally ordered, and I just grinned at him, letting him think that.

Arriving at home, I took the smaller cake boxes from Sehun and proceeded to the kitchen. I took off the lid on each the cakes and took a picture of each. Sehun appeared, dumping the big box on the kitchen counter. He snorted as he saw me taking a picture of the mini cakes. Kyungie and Luhan appeared behind him with grocery bags. They both placed it on the counter and started taking out the contents. Kyungie made sure everything on the list was bought. Luhan left us after he emptied the grocery bags. He said he wanted to change into something comfortable and maybe nap for a bit. I realized I was still wearing a formal dress. I left the cakes and hurried out of the kitchen and up the stairs. 

I laid on my bed after getting changed. I decided to send the cake photos to Jungkook. I bet he'd like that. He loved to eat and if I said those were for him, he'd probably get on the next flight back to Beijing. LOL. And yes, he loved it. He sent me a selfie with a sad face and captioned it, "Wish I was there". I told him the oldies would probably were going to eat it, so I'd just buy mini cakes for him when he comes back.

I received a message from Taehyung a few minutes later. He said he had news for us. He also told Jungkook and the other boys. I sent him back a message asking what the news was. He said he'd just told us when he returns from Korea. He said he liked the suspense before he told us.

That night, I wasn't allowed to go with the boys out to enjoy the lights at the Nest. Luhan wasn't going, so naturally, I wasn't allowed. I was still a minor in everyone's eyes. Kris was going, but he said he didn't want me to go. Xiumin wasn't going, Suho either. Baek, Lay, Tao, Kai, Sehun, Chen and Yo oppa went with Kris ge. Kyungie decided to stay and help with preparing the food for dinner. Xiumin also decided to stay because he wanted to help with the food. He said if was managing the resto-bar, he'd have to know how to prepare some basic recipes. Luhan and papa had a closed-door meeting while we were preparing the food. Well, I wasn't actually helping. I was more like watching and tasting the food. 

Xiumin: Meimei, please pass me that salt shaker.
Mama: Here, taste this. Is it good enough?
Kyungie: Don't dip your finger in that batter. I'm not done yet.
Mama: Where's Suho?
Xiumin: Up, in the study room.
Mama: Studying? Hmm...
Xiumin: He said he needed to read up on something.
Mama: Ah..That boy needs to relax sometimes. It's the holidays and he's stressing himself again.

And with that, she excused herself and made her way out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

Kyungie: I'm trying to hide the stress by cooking here. Law school isn't easy either.
Xiumin: Hang in there, Kyungie-ya. I know it's hard, but you'll get through it.
Me: It's stressful to deal with Chen and Yo oppa, ne?
Kyungie: Aish! Don't remind me.
Me: Hehehe.
Xiumin: Honestly, it's about time you guys stop bickering like that. You're old enough to make babies and you still run around, chasing each other. 
Me: I don't mind. I miss the noise.
Kyungie: I'm tired of chasing them, actually. But I can't deny the fact that it brings a lot of fun memories when I hear them pick on me.
Xiumin: Are you saddist suddenly?
Kyungie: A-aniyo!

Luhan appeared on the kitchen doorway.

Luhan: Aren't they back yet?
Xiumin: Nugu?
Luhan: Kris and the others.
Xiumin: Nope. 
Luhan: Papa will be going to oversee some new building construction in Phuket. He wanted to know who's available to help him.
Xiumin: Ain't Kris the one who's handling the construction team?
Luhan: He is, but papa needs one more.
Xiumin: Can't you? I can handle Fusion by myself. There's not much to do until the grand opening, anyway.
Luhan: There's still some paperwork I need to finish for the resto. I've asked Sehun and Kai to help me, but I'm still not done.
Xiumin: Ahh...
Me: Can I?
Luhan/Xiumin: No.
Me: Why not?
Luhan: You're still in school.
Me: But you were also in school when you started working for papa.
Luhan: This is differentt.
Xiumin: You're going to stay in Phuket for a while.
Me: That's okay. I like the beach.
Xiumin: You're still in school.
Luhan: Let's ask if Lay can...or Baek.
Xiumin: Lay's writing his stuff for his recital.
Luhan: Baek's the last resort then.

At that moment, Baek and the other boys walked into the kitchen area. Sehun and Tao raced with each other to the fridge to get bottled water.

Baek: I heard my name. Why? Did I do something wrong?
Luhan: Not yet.
Baek: What? Lu ge...
Xiumin: Your study load this sem...does that require you to be in class all the time?
Baek: No. Why?
Luhan: Ah, good. 
Baek: What's good? Wait. I smell something fishy here.
Me: You're right. It should. You're gonna be by the sea.
Baek: What do you mean?
Luhan: You're on your research right?
Baek: Yes.
Luhan: Can you file for non-classroom research for a month or two this sem?
Baek: I can...wait. Why do I have to do that?
Xiumin: You're the last resort.
Luhan: Papa needs you in the team.
Kris: Oh. So it's about the construction team.
Luhan: Yes.
Kris: I'm gonna be in Phuket just a day after the new year.
Xiumin: With papa?
Kris: He's leaving new year's day afternoon.

All of us looked at him like he dropped a bomb in the middle of the kitchen.

Kris: Uh...I though y'all knew?
Luhan: He didn't say. I was just in a meeting with him...
Kris: He must've forgotten. 
Xiumin: Probably.
Kris: You know papa's thinking of expanding the resort business to include Bali.

Tao and Sehun sat on bar stools at the counter. Kyungie had just punched in the timer of the oven and went to sit beside the two. Baek, who was drinking a glass of pineapple juice, had his mouth hanging open. Kai, Chanyeol, Chen, and Lay stood with eyes on the three oldies.

Baek: Does that mean...I will..
Tao: Yeah.
Kai: Uh-huh.
Kyungie: After new year's you'll gonna have to prepare.
Baek: I have to file for that non-classroom research, I have to be in France before new year?
Luhan: No. Tsskk.
Kris: You file for it online, you don't have to go back there. Papa needs to sign your letter, then fax it along with your application.
Baek: Help?

 



 

 

Hello! I'm back! Sorry for the long hiatus/delay.  My  dad passed away last year and I needed time to sort of recover. I couldn't update here because there were a lot of stuff we needed to attend to. I'm okay, though. We are all okay. That's one more star in the sky watching over me. He's in a better place now. I'll miss him a lot, but I know we'll meet again someday, on a "Spring Day".

Anyway, I hope you like the latest update for this story. I missed reading your comments about Xiao Yi and Jungkook. Hehehe.

吴爱你们!