Saturday: Jungkook's POV

Two Melodies

 

JUNGKOOK:

 

“Wake up! You’re gonna be alone in this house for half a day. Jungkook! Hey! We’re going downtown to check out the place for the restaurant. Appa is letting Hoseok come with us. Jungkook! Come on, wake up! Oh yeah, have you been eating in my room? I haven’t been in there since it was finished and I saw chocolate wrappers inside one of the drawers.”

 

I heard Jin hyung blabbering. He woke me up by pulling the curtains away from the windows and the bright sun blinded me for a few seconds before I can dive under my blanket again. Jin hyung shook me again.

 

”Jungkook! Are you listening to me?”

 

Of course. I could hear him. He was noisy. I grunted and kicked him.

 

“Aigoo!”

 

And he pulled my blanket away. I covered my face with my pillow but he took it as well. I had no choice but to drop to the floor and snuggled on the carpeted floor of my room.

 

Oh my god. Appa is going to check on you before we leave. You better get your off that floor and wake up.”

 

I cawled back up the bed and laid flat. I rubbed my eyes and covered it with my arm since the rays of the sun was shining through my window.

 

Draw the drapes back on, juseyo. I’m gonna be blind.”

 

I heard him pull the curtains back and my room went slightly darker. I opened my eyes slowly. Jin hyung was standing by the window and looking down at me.

I grinned at him. He rolled his eyes at me and pointed at his wrist as if to tell me it’s about time that I get up before appa finds me still snuggled up.

I stretched on the bed and yawned.

 

Me: So, hyung. Does it mean I can’t go out?

Jin: That’s right. Hey, you didn’t answer my other question.

Me: What question?

Jin: Have you been eating in my room?

Me: Aniyo. Jimin hyung.

Jin: Tell the truth, Jungkook.

Me: I may have eaten a few candies…but it’s Jimin hyung who-

Jin: Clean my room. When I get back at lunch, it better be free from candy wrappers.

Me: Whoa…wait a min-

Jin: You have…four hours.

 

And with that, he his heel and stepped out my room.

Fine.

How many candy wrappers are in there anyway? Jimin hyung must have camped there before he left for California. Hahahah.

 

*knock knock*

 

“Jungkook, I need to see you in my office right now.”

 

I scrambled up and pulled on a t-shirt. Yeah, I sleep without a shirt on. I knew appa’s voice even if it was at minimum volume. I slowly opened my door and peeked outside. I saw appa’s back walking away from my door. He was on his way down the stairs.

In the new house, the master bedroom was downstairs. The hyungs and I had our rooms upstairs. There was a fifth room, the guestroom, but it was downstairs.

I went back to put on my slippers and glanced at my reflection in the mirror for a bit. I didn’t wanna look like a cave man when I go to appa’s office.

When I was satisfied with how I looked, I went down to face papa. I took a deep breath and stretched my arms up.

 

Wow. You are awake.”

 

That was J hyung. I turned to greet him a good morning. We walked the hall to the stairs. He was wearing a casual business attire and I couldn’t help but commend him for looking respectful. He usually just wore street style clothes and doesn’t care about the business side of things. It was Jimin hyung who was the fashion icon between the four of us. Jin hyung was the preppy guy. Eversince the hyungs graduated high school, their mode of dressing has sorta improved. I guess I was the only one who kept with whatever style I had since I can remember.

 

Me: So, you’re going with appa and Jin hyung?

J: Yes.

Me: You’re a real business man now, ah?

J: Do I have a choice?

Me: Of course.

J: Yeah. To follow orders or be shipped somewhere I don’t like.

Me: And you chose to follow orders.

J: Exactly. You may as well do that if you don’t want to end up somewhere like the middle of the Pacific ocean.

Me: I’m following his orders, hyung.

J: Of course. It’s Wu Yinzi. Why wouldn’t you?

Me: Aish. Shut up.

J: I know you’re happy, Kookie. Be thankful that appa chose this kind of life for you. Unlike us.

Me: You can do what you love to do, hyung.

J: Ah, yes. But you know what will happen if we do.

 

We stopped our conversation as we reached the ground floor. Jin hyung was lounging on the living room sofa. J hyung sat opposite him and I proceeded to appa’s office.

The door was ajar. I could see appa walking back and forth inside the room with a hand on his ear. He was on his phone, apparently. I knocked softly on the door and waited.

Appa stopped pacing and looked at me. He gestured for me to sit, and I did. He wrapped up his call. He went to sit at his swivel chair. The chair that defined who we were in the business world. I denied it, though. I liked to pretend that we were nobody.

 

Appa: This is just going to be quick, because I don’t want to be late with my appointment. You can take your breakfast after this.

Me: Yes, appa.

Appa: I just got off the phone with Wu Zun. He’s arriving in Beijing this afternoon and we decided to have dinner together. As a family.

 

As a family. Yessss…

 

Appa: I’d like you to confirm the reservation at the hotel for dinner later. Add three more persons to the list. Luhan, Xiumin and Kris will be joining us. And, don’t forget to pick Yinzi up later. Both of you go together to dinner. Wu Zun has asked Luhan to make a reservation at the Sheraton. Can you do that?

Me: Yes, appa.

Appa: And after confirming with the hotel…don’t think of stealing out this morning. You stay here, do you understand?

Me: What would I do here then?

Appa: Do something productive.

Me: Uh…

Appa: You may go.

 

I stood up. I wiggled my brows at appa.

 

Appa: Jungkook.

 

I grinned and walked out.

 

Always a kid…”

 

I hear appa sigh. I chuckled.

 


 

 

After I finished breakfast, I went to appa’s office again. The three of them, appa, Jin hyung and J hyung had left for the restaurant location inspection. I decided to make the call to the hotel in the office. I sat on appa’s swivel chair and made a 360 twirl with it before I picked up the phone’s receiver and dialed the hotel’s number. Appa had written down the hotel name and number on a sticky note and stuck it on his desk.

 

Jungkook, here is the name of the hotel and the number. You can call the restaurant manager directly on this number. Don’t forget to confirm the reservation and the additional three persons.

 

I waited for a bit before someone answered the phone. I was able to speak with the manager and confirmed the reservation. I also informed him that there were three additional people joining us for dinner later. The manager seemed to know who were the three additional people and mentioned Mr. Wu and the three older Wu boys. After the confirmation, I thanked the manager. I also verified the time of the reservation, for good measure. I was tasked to pick Yinzi up.

I still wasn’t used to calling her by her full given name. It was always Xiao Yi. But for formalities’ sake, I’m supposed to call her Yinzi.

Should I call her?

I checked my time. It was a few minutes before ten in the morning. I decided to wait until the afternoon. I needed to practice what I had to say. These days, I found myself to be out of words whenever it came to her.

For some reason, I fell asleep. I was woken up by Jin hyung.

"Have you removed your candy wrappers in my drawer?"

I didn't.

LOL.

I had stretched out on the living room sofa and when they came in from the location inspection, they saw me snoring. It was lunch time and we waited for eomma to arrive from school before we ate. Eomma had lectures every Saturday mornings at the university.

 

Appa: Jungkook.

Me: Appa…

Appa: Have you done what I told you to do?\

Me: Ne, except..

Appa: Except what?

Me: Uh- pick Wu Yinzi up?

Appa: Ah..

Me: Confirmed the time as well, appa. Seven in the evening, with three additional seats.

Appa: Good.

Me: Uhm, can I…go out later?

Appa: Out? Where? Why?

Me: Dinner is still at seven. I was thinking of going to Yinzi’s earlier and…well, I just wanted to…

Appa: Okay.

Me: Kamsahamnida.

 

I saw J hyung snicker and wiggle his eyebrows at me as he sipped his soup. Jin hyung was seated beside him and if I wasn’t mistaken, he had stomped on J’s foot from under the table. J hyung smirked at Jin hyung. Eomma was looking at appa while he spoke, so she didn’t see. Appa, on the other hand, was looking at me. I had pretended to pull the bowl of rice toward me.

 

Appa: I will call Ah-Zun later and inform him that you are picking Yinzi up earlier.

Me: Okay, appa.

 


 

Five in the afternoon, I called Xiao Yi. She had answered my call after five rings. Yeah, I was counting the rings now. I told her that dinner would be at seven, but I wanted to talk to her about something. She had agreed to come with me.

Dinner was not formal, it was casual, so I opted to wear something comfortable. Although it wasn’t a formal dinner, I choose dark jeans and grey pullovers. I looked at my reflection in the floor length mirror in my room at least three times before I went down.

In my car, I took a deep breath and huffed. I sent a text message to her that I was on my way to pick her up. She had replied that she will wait at the gate of their house. She said it wasn’t necessary for me to come inside the house. It was necessary though, but I bet she was just nervous what her brothers will do. I insisted that it was proper if I do it the traditional way, but she dismissed it and told me that she will be right outside the gate waiting.

I surrendered.

I placed my phone on my dashboard and started the car. I was helluva nervous

It was a fairly uneventful drive to her house, except when I was about to make a left on the street where the Wu residence was, I accidentally bumped the back wheel of a girl struggling with her bicycle. I knew it was my fault since I didn’t slow down as I made the turn which was necessary. The girl was thrown forward and dropped to the side of the road. I stepped on the brakes and ran out of the car to check on the girl who was now getting up on her feet and brushing her knees.

 

Me: I’m sorry, I’m sorry.

 

The girl slowly stood up and winced. She turned to face me.

Lee Halla!

Me: Oh.. Halla-ssi. I’m sorry.  I didn’t drive carefully. I’m sorry.

Halla: Ouch…Whare are you in a hurry about?

Me: I have…wait. What are you doing in this area?

Halla: I’m supposed to deliver some papers to Boss Min from the ice cream shop.

Me: Oh. Is that your bike?

Halla: No. I just borrowed it.

Me: Geezzzzz… I’m really sorry.

 

I picked  up the bike and saw that the back wheel was punctured. There was no way she could ride it to the Mins. Yeah, I had a handy pump in the backseat, but the wheel was punctured. Halla had checked her backpack. She confirmed that her things were still intact.

Me: Uhm, I’m sorry about this wheel.

Halla: Oh dear. I need to give this to Boss Min today. It’s the payroll papers, I think.

Me: I’ll just drive you there.

 

I made a quick decision. I hauled her bike in the boot of the car. Halla had sat on the passenger’s seat and I was about to say something to her, but chickened out.

I was about to pick Xiao Yi up.

I should’ve told Halla to sit at the back, but somehow it would sound rude. I caused the accident, therefore, it was my responsibility to bring her to where she was to go. I just hoped that Xiao Yi would understand. There was no way I could make a detour and pass through another street just to drop Halla off at the Mins. The Wu residence was just around the next corner.

I huffed. Halla gave me an innocent smile and I smiled back.

 

Me: Uhm. I’ll just pick someone up on the next corner…

Halla: Oh…

 

She started to open the door, but I already stepped on the accelerator, so she sat back.

I slowed down as we approached the block where the Wu residence was. I could make out Xiao Yi’s figure outside the gate. I said a little prayer silently as I stopped in front of her.

She looked shocked to see Halla on the passenger seat, but she gave out a smile as she greeted us.

 

Xiao Yi: Hi.

Me: Hi. Uhm, Halla,this is Xiao Yi- I mean, Wu Yinzi. My…uhm…best friend.

Halla: Hi, I’m Lee Halla.

Xiao Yi: Nice to meet you.

 

She looked hurt. I scrambled out the driver’s seat to open the door for her, but she beat me to it. She had already slid in the backseat of the car as I got out of the car. I couldn’t do anything, because it was so fast and I couldn’t get my act straight. I just got back in the driver’s seat and buckled up. I turned to look at her to tell her to buckle up, but she was already buckling up. That time, I glanced at Halla. She was not wearing the seatbelt.

Me: Uh, Halla-ssi. Your seatbelt.

Halla: Oh. Sorry. I forgot.

 

She fumbled with the seatbelt and I had to reach out to help her. I could feel Xiao Yi’s eyes boring deep into my soul. Somehow, I could feel her stare prick my brain. I had to look away after I helped Halla.

 

Me: I’ll just drop Halla at the Mins and then we’ll go…somew- I mean, to the hotel- uh…yeah.

Xiao Yi: Okay.

Me: Okay.

Halla: My problem now is how to get back to the ice cream shop. I just borrowed that bike from Qing-ge.

Me: Uhm, if Namjoon hyung is home, I’ll tell him to drive you back.

Halla: Kamsahamnida.

 

Xiao Yi was silent the whole time I drove toward the Mins. I kept glancing at the rearview mirror at her. It was awkward. Halla was singing and talking to me as if there was nothing wrong. Of course, she didn’t know.

Arriving at the Mins driveway, Halla stepped out the door and went to ring the doorbell. The househelp had opened the door. I waited to see if Namjoon hyung was there before I hauled out the bike from my car. Xiao Yi stayed inside the car and I kept glancing back at her. She kept her head down and played with her phone.

 

“Kookie oppa!”

 

I saw Aein running toward me. She came from the backyard. She looked like a three year old girl version of Taehyung. Namjoon hyung appeared behind her. He was dragging a pink bike behind him and panting. He saw me standing by my car and he raised his free hand.

Aein came up to me and hugged my legs. Namjoon saw Halla at the front door and called to her. She bounded down and reached inside her backpack for the paperwork. Then, she handed it to Namjoon hyung.

For a while, I forgot about Xiao Yi until Aein tugged at my pants.

“Who is she?”

She had pointed at Xiao Yi in the car. I bit my lower lip and cleared my throat. Namjoon hyung was busy talking to Halla. I walked over to the door of the backseat as I took Aein’s hand. I knocked on the window. Xiao Yi looked up and smiled at Aein.

 

Aein: She is pretty. Is she your girlfriend?

Me: She’s…uh…Wu Yinzi. She shares the same birthday as you.

Aein: Jinjjayo?

Me: Ne. She does.

 

Xiao Yi opened the door and waved at Aein. The little girl hid behind me, giggled and squealed. That was when Namjoon hyung noticed Xiao Yi inside the car. He waved a hand at her and smiled. Xiao Yi waved back.

 

Xiao Yi: Hello, pretty lady.

Aein: Kookie oppa, please marry her. I like her.

 

Sure. I will…

 



 Jungkook's POV sort of sheds light on some issues, but it also complicates some.

Ahhhhh...they should start to talk things out before both of them start to assume the wrong things and complicate the situation more.

 →  吴愛你們。我愛你們。 ♥♥♥