Jungkook Oppa

Two Melodies

 

 

 

The guests have all arrived and crowded around the archway where the cutting of ribbon was to take place. Jungkook stayed by my side and acted like a bodyguard. He had taken out sunglasses from his pocket and wore it. I wanted to laugh, but saw the oldies looking in our direction. I looked straight ahead and hummed to myself. Luhan had walked over to where Jungkook and I were standing. He nodded at Jungkook and stood there, waiting for the ribbon cutting ceremony.

Mr. Kim and his wife had stepped forward to the ribbon cutting area. Papa escorted mama toward it, as well. The emcee started the ceremony by greeting everyone a happy new year. He went on to say that good fortune will be upon the business because it was opened during new year. 

I saw the Min family. Aein was being carried by her eomma, while Mr. Min was smiling widely at Namjoon, who was standing in front of his staff. I saw Halla behind him. I felt my smile turned into a frown. Beside me, Jungkook glanced at the place where Halla was, then I felt his hand touched mine. I held onto his hand, forgetting that Luhan was standing on my other side. But it was cool. He didn't seem to notice it.

Finally, the ribbon had been cut. Papa, mama, Mr. and Mrs. Kim led the way inside the restaurant. Time for the toast, I guess. Then the announcement.

My eyes wandered around looking for my brothers one by one. Luhan was walking beside me, Kris and Xiumin talking to each other on the way inside, Tao and Baek were silently following the crowd. Sehun went to sit at one of the curved sofa seats outside the covered deck of the restaurant. Kai was probably inside already and I had to crane my neck to see if he was indeed there. I don't know. But seeing them kind of relaxed my mind and be assured that there are people who will back me up whatever happens. It's like my life depended on them at that moment. I thought of Suho, Lay, Chen, Chanyeol and Kyungie who were not able to make it to the opening. I exhaled deeply. Jungkook's hand tightened around mine, and Luhan turned his head to look at me. I smiled at Luhan and pretended I was okay.

Inside the restaurant, I opted to sit at the farthest corner. Jungkook followed me and sat down on the opposite chair. Luhan had gone to sit with Kris and Xiumin, seeing that they had to make sure everything was going smoothly. 

The emcee went to stand by the bar and requested papa and Mr. Kim to please come forward as they say a little something before toasting. Papa spoke first.

"I have never dreamed to start a restaurant before, so today, as we opened Fusion, I can say that it is already an accomplishment on my part. I am thankful for Kim Jaejoong here, who understood my crazy ideas and joined me in this endeavor. And I thank Min Kyunghoon as well. Even though he has refused to officially merge the business, he gladly accepted to handle our import and export needs. Thank you for lending some of your staff as well, today, Kyunghoon-ssi. And of course, I am thankful for my family who has supported this business idea, Yumei...my lovely wife. Luhan, Xiumin, Yifan...my eldest sons who helped work to start this business. Baekhyun, Tao, Kai, Sehun...Yinzi, my only daughter. And even my other sons who couldn't make it today because of university. Suho, Lay, Chen, Chanyeol, and Kyungsoo.

"I hope everybody enjoys the food later...My son, Kyungsoo has a special coffee brew that you must try. If I'm forgetting anything, forgive me, it is not my intention to do so. But you can tap me later and ask for a free drink on your next visit. Hahah! Anyway, here's Jaejoong."

Everyone clapped, and Jungkook's dad took the mic. I suddenly thought I was looking at Jin, but then Jin had appeared behind us, through a door that led to the kitchens. He leaned on the doorframe as he watched his dad give his speech.

Jin looked like their dad most. 

"Ah-Zun, thank you for the kind words. I know your ideas are crazy, but I also know that they are brilliant. Doing business with you is like a walk in the park."

"Jurassic park..." I heard Jin mutter behind us. He was chuckling. Jimin had appeared beside him, and was chuckling as well.

"I'd like to thank my eldest, Seokjin. Some of the food you're going to eat are from his personal menu. Jin, even though you had to travel back and forth Napa Valley and here, you still managed to pull everything of so well. Your first paycheck will be more than what you originally asked when I first gave you this job. Your mom had objected to it, knowing you'd have to travel a lot. I almost gave in, because your mom is a great lawyer and she represented you very well. But I'm thankful that she saw your potential and let you do this work. Hoseok, Jimin, Jungkook...Get your cue from your Jin hyung, okay?

"I'm not going to make this longer, you all must be hungry. So, without further ado...Ah-Zun?"

Papa took his wine glass, got another one and gave it to Mr. Kim.

Papa: To the success of Fusion and good fortune!
Mr. Kim: And to Kim and Wu family's fusion, too. 

I had my wine glass in my hand and it clinked. Jungkook had touched his glass with mine. Jin and Jimin were gulping their wine already. I sipped the wine, actually, more like drank it bottoms up, then placed the empty glass on the table.

It was time for the announcement.

Papa: Has everybody settled down? You can start ordering from the menus. While we wait for the food, Jaejoong and I have a special announcement. This concerns the future and security of Fusion and our businesses.
Mr. Kim: Jungkook...
Papa: Yinzi...

I can do this.

Jungkook stood up from his chair and held out his hand. I stood up and held his hand. We walked to the front where our fathers were.

Papa: We are happy to announce that today, as part of the new year and opening celebration of Fusion, we are also going to celebrate my daughter Yinzi, and Jaejoong's son Jungkook's engagement.
Mr. Kim: With the marriage of our children, we see the success of Fusion and our businesses. This engagement also serves as a tie between two families, and not just merging of businesses.
Papa: Join us in celebrating Jungkook and Yinzi's engagement party. Dinner will also be served later for those who want to partake in the celebration.

Everyone gasped and clapped. I heard congratulatory words from the guests as they raised their glasses to us one more time. 

Jungkook hesitated at first, but raised his hand after papa had spoken. His dad and papa looked confused when they saw him raising his hand.

Papa: Yes, Jungkook?

Jungkook gestured for his dad to give him the mic he was holding. Mr. Kim handed him the mic.

Jungkook: Uhm...so...yeah...I wanted to say something.

Everyone went quiet. My eyes wandered around, looking for my brothers again. I found each of them and I inhaled-exhaled slowly. I saw mama, confusion in her eyes, but she was listening to Jungkook intently.

"Thank you for your congratulations. I think it's best to tell you this...I mean, this engagement party must mean that it's just business to you, but to me...and Yinzi...it means a lot. Don't get me wrong. We are not doing this because our dads told us to. We agreed to this because...because...we love each other. I have liked Xiao Yi since that first day I met her. That was in Florida, a few years ago. And until today, that feeling still hasn't changed. I know that it won't change for a very long time. In fact, it won't change at all."

Papa and his dad stood, immobile, on the side. I bit my lower lip and kept squeezing Jungkook's hand. He held my hand firmly as he continued speaking.

"Xiao Yi and I are in a relationship since we went to Paris for the ball. I know it might sound unfair to some of you here, especially her family...but we decided not to tell anyone until today. The right time to tell everyone the truth about us would be today, when our engagement is announced. Some of you might think that this is just for "business-sake", but honestly, it's more than business for us. What we have is good for the relationship we are building. A marriage built on love will thrive and be successful. I am going to take care of Xiao Yi, I promise you that. Luhan hyung, Kris hyung, Xiumin hyung, Baek hyung, Tao hyung, Kai...Sehun...rest assured your little sister is in good hands with me. Wu Xiansheng he Wu Taitai, I promise to take care of your daughter."

Mama wiped a tear from her eye and smiled. I could tell she wanted to cry but was modest enough to just let a tear fall. I saw Mrs. Kim dab her hanky to her eyes as well.

Jungkook continued.

"Appa, mianhae. Mianhae for not telling you beforehand. But please know that I didn't mean to disrespect you. I just wanted to do this properly. Kamsahamnida."

He bowed, facing his dad and papa, after that.

My eyes caught sight of a figure walking out of the restaurant. As her back retreated, I recognized her as Halla. My heart hurt for a bit as I saw her walk toward the street, and across, from the large windows.

I'm sorry Halla, but I can't give him up for you. I won't give him up.

 


 


The awkwardness had disappeared completely after that. People congratulated papa and Mr. Kim for the business merger, family merger, and the great food that was served.

Jin was all smiles when he was complimented about the food on his personal menu. J and Jimin started calling me Xiao-saeng and Yin-saeng whenever they bump into me. Jungkook never left my side the whole time. Even when my brothers crowded around me, asking me questions about Paris and why I hid it from them.

Luhan shook Jungkook's hand, though. He said it was brave of him to say it in front of everybody. He also commended him for letting his intentions known, and that his intentions were true. Kris and Xiumin kept nodding their heads at Jungkook, as if to say, "We see you, dude. We got our eyes on you."

Tao had asked why I didn't fall for Taehyung instead. I told him that Taetae was a close friend, and nothing more. Baek didn't say anything, just gave Jungkook a thump on his back and nodded once. I tried to kick him for that, but he walked away faster than I could kick him.

Kai and Sehun looked like hearing Jungkook's speech wasn't new. I guess they already knew or had suspicions before. They gave Jungkook high-fives and fist bumps, then called him "Bro..."

It was a good three hours before dinner, and I wanted to change into something more comfortable. I went to mama to excuse myself, so I could go home and change. Jungkook drove me home.

On the way, he his car stereo and popped in a CD. It was Yiruma.

Him: So, how did I do?
Me: Hmm...good.
Him: Just good?
Me: You made my mom and your mom cry.
Him: Is that less points?
Me: Yes.
Him: I thought that would be plus points, because they felt my sincerity.
Me: I'm the one giving the score.
Him: Okay. So, I'm just good. What can I do to make my score better?
Me: Drive safely until we reach my house, then come back to the restaurant safely as well.
Him: Affirmative.
Me: Good.

He smirked and I saw that from the side mirror. I was lookin outside, but kept glancing at the side mirror to watch him drive.

Him: You're watching me.
Me: I'm not.
Him: Don't lie, Xiao Yi.
Me: I'm not.
Him: Not lying or not watching me?
Me: Both.

He just chuckled and fiixed his eyes on the road. We reached home and I hurried to change. He had stayed in the car to wait for me. I ran back outside and closed the gate. He had leaned over and opened the door for me, so when I reached the car, I only had to get in and close the door.

Him: Seatbelt please.
Me: Yes, sir.

I had my seatbelt on, but he didn't start the car yet.

Me: What are you waiting for?
Him: Nothing.
Me: Then why aren't we going yet?
Him: I just want to enjoy this moment alone with you.

*Blush, blush*

He laughed softly and reached out his hand to hold mine. He played with my fingers and traced the ring on my finger with his.

Him: It looks good on you.
Me: Because it's really pretty.
Him: Just like you.

He side-smiled and cleared his throat. Then he faced me. I felt my face turn red. His other hand patted my cheeks. 

Him: You're blushing.
Me: Tch! I'm not.
Him: Okay. I think I can make you blush, though.
Me: Haha!

He stared at me, with his eyes looking at me like I was some kind of art piece that was being admired. Oh yes, I blushed. His lips turned up into a big smile as I blushed. He chuckled, and the next thing I know, his face was coming closer to mine. My heart was thumping so fast again. I could feel his breath and my eyes somehow involuntarily closed when his face was only a few centimeters apart from mine. Then I felt his lips on mine.

He. Was. Kissing. Me. Again.

I. Died.

Really.

The piano music in the background didn't help calm my nerves. My heart kept its thump-thump in my chest the whole time he was kissing me. I didn't realize that I had gripped the side of his shirt with my other hand. I only noticed when he broke the kiss to laugh and tug at my hand off of his shirt.

Me: M-mianhae..
Him: What for?
Me: Uhm..
Him: You're not only blushing. You're also tongue-tied. Hahah! Cute.

He patted my cheek again. 

Him: Saranghae, Xiao Yi.

I smiled sheepishly and made a face before I responded with, "Nado saranghae, Jungkook."

Him: Hmm?
Me: ...Oppa.

He looked away, but I saw him grinning widely from the reflection of the side mirror.

Me: You're happy aren't you...oppa?

He faced me again and wiggled his eyebrows as he smirked. He started the ignition and we were on our way back to the restaurant. Or so I thought.

Me: Uh...where-?
Him: I'm going to change too. Don't think that you're the only one who wants to change into someting more comfortable.
Me: Okay.

We reached their house a few minutes later. He parked his car in front and got out. He opened the door for me, and I got out. He didn't want me to wait in the car.

Somehow, we didn't notice someone who was sitting on the top step of the house. We were walking together hand in hand when the person on the steps spoke.

"Jungkook...can we talk?"

It was Halla.


 

 



 

吴爱你们!

And we're down to the last few chapters of this story next time.

This chapter wasn't easy for me to write and I hope you like it. 

Xiao Yi and Jungkook finally admitted their relationship, and Xiao Yi calling him "oppa" already. LOL.

Halla is bad news, but I assure you, it's not for long. Hehehe.

 

Anyway, here's a photo of what I think looks similar to Fusion's exterior.