Les Bal

Two Melodies

 

 

 

Taehyung probably felt bad when I said I was hurt that he exchanged me for a first class plane ticket and took it to heart. He had sent me a message explaining his reasons.

It was not solely because of the chance to fly first class, but because it was Aein's first time travelling abroad and Taetae missing her. Only Namjoon was left in Beijing because he was in-charge of the business there.

I totally understood. I missed my brothers, too. I'd gladly pick them over Jungkook. Uhm...yeah. I think.

I tried to think of other things to distract myself from the fact that Jungkook was standing beside me. But it wasn't working. I shifted awkwardly and the photographer called my attention, directing me to look straight at the camera and to look teasing. I was caught offguard. I blinked several times. The photographer shook his head and tried to tell me again what I needed to do. I heard a chuckle from behind me.

I swiped my foot backwards, hitting his leg. He grunted and I smirked. 

"That's good. Keep it up. Yes, like that."

I heard the photographer say. He took several photos of us after that.

Another set of group shots were taken with the girls. The boys were ushered outside. I thought they were already going to the ballroom, but as soon as we finished with the group shots, we were ushered out the courtyard. The boys were already taking their places. There were a few guests who were strolling around. Some of them stopped to watch the photoshoot and smiled at us.

It was my first time doing a professional photoshoot. I usually only took selfies in my room and random shots with friends. Only Kris ge was the one who had experience with this kind of thing, since his mom was a designer. Although Kai's mom was a model, he had politely declined taking photos for print media when he was with her.

The shoot went smoothly at the courtyard. But my feet were aching already. I still wasn't used to wearing high-heeled shoes. I had to sit down at the steps to the courtyard. Jungkook sat down beside me. The girls and other boys were being ushered back inside the hotel. Taeyong stopped to check on me as well. Dimwit came back to see as well.

I made a face. What was this dimwit doing back here? Ugh.

JK: You okay?
Me: Ye-nope.
JK/Taeyong: What's wrong?
Me: I can't walk with these shoes.

I straightened my legs and my feet peeped from under my skirt. I pointed at my shoes.

JK: Why did you wear that? Do you have another one? I can get it for you.
Me: Aniyo. I can't use the other one. It's too plain.
JK: Can you get up, though?
Taeyong: Just walk slowly?
Dimwit: I can carry you.

I snorted.

Me: No thanks. I can walk.
JK: You said your feet hurt.
Me: I just needed to rest for a bit. I'm okay. Let's go.

I stood up, holding on to Jungkook's shoulder to support my weight. He smirked and muttered something under his breath. Taeyong patted my arm and started walking back up the hotel, Dimwit beside him. Jungkook stood up and looked down at my feet. It was covered with the skirt of my gown, so he couldn't see it.

JK: Are you sure you can walk?
Me: Yes.

But I held on to his arm, to support myself. He didn't say anything, but I could tell he felt smug, because when Dimwit looked back, Jungkook straightened up and did that side smile.

 


 


I had given Jungkook my purse as we were ushered to the ballroom. There were guests coming in already, although the ball would be starting in a couple more hours. Cocktails were served and I fought the urge to take a bite of each the finger food. Jungkook had excused himself for a while, saying he was going to meet his appa who just arrived. I nodded and went to chat with the other girls.

There was a room beside the grand salon where most of the girls were waiting. I went there and waited with them. Some cavaliers were by the door, joking with the girls.

I automatically wondered which girl was most unfortunate to be partnered with Dimwit. I didn't see who he was paired with at the photoshoot because I was distracted by...Jungkook. Some Les Bal staff gathered us all around and announced that when it was time for us to be introduced, we had to go in the ballroom by pairs.

She then called out the order in which we were to go out. I waited for Dimwit's name to be called with his partner. A girl from Russia was his unfortunate partner. You could tell she looked bored when their names were called. Dimwit looked in my direction, and he smiled. I shuddered and rolled my eyes. The staff called my and Jungkook's name, but when she didn't see him, she asked me where my partner was. I told her where he was, and she nodded. 

Jungkook was gone for almost an hour. I was starting to panic, since it was almost time for the ball. I had already seen mama and papa during his absence. My parents were already in another hall, waiting for the party to officially start.

Jungkook appeared just in the nick of time. He was grinning. He looked funny carrying my purse. I only remembered I gave it to him when I saw him walking toward me. 

Me: What took you so long?
JK: Uh...had to look for appa.
Me: Didn't he say where he was when he arrived?
JK: Oh. Yeah, he did.
Me: And?
JK: What?

It was clear that he was out of focus. I elbowed him and he just asked me "what" one more time. I just shook my head and went over the instructions with him. The staff saw him and nodded. She looked relieved to see him. It was as if it could cost them their life if Jungkook went missing while we were being introduced.

 


 

The ball started.

We were introduced one by one. As the announcement over the surround speakers were done, Jungkook escorted me out to the ballroom. I smiled my best and courtsied once at the center. Papa and mama were acknowledged, as well as Mr. Kim. 

I went red when my name was called, together with papa, for the first dance. The dance to formally open the ball. Jungkook nudged me forward and he put his two thumbs up. I slowly stood up. Papa walked toward me and took my hand. I saw mama dabbing a hanky to her eyes. 

Mama was crying?

I made a face.

Papa cleared his throat.

"Yinzi. Smile."

I almost snorted. But I knew better than to snort in front of Wu Zun. I smiled. I let my gaze move from mama, Jungkook, papa, Jungkook, mama, Jungkook...you know the drill.

The music started and I awkwardly moved my feet to the beat. Papa chuckled as he led me to dance. I laughed. Papa rolled his eyes, as if to say "Fine...laugh...it's your night."

Then the rest of the fathers with their debutant daughters joined in the dance. 

I hugged papa. It was actually the first time I danced with him. He hugged me back.

Me: You dance pretty well, Pa.
Papa: Of course. Where else would your brothers get it from?
Me: Mama?
Papa: Yinzi, your mama admits I'm the better dancer.
Me: Okay, papa. Okay.

I chuckled and patted his back. He laughed softly. Wu Zun wasn't the strict papa tonight. I was glad.

He then led me to the table where Jungkook was sitting and spoke to him.

Papa: You take care of her tonight, young man. I'm going to dance with my Youmei.
JK: Yes, sir.

And papa gracefully walked back toward mama. I snorted. I sat down on the chair beside Jungkook.

Me: Where is your appa?
Him: Dancing with the Prime Minister's wife.
Me: Cool.
Him: I know right. But you know what's cooler?
Me: What?
Him: You, dancing with me.

I playfully slapped his arm. He rubbed it and stared at me.

Him: I'm not joking.
Me: I didn't say you were.
Him: So...dance with me?
Me: Uhm...okay.

He stood up and offered his hand. I hesitated for a bit, but took it anyway. He led me to the dance floor. I slowly exhaled. I was panicky. I was reminded of that one night about three years ago, Christmas party celebration of Soo Kui and Associates.

The first time we danced.

The music transitioned and the piano started playing. I recognized the melody, because Kai listened to classical music from time to time. And Baekhyun used to practice this piece with Lay.

Eugenie Rocherolle, "The French Waltz".

At that moment, my focus was fixed on Jungkook. He was staring at me. I courageously stared back at him. He smiled. I blushed. 

Him: No eagle-eyed hyung to watch over us.
Me: Hmm?
Him: I don't see any Luhan hyung or Kris hyung or-
Me: Do you want me to call them?
Him: No.
Me: Pfffft.
Him: How was it dancing with your papa?
Me: Surprisingly, it felt nice. I didn't feel papa's authoritarian side when he was dancing with me. Hahaha.
Him: That's good. How's it dancing with me?
Me: You?
Him: Yes, me.
Me: Well..
Him: Well?
Me: It's...nice.
Him: Hahah, okay. Nice.
Me: You dance well. I mean...
Him: *snorts* Of course, I dance well.
Me: Funny how you say the same thing with papa.
Him: Does that mean you feel the same dancing with me?
Me: Maybe?
Him: So, I'm like a dad to you?
Me: Meiyou.
Him: So, what am I to you?
Me: The music has ended.

We went back to our table and sat down. Dinner was served a little later. Jungkook's question was conveniently forgotten as we ate and socialized with the people. 

Papa and mama chit-chatted with the other parents and guests. They also introduced me to some of them. My eyes wandered around the place, watching Jungkook. He was being introduced by his appa to other businessmen. I could see him bow courteously to each of them as he was being introduced. I also saw some of the debutants' fathers introduce Jungkook to their daughters. I felt a tinge of jealousy as I saw him smile at them and shake their hands.

"Yinzi."

Papa's voice brought me back to my reality on this side of the ballroom.

I quickly turned my head to look at papa. I realized there were two other people in front of me. I did't recognize the tall man papa was introducing me to, but I recognized Dimwit's face. The tall man was his father. I shook his father's hand. Dimwit started flirting with me. I doubt papa or mama heard what he said, because they got busy talking with the other guests.

Dimwit: So, Yinzi. You finally met my father, and I yours.
Me: Yeah. And?
Dimwit: It's fate, don't you think?
Me: Fate? What do you mean fate?
Dimwit: Fate that we should meet here, and both of us meeting each other's parents almost right away.
Me: Okay. Where is fate there?
Dimwit: Don't you realize it? This ball is not only for charity. This is also for young men and women to meet their future wives or husbands.
Me: Ah...so, have you met yours already?
Dimwit: I think so.
Me: She's Russian, right?
Dimwit: No, not Russian. What makes you think that?
Me: Your partner is Russian.
Dimwit: Oh, yes. My partner is Russian. But, my future wife is not.
Me: Jinjja?
Dimwit: What?
Me: Oh, sorry. I forgot you don't speak Korean.
Dimwit: I don't. You're lucky you have a Korean friend who can teach you.
Me: Korean friend? You mean Jungkook?
Dimwit: Yes.
Me: He's Korean, but he didn't teach me how to speak Korean.
Dimwit: Really? Wow. You're not only pretty. You're also smart.
Me: I have Korean older brothers.
Dimwit: Wait. What?
Me: Oh, Jungkook isn't just a friend.
Dimwit: Wh-he's a what?

But I couldn't answer him. I had to hold my tongue or else, I'd probably be sent back to London, away from Jungkook, if I made another mistake. Nobody has to know before the family would announce it officially, soon.

I turned around and started walking back to my table. I was ready to slap Dimwit again if he tried to grab my hand, but he didn't. I was thankful for that. I took a deep breath as soon as I sat down. Jungkook was still not back from his rounds. I reclined on my seat and stretched my legs. My heels and toes were aching from the 4-inch heels I was wearing. I looked around me. No one was looking at me and papa and mama were at the far end of the ballroom. I quickly unbuckled the straps and kicked my shoes off. I placed my feet flat on the cold floor. It felt nice. I laughed to myself. 

"You never change."

I was caught off-guard. Jungkook suddenly appeared out of nowhere and commented on my bare feet on the floor.

Me: Aish.
Him: Didn't I tell you I could get more comfortable shoes for you?
Me: I know. But-
Him: Give me your shoes.
Me: Why?
Him: I'll go and get you something more comfortable.
Me: No. It's fine. I just need to rest my feet for a bit.
Him: You probably won't be able to walk properly, Xiao Yi.
Me: Then, I can just hold on to you. Or you won't let me?
Him: Pshhh. As if I won't.
Me: There you go. No need to change my shoes.

Yes. I was stubborn.

I only put my shoes on again when he asked me to dance. He teased me, saying I should try dancing with bare feet. I was up to the challenge, but he made me wear my shoes anyway.

 


 

I was supposed to go with papa and mama back to their hotel after the ball, but I was allowed to choose whether to stay one more night at the Shangri-La or with them. 

I chose to stay one more night at the Shang, and hoped that Jungkook would do the same. Wishful thinking.

I don't know. It was weird thinking that I won't see him again after the ball. As if I won't see him back in Beijing. But deep in my mind, I knew he'd soon be out of Beijing and probably be in California or Korea for his university studies. 

Papa and mama left the party as soon as it ended. Jungkook's father also called it a night, telling his son he's welcome to transfer to his hotel tonight. Jungkook just nodded and bade his dad goodnight.

With my papa out of sight, I was free to roam around barefoot. I excused myself from the ballroom and walked out to the courtyard. I took off my shoes and let myself feel the cold stone floor. Jungkook walked behind me, chuckling. I knew he was amused. He offered to carry my shoes for me, I gave it to him.

Taeyong and his posse appeared. Dimwit was with them. Taeyong's debutant partner was joking with him as they made their way to the courtyard. We all exchanged pleasantries again as we met there. I suddenly had the urge to get away from Dimwit, so I told Jungkook it would be best if we go back to our hotel room instead of wander around. Jungkook grunted his approval, eyeing Dimwit with a piercing stare. I excused myself from Taeyong's posse, pretending to be going to the ladies' room. Taeyong's partner suddenly walked beside me, telling the boys she was going to the ladies' room too. The rest of the girls went with us. And unfortunately, the boys trooped behind us, wanting to wait for the girls outside the ladies' room.

Before I went inside, Jungkook softly reminded me that he'd wait for me outside. Dimwit heard it, I guess, for he was near. I also heard him say something to Jungkook, but didn't know what, for I had already closed the door behind me.

I was about to go inside a cubicle when I heard shouting from outside. The other girls with me all turned their heads toward the door and we rushed to see what was going on.

I saw Jungkook storming away from the scene, with my shoes in hand. Dimwit was smirking and shouting after Jungkook. Taeyong's arms were around Dimwit's middle, preventing him from going after Jungkook.

Me: What is going on? Jungkook!
Dimwit: Oh, so you choose him over me?
Me: What's wrong with it?
Dimwit: And he's waiting for you to what? So you both could go up his room and do pretty much whatever you want with each other?
Me: How dare you?
Taeyong: Easy, bro. You don't wanna go there. You're drunk. Shut up.
Dimwit: I don't wanna shut up. I wanna know how that Korean guy is better than me? Is he good in bed? Huh?

I clenched my fist, trying to hold back my anger. But when he asked me that, I felt more than annoyed and punched him in the face with whatever strength was left of me. He fell on the floor. At least that's what happened, for Taeyong stopped holding him back.

Me: He's not like you. That's why I choose him over you.
Taeyong: Like I said, bro. You shouldn't have.

I saw Taeyong shaking his head, not even trying to help Dimwit up. The other girls were shaking their heads as well.

"Your father will probably hear about this, good luck."

"Just wish your father won't know. I saw him very happy talking to Mr. Kim earlier."

"No girl would choose you over that Korean guy."


I ran after Jungkook. I was glad I was barefoot, so I could run properly. I found him standing at the corridor near the elevators, leaning on the wall, with my shoes dangling from his fingers. I stood in front of him, catching my breath.

Him: Why are you running?
Me: I was trying to catch up to you.
Him: I was just waiting here.
Me: I thought you just walked off, forgetting about me.
Him: As if *smirk*
Me: *makes a face*
Him: I was able to wait for you three years, how much more just 3 minutes?
Me: *blush* ...thanks

He straightened up and walked over to the elevators, pressed the button, jerked his head to follow him, and stepped inside the cabin. I followed him.

Him: So, you punched him, huh?
Me: Yes. How'd you know?
Him: I heard everything.
Me: Well, I got really mad.
Him: Scary. *snorts*
Me: Aish.
Him: With twelve brothers, I was sure you could knock him down.
Me: I wanted to kick him too, actually.
Him: You should have, but then again, you are a lady.
Me: Ladies can kick , too, you know.
Him: No question about that.

We reached our floor. Jungkook walked ahead of me. I could sense something different. He was walking really slow, as if he didn't wanna reach our door yet. I walked a little faster. He matched my pace and subtly held my hand with his free hand. We reached our door and he opened the door.

"Ladies first."

I stepped inside.

And froze, as soon as I walked in.

Why?

"Well...do you like it?"

I could only nod.

Several vases of red roses were in the room. There was a bouquet of white roses on the dresser. He walked past me, to the dresser, and took it. He cleared his throat and shyly offered me the roses.

"Wu Yinzi, as white as these roses, with pure intentions, I'd like to ask something."

I blushed.

 



 

What's Jungkook's question?

Do you know?

吴爱你,我爱你!

감사합니다 ♡JungYi♡