사랑한대

Two Melodies

 

 

Best to read this chapter while listening to: 네 생각 나더라 (Standing Egg)

 

"Jungkook...can we talk?"

Halla stood up and walked toward us. Jungkook gripped my wrist and pulled me close. Halla stepped forward and faced him.

Jungkook: Why are you here?
Halla: I want to talk to you?
Jungkook: What about?
Halla: Can she...can we talk somewhere...alone?

I started to tug my wrist away from Jungkook's grip, but he pulled me closer.

Jungkook: Uh, no. Xiao Yi stays here. We don't keep secrets from each other.
Halla: Fine. So, I want to know why you suddenly changed your mind.
Jungkook: Huh? Changed my mind about what?
Halla: About us? You told everyone you liked an exchange student. Now, I learned that you are marrying her and...that you...
Jungkook: What?
Halla: In Paris, you said you're in a relationship with her since then. But you told everyone in school that-
Jungkook: Hold on. Wait. Let me try to understand what you're saying.
Halla: Okay.

I was becoming uneasy, but Halla didn't seem to want to go away. I felt Jungkook was starting to get annoyed, but trying to be rational about it.

Jungkook: I didn't say I liked you. I said I liked someone who was an exchange student. I never said your name. 
Halla: But I'm an exchange student, and between me and other exchange students in school, I have more connection with you.
Jungkook: Xiao Yi was an exchange student too.
Halla: She's from here...
Jungkook: In London. And I meant her, not you.
Halla: But why did you lead me on?
Jungkook: I'm sorry if you assumed, but I never said it was you. It's always been Xiao Yi.
Halla: So now I'm the one at fault?
Jungkook: I don't know where you're aiming at, but I' being honest with you. I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I told everyone. I never said any name that time, so I don't know why you assumed it was you. I never meant it that way. 

He was starting to raise his voice and I cringed a bit because I was getting scared. 

Me: Uhm, I don't mean to interrupt, but I think Jungkook has clarified what he said that you misunderstood. 
Halla: I wasn't talking to you.
Me: You weren't talking to me, but-
Halla: So don't in, juseyo.
Jungkook: I have nothing to say to you anymore. I have made everything clear and I apologized for confusing you. Please don't talk to Xiao Yi like that.
Halla: Why her? Why?
Jungkook: Because I love her. I really don't want to disrespect you, but Xiao Yi and I has to go back to Fusion. I'm just here to change. If you don't mind, we'll get going. 

He didn't wait for Halla's reply though. He pulled me toward the door and fumbled for the keys in his pocket. He opened the door and quickly closed it after us. He was muttering something, but I couldn't make out what it was. He ran his hand against his hair and sighed loudly. 

Me: Are you okay?
Him: Now, I'm okay.
Me: Inhale...exhale...

He had his hands on his waist and did what I told him to do. Then he patted my shoulder and pointed at the couch.

I suddenly felt like crying. He pulled me into a hug and rubbed my back.

Him: You okay?
Me: Aniyo. You scared me out there.
Him: I'm sorry.
Me: *just nods*
Him: Will you be fine down here? I'm not going to be long. Just make yourself at home.

I nodded and went to sit. He had run upstairs. I reclined and closed my eyes. It was good that tears didn't fall down. I wasn't able to think clearly, not knowing whether Halla was still outside or not. If she was still outside, I didn't know what would happen once Jungkook and I stepped out the door. I sort of understood her disappointment because she hoped Jungkook meant it was her and not me. But if you come to think of it, he also never said it was her. Jungkook already apologized to her, but she didn't say sorry for misunderstanding and assuming things.

Grrrrr!

I was nice most of the time, but at that moment, I didn't really feel I was nice. I just hoped that none of my brothers knew about what just happened.

Jungkook came running down the stairs. He was wearing a simple white tee and dark jeans. He was running his fingers through his hair, too.

Him: Let's go!
Me: That was fast.
Him: Omo! I forgot to retouch my makeup..
Me: Shut up. Tch!
Him: Hahahah! Yeah, let's go.
Me: What if-
Him: What if what?
Me: Halla...
Him: Ah..this is my house, I do what I want to do and what I want right now is to leave with you back to the restaurant. That's what we're going to do.
Me: Okay.

I stood up and walked toward the door. He followed me and stopped for a bit while holding the doorknob. He shrugged and turned the knob open.

No Halla outside.

Him: Ahhh...fresh air.
Me: Is she gone?
Him: I think so.
Me: I was scared for a bit there.
Him: We'd lock ourselves inside if she was still out here. Hahah!
Me: And make the others worry where we are?
Him: They won't really worry. Not anymore. They know where we are.

He stepped outside and looked around. It was as if he was playing hide and seek, searching for his playmates.

Him: All clear. Nice.

He walked over to his car and opened the passenger side. I climbed in and he closed the door after me like a gentleman before he came round his driver's side of the car.

 


 

Baekhyun was waiting for us outside the restaurant when we arrived. As soon as he saw Jungkook's car, he straightened up and flexed his arm muscles. I wanted to flick his head right there and then. I didn't wait for Jungkook to open the door for me and just went out, heading straight for Baek.

Baek: Well, hello. Good thing you two are back.
Me: Is there something wrong?
Baek: I checked my watch how long you two were gone...
Me: And?
Baek: Did you two-
Me: We didn't do anything.
Baek: Ooh! Defensive meimei. Makes me think you two did something you shouldn't do, then.
Me: We didn't. What made you say that?
Baek: I was only going to ask if you two got lost or got stuck in traffic coming back here.
Me: Oh..

Jungkook smiled shyly at Baek when he reached us. Baek raised his chin up and nodded once at Jungkook, trying to look intimidating.

Baek: Thank you for bringing my sister back safely.
Jungkook: Ahh...yeah. That's no big deal hyung. I'm supposed to do that.
Baek: Good. You may go in, now.

I hit Baek with my purse, and he just showed me his evil grin. Jungkook didn't see it, and I was glad he didn't. I didn't want him to think my brothers didn't like him. I stuck my tongue out at Baek and grabbed Jungkook by the arm and pulled him inside the restaurant.

There were still people from earlier, having coffee outside. I spotted Xiumin and Sohee eonnie having a what looked like happy conversation on one of the corner tables inside. Papa, mama, and Jungkook's parents were seated near the bar, talking business as usual. The Mins were no longer there except Namjoon, who was rounding up his staff, already done with their part and about to call it a day.

Jimin called Jungkook's name, and we saw him sitting at the table near the corner window. Yue was with him. She told me later that she was late for the opening, so she decided to just come by after. She smiled at Jungkook and gave him a thumbs up. She also told me that Ling Yan and Shanna couldn't make it because of the new year celebrations with their families. She was lucky to have been given permission by her papa, and her papa had driven her to the restaurant and extended his congratulations on the opening and...my engagement.

Jin and J were having fun with Sehun, Kai and Kris at one of the larger tables. They were telling stories animatedly, especially J. My brothers were enjoying his company. I felt at ease seeing that they were getting along just fine.

Luhan was at the bar, supervising the cashier. Because the restaurant was officially open, regular customers were starting to come in and try out the menu and hanging out with coffee purchases.

Jimin: So, how is it being engaged?
Jungkook: Hyung, we are only a few hours engaged. What's there to tell?
Jimin: Ahahah. Kookie-ya, you two disappeared for a while. Where did you both go...and what did you do?
Jungkook: There are minors here hyung. Please watch your mouth.
Jimin: Nugu? Nugu? 

Jimin had turned his head left and right, looking shocked. Jungkook kicked him from under the table. I knew because Jimin snorted and kicked him back. Yue rolled her eyes and rested her chin on her hand. The two guys kept bickering, so me and Yue talked with ourselves.

Yue: Congratulations, Xiao Yi.
Me: Thank you.
Yue: Ling Yan and Shanna really wanted to come, but you know..
Me: Yeah. But it's okay. It's not as if the world is gonna end if they miss one event, right?
Yue: Yeah. It would have been epic if I was here to witness Jungkook's speech. Hahah!
Me: I was red in the face the whole time.
Yue: And everyone was looking at you. OMG. How did you deal?
Me: I didn't deal. I almost fainted, but was glad it was out in the open at last.
Yue: Now that you and Jungkook are officially out together, and engaged, it means we're going to be sisters...
Me: Wait. Do you mean to say-
Yue: Ah..ahh...no, no. That's not what- Ugh! 

She covered her face with both her hands. I laughed. I tapped the table to get Jimin's attention.

Me: Jimin.
Jimin: Wae?
Me: So, tell me. Have you proposed marriage to Yue?
Jimin: Naneun eobsda.
Me: Are you sure?
Yue: He hasn't.
Jungkook: Hyung, you're so slow.
Jimin: Unlike you, appa doesn't think I'm at the marrying age.
Jungkook: You are older.
Jimin: Such disrespect to your hyung, maknae.
Jungkook: I'm not going to get married until I'm twenty-one. You're just one year short of that age. Ah...short. LOL.
Jimin: Yah! Jungkook! 

He started kicking his younger brother from under the table again.

Jungkook: Your legs are short, hyung. Can't reach me.
Jimin: What the hell?

Yue and I just rolled our eyes and continued talking, not minding the two. 

I didn't tell Yue about what happened earlier with Halla. I didn't want her to share the burden that was Halla. Yue had done a lot for me, and it would do her good if I don't add something that would stress her out, as well. 

 


 


FIS on the first day back after the new year holiday was a different situation I had to face. 

People who knew me started to talk in hushed tones as I passed by. People who didn't know me still talked in hushed tones whenever I passed by. There was one topic I noticed.

"Wu Yinzi? She's the one that Jungkook meant when he said exchange student, not Lee Halla. She ain't exchange student here, though. Do you think Jungkook just gave that excuse?"

"Those that went to the opening of Fusion said that he gave a speech saying that he wasn't agreeing to the marriage just because of business."

"Zhen de ma? Really? I'm doubtful. Maybe he was forced to say it because he couldn't disobey his dad."

"But they say Jungkook and Xiao Yi were in a relationship when they were in Paris."

"You have a point there. When they returned from Paris, they started being closer. I noticed that."

"Poor Halla."

"Wu Yinzi isn't the kind of girl to steal a guy, though."

"So, Lee Halla is the kind to steal a guy?"

"I don't know."

I pretended to not hear anything and just walk by. It hurt to listen to words like that. I wanted to cry, but whenever a tear almost fell, I remembered Jungkook's hug that day. It relaxed me and forgot the pain even for just a little while.

I consoled myself by sending him a text message asking how he was. He would reply saying he was having trouble with something his teacher gave him, but that he would get by because I remembered him. That made me smile. Everytime I came across people talking about me, Jungkook, and Halla, I sent him a message. He never failed to reply even if it was a few minutes late. I knew he had classes and stuff to do besides give me attention, so I understood.

He ate lunch at the middle high cafeteria with me and picked me up after classes. I would find him waiting by my locker every afternoon after classes. He would stad beside my locker and offering me a flower he had plucked from the school gardens on his way to my locker.

Gradually, the stories about me, him, and Halla died down. People started getting convinced that what we had was real. Some had giggled when Jungkook surprised me with a bunch of flowers and weeds. He was laughing so hard when he showed what was behind his back. He said he was in a hurry because the school gardener saw him plucking the flowers that the weeds came with it. 

I accepted the flowers with the weeds, of course. But I told him he shouldn't pluck the school flowers. I was fine with just seeing him after school. 

Then it hit me.

He was graduating soon. In just a few months. He was making up for the times he won't be here after he graduates. My face fell. I was going to miss him. And it was as if he could read my mind even if he wasn't with me, he called me.

Me: Wei?
Him: It's a Friday. Doing anything tomorro?
Me: No, why?
Him: Skateboard date?
Me: You know I don't skate.
Him: Ah, I do the skateboarding, and you just have to hold on to my waist...you know.
Me: Hahah! Okay.
Him: Before lunch? My treat for lunch then we'll go skateboarding.
Me: Sure. Since you're paying.
Him: Tch! You're only coming because I'm going to feed you.
Me: Aniyo. The food is just a plus point.
Him: I'm starting to believe you there.
Me: Oppa, I still have the weeds you plucked. It's dried now, though, but still on one of my vases on my table.
Him: You love me that much that you are willing to keep weeds beside you on your bed.
Me: Of course.
Him: I love you that much that I am willing to make a fool of myself in front of a lot of people and even get scolded by the school gardener just to get you your flowers.
Me: And weeds.
Him: Yeah. And weeds.
Me: See you tomorrow then.
Him: Can't wait.
Me: Just one sleep away.
Him: That's a lot of time wasted.
Me: Cheesy.
Him: I know you like it.
Me: You know me so well.
Him: Of course. I love you.
Me: I'm blushing.
Him: Take a selca and send it to me. I wanna see your pink cheeks.
Me: Yah! No can do.
Him: I'm frowning right now.
Me: I can't see. Take a selca and send it to me. I wanna see your frowning bunny face.
Him: Okay.

And just like that, he ended the call. And true enough, a few seconds later, I was snorting at his frowning face selca. I had to send him a selca and used filters that showed really pink cheeks. He sent me a kissy face smiley after that.

Of course. He knew how to shut me up.

LOL.

 




吴爱你们!

😘

Jungkook being cute with Xiao Yi.

Even though this story is about to end, I hope you won't forget JungYi, the Wu family, Kim family, and Min family.

I am thinking of drafting a continuation story about JungYi being married.

For now, you may want to check out a short story I am writing about Min Yoongi. It's in its experimental stage, and currently has one chapter.

Just click on this link to get to the story:  MIN YOONGI: The Boss and the Babysitter

Hope you will support this story as well. Thank you. ^_^