"I'm Serious"

Two Melodies

 

First day back at school. I wore a smile on my face. I couldn't hide the fact that Jungkook made my morning sunny. I had woken up to a good morning text message from him. I probably looked like a clown the whole time I was eating breakfast. No wonder the big brothers gave me that "are you crazy?" looks. 

I rode with Sehun to school today. Kai refused to drive me to school because as he said, I probably would turn into a zombie and attack him on the way, by the looks I was displaying. I just grinned at him and flipped my hair.

I took a deep breath as I approached my locker. I opened it and stashed the books I didn't need for the first and second period and pulled out the ones I needed. I stuffed them in my backpack and slammed the locker door shut. 

"Hi."

I jumped in shock and frowned when I saw who it was.

Jungkook's smiling face appeared in front of me.

Me: You scared me!
Him: Mianhae.
Me: *slaps his arm*
Him: Ouch! Xiao Yi! It hurts.
Me: That's for scaring me.
Him: I said I'm sorry.
Me: Okay.
Him: So...had a good sleep?
Me: Yes, why?
Him: Well, you said you had a problem at home, so I just wanted to know if...you are...okay.
Me: Let's not think about it. It's just making me sad.
Him: Okay. I'll walk you to your class.
Me: And you?
Him: I brought my car, so of course I'll drive to the senior campus.
Me: Won't you be late?
Him: You're worth it.
Me: Psh.
Him: I'm not kidding Xiao Yi.
Me: *makes a face*
Him: What's that face?

I stuck my tongue out at him and started walking toward the building where I had my first class. He followed me. I heard him chuckle as he caught up with me. I suddenly had the urge to hold his hand, but inside my head something shouted a warning not to. I just sighed.

Arriving outside my classroom, he patted my head. I felt like a puppy. My hand automatically went to my neck to touch the puppy pendant on my necklace. He saw the gesture and snorted.

Him: I have practice later. It's my first day back too, and Kai has told me firmly that I had to attend practice today because our next competition would be early January. We have an early Christmas break, so the team's on double time to perfect our tricks.
Me: Okay.

I snorted. He was explaining already. Hahaha. It was cute.

Him: So, how are you gonna get home later? Sehun's part of the team too, you know that.
Me: Oh. I might hitch a ride with Yue.
Him: Okay. See you lunch?
Me: Uh...aren't we supposed to lie low from being seen together?
Him: Ahhhh, that. I have decided I don't really care if they us together a lot. Sooner or later they have to know.
Me: Jungkook!
Him: Relax Xiao Yi. I got this.
Me: *glares*
Him: You're still pretty even if you glare.
Me: Aish!

He laughed and wiggled his eyebrows. He reached out a hand and grabbed mine. I frantically looked around to see if there were people watching us. Luckily, there was no one in sight outside. The only people I saw was already inside the classroom.

Him: Tsk. Stop being paranoid, Xiao Yi. I told you I got this.
Me: *sighs* Okay, as you say.
Him: But, if it makes you uncomfortable, I'll be careful.
Me: Thanks.
Him: Lunch today, okay? I promise to be careful.
Me: Okay.

He squeezed my hand and smiled. I smiled back. He let go of my hand and started walking away. He raised a hand in goodbye as he walked. I snorted. I watched his back disappear as he turned the corner toward the exit path. I smiled to myself as I entered the classroom.

 


 

Lunchtime, I sat with Yue and Shanna at the school cafeteria. Ling Yan was absent. Shanna said that Ling Yan was out of the country. She decided to go at the last minute, so she wasn't able to tell us all. Her papa had some business out of the country and she wanted to come.

The cafeteria pipe-in music was from the school's own FM station, manned by the journalism and music major students. Namjoon and Hoseok were once DJs of this station until they graduated 2 years ago.

I haven't forgotten Jungkook's lunch invitation, but as I didn't want to be obvious, I went with my friends. Jungkook appeared a few minutes later, as we made our way to the empty table carrying our food trays. Jungkook fell in line to get his lunch and we waited for him at the table.

I pretended not to feel anything as I anticipated Jungkook joining us for lunch.

Yue was sitting beside me, but as soon as Jungkook arrived with his food tray, she stood up and slid on the seat beside Shanna. They chuckled and softly cleared their throats. Jungkook sat down beside me and placed his tray on the table.

Him: Hi, girls.
Shanna/Yue: Hi, Jungkook.
Him: Let's eat?

I smiled. Shanna and Yue snickered and nodded. I thought to myself, "If you only knew."

"Our next song is an original composition dedicated to Wu Yinzi. The sender didn't wish to be named, but he noted that this song is specially for you. He said you already know the title of the song.. Let's listen to it."

The song started with that familiar piano intro.

Haruman.

Jungkook.

I smiled a little, not to be obvious, but it seemed that Yue and Shanna already noticed. The whole song was just t he piano instrumental, and  it sounded really good over the air while eating lunch.

Yue: You seem to have a secret admirer, Xiao Yi. And you know the song?
Shanna: Yeah, you know it?
Me: I think so.
Yue: So, you know who dedicated that song?
Me: I think so.
Shanna: Hey, Jungkook.
Him: Ne?
Shanna: Did you compose that song for Xiao Yi?

Jungkook just shrugged. Shanna shook her head and looked disappointed.

Yue: You know how to play the piano, Kookie. Jimin told me.
Jungkook: Yeah, I know.
Yue: So, there's a chance you're the one who-
Me: He-
Yue: I knew it!
Shanna: OMG! How cute!

And they both gushed and clapped happily like seals. I rolled my eyes. So much for being subtle.

Jungkook smiled his trademark side smile. He picked up his spoon and fork and started eating. The two girls n front of us giggled in between bites. I ate silently, suddenly shy.

 


 


The afternoon classes were interrupted by an announcement from the school admin that the 30th of November will be a special school celebration welcoming the Christmas month. There will be a program and presentations from the different clubs will be showcased.

I remembered the last time I attended the Christmas specials, all 13 of us were still students of this school. Kai and Kyungsoo were part of a play that Suho was a production staff of.

I let myself drift into a daydream that included my 12 older brothers. I was lucky enough not to be called by my teacher to answer her questions as she lectured us about the current economic state of the country.

 


 

Saturday and Sunday passed by quickly. 

The three oldies seemed cheerful as well over the weekend. Kyungie had called them up to tell them that everything Tao had told them was part of a scenario plan that he suggested just so he could practice his knowledge. He was sorry it had blown out of proportion when Tao made it seem real and the rest of us frantic. Luhan still wanted Kris to go and check on them, just to be sure. Kyungsoo couldn't say no, knowing he played a big part making trouble even if he didn't mean to. Tao apologized for the ruckus, but said he wasn't sorry he was a good actor.

Baekhyun called to say he had a plan already, but was disappointed to know that everything was just a roleplay devised by Kyungie. He grumbled and swore to make Kyungie pay soon. Kris just chuckled and virtual-patted him on the shoulder, telling him he could do that as soon as he comes home for Christmas.

Lay and Suho had done a video call, looking lost. They had a lot of questions and Luhan had to relay everything to them. Suho had to shut his laptop down, because mama kept walking past them. They picked an obvious place to make the video call and Luhan got annoyed having to repeat himself everytime Suho called back.

We greeted Chanyeol a happy birthday, and apologized it was a late greeting, letting him understand that before Kyungie's confession, we had a major Tao problem. He understood and was glad that it was all untrue. But he also vowed to make Kyungie pay. His birthday was almost forgotten because of Kyungie and Tao. Chenchen was at the bathroom the time we called Chanyeol. Yo oppa purposedly stood outside the bathroom door to let us hear Chen singing in the shower.

I was secretly happy, knowing I'd get a little more freedom now that the problem with Tao wasn't real.

I happily sent a message to Jungkook, telling him of the good news. He replied with a few smileys. He was probably busy. 

 


 

30th of November. School. Festive mood all over the place.

Some homeroom classes put up booths out the mini park and some commercial booths were also put up. The school had sponsors from companies that exhibited their products in cute little booths, as well. The senior campus had some of those outdoor spa booths, and mostly freshmen girls frequented them.

There was something about the senior guys in this school that most freshmen girls seemed to be drawn to. This year, Sehun was the most popular senior. Kai came in third, losing to Seungyeon on second place. Yibo's cousin got the silver medal for being popular because of his antics. Yeah, he was that funny to most girls. Yibo came in 5th. Not bad, he had said, conceding to Jungkook who beat him at number 4.

I refused to go to the senior campus, though, even if Yue wanted to check out the outdoor spa booths. Classes weren't being held seriously, students were given group activities in relation to the event. I get nervous every time I stepped out of the classroom. I kept wishing not to see Jungkook. I didn't know why, but I got nervous every time I thought about bumping into him. Yue noticed my discomfort and asked if I was okay. We were walking toward a hotdog stand in the middle of the mini park. I nodded slowly.

Shanna braved going alone to the senior campus to try the spa booth. She was second bravest when it comes to random things like this. Ling Yan beat us all. She didn't care what others would say when she is determined about something.

The hotdog stand sold different flavored toppings. We had fun picking which ones looked delicious. I had a sudden craving for a sweet chilli cheese. Yue looked horrified at the thought of chilli. I just grinned at her and told her I'm a brave girl. She chose a bacon and cheese overload topping.

I heard someone call my name. I looked around for the voice calling me. I spied someone waving at me at the other end of the line of booths. The booth was brightly colored and I gestured to Yue to walk with me toward that direction.

Namjoon was smiling from ear to ear as we approached the booth. 

Namjoon: Xiao Yi, how are you?
Me: Hungry. Hahah.
Namjoon: Free ice cream for you and your friend.
Me: Wow, thanks.
Namjoon: Jimin's girlfriend, right? Yue?
Yue: Y-yes. 

Yue smiled demurely. Namjoon was smiling, his dimples showing. Halla was there with him, helping him man the booth. She had asked to be excused from class, so she could help. Namjoon said his appa sent the letter of sponsorship to the school, so he couldn't say no to putting up the booth and helping out. Most of their ice cream were for free, only 3 flavors were for sale, their newest ones.

"Namu-namu-namoppa! Look! It's Kookie oppa-yaaaa! He come to eat ice cream!"

I turned around to see Aein pulling Jungkook by the hand.

Namjoon: Ah...yeah. I'm also babysitting. 
Me: Hahah, that's cute. I didn't see her on my way.
Namjoon: I let her sit down on one of those poufs over there.
Me: Ah...I see. 

There were several colored poufs under a tree. Some stuffed toys and dolls were on the grass. There was a girl I recognized from the ice cream shop as well. She wass minding Aein while Namjoon was in the booth. I recognized Namjoon's car parked beside the tree as well.

Jungkook raised his eyebrows as he stood in front of the ice cream booth.

Him: Do I get one for free, too?
Namjoon: Of course. Unless you want to pay, it's fine by me too.
Him: Ah, aniyo. I want a free ice cream. Heheh.
Aein: Try green apple oppa! Teyungie like. Aein like.
Him: Oh, so Taetae's fave is this green apple?
Aein: Neh.
Namjoon: Aein-ah, go play under that tree.
Aein: Okay. Bye bye yeppeo eonni-ya. Kookie oppa bye bye.

I laughed as Aein hugged Jungkook's leg before she ran toward the colored poufs again to play.

Jungkook subtly went to stand beside me. He had that naughty smile on his face as he placed his hands on his hips, while he waited for Namjoon to hand him the ice cream. Yue had excused herself to join Aein under the tree.

Namjoon excused himself for a while as well. He had to go to the men's room. Halla was left to man the booth. The other girl who was with Yue and Aein spoke to Yue for a bit, then Yue nodded. The girl walked over to the booth and helped Halla. Yue and Aein were playing. Jungkook stepped closer beside me.

Him: This green apple ice cream indeed tastes good.
Me: Jinjja?
Him: Ne. Want some? *hands the ice cream*
Me: Uh...

He leaned closer and whispered.

Him: We already kissed. It's not like you haven't-
Me: JUNGKOOK!

He jumped. He was startled when I screamed his name. He almost dropped his ice cream.

Him: Xiao Yi. Is this how you get your revenge?
Me: Maybe.
Him: *chuckles and snorts*
Me: Shut up.
Him: Why? I was only telling the truth.
Me: SHHHHHHHHHHH!

I was blushing too hard. And he was enjoying it.

Suddenly, Halla came to the front and grabbed Jungkook by the arm. He looked at her, puzzled.

Halla: Kookie, are you busy? Do you have a class now?
Him: Ani...waeyo?
Halla: Oh...good. Uhm...Xiao Yi, can I borrow him for a while? 
Me: Uhm...o..okay.
Him: See you later?
Me: Okay?

Halla dragged him away after a quick talk to the other girl, excusing herself for a bit.

I was left dumbfounded. I could only shake my head in disbelief. Another girl has just grabbed my boyfriend's arm and dragged him away from me and I couldn't do anything about it.

What?

Namjoon returned and thanked Yue for minding Aein for a bit. He asked the other girl where Halla was, and I told him. Namjoon just sighed and nodded. He was needed back at the ice cream shop. He had to leave with Aein, and Halla had to help in the booth. I volunteered to look for her. I told Yue we were going to look for Halla and Jungkook.

We searched the school grounds for them. We found them at the most unexpected places. I say unexpected, because I didn't think Halla would drag Jungkook to that place...even if it was obvious that she liked him.

Halla was standing in front of Jungkook, talking to him. Then she pointed at the booth near them. Jungkook's face was red. He wasn't smiling.

It was a wedding booth.

My insides churned. I felt nauseous and had to grab Yue's shoulders to prevent myself from falling. I wanted to shout and call Halla, but no sound came out of my lips. It was Yue who called Halla. The girl was about to drag Jungkook to the booth when Yue called out to her.

"Halla! Namjoon's looking for you!"

Jungkook tugged his arm free from Halla's grip. He still wasn't smiling. Halla smiled at him before she ran toward the ice cream booth's direction.

I saw Jungkook take a deep breath before he walked toward me and Yue. He looked at me in the eyes.

Him: Are you okay?
Yue: Of course, she is not okay. What were you doing with her?
Him: Who?
Yue: Halla.
Him: Nothing. She just grabbed my arm and dragged me here.
Yue: Jungkook...
Him: Yue, please leave her with me. I'll take care of her from here.
Yue: You better, Jungkook. I'm gonna tell your Jimin hyung if you don't behave yourself.
Him: Aish. I'm not misbehaving...*mutters*
Yue: Okay, I'll leave her with you. You know the Wu brothers are just one call away.

Jungkook took another deep breath and nodded.

When Yue was gone, he looked me in the eyes again. He held me up with both his hands on my arms.

Him: Are you okay?
Me: Yes.
Him: Honestly?
Me: No.
Him: Good. You are honest.
Me: Okay.
Him: She confessed to me as she was dragging me here. I didn't know.
Me: *smirks*
Him: I told her I can't accept her.
Me: Then why...*mutters*
Him: Why what?
Me: That booth *points*
Him: I think she wanted to get her message across that she was serious.
Me: Then?
Him: But I'm not. At least not with her.
Me: Liar.
Him: I'm not lying.
Me: Liar.
Him: Do you want to go to that booth with me, right  now?
Me: Shenme? Qu nali? What..where?
Him: You know...that booth...
Me: Aish.
Him: I'm serious, Wu Yinzi.

Yes, he looked serious. But my knees gave in. LOL.

Damn.

 



 

Who's happy? >_<

吴爱你,我爱你!

감사합니다 ♡JungYi♡