Zürich

Two Melodies

 

 

 

XIUMIN

 

I just arrived home and checked my phone. I was shocked to see Baekhyun's message. He was in Zurich. He was supposed to be in Paris to pick up Xiao Yi and Jungkook. He had said in his message that he didn't know how he got to Zurich. He was sure that his train ticket was Marseilles-Paris. He was in panic, I was sure of that. He was tasked to look after Xiao Yi in Paris before Papa gets there. Papa was currently in California checking up on Tao and Kyungsoo. He was scheduled to travel to London in a day to pick up mama Wu before they leave together for Paris to chaperone at the Les Bal debutant event where Xiao Yi was attending.

 

I immediately thought of Chen or Chanyeol who would prank Baekhyun. I had gotten inside the front door and stopped to collect my thoughts before I dialled Chen's number. It was 7PM, Beijing time. We were 7 hours ahead of Paris and Zurich. It would be around 12noon there. Kris and Luhan were not home yet, I guessed from the fact that the garage was empty of their cars. Sehun and Kai were home and probably in their rooms.

 

Chen answered his phone after three rings. I was ready to scold him or Chanyeol, whichever of them was responsible.

Chen: Hyung.

Me: Tell me the truth Jongdae.

Chen: Uh-oh...

Me: So, were you the one who-

Chen: I didn't do anything, hyung.

Me: Do you even know what I'm talking about?

Chen: I guess so. Baekhyun is in Zurich.

Me: You know very well this is serious.

Chen: I know, hyung. But really, I didn't do anything. I was shocked as well when I read his message.

Me: Is Chanyeol there?

Chen: He is, but he doesn't have anything to do with it, either.

Me: Don't you two dare lie to me.

Chen: Honest! We didn't do anything to him. Well...except for his bathroom door...that Chanyeol broke.

Me: Xiao Yi and Jungkook will be in Paris in 2 hours, nobody would pick them up and show them around. Much more to bring them to their hotel.

Chen: I know, hyung. Me and Chanyeol were actually thinking of ways to help Baek and arrange something for Xiao Yi and Jungkook. We've tried to contact Suho and Lay hyung but we haven't got any response from them yet.

Me: Suho would be busy and Lay probably still in school, too.

Chen: We haven't called Lu ge or Kris ge yet, I thought Suho and Lay hyung are the ones nearest Baek at the moment, that they can think of ways to help.

Me: You better be telling me the truth, otherwise, papa will know and you know what will happen.

Chen: HYUNG! Honesttttttttt!

Me: Okay. I'll call you back as soon as I get updates.

 

After the phonecall with Chen, I made my way upstairs. My room was downstairs, but I wanted to ask Kai and Sehun what they knew about the situation. I didn't have to knock on their doors, because as soon as I stepped on the landing, they were walking towards the stairs. They looked surprised to see me walking towards them.

Kai: Hyung, what's up?

Sehun: Did you know about Baek...?

Me: That's why I'm here. I wanna know if you two have something to do with it.

Sehun: What?

Kai: Ah...

Me: Don't lie to me Jongin.

Kai: Wait. What?

Sehun: Hyung, we didn't do anything.

Me: Chen and Chanyeol said the same thing.

Sehun: Maybe they were lying.

Me: Chen said he wasn't.

Kai: You know he is the prankster.

Me: I'm pretty sure it's one of you, guys.

Sehun: Me? 

Me: No, I'm not sure. But it's one of you...Chen...Chanyeol...Kai...Sehun....

Kai: How about Tao and Kyung-

Me: Papa is there. I doubt they'd do something like this when papa is there.

Kai: They could have done it before papa arrived. They also knew that Baek was tasked to chaperone Xiao Yi.

Me: You do know this is serious and important, right?

Kai/Sehun: Right.

Me: Your sister is in Paris with Jungkook who doesn't know anything about the city that much. Those two would be in trouble if they got lost. Papa would kill us all if he knew that Baekhyun is lost in Zurich as well.

 

I felt defeated. Kai and Sehun started walking past me and down the stairs. I followed them down. We went to sit at the window seats near the dining area. It was almost time for dinner. We were silent the whole time until Kris walked in and raised both eyebrows at us. He placed his phone on top of the dining table and sat down there. We guessed he knew what was going on, for he asked if we already thought of a plan to help Baek get out of this one. I didn't have a plan yet, but had an idea on the excuse he could give papa why he was in Zurich when he was supposed to be back in Paris. Kris just nodded at that and proceeded to talk about how careless Baek had been not checking his ticket to make sure that he was on his way to Paris and not Zurich. 

 

One hour after, Luhan arrived home, just in time for dinner. It was a little late from the usual dinner time, but since it was only us boys, we didn't mind. Luhan didn't look worried at all. He probably hasn't read Baek's message yet and oblivious of the fact that Xiao Yi was alone with Jungkook. We were already seated at the dining table when he walked in. I felt it was my responsiblity to tell him, so I did.

Me: Did you know that Baekhyun is in Zurich?

Luhan: Yes.

Me: Xiao Yi and Jungkook are in Paris, alone. No chaperone.

Luhan: Yeah, I know that.

Me: And you're not even concerned?

Luhan: Nope.

Me: Luhan?

Kris: Something tells me that you know something about it.

Luhan: Know what?

Kris: Why Baek is in Zurich.

Luhan: Ah..

Me: Wu Zun will kill us if he knew that Baekhyun is lost in Zurich AND Xiao Yi is soon to be lost in Paris with Jungkook!

Luhan: Relax.

Me: What the-?

Luhan: I have already called the Shangri-La Paris to send a shuttle service and pick up Xiao Yi and Jungkook to the hotel. 

Me: Okay. What about Baekhyun?

Luhan: He's going to be staying at the Dolder Grand. One of the finest in Zurich.

Me: Luhan, tell me the truth juseyo.

 

It was obvious. Luhan was the culprit. But how and why? I drummed my fingers on the table. Kris, Kai and Sehun stopped eating as well and stared at Luhan. Luhan chewed on his food calmly and drank his juice before he spoke again.

Luhan: Guys, everything is under control. Baekhyun will be fine. Papa won't know anything, unless one of you tells him. I'll call Baekhyun after dinner.

Me: Why? I mean, why did you do this?

Luhan: I think it's about time that we give our little sister the freedom she needs. Let's trust her in this. I know it's hard, but let's give her this chance. I've actually been thinking a lot about this and finally decided to plan something. Papa was the one who tasked me to arrange for Baek's return to Paris trip from Marseilles. Baek was busy with his project that he trusted me to arrange everything for him. I booked him a train ticket to Zurich and a 3-day stay at the Dolder Grand. Yes, I paid for it. One of the sacrifices I had to do just to make my plan work.

Kris: What plan? You're scaring me Mulan.

Luhan: Orz. 

Kris: Scary..ooohh..

Luhan: Shut up, Li Shang. Don't you see? Papa and Mama's situation and our situation? Papa was happy with your mom, Li Shang, remember? But Grandpa Wu decided to marry papa to mama because of family traditions. Look what happened? Xiumin was conceived before all of us, and nobody knew except papa and Xiumin's mom. Then I was conceived, and then you...Well, you know the rest. I was thinking that if we let Xiao Yi marry someone she's not close to or someone she hasn't known for a while, it's going to happen to her like what happened to mama.

Me: But Jungkook is from a respectable family.

Luhan: I know that. Papa is from a respectable family, too. But I think he rebeled at the fact that papa decided for him whom he should marry. Your mom, Kris', Kai's mom, Chen, Chanyeol, Kyungie, Lay's mom were on the losing end because of papa's behavior. Now, if we give Jungkook and Xiao Yi a chance to get to know each other better...alone..then, we can be sure that our sister will be well-taken care of and not cheated on.

Me: Makes sense to me. But still...alone in Paris?

Kris: It's just a few days. But I'm still not okay about it.

Sehun: Better than locking them inside a room. Who knows what they will do?

Kris: Shut up with that, Sehun. You're making me imagine things.

Me: I'm still worried, Lu.

Luhan: Let's think of it this way, we are doing Xiao Yi a favor. I've seen how she really feels for Jungkook. And we can't deny the fact that Jungkook is likewise enamored of her as she is of him. Let's trust them.

Me: It's hard to do that, but you have a point. I don't want my sister to end up like my mom. I mean, my mom is okay now, but the fact that she didn't get the chance to be with papa is kinda sad.

Kris: I'm gonna check up on them every day.

Luhan: It's just for 3 days, Li Shang. Papa and Mama will be in Paris the day of the ball. They will be with them until they return to Beijing.

Me: You thought of this well, didn't you?

Luhan: Yes, I did.

Me: And if it backfires, no one to blame but you.

Luhan: Yes, but I'm positive it won't backfire.

Me: And how are you going to solve the part where Baekhyun got to Zurich? We know that once Wu Zun arrives in Paris, he'd assume Baek is with Xiao Yi and Jungkook.

Luhan: You know papa will call Baek even before he leaves for London. I've thought about that. Baek would tell him that his project was extended at the last hour and that I, Luhan, was informed and arranged everything else.

Me: You're confident that everything will go smoothly as you planned it, right?

Luhan: Right.

Kris: Shouldn't we be going to Paris to substitute for Baek?

Luhan: Kris...

Kris: Okay, okay. I was just thinking out of the box.

Luhan: Let's give Xiao Yi a chance. It's not like she's forced to marry Jungkook. We all know they like each other. We can at least give them that chance to let them know each other better without our hawk eyes.

Kris: Fine.

 

I could only sigh and hope that Luhan's plan was seamless.

 


 

BAEKHYUN

 

I felt like I was going to die when I stepped out the train and seeing a big sign up on the train station board. 

Welcome to Zürich / Willkommen in Zürich / チューリッヒへようこそ

And a few more signs I couldn't understand or read. I only knew simple French words and phrases to get me by Paris, but for the life of me, I didn't know any Swiss-German words. I hoped the people here could understand English. I knew a few words and phrases, nothing more. I looked for a seat before I went on my way to ask the locals. I had to tell everyone who mattered where I was and that I didn't know why I was here. I took out my phone and was thankful that I was able to connect to the wi-fi at the station. I sent a group message to my brothers (and sister), the Kims and Mins. I had to include the Min brothers, since Yoongi and Taehyung were in Italy. They probably knew German and probably had been in Zurich at one point in their life.

I received a call from Yoongi telling me that he hasn't been in Zurich yet, but he was studying German as one of the language studies in his curriculum. I was glad to have someone who could teach me the right words to say in a place that was unfamiliar. I got up from my seat and heaved my rather large backpack on my shoulder. I usually use this backpack when I travel light. I refuse to drag around a suitcase when I travel for just 3 or 5 days. I started walking towards the ticketing office, ready to ask my questions that Yoongi typed for me. Then I saw a guy with a placard bearing my name both in Hangul and Chinese.

오백현 / 吴伯贤

I know. It said "Bo Xian" in Chinese, but papa said it's the one meaning "white" which is "Bai or 白." Many people seem to always write it incorrectly, so I didn't mind at all. Anyway, I had to stop walking abruptly, because I wasn't expecting to see my name. Someone who was walking behind bumped into me and I had to apologize. I was glad the man didn't get mad or anything. I slowly walked toward the guy with the placard bearing my name.

 

Me: Hi

Him: Hello?

Me: I'm Baixian.

I wasn't sure which name they knew, Baekhyun or Baixian.

 

Him: Oh, hello. Mr. Wu. I'm Sergei, and I will be your driver for the rest of your stay, sir.

Me: Hello, Ser-jei...

His English sounded good, but weird in a way. His pronounciation of "R's" were prominent. I hesitated to laugh. I wasn't good in English, so I didn't have the right to laugh.

 

Me: Do you know where I'm supposed to go?

Sergei: Yes, sir.

Me: It's a 5 or 6 hour ride to Paris, you know. Can you do it?

Sergei: Oh, no sir. I'm supposed to drive you to the Dolder Grand. Not Paris.

Me: What?

Sergei: I'm sorry sir. I'm a hired staff driver at the Dolder Grand, and a reservation was made for you since a few days ago.

Me: Reservation? Who did?

Sergei: It's in your name, sir.

Me: Yes, but who made the reservation?

Sergei: I don't know, sir. This kind of information is not given to us, sir.

Me: Ahhh...so, I should just go with you and..you'll bring me to the hotel?

Sergei: Yes, sir.

 

I wasn't bought, by the way. I had my doubts. I was in a foreign country that I didn't know. I had to call Yoongi again. None of my brothers seemed to have any idea on how I should go about. I received a message from Xiumin hyung telling me to stay where I was, since he and Kris hyung were still thinking of ways to get me out of here. Chen and Chanyeol had sent me a message saying Xiumin hyung thought they were the ones who pranked me. Honestly, I thought they did. But booking a room at the Dolder Grand wouldn't be something that the two would do. They would have to spend money for the reservation and Chen was not so generous like that. How much more Chanyeol. Tao just sent me a series of laughing smiley icons. The brat was laughing at my demise. Kyungie sent me a short message, telling me to purchase another ticket back to Paris. His was the soundest advice I got from the boys who replied. I was about to do that when my phone rang. It was Lu ge.

 

Me: Lu ge. I'm lost.

Luhan: No, you're not. Listen.

Me: Okay?

Luhan: Staff from the Dolder Grand would be picking you up any minute now, I booked a 3-day stay for you at that hotel. I paid for it, Baixian. All you have to do is be on your best behavior while you're there. Don't do anything drastically extreme.

Me: Why did you do this to me, gege?

Luhan: Just enjoy your vacation, Baixian. If papa calls you, tell him there was a last minute change in your schedule, so you couldn't go to Paris. I'm gonna tell him I arranged everything for Xiao Yi and Jungkook.

Me: Lu ge. You don't love me, do you?

Luhan: Aish. Shut up. I'm doing this for Xiao Yi and the rest of the family.

Me: What? Why? Have you sold your sister to Jungkook? Why Lu ge?

Luhan: I haven't sold Xiao Yi, okay. It's a long story. Right now, just relax and enjoy your vacation. And while you're at that, make a journal and document your stay there. It would help our business.

Me: Like what? How?

Luhan: It always pays to observe. Check out the room and the amenities, the services and the like...

Me: Oh, yeah. That'd be cool.

Luhan: Your plane ticket back to Paris will be given to you upon checkout on the 3rd day.

Me: Orz, you really thought about it well.

Luhan: Of course.

Me: What about Xiao Yi? I'm kinda worried.

Luhan: She will be fine. Don't worry about her.

Me: You sure, Lu ge?

Luhan: Yes. No more questions. I'll just tell you all about it later. Your hotel pickup might be there already.

Me: Uh...he's already here, actually. Been here a few minutes ago.

Luhan: Good. Now, enjoy Zurich.

Me: Okay. Papa won't kill me, right?

Luhan: He won't.

Me: Promise?

Luhan: Promise. 

 

And with that, he hung up the phone. I couldn't ask again, and I didn't call him back. Lu ge would get annoyed and would scold me if I called back. I looked at Sergei for a few seconds and he was looking at me, amazed. I was speaking in Chinese to Lu ge, and I bet Sergei was tongue-tied. He just grinned at me when I looked at him. I told him I believed him, and for him to lead the way to the car. I was going to enjoy my stay in Zurich. I hope. But I still couldn't get my mind off Xiao Yi and Jungkook in Paris, alone...together... I typed something on my phone and sent it to Xiao Yi. I just hoped she would read it and understand it.

 


 

YOONGI

 

Baekhyun was in Zurich. Wow. How on earth did he get there? I was planning to go there for a few days after my exams. Taehyung has been bugging me to bring him somewhere in Switzerland. It was only a few hours flight from Milan and I have heard a great deal from my classmates that Zurich was one of the places to go when in Switzerland. That's why I took up German as one of my languae studies. It would help me a lot once I finally get there. Now, my knowledge has been tested. I'm glad I was able to help Baekhyun.

 

On another note, I was sure when Taehyung comes home from school, he'd bug me about Switzerland again. He'd get the next chance to annoy me to death until I give in. I mean, I don't blame him. He's been looking up to me since day one. Yup. Since the day he was born, he'd always look up to me like he'd follow me to wherever I will go. Since the day he started to learn to walk, he had followed me around at home. Since the first day of school, he had wanted to study where I studied. Namu was always the one who wanted to do things on his own, so when appa decided all three of us study at the same school, Namu had done things that would distinguish him from me and Taehyung. 

 

"Hyung!"

Oh, he's home.

"Taehyung-ah, waeyo?"

"Xiao Yi gwa Jungkook-i Paris e-issneun."

"Ne. And then?"

"Can we go there too? I'm free starting this weekend until Wednesday..."

"I thought you wanted to go to Switzerland?"

"Ah...ne. But I haven't seen Xiao Yi in a long time."

 

I think I might be purchasing a ticket to Paris soon. I have a week off after exams before I start another month of practical studies. I need a vacation. I wanted Zurich, but with Taehyung wanting to go to Paris, I might have to cancel my Switzerland plans.

*sighs*

 

"Hyung. So, can we go to Paris this weekend?"

"I don't know, Taehyung."

"Waeyo? I wanna take a picture of the Eiffel tower and show it to Aein."

"Aein will understand if we don't go to Paris yet."

"Hyung. I want to speak French too."

"Shut up Taehyung. I'm booking a flight to Zurich."

"What about Xiao Yi and Jungkookie?"

"They're attending a ball. I bet they'll be busy with all the photoshoots and tours."

"Please? I will wash all your clothes and shine your dress shoes."

"Are you bribing me?"

"Yesseu. Hehehe."

"Let me think about it."

"Okay. Where is your clothes hamper? I will wash your clothes now."

"Alright. Fine. We will go to Paris."

"Ahahah! Yesseu! Yesseu! Kamsahamnida."

 

Like I was saying, once Taehyung's mind is set on something, he'll do whatever it takes to get it. Anyway, Paris is not a bad idea for a vacation. I really need to take break before I go on that practical stuff. I'm supposed to take over the Min exporting business once I graduate, so I need to do good in every course subjects I'm taking up. I can check out Paris' export stuff once I get there, and set aside Zurich for a while. I have lots of time to spare in the future. 

 

I walked towards my room in the two-bedroom apartment I shared with Taehyung. Appa arranged our living quarters since I arrived in Italy to start my university studies. Taehyung wanted to study here as well, so appa looked for a two-bedroom apartment for us. Namu, as usual, wanted somewhere different, so he stayed in Beijing. Anyway, I picked up my clothes hamper and carried it outside. Taehyung was already sitting at one of the living room couches and I dumped the hamper on the floor in front of him.

Me: Yah! Wash them well, okay?

Taehyung: Ne, ne...

 

He was smiling ear to ear. I smirked and went to my room, plopped on the bed and stretched out. I needed to sleep.

 



 

Now, we know how Baekhyun got to Zurich. Now, we also know that Yoongi and Taehyung are back in the scene. Some of you missed them, and so did I, so here they are again. I hope you liked this chapter. It's sort of my belated birthday ode to Suga. ^_^ 

吴爱你,我爱你!

감사합니다 ♡JungYi♡