Paris: Day 1

Two Melodies

 

 

I received a message from Lu ge while Jungkook and I waited at the coffee shop for Baekhyun. Lu ge said Baek won't be able to make it to the airport since he was in Zurich. I already knew that. Anyway, what I didn't know was that Lu ge had arranged a pickup staff for us from the hotel. We only had to go to the lobby and look for the hotel staff. I stood up and wung my backpack on my shoulder. I motioned to Jungkook. He looked at me and stood up as well. I told him what Lu ge sent in the message. He started pushing the luggage cart and walked ahead of me, telling me to stay close. I followed him.


We reached the lobby and my neck craned for the Shangri-La staff around us. Jungkook was a head taller, so he could see better than me. He pointed ahead and told me that he found the person we were looking for. We headed towards that direction and saw the staff. We greeted the staff and he bowed to greet us as well. He led us to the exit, pushing the cart in Jungkook's stead. At the car, Jungkook opened the backseat door for me before he helped the staff and driver with our luggage. Then he slid in beside me from the other side. The hotel staff sat on the passenger seat in front and the driver checked his rear view mirror before he backed the car out of the driveway and drove off. 

 

We arrived at the hotel and I looked around the place. It reminded me of London during Christmas. The place was already decorated with Christmas ts and there was already a slight snowfall outside. My door opened and I realized it was Jungkook who opened it for me. I got out of the car and pulled my backpack from the car seat. Without saying anything, Jungkook grabbed my hand and held it firmly, then he led me toward the hotel lobby. The hotel staff walked ahead of us and gestured to a bellhop to help carry our luggage. We were led to the concierge to confirm our reservation. The lady at the front desk smiled widely in greeting and spoke in fluent English.

 

Her: Good afternoon, mad'moiselle...m'sieur. How can I help you today?

Jungkook: Hi. I'm Kim Jungkook and this is Wu Yinzi. I  believe we have a reservation? Complimentary for the Les Bal charity ball?

Her: Oh, yes. Welcome to Paris. Let me check the list of the complimentary rooms for the attendees. 

Me: Merci.

Her: De rien.

 

I smiled at her. I only knew a few words in French, thanks to Taeyong. He was fluent in French and during my three years in London, he taught me some basic French. But I wasn't confident enough to use them in a whole sentence, afraid I might mispronounce something and say something incorrect. Jungkook's hand was still holding mine and he seemed oblivious to that fact. He was looking around and silently appreciating the large Christmas tree in the middle of the hall. The lady at the front desk looked up from her computer screen and smiled.

 

Her: This is the busiest time of the year and we are fully booked. It's good that the organizers of the ball was able to make reservations for their attendees before every room was booked. The Crillon hotel is actually undergoing renovations and not everyone can be accomodated there.

Me: Oh, is that so? Does that mean the ball will be held here, too?

Her: Yes. It's a last minute change. I doubt they were able to send out the change of venue to all attendees, but the hotel management has briefed us to orient the attendees who are biletted here.

Me: Wow, thank you very much. I don't know what would I have done if I arrived on the day of the ball and walk in an empty Crillon hotel.

Her: Ah, that would be tragic, mad'moiselle. But we are here to be of service and help inform you.

Me: And I'm glad about that.

Her: Anyway...about your room assignment...here you are...

 

She handed me a keycard. I hesitated to tug on my hand that Jungkook was holding, so I reached out with my free hand. I looked at the keycard and smiled to thank her. Then I froze.

Wait.

Just one keycard?

I tugged at Jungkook's hand. He was woken up from his dreamlike stance watching the people coming and going the hotel.

 

Him: Waeyo?

Me: We're sharing a room?

Him: What?

Me: There's only one keycard.

Him: Jinjja? 

Me: Ne.

Him: Waeyo?

Me: I don't know. Ask her.

 

I was shy to ask the lady again. I pushed Jungkook to the front and hid behind him. Jungkook grinned at the lady at the front desk.

 

Him: Hi. I have a question.

Her: Yes, m'sieur?

Him: The reservation, for me and Wu Yinzi...just one room?

Her: Oh...Yes, m'sieur.

Him: Why?

Her: It is what the reservation details sent to us, m'sieur. There were only five rooms available here when the event coordinators made the call to make the reservations. 

Him: Do you know why they chose to make us roommates?

Her: Note on the reservation says that you are Mad'moiselle Wu's cavalier and you are coming to Paris both from Beijing, so it would not be a problem. Or...is it?

Him: Ahh...But...there are two beds?

Her: Certainly, m'sieur.

Him: Ah...it's okay, I guess.

 

I raised an eyebrow and smirked behind Jungkook.

It most certainly is not okay! I'm not going to sleep in the same room with you!

Jungkook bowed and thanked the lady, then he turned around and caught me making a face at him. He just smirked and took the keycard from my hand.

 

Him: Gimme that. Let's go.

Me: What?

 

But instead of replying, he grabbed my arm with his other hand and started walking toward the elevators. The bellhop asked the concierge which room was assigned to us and walked ahead. We followed him to the elevators. Jungkook let go of my arm but kept the keycard in his pocket. He was smirking and chuckling at the same time as we rode the elevator to our floor. When we reached the floor, the bellhop pushed the luggage cart forward and told us to follow him.

 

He stopped in front of a door and told Jungkook to swipe the keycard to unlock the door. Jungkook did just that and the door clicked open. The bellhop rolled the luggage cart inside and unloaded it carefully. Jungkook was quick to pull out a ready tip from his pocket. The bellhop thanked him and went on his way, closing the door after him.

 

Once inside, alone, I narrowed my eyes at Jungkook. He took a step back and raised an eyebrow.

Him: What?

Me: You should find another hotel and stay there, you know.

Him: I doubt I can find one at this time. Didn't you hear what the lady said? It's the busiest time of the year, almost Christmas, and full booked rooms.

Me: I'm sure there are other hotels that aren't fully booked.

Him: Are you crazy? I'm not gonna go out in the cold to look for a hotel.

Me: There's a phone...

 

I pointed to a wall-mounted phone by the mini-bar. Jungkook just snorted and hauled his luggage toward one of the twin beds and sat down. He ped his luggage and started pulling out some of his stuff and dumping it on the bed. There was a nightstand in between the beds and there was another phone on it. I made a face and sighed.

 

Alright. I might as well just get used to him being in the same room as me. Actually, I don't want him to look for another hotel and stay there and leave me alone here.

 

I sat down on the other bed and looked around the room. As soon as you entered the room, to the right was a coat closet and next to it was a walk-in closet and the door to the bathroom. To the left of the entrance door was an ornate mirror and beside it, opposite the bathroom door, was a mini-bar, a fridge and some shelving. In the middle of the room was the sitting area. Two armchairs and a round table was situated there. A media shelf was built in along one side of the room, facing the beds. The two twin beds was on the farthest side of the room, near the French windows that led to a balcony. The drapes were drawn at the time we entered the room, so I stood up and went to the windows to open them. I was amazed at our view. We had a nice view of the Eiffel tower from our balcony. I walked out the balcony and stared at the tower. Even if it was cold, because of the winter air, I didn't mind it. My gaze was fixed at the tower.

 

"Looks nice."

I was startled and turned my head around, but Jungkook was already standing beside me.

Me: Yeah, it's really beautiful.

Him: Wanna go there?

Me: Sure. We have today and tomorrow to do whatever, right?

Him: I think so.

Me: The magazine photoshoot won't be until day after tomorrow. I'd really like to go there and see it up close.

Him: Let's go tomorrow?

Me: Sure. 

 

He walked back inside the room and I tilted my head. 

What's his problem?

I followed him and saw him sitting on the bed, dialling a number from the hotel phone on the night stand. And that's when I noticed a bouquet of red roses on the table, on my bedside. I smiled and picked it up.

Compliments of the hotel. How pretty!

I heard Jungkook struggling with his English, talking to someone from the concierge about arranging a tour for tomorrow. I chuckled and pretended not to hear him, smelling the flowers.

 


 

I had finally stored my luggage in the closet and changed to more comfortable clothing. A plain white t-shirt and cut-off jeans. Yeah, I didn't plan on going out for a bit and I wanted to rest after a long flight. I had slid inside the covers of my bed and told Jungkook to minimize his noise. He was playing with his virtual game goggles and he was really noisy as he was truly immersed in his game. He had also changed into a plain tee and cargo shorts.

 

He seemed not to have heard me, though. He was just lying down on his bed and playing noisily. I watched him reach both arms out, as if he was chasing someone and getting a hold of that person. He looked stupid. Hahaha. I think I laughed out louder than normal, because he suddenly took off the goggles and looked at me. He sat up and smirked at me. I pretended not to notice, and closed my eyes.

 

Him: What are you laughing at?

Me: Nothing.

Him: I heard you laughing like it was part of the game.

Me: I wasn't. Maybe it was just part of the sound effects of your game?

Him: I doubt it.

Me: What are you playing, anyway?

Him: Why? Are you up to the challenge?

Me: I think so.

 

He swung his legs forward and sat up straight on the bed, facing me. I decided to postpone my nap. I sat up as well, facing him. He handed me the virtual goggles and I took it.

 

Him: You ever played it before?

Me: Nope. 

Him: Ah, you might want to get used to how it works before we do the game challenge. 

 

He took the goggles again and tweaked some button settings before handing it back to me. 

 

Him: Here. It's some basic virtual world setting. Get used to it first, then once you get the feel, let me know, so we can duel. Hahah.

Me: Okay. I'm gonna beat you, you know.

Him: Keep telling yourself that. If I didn't know you better, you always lose on computer games.

Me: Shut up. You  just wait.

Him: Hmm...kayyyyy

 

I put the goggles on with my eyes closed. I only opened them when my eyes were fully covered.

I was transported into what seemed like a parallel world. I could hear Jungkook's teasing and the virtual brook that was just a few meters away. I stood up. I still felt the carpeted floor of the hotel room, but looking around, the virtual world was covered in green soft grass. Then it started to rain. There was nowhere I could go to take shelter. I didn't mind showering under the virtual rain, then. I held up my palms, as if to catch the raindrops.

 

Me: I can't feel the rain...aishhh!

Him: You're crazy. It's just the virtual world.

Me: I know. But isn't there some kind of program where we can also feel the rain or texture of what we see?

Him: I guess so. Let me see the manual if there's a setting for that. I haven't really read everything on the manual.

 

I could hear him chuckling. I didn't hear his footsteps because of the carpeted floor, but I felt a gust of wind as he passed me by. I could smell his mild cologne as he walked by. I giggled a little, knowing he couldn't see my whole face because of the goggles. I focused on the virtual world where it was still raining. I held my hands up, seeing the raindrops falling on my palms. And then I felt it.

 

Something hard, wet, cold, and dripping fell on my palm. I wasn't expecting that so I screamed and took off the goggles with my other hand. I saw Jungkook running toward the bathroom, laughing. I realized he dropped an ice cube on my palm. I threw the ice cube after him, screaming.

 

Me: JUNGKOOK!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

 

The bathroom door closed and I heard the lock click. Jungkook locked himself inside the bathroom, avoiding my wrath. The ice cube fell on the carpeted floor outside the bathroom door. I walked over to it and shoved the melting ice cube against the door with my bare foot. Yes, I didn't care to walk around barefoot inside the hotel room. I banged on the door.

 

Me: Jungkook! Get out of there! I'm not done with you yet!

Him: You're going to kill me. I'm not going out unless you promise not to kill me.

Me: I won't kill you...but when I get my hands on you, I'm gonna drown you in a tub filled with ice.

Him: Nope. Not coming out, then.

Me: GRRRRR!

Him: You sound cute growling like a lion.

Me: I'm gonna call your appa and tell him you're bullying me.

Him: Hahahah...you won't. I know you can't.

Me: Ugh! Fine. Just get out of there. I'm just going to pinch your cheeks.

Him: Nope.

Me: Fine. Stay there forever.

 

I walked away from the door and went to sit at the stool by the mini bar. I sat facing the bathroom door. After a minute or two, I saw the door open slightly and Jungkook's teasing, grinning face appeared. I hurriedly got off the stool and tried to push the door open, but Jungkook was stronger, he laughed at me and closed the door again. I grumbled and walked back to the mini bar. 

 

An idea struck me. I opened the fridge and took out the ice cube tray. Of course, it was missing an ice cube already. That ice cube has now melted against the bathroom door, staining the carpet. I loosened the cubes and hid the tray behind me. I walked over to the bathroom door and knocked gently.

 

Me: Kookie. Open the door. I'm not gonna harm you anymore.

Him: Yeah right. As if I don't know you have prankster brothers. You share their talent, I bet.

Me: Aniyo. I'm tired. Jet lag. I'm gonna sleep, okay.

 

I pretended to walk away the door. But because you can't hear the footsteps due to the carpet, he didn't know that I only stood beside the door. I heard the lock click open. I gripped on the tray, making sure the cubes didn't fall.

 

This is war, Jungkook. You asked for it.

 

I surprised him bu pushing the door open abruptly and emptying the ice cube tray's contents inside the collar of his t-shirt. He yelped loudly.

 

"What the f-- Xiao Yi!"

 

I almost rolled on the floor, laughing. I leaned on the wall and snorted out my laughter. Until something cold hit my back. Jungkook had gotten hold of the hand held shower-head, spraying water on me. I squealed and got inside the bathroom to take the showerhead from him. He was taller and stronger, so I couldn't get it from him. Some ice cubes were on the floor, slowly melting. I scooped them up and shoved it inside his shirt again. He let go of the shower head and turned off the tap. He was about to shake off the ice cubes from his shirt when the doorbell rang.

 

Both of us froze. My t-shirt was dripping wet from the back and his t-shirt was dripping from the front. His hair got wet from the shower head's spray and the tips of his hair were dripping as well.

 

The doorbell rang again. Jungkook scrambled out the bathroom and went to check on who was calling at that time. I reached my hand behind my shirt and started twisting it to drain the water. Some of the water fell on the carpeted floor, and some on the bathroom floor. Jungkook slowly opened the door.

 

"Good evening, m'sieur. I'm calling for M'sieur Kim Jungkook and Mad'moiselle Wu Yinzi."

"I'm Jungkook. Yinzi is here..."

"I was sent to give you an invitation to dinner personally, sir."

"Oh? Who is it from?"

"M'sieur Soo Taeyong."

"Oh, he's here?"

"Yes, m'sieur."

 

And I saw him hand an envelope to Jungkook. He bowed after Jungkook took the invitation card. Jungkook thanked him and just before he turned around to walk away, an ice cube fell on the floor from Jungkook's shirt. It fell with a soft thud, and Jungkook's foot automatically stepped over it. But I guessed the man saw it. His eyebrows raised slowly as his eyes wandered down to Jungkook's foot. The carpet was stained with the melting ice cube. Jungkook thanked the man and almost slammed the door in his face. As soon as the door clicked shut, he removed his foot off the ice cube and whined.

 

"Dammit! Effing cold!"

 

And we suddenly burst into fits of laughter.

 



 

 Taeyong in the picture, but JungYi didn't seem bothered. And they shouldn't be. ^^

吴爱你,我爱你!

감사합니다 ♡JungYi♡