He's Back from the Holidays

Two Melodies

 

 

Nobody was looking forward to the new year, what with papa scheduled to fly back to Phuket. It wasn't really the first time he had to leave home early after the holidays, but it has been a while since he had to go on a business trip on new year's day. Baek had submitted his application for a non-classroom research and had been in closed-door meetings with papa and Kris about the Phuket construction project. Luhan and Xiumin had their own meetings with Kai and Sehun at Fusion. It was closed until the grand opening and the four of them were planning the event. Lay had retreated to his room to continue writing his musical pieces for his upcoming recital. Suho had stayed in the upstairs study room for the rest of the week, reviewing his books. The Min's pedia clinic was closed for the holidays since their family was in Korea to celebrate it. Chen, Chanyeol, and Tao spent the week in the media room playing whatever game they received for Christmas. Kris ge was extra nice and generous, that he bought them a set of new games. Kyungie spent the week bringing his books to Fusion and brewing his own coffee while reading. Xiumin and Luhan found his concoctions really good that they had him write down the steps and ingredients used. Papa and mama had to attend to parties that papa's colleagues threw. I was left to my own devices. I was bored and I couldn't go out with my friends because they were either out of the country for the holidays, or they were spending quality time with their families. 

I was glad when Jungkook called in the middle of the week. He narrated how his Christmas was and what his family had been doing the past few days. He said he met Taehyung once at a road show in Seoul. He was with his Jin hyung passing by and got curious, then they saw Taehyung with Namjoon. The two were also just passing by on they way to their hotel. The Min family was staying in Seoul for the new year, so they booked a hotel for the week. The Kims were in Seoul for the new year as well, since Mr. Kim had a reunion with some of his high school friends.

Taehyung had told Jungkook his news, but prohibited him to tell me. He said he would just be the one to tell me when he comes back from Korea. I told Jungkook it wasn't fair, but he just laughed at me.

I don't know what came to my mind but I suddenly asked him if there are pretty girls where he's at. He told me yes. Then he added that I shouldn't be insecure because even if there are pretty girls there, the prettiest he has seen would be in Beijing, and he recited my full home address. LOL. I blushed and I bet that he imagined me blushing, because I heard him chuckle and muttered something like "paboya".

Then, I heard Jimin's voice in the background asking him to lower his voice.

"Kookie-ya, lower your voice juseyo. My chicken keeps jumping to its death everytime you breathe a word."

Jungkook said Jimin was playing Chicken Scream on his phone, and started laughing. I heard Jimin sigh in exasperation as his chicken died yet again.

"Aish! You chicken murderer maknae..."

Jungkook told me that they shared a hotel room while in Seoul. Jin and J shared a room as well. They were just back from a bit of going around the city. Then he suddenly sighed and said, "I miss you."

I wasn't ready for that. I managed to grunt, "Uhm asdfghjkl..."

He just chuckled at the other end of the line. "I know you miss me too."

 



Papa left for Phuket in the afternoon of new year's day. Kris and Baek followed a couple of days later. The house was a little quieter than usual after that. Chen and Chanyeol had to go back to Japan early as well, since their classes resumed early. Mama, Suho and Lay were leaving with Kyungie and Tao the next week, and will stay with them for a couple of days before heading back to London.

Taehyung and his family arrived two days after new year. He announced his arrival by showing up outside our gate with a be-ribboned box. He had parked his car on the side and was wearing a big smile as I opened the gate. I led him inside the house.

Tae: Hi!
Me: Taetae!
Tae: Are you excited for my news?
Me: Of course. But what is that box?
Tae: Oh. It's a cake eomma made for you. She said it's a belated Christmas gift for your family.
Me: How sweet. Thank you. Tell your eomma thanks.
Tae: No biggie.

I continued to lead him to the kitchen and placed the cake box on the counter. Taehyung sat down on one of the bar stools. He was still grinning. Sehun and Kai walked in, probably hearing Tae's voice. When they saw him, they gave him a high five and fist bump. The two also sat down with us. Sehun pulled the cake box and opened it.

Sehun: Hmmmm...yummy.
Tae: Eomma baked it, gift for your family.
Kai: Wow! Lemme taste.

He got up and searched the drawers for a cake knife. Sehun followed suit to get some plates. 

Sehun: No need for forks. My fingers are more than capable of carrying a slice of cake.
Kai: Ah...yes. How big of a slice do you want, Sehun?
Sehun: See how my mouth can open up? Ahhhhh....

We all started laughing. And while we were eating cake, Tae started to tell his news.

Tae: So, here's the news. After so many nights of hard work, I'm in the latest Dean's List.
Me: Whoa! Congratulations Tae!
Sehun/Kai: Chukkaeyo!
Tae: But this means I have more nights to spend studying to maintain my grades. With this achievement, I get a monthly allowance from my college department.
Sehun: How much?
Kai: Yeah, how much?
Tae: I don't know yet. I will know when I get back after holiday vacation.
Kai: You should treat us out, you know.
Me: Shush! 
Sehun: How long are you going to stay here before you leave for Italy again?
Tae: Just a couple days more. Yoongi hyung has something to settle with his university. I think he is adding some units to a subject.
Me: Why?
Tae: He likes that subject too much.
Me: Weird.
Tae: I know right.
Me: How's Aein?
Tae: She didn't want to go back. Hahaha!
Kai: Ah, sep-anx.
Tae: She got so attached to Daegu that she didn't want to leave. 
Me: Probably because she met cousins who are her age and she has playmates.
Tae: You're right. We had neighbors with kids her age too.

Tae stayed for a bit, catching up with me and my brothers. He only went home when his mom called and told him he was needed back home. We congratulated him once more and extended our thanks to his mom for the cake. I also added that he tell Aein I said hi. 

 


 


Taehyung had gone back to Italy with his Yoongi hyung when the Kims returned. Chen and Chanyeol were back in Japan, and Kris and Baek were in Phuket with papa. Tao and Kyungie spent one whole afternoon at their house after they arrived. It had been decided that Jin and Jimin woud be on the same flight as Tao and the others back to the U.S. I fought the urge to go with them just to see Jungkook. The family still didn't know we were together.

My heart thumped loudly when I got the news that they were back in Beijing. That meant I was going to see him soon. When Tao and Kyungie returned home that evening, I stayed in my room. I don't know, but I felt shy being in the same room with them, knowing they spent the afternoon with the Kims. I heard laughter from downstairs, that announced the arrival of the two. Tao's squeaky laugh boomed, followed by Kyungie's hearty laugh. I also heard Sehun and Kai's voices. Then I heard a voice that wasn't any of my brothers' and I knew whose voice it belonged to.

Jungkook.

I ducked under my blanket. 

OMG! OMG! OMG! He's here!

I also heard Jimin's voice. Downstairs suddenly sounded like there was a party. Sehun's playlist echoed through the hallway going upstairs. Knowing that there was no Wu Zun to stop the party downstairs, the boys had it on full blast. Mama and Suho had gone to the pedia clinic to help out. Dr. Min had reopened the clinic after the holidays. Lay was upstairs in the media room. He had brought up his electronic keyboard and writing music he would be playing at his recital. I usually heard him play the piano even in the wee hours of the night. My room was just around the corner from the media room, and when my window is open, I could hear whatever was going on in that room, unless they closed the window which was seldom.

Under my blanket, I listened to the noise downstairs. Luhan and Xiumin were at the restaurant, and probably won't be home until during or after dinner.

My phone beeped. It was on top of my night table and I reached for it, reading the message from under the blanket. Jungkook was looking for me. He wondered why he didn't receive any welcome home greeting from me. I wasn't brave to go downstairs. I just sent him a reply welcoming him back home. I imagined him looking up at the stairs waiting for me to go down. I made faces as I stared at my phone. 

I tried to gather courage by standing up and walking out of my room, but instead of down the stairs, my feet started walking toward the media room where Lay was. I turned the doorknob open and stepped inside. Soft piano music greeted me as I entered the room. He never stopped playing, but looked at who opened the door. When he saw me, his lips formed into a smile. Lay gege's dimples appeared on his cheeks and I suddenly wanted to squeeze his cheeks. I stifled a laugh. He stopped playing.

Lay: Meimei.
Me: Hi. Am I bothering you?
Lay: Ah, no. I'm just listening to the last revision I made to this piece. The melody seemed off, so I changed a few notes.
Me: It sounds really nice, though.
Lay: Ganxie ni. Hahah! You're too nice, Xiao Yi-ah.
Me: I'm not saying it because I'm your sister. It really does sound nice.
Lay: Hmm...
Me: Gege, really. I can hear you play your music every night and I like them. 
Lay: Zhen de ma?
Me: Dui-ah.
Lay: I have three more pieces to make before I can finally prepare for the recital proper. If you think this one sounds good already, then I think I'm done with this and I can proceed with the last three. Right?
Me: Right. It really does sound good. It's good enough to be played at a piano concert, actually.
Lay: Do you need me to buy you something?
Me: Ugh! Gege...
Lay: *chuckles* Kidding.
Me: *snorts*
Lay: Hey!
Me: Don't tell papa.
Lay: I won't. Just stop snorting. You're a girl.
Me: Can't promise.

I laughed and made my way out the door. I excused myself, telling him that I shouldn't bother him anymore so he can finish all his piano pieces, that way he can rest. He just smiled at me and gestured for me to close the door after me.

I went down from the stairs near the media room. I was thinking the boys were in the formal living room, but when I reached the ground floor landing, I found them hanging out at the sitting area in the hall of the kitchen area.

Jimin: Hey! Xiao Yi!
Jungkook: He-llo...Xiao Yi.

His smile was almost a smirk when I met his gaze. I almost tripped on the last step.

 


 

Without my brothers, I wouldn't have been able to survive that moment. I used my brothers as diversionary tactics to avoid his gaze. He was able to sit next to me and was subtle about it. He only glanced at me once in a while, and brushed his fingers with mine not too obviously. Kai called pizza delivery and ordered two big boxes of cheese pepperoni.

I didn't excuse myself to escape him because I missed him. I just couldn't show it in front of my brothers. Then the topic focused on Jimin. Everyone in the room knew he had a girlfriend, and that girl was my friend, Yue. Jimin was on the hotseat. Kai was asking things like how was it having a long-distance relationship and if they ever fight because of that. My cheeks started to burn when Jimin glanced at me and shifted his eyes to Jungkook. His smile turned into a mischievous grin.

Jimin: By the way, I know something that you probably don't know.
Kai: What do you mean?
Jimin: Something that..

Jungkook cleared his throat.

Kai: Do you know something too?
Jungkook: Me? Aniyo.
Jimin: Ahemm..

I shot Jimin a death glare. I wanted to zip his mouth and push him out the door. I saw him grinning widely as Jungkook elbowed him. Kai sensed something off and kept asking Jimin. 

Jimin: Taehyung's on the dean's list at his university.
Kai: Ah, we know already.
Jimin: Jinjja?
Sehun: Yes, he told us before he left for Italy.
Jungkook: Oh, I thought we were about to spill the beans.
Kai: Aniyo.
Jimin: He was too excited to tell us, but asked us not to say anything to anyone because he wanted to tell it himself.
Tao: Now it makes me wanna do good and get in the dean's list too.
Kyungie: How can you make it when you'd rather spend your free time shopping than studying.
Tao: Studying. It's student plus dying. Nah, I'd rather shop 'til I drop.
Sehun: LOL! Same thing though. You drop dead.
Tao: I wasn't asking for your opinion.
Sehun: I didn't say it for your sake.
Jimin: Hold it! Hold it! Dude, we're cool. Okay? Breathe.

 


 

The boys had retreated to the pool area at the back after pizza. They decided to light the fire pit and continue chit-chatting. It was already dark. Luhan had called and said he and Xiumin would be ordering Japanese takeout for dinner. Jimin said it was fine if they were not included in the headcount because he and Jungkook were expected at home for dinner anyway. 

I was left stuffing the empty pizzza boxes into the garbage bins. Jungkook dawdled inside the house as the other boys walked out to the pool area. He excused himself saying he would be helping me clean out the mess and needed to go to the bathroom. 

When the boys had gone out. He smiled widely as he leaned on the kitchen counter, with his hands tapping the countertop. I stood on the other side.

Him: So...did you miss me?
Me: Yes. Did you?
Him: Jinjja? If you missed me, why don't you come near me?
Me: Aish!
Him: Hahahah! You're cute when you're like that.

He reached out a hand and took mine. He chuckled. I wanted to pull away, but he laced his fingers with mine.

Him: I missed you. A lot. Now, I'm okay.

I blushed. He smirked. But his hands felt warm against mine. My heart did a little backflip and I had to look away.

Him: Let's tell them soon.
Me: When?
Him: At the opening. Of Fusion, I mean.
Me: Uhm...
Him: I think it's best to tell them, other than let them believe that we are only agreeing to their plans to merge the family business with our marriage.
Me: Okay.
Him: It's not like they will be against it. You're already old enough to date, well, based on your papa's rules.
Me: You know that's not the actual problem.
Him: Your brothers would understand and would probably like it better if they know that I'm agreeing to marry you not just because of business, but because...I...love you.

My throat suddenly caught a little something and I coughed a little. He laughed. I snorted.

Me: Sorry.
Him: That's not what I wanna hear, though.
Me: What?
Him: *tilting his head* Xiao Yi, naneun neomu neomu saranghaeyo.
Me: Wo ye ai ni, Jungkook...
Him: Oppa...
Me: Huh?
Him: Nothing.

But he was hiding a laugh. He suddeny let go of my hand because we heard voices outside the door that led to the pool area. It was a good thing that I was on the opposite side of the counter table when the door opened and Kai's head poked inside. Jimin's head also poked in.

Kai: Yah! Jungkook, what's taking you long?
Jimin: Talking to your future bride?
Kai: Now is not the time, dude. It's time for some guy-bonding.
Me: He was helping me clean the mess, unlike you...and you (pointing at Jimin).
Jimin: Ahh...the future wife is practicing her housekeeping skills. Hahahah!
Jungkook: Shut up shorty hyung.
Jimin: Yah! You little-
Jungkook: Hyung, aren't you the little one?

I snorted loudly. Jimin looked at me and made a face. I smiled sweetly. He stuck his tongue out.

Jimin: We'll be borrowing your future husband, Xiao Yi-ah. We'll just return him after we are done torturing him.
Kai: Go to your room, Meimei.
Me: I'm not a kid anymore, duh.
Kai: Okay. Just don't follow us.

And with that, they dragged Jungkook out the door and slammed it shut. I heard them laughing out loud as they made their way back to the pool area. I peeked out the window and saw them already huddled around the fire pit. It was a cold January evening and they chose to stay outside and continue their noise. I shook my head in disbelief, but on the other hand, I was also glad that I was able to talk to Jungkook for a bit. 

I decided to go up to my room and wait for when Luhan and Xiumin returns home with dinner. As I walked up the stairs, I heard Lay playing a familiar piano piece. It was from Yiruma. It was "Dream a Little Dream of Me". I reached the top and walked toward the media room. I didn't open it this time. I just stood, leaning on the wall beside the door. In my mind, I was imagining myself dancing with Jungkook. Thoughts of Les Bal creeped in my mind again. That experience would be forever etched on my mind. 

I slowly walked back to my room and snuggled against the pillows. My phone beeped and I absentmindedly took it and read the message.

"Let's meet tomorrow. I have something for you."

I sent a reply. "Okay."

"I'll pick you up at 4PM."

"See you, then."

"Call me oppa. Juseyo."

"Wo bu hui. Naneunhaji anheulgeoya."

"Wae?"

"I'm shy."
 
" *kissy face* "

Damn you.

*scream internally*

 



Another update! 吴爱你们!

Hope you like it! ^^