plot twist

Run A Little Faster

PLOT TWIST 

 


Please read the A/N!

Siwon’s in the attic, going through his old stuff. Initially, he came here to see if he has any more runic stones hidden away somewhere; he ended up finding some ‘memory boxes’, as Saeryun used to call them.

He’s looking down at the photos of him, your father, and Haneul. There’s quite a lot. They had a tradition of taking photos together every time they got rid of something dangerous, so some of them are pretty wild. Like the one where they’re covered in blood because they hunted down some strigoi, or the one with them wearing skirts and dresses (he doesn’t remember what that was about, but it looks like he enjoyed himself).

He also finds old photos of you as a baby, and of your mother, too. There’s a photo of your father holding you up like you’re Simba and your mother holding her head in the background, seemingly done with your father’s antics.

He feels his heart ache, and he shuts his eyes to stop tears from falling out. His whole face contorts with pain.

He takes out his phone and takes a photo of that photograph, then sends it to you. He also makes a mental note to make a copy of it for you and your mom.

He closes the box and stands up, picking it up. A piece of paper falls onto the floor with a soft whoosh; it must’ve been stuck to the bottom of the box. He puts the box away on a shelf and crouches down to see that piece of paper.

It’s a tiny note, and it’s your dad’s – Saeryun’s – writing. It says, meet me on the bridge, 2 am, bring donuts!!!

Siwon chuckles at it. Then he feels a pang of nostalgia.

 

 

 

*

 

 

“Here,” Amber says, pointing at the computer screen. Byul, Baekhyun’s younger sister, is sitting next to her. She looks very serious and focused, and is creasing her nose; she looks super similar to Baek when she does it, and it’s the cutest thing ever. Amber types something into the computer. “If there’s any hidden scripts on a website, this order will make all of them pop up. You gotta remember to add that slash symbol, though.”

Byul nods seriously. Baekhyun chooses that moment to enter the room with food he just made, and he stops short when he sees what Amber and Byul are doing.

“Are you teaching my little sister how to hack?” he gasps mockingly. He sets the food down on the nearest surface and quickly walks over to the girls, just to snatch Byul off the chair and up onto his shoulders. Byul yells in surprise, then starts giggling when Baek loses his balance for a second. “How dare you make a criminal out of her!”

“Are you saying I’m a criminal?” Amber asks, outraged. She turns in her seat so that she can see both of them. Baekhyun starts spinning around with Byul on his back; they’re both laughing. “I’ll have you know that I’m a high-functioning—“

“Sociopath?!” Baekhyun yells.

“IT specialist!” Amber yells back, laughing.

“I’m dizzy!” Byul laughs. Baekhyun starts spinning in the opposite direction and Byul makes a surprised sound.

“Besides, I’m not teaching her how to hack,” Amber adds, shrugging and turning away from them. “I’m showing her how to reveal some internet secrets.”

Just as she finishes talking, Byul’s head appears right next to her face. Amber actually startles. Baekhyun is holding the girl upside-down, her legs hung across his shoulder, and she’s laughing. Amber starts peppering her face with tiny kisses, and Byul giggles.

“Stop it! Stop it!” she pleads, pushing Amber’s face away. Baekhyun doesn’t make it easier for her, though, nor does Amber. “I give up!”

Baekhyun places a hand under her back and pulls her up, then throws her up a little so that she lands in his arms bridal style. Once he’s done, he looks at her proudly.

“Good choice, milady,” he praises. “I, too, wouldn’t want to die at the hands of the kissing monster.”

“As if,” Amber snorts.

“Really?” Byul asks, confused. She wiggles around in Baekhyun’s arms, until her arms are wrapped around his neck, and then she starts kissing him all over his cheek and neck, and wherever she reaches. Baekhyun, of course, pretends that each kiss is taking more life away from him, and at the end, he collapses onto the floor, begging for Byul to stop.

“Don’t stop, Byul,” Amber tells her, stopping next to Baekhyun and looking down at him with a huge grin. “He deserves all the love!”

“Nooo!”

 

 

*

 

 

 

Myungsoo’s squinting at Seon. She’s munching on some potato chips and jumping through TV channels, and she can’t decide what to watch.

“Seon,” Myungsoo says, getting her attention.

“Yeah?” she asks. She looks at him, still clicking away on a remote. She looks down at her chips. “Oh, sorry,” she says. She slides the package closer to Myungsoo. “Go ahead.”

“Not that,” Myungsoo clicks his tongue. “Why don’t you ask Yixing out?”

Seon chokes on the chips, but she never stops surfing through the channels.

“Why don’t you ask Yixing out?” she jokes, laughing at the end.

“Seon,” Myungsoo grumbles. “Come on.”

His tone makes her glance up. Myungsoo is looking at her with ease, pleadingly.

“He’s waiting for your move,” he says, his voice calm. “He knows how you…operate. He’s not going to ask you out, not if he’s not one hundred percent sure that you’d be willing to try—“

“Maybe I don’t want to try,” Seon interrupts harshly. Myungsoo tilts his head back in annoyance. “Stop forcing me to—“

“I’m not forcing you, I’m giving you advice,” Myungsoo replies. “Because you’re being dumb and stubborn,” he adds, standing up. Seon gives him a surprised once-over.

“Where are you going?” she asks.

“You just annoyed me, so home,” Myungsoo replies with a sigh. Seon’s face does that stupid thing where she looks pissed and sad at the same time; Myungsoo sighs again, louder this time. “I’m just saying. I know he’s on your mind. You’re absolutely unbearable when you have a crush on someone, and Yixing is, like, the ultimate. I’m getting real tired, you know.”

“Jealous?”

Myungsoo rolls his eyes, but he still smiles a little at that remark.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

You feel your tattoo warm up, and you look up at your door. You swipe your finger in the air and it opens, revealing Sehun outside your room. He looks like he was about to knock.

“Dope,” he comments. You feel some unpleasant electricity run down your forearm after using telekinesis. “Which one?” Sehun asks, taking two shirts off his shoulder and then presenting them to you one after another. “I’ll be wearing these jeans,” he adds, looking down at his very skinny jeans with holes on the knees.

“Not good for running,” you say, giving him a once over. Sehun frowns, looks down at his legs, then up at you.

“I’m not planning on running away from monsters today, Dal,” he deadpans. “Nor chase criminals.”

“What are you planning on?” you ask flirtatiously. Sehun pretends to gag.

“Don’t give me that,” he pleads. “Which shirt, Dal?”

“The black one,” you decide, nodding at the shirt in his right hand. “Seriously, where’re you going that you have to ask me?”

Sehun puffs out a lot of air, looking away. He pretends to be very interested in your walls. Then, finally, he replies.

“On a date,” he says. You open your mouth widely, spin on your chair and practically jump off of it.

“With Irene?” you gasp, covering your mouth with your palms. You’re giddy with excitement, but you also feel like being dramatic today. Sehun senses that.

“Yes, with Irene,” he admits, taking a step back, trying to retreat out of your room. You grab his hand, and he freezes, knowing that when your eyes are shining mischievously, something not good is happening. “Dal.

“Where are you taking her?” you ask, taking a step closer to him. You’re inches away, and Sehun keeps on leaning back, as if you’re trying to kiss him. Honestly, he feels like you’re about to his soul out.

“Somewhere nice,” he mumbles. “Dal, let go of me.”

“Aww,” you say, pulling him into a sudden hug. He chokes on his own saliva, and you pat him on his back a little forcefully. “Look at you, going on dates. Getting over people.”

“Please don’t bring that up.”

“Sure.”

“I have to iron my shirt. Can you let me go?”

“No.”

“Dal.”

“Just a few seconds longer.”

“Are you in need of a cuddle buddy? Because I saw some ads on craigslist.”

“Oh shut up.”

 

 

*

 

 

“My God,” says Heechul. Changmin looks up at him. They’re in a café, both drinking bubble tea (yes, they are respectable adults), and Heechul is ogling someone with distaste all over his face. “What is she wearing? How could she leave the house wearing that? She must be blind. Or mental.”

“I try not to judge people, so I wouldn’t  know,” Changmin replies, looking down at his phone screen. Heechul mutters something under his breath, and Changmin guesses that it’s not too nice. “You were saying?”

“Nothing,” Heechul replies, taking a sip of his bubble tea. Changmin has no idea how he does it, but somehow he manages to look sassy even when he’s slurping on something. “Hey, look.”

Heechul sounds different than he did a few seconds ago. Changmin recognizes that tone; Heechul uses it when he notices something weird on a case, or in similar situations. So he looks over his shoulder, following Heechul’s gaze, and his eyes widen at the sight.

Maeng is standing by the street lights, waiting for them to turn green so that he can cross.

The weird thing is: he’s holding a teddy bear.

He has his back turned towards them, but he’s looking to the right, which gives Heechul and Changmin a great view of his profile. He’s literally holding a cute little teddy bear, with a ribbon on its neck and all. It looks super fluffy.

“What?” Changmin drawls out, whispering, as if Maeng was able to hear him, even this far. Heechul subtly pulls his phone out and Changmin sees him taking photos of Maeng. “What.

“Come on,” Heechul says quietly, putting his phone away and standing up. Changmin gives him a once over. Heechul, if he wants to, can act like a cat – all quiet and slithery. He’s doing it now, and Changmin is used to Heechul acting like this, but when they’re working a case. It’s weird seeing him do that on their day off.

He stands up and follows Heechul. The light turns green and they watch Maeng cross the street; they do the same, right before it starts blinking red again.

They follow him down the street. Maeng is completely oblivious to it. They keep away and are as careful as they are when they’re spying on someone; it’s actually ridiculous. At some point, Heechul pulls out his phone again and puts it into his ear. Changmin sends him a sideway glance.

“Kris, get down here,” Heechul says to the phone. “Maeng’s acting shady.” He tells Kris where they are and then giggles. “This is gonna be good,” he says.

“Maybe he’s going on a date,” Changmin guesses. “He’s wearing a nice suit. It’s evening.”

“Well, I don’t suppose the teddy bear is for Kai,” Heechul comments. They keep on following the man. He’s not in a hurry. They walk past the main street and head to the park. Maeng even stops on his way through it to stare at some pigeons; he makes small talk with a man who’s feeding them and goes on his way.

“Aw,” Heechul says, sticking his head out from behind a tree. Changmin is next to him, rolling his eyes at his ‘spying skills’. “Look at him being all polite and cute with birds.”

“I hate birds,” Changmin informs him.

“You hate everything,” Heechul says.

Someone walks up to them then. They both look over their shoulders at the same time to see Kris’s grinning face.

“Lover’s spat?” he asks. Changmin and Heechul make disgusted noises in perfect sync, which makes Kris grin even wider. Then he starts sniffing at the air. “Damn, he’s wearing his best cologne,” he notes.

“You’re kidding,” Heechul says, gasping. “God, we better not lose him. I want to see who he’s been secretly dating.”

“I don’t think he’s dating anyone, this must be a first,” Kris tells them. “I’d scent a woman on him.”

“That sounds so disturbing,” Changmin says, cringing.

“Your face is disturbing,” Heechul informs him.

They follow Maeng for the next three minutes. Then they reach a familiar neighborhood, and Kris gets suspicious.

“This is weird,” he says.

“Why?” Heechul and Changmin ask at the same time. Kris, once again, grins at them.

“Are you sure you’re not together?” he asks.

“Oh my God, shut up,” Changmin scolds with a roll of eyes. “Just because you’re gay doesn’t mean everyone else is.”

“How do you know, maybe he’s bi?” Heechul asks, acting all sassy again and making that stupid face of his that makes Changmin absolutely furious. He shoves him to the side like the five-year-old he is, and Heechul laughs like a frog.

“Still gay,” Kris whispers to them. “Holy .”

The three of them stop short.

Maeng approaches a house. He walks up the little stairs, rings the doorbell and then proceeds to freak out internally.

Kris knows that house.

The door opens, and a woman steps out.

Heechul gasps.

“Is that…?”

“Oh. My. God.” Changmin adds.

Your mom steps out of the house. Maeng greets her with a huge smile, and hands her the teddy bear. Your mom blushes. Then they both start stuttering out words.

Kris realizes a bit too late that he hasn’t taken any photos, and looks at Heechul and Changmin to see if maybe one of them has. He’s not let down – Heechul is recording the whole thing.

“We’re never gonna let him forget this,” Kris says.

“Never,” Heechul and Changmin say in unison.

 

 

*

 

 

You’re browsing through instagram when you see that Heechul’s sent you a snap. He rarely uses snapchat, so you go to open it right away.

At first, you’re not sure what you’re looking at. But then you recognize Maeng, and your house, and your—

“Mom?!” you yell, startling Sehun, who’s sitting by his desk, earphones in.

“What?!” he screams, practically tearing them out of his ears.

“My mom!” you yell, shaking the phone at him, even as the video is already over. “My mom. And Ma—Maeng. What. I. What?”

“What?” Sehun frowns. “Oh my God, why is your breathing so harsh?”

“Sehun,” you say, tears in your eyes. “This is not—what is happening?”

“I could ask you the same thing!”

Your phone pings at the same time Sehun’s does. It’s a message on Kris, and he sent it on your pack’s group on Messanger. It says ‘holy dudes dal’s mom is dating maeng!!!!’.

It’s the most interesting thing that happened in weeks, and it’s a complete sensation.

You end up calling your mom mere minutes after that, but of course, she doesn’t pick up, because she’s on a date.

“This is the biggest plot twist I’ve ever seen in real life,” Sehun informs you at some point, watching the same snap you did, because of course, Heechul sent it to freaking everybody. “Say, do you want younger siblings?”

 

 

 


Another pack-centric chapter. Kinda.

So a few people asked me whether or not I'm gonna do another Q&A anytime soon, and I decided to do it today! If you have any questions for anyone from the pack, go ahead and leave them in the comments, and I'll include that in one of the next chapters :) You know the drill.

Btw, because of the whole fake pet thing and everything that was happening in the latest A/N, I forgot to point out that Chanyeol writing an essay while being drunk was actually inspired by a tumblr post I saw. I think some girl actually got drunk and did what Yeol did, only she didn't send the essay XD But now I can't find the freaking post so I'll just show it to you once I stumble upon it again ugh

Love you white chocolate pistachio cookies!