what's the body bag for

Run A Little Faster

WHAT'S THE BODY BAG FOR 

 


 

Hana wants to make a cake, but they're out of flour, which she did not see coming. They - Hana, her brother Haruki, and their bestie Yuuki - always have flour so it comes as a surprise to see it all gone from her cupboard. She knocks on their neighbor's door -  Yejun- and waits for him to open up so she can borrow some, but after half a minute of silence coming from the other side of the wall, she decides he's probably out. She heads upstairs, to Kai's apartment, and knocks. 

He opens the door ten seconds later, eyeing her suspiciously. He's always suspicious of anyone that comes in; Hana thinks it's adorable.

"Hi!" she says cheerfully. "Do you own any flour?" 

"Flour?" Kai asks, smiling a little. He steps to the side. "Come in. I gotta look for it." 

Hana smiles widely, enters his apartment and closes the door behind herself. Kai heads for the kichen and she follows him; he likes his apartment a lot. It's well-lived in and there's photos of him with his friends and family literally everywhere. There's so much stuff lying around it's impossible to turn around without spotting someone's blouse hanging off a lamp or something. 

She hears some scrappy sounds and recognizes Choco's claws hitting the floor. The dog emerges from Kai's bedroom, yapping at her happily, and she crouches down to say hi to him and pet him. She hears some weird sounds from the kitchen, so she motions Choco to go there, and then follows shortly. 

Kai is going through his kitchen stuff, focused on finding flour. He's been doing something on his laptop, she decides when she sees it open on the dinner table. She's usually not one to pry (okay, that's a filthy lie), and she really tries not to peek at the screen, only she totally does. 

Kai has been going through ebay. 

And he's been searching for body bags. 

Hana feels her blood run cold. Kai makes a sudden sound and she looks at him in surprise, afraid that she just got busted, but Kai just turns towards her with a fresh bag of flour in his hand. 

"I knew Dal stashed it somewhere," he says proudly, handing the whole thing to her. Hana is too dumbfounded to react properly; she just takes the thing. "You can have all of it, I'm going shopping today anyways," Kai adds, smiling at her. Hana looks up at him, smiles nervously and curtsies awkwardly.

"Thank you good friend," she says. "Feel free to drop by if you ever need any body parts. I mean—oh my god. Ingredients. Food! Food." 

Kai's face is the perfect embodiment of the question mark then. Even Choco lets out a whine and tilts his ehad to the side at her. 

"Thanks!" she says cheerfully, waves at him, and heads for the door. Kai walks her out. Once she's out of his apartment, he looks down at Choco, who's followed them both all the way to the door. Choco sits down, looks up at Kai and sticks his tongue out.

"Did I do something wrong?" Kai asks him. "I don't think I did. Did I?" 

Choco sneezes.

 

 

 

*

 

 

Woo Kyunghee is out shopping. She's planning on making a really big dinner today since her son is dropping by with a visit. She's looking for the right kind of pasta she needs for one of her dishes when she hears a familar voice. 

"Hey," it says. She turns her head to the left and spots Kai, her neighbor, not so far away from her. "Yeah, I put it back," the boy says to someone. He's talking on the phone, ohh. "Well, where do you think I could've put it?" he asks. He rolls his eyes at the answer he gets on the phone. "With the rest of the knives, Dal, obviously." 

Kyunghee focuses on the pasta again. This is a private conversation, she shouldn't be listening in.

Oh darn it, she really wants to.

She turns her head ever so slightly. If she were a dog, her ears would be perked up. 

"I don't know, I always get silver and iron mixed up," Kai says. Dal - because it's the girl he's talking with - starts scolding him, probably, judging by his face. "Well I'm sorry for not being a weapon freak like you are!" he hisses. That makes Kyunghee gasp. "They all look similar to me! I don't even need themI have my own damn hands to use." 

Hands? To use as a knife? Kyunghee is confused. She grabs two bags of pasta she thinks is best and throws them into her cart. She slowly makes her way down the isle. Kai is holding something in his palm, staring down at it angrily while still listening to Dal ranting to him on the other side of the phone. Kyunghee squints at him. 

"Yes," Kai says, nodding. "Yes. No. Yes? I'm not sure. Okay. Yes. Bye." 

Kyunghee wants to struck a conversation with the boy, but then she sees what he's holding in her palm and her soul almost leaves her body. She looks to the heavens to hold back a comment about Kai's life choices, but no God has such power. 

"That is potato in powder form," she announces loudly. Kai turns to face her, eyes wide and surprised. "Young man, why are you so trusting that you would put your faith in a powdered potato?" she asks like she's speaking to an onion. Honestly, it's not too far off: Kai makes her want to cry.

"Uh," the boy says eloquently. Kyunghee takes the box of powdered potatoes away from him and throws it back onto the shelf, not caring if it's the right spot for it.

"You're eating with us tonight," the woman announces, taking Kai's hand into her own and patting his cheek. Kai is completely frozen in his spot and he's just looking down at her like she's gone mental. "Our son is coming over and there's going to be lots of food and you're invited." 

"I, uh—Uh." 

"Great! Be there at seven. Suit not necessary. It's a casual dinner." She smiles at him, pats his cheek again, and walks away. Kai lets out a quiet 'uh' for the last time.

 

 

 

 

*

 

 

There's a spider in Jughee's shower. It's big, fat, and disgusting, and when Junghee sees it, a full-body scream rips through her entire body. She runs out of her bathroom yelling and crying spasmastically and she's pacing the corridor when she hears someone literally banging at the door to her apartment and calling out her name. She practically throws herself a the door and unlocks it in a span of seconds, tears rolling down her cheeks. Kai - her hot neighbor Kai - is standing on the other side, staring at her in worry. His hair is all over the place, he must've literally ran down here when he heard her scream. 

She bursts out crying and points at her bathroom. "There's a spider in the shower!" she screams. Kai walks past her in a whoosh. Junghee follows him into the bathroom just in time to see him crouching down in the shower and taking the hairy monster into his hands, which makes her cry out in pure terror and disgust. 

"Oh my God, take him away, take him away, please, I beg of you," she cries. She puts her hands over her eyes and cries some more. She hears Kai say something to her about letting the spider out and then she hears him leave the apartment. Her skin is still crawling by the time the boy comes back empty-handed, the spider gone. He smiles at her when she opens the door for him for the second time today. 

"I had a talk with him, he won't bother you again," he jokes, his face carefully gentle. Junghee bursts out crying and Kai ends up patting her on the shoulder awkwardly for the next few minutes, which makes Subin - an old lady that lives across from Junghee - stick her head out of her apartment and glare at them both in suspicion.

 

 

 

*

 

 

Hana, Haruki (Hana's twin brother), Inha and Yuuki are sitting outside the loft building. It's a particularly sunny afternoon and they're feeding pigeons some bread while talking about everything and nothing when they see Kai exit the building with Choco in tow. He's wearing sweatpants and a tank top and he's obviously going out on a run. They watch him in silence as he says something to his dog, smiles, and starts to jog. Choco is trained, so he's right next to Kai the whole time, in the exact same spot next to his right leg and never in front of him. 

"You know what," Hana says in a whisper, interrupting the silence. "Last week I saw Kai browsing through body bags on ebay." 

They all look at her in various states of shock. 

"What the hell do you need a body bag for?" Yuuki asks, voice high-pitched. 

"For a body, obviously," Inha deadpans.

"But why?" Yuuki wonders. "It's not the first time something weird like this has happened. I'm actually not as surprised about this thing as I'm just plain scared! What is he up to? What does he need a body bag for?" 

"Maybe he was buying it for a friend?" Haruki wonders out loud. "Doesn't one of his friends study biology or something?" 

"I'm sure biology students have all the equipment they need to do their biology stuff and don't need their friends to buy it for them," Inha points out. "Remember when they burned and buried that dagger, or something?" 

"Remember the weird dealer guy that came to visit them?" Hana adds. 

"And the restraints," Yuuki mumbles. "He's so weird. His friends are, too." 

"Do you think they're drug dealers or something?" Haruki asks. "Mrs. Subin seems to think they're trained, cold-blooded assassins." 

"Kai could be an assassin. He has the physique," Inha notes. Then her eyes get all cloudy. "Ugh, the physique." 

Yuuki elbows her. "Stop day-dreaming about a taken man." Inha snorts, then laughs. 

"As if I had a chance with Dal around," she says. Then, after a while, "Maybe they're doing some normal stuff and we just always happen to overhear the wrong thing." 

"How can you overhear 'Did you get his blood?' wrong?" Hana asks, incredulous. 

"Maybe they're blood donors," Haruki shrugs. 

A car stops in front of them and a mailman comes out of it. They all recognize him right away; the guy always manages to deliver the mail to the wrong person, every. Single. Time. He walks around his car and pulls a package out of the trunk. He stares at the address on the lid, closes the trunk and heads for their building. 

"Who is it for?" Inha calls out. The mailman spots them, looks down at the package again and reads, "Kim Jongin." 

"Oh, he's out," Haruki says. "Just went jogging. We can sign it though," he says. The mailman doesn't even think about it, he just walks up to them, places the package by their feet and pulls the right form out of his bag for Haruki to sign. The man does and once the mailman is gone, all four of them stand up from their bench and stand aorund the package, forming a circle around it. They all stare down at it. 

"It's a package," Hana concludes. 

"Do you think it's the body bag?" Yuuki wonders, voicing everyone's thoughts. "Or something else?" 

Haruking crouches down to see if there's anything on the bag that could indicate its content, but sees nothing. "I don't know," he says. He looks up at the girls, squinting when the sun blinds him. "Do we unpack it?" 

The thought makes them all shiver and feel excited all of a sudden. 

"We can't," Inha says. "What are you gonna say to him?" 

"We'll just pack it again and give it to him tomorrow, he won't even notice," Haruki says. 

"Unless he gets a delivery notification," Inha tells him. "No, we can't do that. It's his personal business." 

"What are you guys doing?" a voice speaks up behind them. They all jump, Yuuki screams, and they turn to face Yejun. He's carrying groceries. He raises his brows at them all and smirks. "You look hilarious. What's that?" 

"It's a package for Kai," Hana explains quickly. "I saw him choosing body bags on ebay last week!" 

"Holy , seriously?" Yejun gasps out. He places his groceries on the ground and goes to stand with them in the circle, staring down at the suspiciously-looking package hiding secrets. "Let's open it and see!" 

"We can't just open people's personal stuff!" Inha scolds, staring at them all and feeling outraged. "That's the exact thing we shouldn't do!" 

"What's happening?" another voice asks. They raise their heads towards it and see Youngsu, Mrs. Kyunghee's husband, staring down at them from the window. "What is that? Did you find a bomb or something?" 

"In all honesty, Mr. Woo, I wouldn't be surprised," Hana says, nodding seriously at the man. "It's a package for Kai!" 

"Oh!" Youngsu gasps. He turns around in the window and they hear him calling his wife to come and see what's happening. Kyunghee shows up in the window next to him, squeezing in next to him. She peers down at them all wide-eyed. "What is it?" she asks. 

"We think it's a body bag!" Yuuki informs, all excited. 

They hear another window opening then and Mrs. Yi Subin sticks her grey head out of her own window, squinting at them all with suspicion all over her face. 

"I told you they were assassins! They're probably hiding a body in Jongin's apartment!" she decides, a flush visible on her cheeks. "You should put it away before he finds out and kills us all." 

"Nobody is killing anyone, Mrs. Yi," Inha says, rolling her eyes. "He's not an assassin." 

"How do you know?" Yuuki questions, crossing her arms over her chest and quirking a brow at her friend. 

"Seriously?" Inha asks. "Am I the only reasonable one here?" she asks, looking at Haruki for help. 

"Why are you looking at him?" Hana asks, as if hurt that she's not considered the reasonable one here, and snaps her fingers in front of Inha. Inha gets annoyed at that and slaps her hand away. "Rude!" 

"You're all mental," Inha decides, stepping away from the circle. "We can't open it. I'm gonna carry it to Kai's door and put it outside for him to take. You can't go through people's stuff," she says. "It's rude, creepy, and breaks all the personal boundaries. You should all be ashamed of yourself." 

"But Inhaaa," Yuuki drawls, grabbing her hand and squeezing it, making a puppy face as she does it. "Aren't you curious?" 

"Of course I am! That doesn't mean I'm gonna unpack a package that's for Kai!" 

"There's a package for Kai?" 

They all freeze recognizing the voice. They turn to look at Dal, who's standing a few steps away, her face completely blank. A shiver runs down Inha's spine; there's something in the girl's eyes that makes her lose her . Oh no. What if they're both muderers and she just made them hate her? Is she going to die? 

"Kai went jogging," Karuki blurts out. "The mailman came." 

Dal raises her brows questioningly. Her eyes don't change, though. She still looks like a wild cat observing her prey. Silence fills the air. 

"Okay," she says, "why did you want to open it?" 

Everyone gets even more tense than before. Inha feels her heart hammering in her chest. Nobody speaks for the next half a minute because nobody knows what to say.

"Busted," Yejun whispers under his breath. He's the only person that's smiling. 

"Okay," Haruki speaks up all of a sudden. Dal's eyes snap up at him. "Last week Hana saw Kai searching the web for some shady stuff and we were wondering what the body bag was for." 

Dal cranes her neck at him, frowning deeply. "That doesn't make sense." 

"He meant," Hana says, "that I saw Kai looking for a body bag last week and now we're all wondering if this is the said body bag and are really curious as to what he needs the body bag for. Because people don't buy body bags." 

"Yeah!" Yuuki squeals. 

Dal opens to reply, still creasing her brows. Then she her lips, looks down at the package, smiles in confusion, and crouches down next to the thing. Then she starts unpacking it right there, tearing the package and revealing something inside it. 

Everyone holds in their breath when Dal pulls a Rilakumma plushie out of the box. 

She holds it up for everyone to see, then puts it back into the package, and stands up. Then she crosses her arms on her chest and looks at every single one of them very judgingly. "He was probably curious how much body bags cost or something and you just saw him browsing through it," she says. Yuuki lets out a quiet 'oh' sound. Inha doesn't believe that even for a moment. "Are we done here?" 

Yuuki, Haruki and Hana look flustered and ashamed. Inha just stares at Dal and searches for signs of a lie, but the girl is completely unreadable. She doesn't even look angry, even though she sounds a bit annoyed. 

"Sorry," Hana mutters. Dal rolls her eyes with a patient smile, picks up the package, and heads into the apartment, saying 'bye' to them. It gets super awkward once she's gone. 

 

 

 

*

 

 

"I can't believe how dumb you are," Yejun hears Dal saying. He's out on the balcony, staring at the city, and Dal is apparently on the balcony, too, only two stories up. "Is it that hard to close a freaking tab when you hear someone coming in? Especially if you're looking for body bags?" she hisses, a bit quieter this time. Yejun freezes, afraid that if he moves, the girl will stop talking, or that any movement of his will make it harder for him to listen in. "You were lucky you ordered that plushie before ordering the body bags because otherwide, we'd be screwed. They already think we're gangsters!" 

Yejun can't contain himself at that. He opens his mouth widely, bites at his clenched fist, and tries not to breathe. 

"From now on I'm ordering all the stuff," Dal says, long-suffering, to which Kai replies with a grunt. Or at least Yejun thinks it's a grunt. It's a sound of acknowledgement, that's what he thinks it is. It's hard to say with Kai. "That mailman of yours ." 

"I'll take care of that," Kai says, his voice low and...terrifying. Take care of that? Wait, the mailman? 

Yejun runs back into the safety of his apartment and then decides to share the news with his friends. They're totally living next to assassins.

 

 

 

 

 


I know there's a lot of names and people but I hope it's readable XD They're the same people from chapter one so there's that.
Hope you enjoyed s'mores!