past

Run A Little Faster

 

PAST

 


 

August 2008

"I’m okay, mom,” Kai says, rolling his eyes as he heaves a big duffel bag onto his shoulder. “I’m exercising, I’m learning control, I eat five meals a day, you seriously don’t have to worry about me.”

“But you’re so young, baby,” his mom says on the other side of the phone. Kai grunts as he sets the duffel bag down onto the floor. “I’m worried about you. It was a bad idea, this whole thing. You shouldn’t be on your own—“

“It’s better this way,” Kai argues. “Mom, we’ve had this talk. With my alpha powers acting up I was literally a threat for Dad’s wolf. I need to find my own pack. And before you tell me that it’ll be hard because of how I am, let me stop you, because it’s getting seriously mean.”

He can practically hear her pouting on the other line.

“Have you made any friends yet?” she asks.

“Of course,” Kai lies. No, he’s spent the past two weeks in his loft, ordering pizza and watching TV. It’s a good thing he has a big forest outside, at least he can run around a little. “How’s Taemin?”

“Sad that you’re gone,” his mom says with a sigh. “Wanna talk to him?”

“Sure.”

There’s a little bit of rustling on the other side and then Kai hears Taemin breathing down the phone a little.

“Hey,” his brother says. “We miss you!”

“I miss you too,” Kai says with a sigh. “You especially.”

Taemin snorts. “Uh-huh. You’re just hoping I’ll protect your room from the girls when you’re away.”

Kai smiles. “You got me.”

 

 

September 2008

“Here,” Suho says, handing Kai a paper bag. Kai frowns a little and opens it curiously, finding a sandwich and OJ inside.

“Thanks,” he mutters.

Suho smiles at him. He was an omega until that moment; but when Kai smiles back at him, their wolves seem very content all of a sudden, and Kai realizes that—

Suho is not an omega anymore.

Also, Yunji goes to the same school as him now. She likes to visit his forest and practice her magic when she thinks no-one can see. But Kai can see; he always sees her.

 

 

October 2008

“Chanyeol?” Kai sputters.

Chanyeol is standing in front of him, half a dozen bags hanging from his shoulders, his back, and lying by his feet. His older sister is with him and she’s smiling.

Kai feels a weird kind of spark under his skin when he sees the boy’s copper, messy hair. He stretches his hand out as it wanting to do something, maybe shake the other boy’s hand, but he stops mid-motion.

“What are you doing here?” he asks, surprised and curious. Suho chooses that moment to peek from behind Kai’s back and he stares at Chanyeol. Chanyeol stares back, the smile not disappearing from his face.

“Uh,” he starts eloquently. He purses his lips. “Can I stay?”

Kai gapes for a moment. Suho suddenly gets all excited by his side and circles Kai to stand on his other side. “With me? Us. I mean—“

“Can I be a part of your pack? Because man, it’s so boring without you.”

Kai stares some more. Then he nods. Chanyeol high-fives his sister and stumbles into Kai’s loft, carrying all the stuff with him.

He knew Kai is gonna say yes because deep inside they both knew they belong to one pack anyways.

 

 

November 2008

“She’s staring again,” Chanyeol says grudgingly. “She’s creepy.”

“She’s magic,” Kai replies.

“I know, that’s why it’s creepy,” Chanyeol argues.

“I agree,” Suho says. “She is a bit creepy. She doesn’t even try to hide the fact that she’s watching us.”

“That’s because of Chanyeol,” Kai explains, finding himself justifying Yunji’s actions. She doesn’t like to be called Yunji, though, Kai discovered a while ago. She calls herself (and tells everyone else) to call her Dal. Just like her cousin. “She knows that I’m building a pack and she’s wary.”

“Maybe we should talk to her then?” Suho wonders out loud. “Tell her we’re not dangerous.”

Kai hates the thought. He doesn’t want to talk to her; he can’t talk to her. He made a promise, dammit, and everyone is trying so hard to make him break it.

“No,” he says gruffly, shutting his locker with way too much force and glaring at Dal. She jumps a little, flustered; she seems angry that she got scared, and Kai wouldn’t be surprised if that were the case. “We don’t owe her anything.”

“But you said—“

“I said no,” Kai repeats. He glances at Chanyeol and Suho. “We’ll see what she does,” he adds, a bit softer. His betas nod and they head to their next class. Dal is long gone when Kai looks over his shoulder.

 

 

December 2008

“I saw your eyes yesterday.”

It’s the first time Kai hears her voice so clearly. His heart jumps out of his chest and he’s glad that she’s not a werewolf. He turns to face her and everything inside him swirls, warms up and comes to life; his wolf suddenly whines inside him.

His eyes flash red. For him it means that he’s lost control; for Dal it’s a sign of admittance, and a threat, as well.

The bell rings. Kai snaps his eyes at the moving crowd of people, listening into Dal’s heart; it’s beating as fast as a rabbit’s. She’s not used to talking with wolves. She smells like pain and sadness, Kai realizes then.

Dal’s father’s death first anniversary is nearing.

Sae Ryun.

He grabs her by her neck, pinning her to the lockers. He’s careful not to hurt her, not to touch her any more than necessary, and the second her back is flush with the lockers, he lets go of her, leaning close to her ear.

“What?” he hisses. “You scared?”

He waits for a reaction. Her heart is still hammering in her chest, and she takes a big intake of air.

“No,” she says. “But I’d say you are, if you go as far as to throw me around. A wolf scared of a human? That’s new.”

Kai takes a step back. She’s smirking now, looking up at him with new confidence, even if her heart is going crazy and her muscles are tense, ready to bolt.

“You’re no ordinary human,” Kai says, grabbing his backpack and turning on his heel, leaving Dal breathless by his own locker.

 

 

July 2009

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Kai asks.

“For the twelfth time, yes.” Baekhyun grouses.

“This is a big choice. Your whole life is gonna change. You’re gonna have to tell your parents—“

“Kai,” Kyungsoo interrupts. “Do you want to build a pack or not?”

“But I’ve never bitten anyone before,” Kai says, his voice breaking.

“Hey,” Chanyeol says, sitting down next to him with a can of coke. “You’re a real Alpha. You’re strong; it’s in your blood. You don’t need practice. You already treat Kyungsoo and Baek as a part of our pack, don’t you? And they’re gonna be even stronger now. We’re gonna grow stronger. This is only natural.”

“It’s gonna be okay,” Kyungsoo ensures. “We trust you.”

Kai is terrified.

 

 

August 2009

“You’re gonna need me sooner or later,” Dal says.

“We won’t,” Kai hisses through clenched teeth.

“You will.”

“We will not,” he growls, stopping in his track and turning towards you. You barely manage to stop in your fast pace, embracing some kind of a huge, old magic book over your chest protectively. “Stop following me.”

She saves their life three days later.

 

 

September 2009

“Hey,” an unknown voice tells him. He tilts his head a little to look at a boy his age, with nice features and dyed, ash brown hair. “I know this sounds weird but—I saw you carrying Kang’s history textbook around?”

Kai frowns at him. “Yeah?”

“I forgot it from home and my teacher is gonna kill me if I don’t have it on my desk. Do you think I could borrow it? Just for this one hour.”

Kai eyes him. He’s lanky and tall, and he’s not lying. He reaches to his locker to pull the book out.

“Here,” he says.

“Thanks,” the boy says. “I’m Sehun.”

“Kai.”

“Kai?” Sehun laughs. “Isn’t that Japanese?”

“It’s a nickname,” Kai explains. “My real name is Jongin. I still prefer Kai, though.”

“Okay,” Sehun nods. “Nice meeting you Kai. Thanks for the book. I’ll find you in the cafeteria later.”

He finds him in the cafeteria and then he never leaves their table.

 


 

January 2010

“I know what you’re doing,” Dal says, her voice hurt. “But I’m not gonna fall for this. You’re pretending not to need me, pretending to hate me, because you’re scared I’m gonna end up hurt. And you know what? you.”

Quite the vocabulary for a fifteen-year-old girl.

She storms out of the cafeteria and then out of school. Chanyeol lets his head hit the table.

“I hate this,” he says. “And it didn’t work, obviously.”

“Nothing works on her,” Kyungsoo says. “I just feel like a right now.”

“Same here,” Baekhyun sighs. “Sehun is coming.”

“Hey,” Sehun greets, sitting next to Suho. “What did I miss?”

Shutter Island is coming out next month,” Kai tells him.

“What?” Sehun gawks.

“A movie,” Kai says. “With DiCaprio.”

“Oh. Are we going? Where’s Dal?”

 


 

May 2010

“We gotta tell him.”

“It’s not your decision to make.”

God, Kai hates these conversations. Hates when Dal is speaking about herself as part of the pack, hates when she’s being smart and thinks ahead. He hates to feel like a ty Alpha.

“It wouldn’t be wise to tell him,” Kai argues. “Sehun is—“

“He will be in danger if you don’t tell him,” Dal interrupts. God dammit. “Only last week that wendigo went after Kyungsoo because he’s part of your pack. Don’t you think that at some point our enemies will realize who’s the weak link in your pack? They will go after him.”

Or you, Kai thinks bitterly. Only Dal isn’t exactly human, so maybe she has a point.

Kai wants Sehun in his pack. But he also doesn’t. Because giving Sehun the bite would mean the boy would have to fight all the things they fight. And Kai is very sensible for a fifteen-year old.

“You either bite him or you cut ties with him,” she shrugs angrily. “Who knows, maybe it’ll work on him.” She’s so, so bitter, so mad. Teenage angst at its best and Kai has to fight himself not to hug her, tell her that everything is okay, that she has him now, that he won’t let her go—

“I get it,” he says instead, frowning deeply. He shuts the door before Dal can say another word.

 

 


June 2010

“You’re werewolves,” Sehun deadpans. Then he snorts. “Yeah, of course you are. Why am I even surprised, right?”

They watch him intently. He’s nervous, that much they can tell, even without supernatural hearing.

“That’s why your eyes shine, right?” he asks to make sure. “And you grow these ridiculous—sideburns and stuff. And hence the creepy hearing and knowing something’s up with me before I even open my mouth?”

“Yes,” Kai nods.

“All of you?” Sehun gasps out, shocked.

“I’m not,” Dal shrugs.

“Oh,” Sehun says with relief. “That’s—“

“I’m a mage.”

Sehun looks like he’s gonna pass out.

 

 

March 2011

Sehun gets shot. Something like this shouldn’t even happen in such a small town. It’s not a hunter, even; it’s not a magic creature, it’s not a stray lone wolf, it’s nothing mystical, it’s just a guy. And Sehun—Sehun is the bad place bad time kind of guy.

Kai bites him, because otherwise, Sehun will bleed out.

 


 

December 2011

“You can cry,” Suho whispers to Dal. He sits next to her on the couch and hugs her; Dal falls into his arms easily, red from trying not to actually cry. But with Suho’s words, it’s like something inside her snaps. She bursts out sobbing.

Sehun cuddles to her from the other side. Baekhyun somehow squeezes himself behind her back, plastering himself over her hunched shoulders. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol sit by her feet, Chanyeol rubbing calming circles on her knee, Kyungsoo planting his head on her thigh.

Kai brings her some tissues. Their hands brush as he passes it on. There’s warmth around them.

 

 

 


Hi pumpkin breads

So since the majority of you wanted a new Q&A session, it is now open XD So feel free to leave questions in the comment box! Or PM if you're shy to leave it there hahah. This time the Q&A will probably be included in the next chapter, as an A/N, not as a separate chapter :) Also, last chapter's Youngjae was BAP's Youngjae XD

Also. WHAT IS THAT

AND WHY

 

Thanks for reading! Love you!