donuts

Run A Little Faster

DONUTS

 



Maeng is having a bad day.

"Does my bulletproof vest make me fat?" Heechul asks him, looking down at himself and fixing his sleeves while holding a loaded gun. Maeng fights every nerve, every cell in his body, not to smack his subordinate in the face, but it prooves to be an almost impossible task. Heechul looks up at him. Maeng tries to ignore him. "Does it?" 

"For God's sake, Heechul," Changmin hisses through clenched teeth. Maeng lets out a breath and starts counting to ten in his mind. "Shut. Up." 

"You look great in your vest," Heechul informs Changmin with jealousy in his voice. "Do you think they've given me the wrong size?" 

"I swear to God Kim, if you don't shut up, I'm gonna stick that vest of yours up your tight ," Maeng snaps, hands clenching around his gun. Heechul closes his mouth with an audible click. "You wish," he snorts. Before Maeng gets to reply, they hear gunshots and an explosion; pieces of glass, wood, and God knows what fall from the windows above their heads and the building they're currently watching comes to life. 

Maeng looks up just in time to see a man jump out of the window above them in a desperate attempt of escape. The second he lands, though, Maeng already has a gun pointed at his head and his knee is pinning the man to the ground.

"Go, go, go!" he shouts. His team quickly makes their way into the now burning building. He starts reading the man he's just caught Miranda's rights; the criminal is thrashing around like crazy. He hears firetruck sirens in the distance and shouts of his policemen inside the building. When he looks up, he sees Kris carrying a woman out of the building, unharmed but incredibly scared. Paramedics swarm them a second later. 

The criminal Maeng is sitting on somehow manages to kick him even as he's pinned to the ground. Maeng growls, pushes him harder into the pavement, and pulls him up angrily.

 

 

 

*

 

 

Maeng wakes up in his office, feeling groggy and tired. He looks around owlishly, then checks the hour on his wristwatch and decides that he's been asleep for the past hour. He rubs a hand through his face and gets up from his chair. 

He hears some ruckus outside his office. He's not sure if he wants to know what's going on out there, but his curiosity definitely gets piqued when he hears a familar, very deep, young voice beeming through the walls. He takes his suit jacket off the chair and heads out just to see Chanyeol in the middle of the police station, with a marker in hand. 

"Okay Gwok, your turn!" he yells, playing with the marker. There's a whiteboard behind him with some table drawn on it that is half filled with huge x's. Maeng isn't sure if he's really awake; he's starting to think that he's entered some level of his dreams that he never knew existed. He looks around to see his policemen all laughing and eating...donuts.

Okay. He must be dreaming.

"Which one would it be?!" Chanyeol yells. God, that boy has a voice. "Julie's or Chae's?" 

Maeng looks at Gwok, one of the oldest men at the force, who's staring at two donuts, one in each hand, back and forth, as if trying to decide.

"Chae's!" Gwok shouts.

"My man!" Chanyeol yells, throwing his head back in delight. He goes to draw an 'x' on the whiteboard, next to Gwok's name and in the same column that says 'Chae'. What the hell is going on?

"The man of the hour is here!" someone else screams. Everyone turns to look at Maeng; laughs, congratulations and kind words erupt. Someone pushes him on the back, literally pushes him towards Chanyeol, who smiles at him like the giant awkward turtle that he is. He does that thing where one of his eyes is smaller than the other and Maeng finds himself grimacing. That is way too much cheerfullness for his own liking. He wants out.

"What's going on?" he asks. He's still sleepy. Someone laughs into his ear and warm hands envelop him in a hug that makes his skin crawl. He tries to get away from Heechul's strong grip, but the man is like an octopus. 

"Here," Kris says, showing up out of nowhere with two bags of donuts. He presents them to Maeng. "Take one from each box and tell us which one is better." 

Maeng looks up at him. He looks pissed as hell, but since there's Heechul happily draped over his back, he doesn't look half as intimidating as he'd like. He feels his stomach churn at the thought of food - especially donuts, they look amazing - but he knows better than to take them. This is a test. They're all testing him. They want to see if he'd surrender to stereotypes. 

"Why would I do that?" he asks threateningly. He suspects Kris to step away, or show surprise, but the man rolls his eyes like Maeng has just annoyed him, and before Maeng knows, there's a donut in his mouth. Kris is shoving a donut into my mouth. 

Someone cheers, other people start making bets, Chanyeol starts chanting something. He sounds like he's bidding. Heechul lets go of Maeng to stand in front of him and watch him as he's struggling with the donut. 

Maeng finally swallows and the room falls silent. The chief eyes them all suspiciously. Kris hands him the second donut. 

Maeng is silent for the next ten seconds. Everyone's tense. Everything seems to be completely still. 

" it," he says and takes the donut. 

He takes a big bite out of it. This one is softer and more creamy than the first one, and has better jam inside. Definitely. 

"This one," he announces. Kris and Chanyeol literally howl and Chanyeol starts dancing like a crazy man. Maeng sees him high-fiving Kris, saying something about money and winning, and Heechul goes to sit down, defeated. Changmin looks like he's drunk. He's sitting in the corner, laughing on his chair, red in the face. It's five in the morning and they're here, eating donuts, and laughing like idiots.

"We bear gifts!" someone shouts and the scent of coffee fills Maeng's nostrils. He looks at the door to see you, Kai, and a few people he doesn't know come in with lots of coffee. Litres of coffee. Everyone shouts and most of them throw themselves at the pack; Maeng gets pushed to the side by Heechul and gapes at the scene in front of him. This can't be real, right? "Wait, who won?" 

"Heejin's donuts, duh!" Chanyeol yells to you.

"Hell yeah!" Chen cheers next to you, almost spilling all the coffee he's carrying.

You come to Maeng, hand him a warm cup of coffee, and smile sweetly.

"Heard you had a very rough week," you say. Maeng stares at you numbly. His brain finally catches up to what you're saying.

"Yes," he says dumbly. "Wait, what's going on?" 

"Oh, wait, wait, I have a new one!" Heechul yells. Everyone goes a little bit more silent than they were two seconds ago.

"There we go," Kris mutters next to Maeng. Maeng already knows he'll be facepalming in a moment.

"Did you hear that the energizer bunny was arrested?" Heechul asks, grinning from ear to ear. He wiggles his brows. "He was charged with battery."

A moan of embarrassment goes through the entire station. Maeng takes a sip of his coffee and watches as Changmin writes Heechul's lame joke down for future reference and Chanyeol laughs at something Kris says, nodding vigorously at the same time. His entire person is like a game glitch. 

Maeng never thought that one day he's going to become a chief of police whose subordinates hold The Best Donut contests and The Best Lame Police Jokes contests. He never thought that his policemen would become friends with some random teenagers coming by with coffe every now and then, either. He takes another sip of his coffee and smiles a private smile. 

 

 

 

 

 


Ok ok so I JUST GOT A NEW LAPTOP :D I'm writing this A/N on it ahsjbfijkfbjm

As you might've noticed, there's no chapter picture to this chapter (and the previous one). That's because I didn't have ps and couldn't make them, lol. BUT I'LL DOWNLOAD PS NOW THAT I HAVE THIS NEW LAPTOP AND THE CHAPTER PICTURES WILL BE BACK YO 

sorry I'm excited XD it's so new and if literally starts up in like 5 seconds what even is that magic

Hope you enjoyed the story, chocolate frosted donuts! I'm going to Warsaw today so I didn't have time to reply to some of your comments and I might be a tiny bit late doing that today as well, but be patient with me pls :D

PS Chae is Heejin's surname.