little secrets

Run A Little Faster



LITTLE SECRETS

 


 

“Let’s go buy Oreos first,” Heejin says, grabbing Suho’s hand easily. Suho smiles at how warm and familiar her skin feels, how his wolf settles easily the second she touches him, and he curls his fingers around Heejin’s as the girl is busy scanning the shop aisles in search for the cookies. “We need one regular sized, and one mini Oreos,” she adds, as if reading a shopping list out loud. Suho has found that she does that quite a lot.

He tugs her towards the right aisle, knowing exactly where Oreos are gonna be. Oreos are the pack’s favorite.

“Here,” he says, pointing at the cookies. Heejin looks as if Suho has just shown her a treasure chest; it’s the cutest thing ever. “What’s next?”

“Chocolate cake mix,” Heejin replies.

“It’s in the next aisle,” Suho nods and once again leads her to the right part of the shop. “Next?”

“Cream cheese,” Heejin says and outwardly grins. “And I know where it is.”

This time she’s the one tugging him.

They make the cupcakes. Suho accidentally spills all the vanilla extract, so he has to go and buy some more, but when he’s back, Heejin’s nose is smeared with powdered sugar and she smells like chocolate. She throws some sugar at him when she notices him laughing at her look, and they end up completely white.

The cupcakes are the pack’s newest favorite thing.

 

 

*

 

 

“Alright,” Heejin says. “My first glasses. What did they look like?”

Suho gapes at her. “Are you kidding? I couldn’t possibly know that!”

“No answer, no donut,” Heejin shrugs, smirking a little. They’re outside campus, on a bench in the park, and it’s the cherry blossoms season; everything around them is pink from the petals. “Come on, ten seconds.”

“But you never told me about your first glasses!”

“Did too!”

“No you didn’t!”

“Five seconds.”

Suho stutters, “Pink! They were pink!”

Heejin shoots him a look. She looks him up and down and hums.

“You took a wild guess,” she tells him. “I get the donut,” she adds, opening the pink box full of tiny round donuts, each one of them glazed with different kind of chocolate and sparkles.

“No, you do not,” Suho says, taking the box away from her. “You’ve had enough sugar today, young lady.”

“But you didn’t answer!” Heejin argues. “I win, the donut is mine!”

Suho stands up on the bench just to get the box out of the girl’s reach; he looks down at her, smug, and Heejin shoots him another look, a little smile playing on her lips.

“Pink,” Suho repeats. “I said your first glasses were pink. And it’s true. So I get the donut.”

“If you really knew what my first glasses looked like, you’d also say they had white bunnies on the sides,” Heejin tells him, also standing up on the bench. She’s still shorter than him, and when Suho stretches his arms out towards the sky – the box of donuts on top – she has no chance of getting the food.

“And that’s how your unhealthy obsession with bunnies started,” Suho sums up. Heejin looks sincerely surprised at that.

“Not unhealthy!” she argues. “Definitely not unhealthier than that fantasy roleplay game you play with your gang.”

“We’re not a gang,” Suho frowns.

“Oh, that’s the thing you decide to point out?”

Suho looks at her smiling, a smile of his own growing on his lips.

“Okay,” he says finally. “How about we share the donut.”

Heejin giggles a little, “Deal.”

 

 

*

 

 

“Oh my God, what do I do? What do I do?!” Heejin screams, the controller shaking in her hands.

“Grab that baseball bat! Baseball bat! On your left!” Suho screams, pointing at the screen, where Heejin’s game character is getting beaten by some thugs.

“Which left?!”

“Your left?!”

“Oh my God, they’re gonna kill you!” Chen screams from the side. “Heejin, for God’s sake, get that baseball bat!”

She finally grabs it and starts swinging it around crazily.

“You have to aim, though!” Chen reminds her. “God, we need to teach her things!”

“Shush!” Suho says, chuckling, as Heejin squeals and screams, trying to get the bad guys.

“I’m not playing this ever, ever again,” she gasps. “Oh my God. Did I break his jaw?”

“I heard multiple asking marks in there,” Chen says, laughing. Suho laughs with him as Heejin tries, and fails, to finish the level. “You gotta get that scroll! It’s on the column, remember?”

“How do I get a scroll if—oh my gosh!”

The screen goes red, a bit ‘YOU LOSE’ flashing mockingly in front of Heejin’s face. She practically throws the controller at Suho and stands up in frustration.

“That was horrible!” she exclaims and shivers. “I feel so attacked right now.”

“You were pretty good though,” Suho tries, standing up as well, still laughing a little. Chen goes to the kitchen, probably to get something to drink, and laughs all the way there. “A bit on the clumsy side, but still pretty awesome.”

“I prefer Fifa,” Heejin muses, still sulky, kind of hugging herself by wrapping her own arms around her shoulders. Suho aww’s under his breath and goes to kiss her on the nose. Heejin turns deep red.

“We can play Fifa now,” Suho tells her.

 

 

*

 

 

Suho has a stack of papers under his arm when he opens the door to the Park household (without knocking, because your mom is probably working at this hour) and he’s taking off his shoes when he hears an unknown heartbeat in the living room, and your own heart going a little bit too fast for his own liking. Alarmed, he quickly enters the room, and is met with a set of kinda familiar eyes, and a bit of a scowl-y face.

“God,” he breathes out, his jaw hanging somewhere around his knees.

The wall of muscles, dark and tall and handsome, laughs and says: “It’s Jaejoong, actually.”

Suho stares. He looks at you – you’re dressed in gym clothes – and you’re not freaking out over a strange man in your living room, so there must be something off.

Then he finally catches up with what’s going on and he opens his mouth widely, the papers falling onto the ground.

“Jaejoong?!” he almost screams.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

“I wanted to tell Kai,” you explain, placing a cup of coffee in front of Suho. “But Jae asked me not to.”

“Jae? You’re giving him pet names now?” Suho asks you, placing his hands on the hot mug.

“That’s hardly a pet name, and you’re being bitter,” you point out.

“Of course I’m being bitter!” Suho hisses. “That was Kai’s older brother. The one Kai thinks might be dead, the one the whole family is looking for. How long have you been keeping this away from us? What would you do if it were Kai that walked in on you two today and not me?”

“Not long,” you say, but Suho tilts his head a little, knowing that you’re not telling the truth. Dammit. How can he know? Your lying is perfect. You know how to control your heart beat, even, so it doesn’t make a weird sound when you lie. And yet, Suho always seems to be able to tell when you’re lying to him. It’s unsettling. And unfair. “Okay, gosh. Since the, uh—triplets accident. Since Father appeared, kinda.”

“So he works for Father?” Suho asks. He squints at you. “Wait, is he training you? That’s why you’re wearing gym clothes?”

“Yes. And I knew it was you the second you opened the door; if it were Kai, Jaejoong would’ve disappeared.”

“He knows how to do magic?”

“He knows a few tricks,” you explain. “He has some magic talent, but not enough to use actual magic. He has magic objects from Father, though. He can even teleport thanks to Father’s magic.”

“And how long are you going to keep the truth away from Kai?” Suho asks, whispering all of a sudden. “This is a heavy lie. You know how Kai is when it comes to this stuff. He’s gonna be pissed at you.”

“Well, it’s not my secret to tell, is it?” you bark. “Jaejoong asked me not to tell him anything, so I’m keeping the promise.”

“But you’re lying to the person you love,” Suho hisses, leaning towards you. “Kai always had trust issues, and you’re once again putting him in a position where—“

“How is that different from you and Heejin?” you interrupt him, staring him down. Suho finds himself swallowing hard. “You’re keeping the truth away from her, too. In your case you’re keeping your whole true self away from her. So stop lecturing me about trust and lies.”

His heart skips a beat. He clenches his fists, coffee forgotten. He looks away from your angry face, feeling disoriented and anxious himself.

“It’s not just my secret to tell,” he says, and then realizes he’s just repeated the words after you. He glances at you and sees you looking at him a bit softer now. You sigh in unison.

 

 

*

 

 

 

“What’s this?” Heejin asks curiously. Suho turns to see what exactly she’s asking about, and all but jumps from his seat, grabbing the book she was just about to pick up away from her. Heejin startles, fingers frozen in the air, as they were just about to touch an Egyptian magic book.

Seeing her shocked eyes, Suho deflates, and awkwardly puts the book onto the highest shelf in his room, coughing.

“I’m sorry,” he says. “It’s—it’s for my final thesis. It’s really old, you shouldn’t touch it. It could crumble any moment, it’s really, really old.”

Heejin stares at him, still a bit worried, and nods a bit shakily. “Okay,” she says.

“We could go out,” Suho says, pointing at the door. Heejin shakes her head, stands up from his bed and starts gathering her stuff.

“I need to go to work anyways,” she says. “You can come have some coffee later. You could’ve told me you’re busy.”

“I’m not busy,” Suho argues, but he knows it’s a lost case. Heejin looks a bit bitter, a bit disappointed, and it makes him incredibly anxious. “I can go now, walk you—“

“It’s okay, really,” she says, smiling softly at him. “See you later.”

He already has little time for her, with school and whatnot, and now he also destroyed—this. God.

He wants to tell her. He really wants to tell her.

 

 

 

*

 

 

“What are you doing?”

Suho falls off a tree.

Heejin squeals when he lands right in front of her, at her feet, and then stares him down in pure shock as he rubs his back.

“There’s a leaf in your hair,” Heejin points out, reaching out to get a twig out of his hair. Suho frowns, looks up at her, and then realizes that he probably just lost the person he was supposed to spy on. He snaps his head back and—yeah, the guy is gone.

“Gee,” he says, because Suho is way too nice to swear in annoyance.

“What were you doing on a tree?” Heejin asks. Suho stands up, looks around to see a few people staring at him oddly, and blushes. He doesn’t have an actual explanation for that one, does he?

God. He just has to go with truth now, looks like.

“I was spying on someone,” he says, rubbing his head.

“Sorry I made you fall off a tree,” Heejin tells him. “It was weird, though. Not the weirdest thing I’ve seen you do, but definitely top ten.”

“You have a top ten of me?” Suho asks, picking up his bag, that has also fallen off the tree.

“You and the rest of your gang,” Heejin says. “Kyungsoo dangling off an air vent in a McDonald’s toilet is still top one, though.”

Suho wonders how many times Heejin (and Minjoon) has seen them doing weird and how many times she decided to be quiet about it.

“Well?” Heejin asks him. He realizes that he’s been staring at her for quite a while, not saying a word, and also not listening to what she was saying. “Are we going to go after the guy or not?”

Suho gapes. He gapes a lot recently. Then he nods shakily, takes Heejin’s hand into his own and leads her towards the last place the guy was. He easily picks up his scent – heavy with gun powder and cigarettes – and pretends to look around for a while, trying to look like he’s making up his mind as to where he should go next. He turns into an alley, then they pass a street, and they come to an abrupt stop right before crossing the street.

The guy is standing on the other side, in front of an office building, talking with some thugs. They all look like mafia members and Suho knows that they are, in fact, mafia members.

Because his pack hunts the mob now too, apparently. They do threaten the life of innocent citizens, after all, and when nothing magical attacks you for a longer period of time, it begins to get boring.

“So why are we spying on him again?” Heejin whispers as Suho’s staring at the guy. He turns a little towards her when one of the thugs sends him a wary look.

“I’m a man on a mission,” he explains.

“You seem to be on a lot of missions,” Heejin replies, raising her brows at him. Suho glances to the side to see his man walking away from the thug duo, and he prompts Heejin to walk with him. They’re still on the other side of the road and the guy doesn’t seem to realize he’s being followed. He goes into a little shop on the corner of the street and Suho uses that moment to run to the other side of the road, Heejin still by his side.

He wonders what she’s thinking about as they go around chasing thugs.

He peeks inside the shop, through the dirty glass, and listens in.

“What’s going on?” Heejin asks him. He shushes her by squeezing her hand reassuringly. When he’s done listening, he quickly takes a step back from the window and walks into the opposite direction. “Did you hear anything?”

“No,” he lies, “but I know where he’s go, I think.”

“How?”

“I’ve followed him a few times before,” Suho says. That one is not a lie. “He has a system.”

“Who is he? And why are you following him?”

Suho shrugs. “You’ve seen me do a lot of weird stuff. You never questioned it before.”

Heejin doesn’t react at first. They walk past a few shops, jump onto a bus, and sit in silence for the whole ride.

“Where are we going?” she asks.

“School,” Suho replies, smiling a little. Heejin frowns.

“But I just came out of school,” she moans. Suho leans in to plant a quick kiss on the top of her head, completely smitten with her pout, and that’s the moment the bus stops. They hop off and head towards the school building.

Heejin squints when she sees Tao waiting for them in front of the main entrance.

“Wait for us,” Suho tells her. Heejin wants to argue at first, but Suho seems weirdly serious, and she doesn’t say a word in the end. She sits down on the stairs outside and waits. She plays some Minion Rush in the meantime, minutes flying by, and she tries to understand what exactly the boys have gotten themselves into, but can’t figure it out.

The guy looked like someone who could easily deal drugs, or something like that.

Tao did start smoking weed lately. Does that have anything to do with the guy?

They exit the school half an hour later, matching grins on their lips.

“Done,” Suho says.

“What’s done?” Heejin asks.

“We took care of something,” Tao says and waves his phone at her as if she’s supposed to understand everything thanks to that. “I gotta go back, I’ve got math.”

Suho nods at him with a warm smile and turns to look at Heejin. She’s squinting at him again, but she doesn’t oppose when he takes her hand.

 

 

 

*

 

 

Later that day Minjoon calls Heejin to tell her that someone has apparently ‘put weed in the vents and everyone is slowly getting high’ and that the school is on a lockdown. Suho looks extremely flustered about that.

“Not me,” he swears. “I promise, I didn’t do it.”

“Now that’s what I call a high school,” Minjoon says lamely to Heejin’s ear.

 

 

*

 

Heejin has a new bunny. He’s fluffy, white, tiny, and has floppy ears. She names him Carrot and he’s the cutest thing Suho’s seen since Choco was a puppy. Although Heejin still wins any contests when it comes to cuteness.

“He’s so cute,” she says. She’s sprawled on the floor, up, waving her finger around for Carrot to follow; the bunny bounces around crazily, stopping every now and then to ruffle the fur on his little head or whatever he’s actually doing, and Heejin always uses that moment to his fur.

Suho is dying out of cuteness.

He lies down next to Heejin, also onto his stomach, and puts his chin onto his folded forearms. He slides close to the girl so that their shoulders touch, and he watches as she plays with the bunny. He stretches his own arm out toward the animal.

“He’s so fluffy I’m gonna die,” Heejin whispers.

“I think I’m gonna die first,” Suho says, looking at her profile just as she smiles at something Carrot does.

He’s gonna tell her one day. God, he’s gonna tell her. But as for now, he’s gonna let her live like this; not knowing there’re monsters lurking in the dark and demons hovering above her head. He’s gonna be here if she ever gets into danger, and he’s gonna protect her at all costs. He’s gonna let her live like this for a while longer. He’s gonna let himself have her trust for a while longer; know that she trusts him enough not to ask him questions about mafia members and weird, magic books in his room.

And one day, he’s gonna show her, and change her world.

 

 


This turned out to be so long omg XD

If anyone's wondering what went down at school: the gangster Suho was following was a drug dealer. He started selling some hard drugs at school, so of course Tao wanted to do something about it. They decided to spy on him a little, arrange a meeting, and then record him admitting to his crimes. Not everything went smoothly and some weed went flying, but the boys didn't even see it, too busy trashing around XD HEADCANON ACCEPTED

Hope you enjoyed. Love you cheesecakes :)