kiss it better

Run A Little Faster


 

KISS IT BETTER

 


 

Kai wakes up with sweat covering his brow and the smell of smoke still lingering in his nostrils. It takes him ten seconds to realize that he’s not dreaming anymore and to understand that he’s home, that everything is okay and nothing is burning.

He forces his muscles to move and runs a hand through his hair, letting out a silent sigh, tears prickling his eyes.

Then he hears your steady heartbeat in the kitchen and smells food. He stalks out of bed, stumbles over his own foot, and finally makes his way into the living room that’s directly connected to the kitchen. You’re humming a song under your breath, wearing your favorite red hoodie and cracking eggs onto the frying pan.

Kai’s sleepy mind is still confused about the reality so at first he frowns at you standing there. What is Dal doing in his loft? Why is she cooking? And then you turn towards him, quirking a brow, and reality dawns at him.

Oh, right. I love her and she loves me back.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

Kai has his eyes closed, focusing on the steady thumping of your heartbeat while you drive, when you gasp suddenly, as if remembering something. He pries his left eye open and sees you pulling a pendrive out of your jeans pocket and he growls, tilting his head to the right so he can knock his head on the glass.

“Driver chooses the music,” you remind him, nodding diligently to yourself and putting the pendrive into the radio. You wait for a moment for the music to start playing and when it does, you let out a tiny victory yell. This time it’s the 80’s music, oh dear God.

You sing along to every. single. song.

Kai sits there with his head in his hands.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

He’s lying on his belly, watching Running Man from the couch and laughing to himself when your keys jingle in the lock. He hears you sigh loudly and when you reach the couch he can smell the heavy scent of your magic with a hint of sweat and soil.

“Training?” he asks.

“Yes,” you groan, throwing yourself at him. Kai grunts a little when you spread yourself on top of him like a big, fat cat, and then chuckles a little as you nose at his neck. “But I learned a mirror trick.”

“A mirror trick?” Kai repeats curiously. “What does it do?”

“It traps you…inside…a mirror…”

And with that, you’re promptly asleep, your breath tickling Kai’s neck and your warmth putting him at ease.

 

 


 

*
 

 

 

“Come on Choco,” you say. The dog runs towards you, tongue out, and you coo loudly. “Good boy! Who’s my favorite? Who’s my favorite? You are!”

“Thanks,” Kai tells you, throwing the leash at you. It catches around your neck and you sputter, wrecking it away.

“Well you couldn’t possibly think you were my fave, could you?” you tease, bending down to put the leash on Choco. You then head towards the door and Kai follows you, locking the loft behind. You take the elevator (“I got stuck in it once, oh my God, I won’t die if I use it again. Chill, Kai.”) and make your way outside.

You buy ice cream in your favorite booth and sit on your favorite bench in the park. You let Choco run free and socialize with other dogs out on the walk, comfortable silence spreading between you two.

“You’re my favorite,” you assure him. “But ssh. Don’t tell Choco.”

Kai smiles and leans in to take a off your ice cream.

 

 


 

*

 

 

 

“If I eat myself would I become twice as big or would I just disappear completely?”

Kai blinks his bleary eyes open. He glances at the clock; it’s 3 am and it’s the full moon night. He turns onto the other side to see you staring at the ceiling, eyes wide and shining. Someone from the pack – probably Chen – lets out a huge snore on the floor.

“What?” Kai asks. You turn your face to him. Kai decides that you won’t be sleeping any time soon.

“Also, what if the only reason we can't pass through mirrors is because our reflection is stopping us?” you whisper. You sound like it’s some kind of conspiracy and you can’t say it out loud because the government will get to you. 

“Dal,” Kai whispers, crawling a little closer to you. Your eyes are still shining. “How many coffees did you have today?”

You shrug innocently. “Not much.”

Usually after Kai wakes up he’s incoherent for the following fifteen minutes or so, but it’s the full moon and—well, that’s what four-dimensional girlfriends do to him.

“You’re spending way too much time studying and training,” he says. “Also, if the mirror thing were true, wouldn’t invisible things still get through?”

You roll your eyes with a playful smile. “Just because we can’t see wind doesn’t mean that the wind can’t see itself.”

“Damn,” Xiumin says somewhere in the room. “Now that’s some deep .”

Kai whacks you on the head with a pillow.

 


 

*
 

 

 

You take a cookie out of the jar and lean back on the couch to resume watching ‘Pacific Rim’. Kai comes around, puts his tea mug on the coffee table in front of the couch, and stretches his legs out on it, eyes already pinned to the screen as well.

Then his eyes snap down at the cookie jar.

There’s one last cookie left inside it.

He glances at you, muscles tensing. He looks back at the screen, yawning, trying to seem comfortable and completely uninterested with the cookie (which is, by the way, one of the best things Heejin bakes, and probably one of the best things that exist in this world). He glances at it again, though, and then back at you, making sure you’re invested in the movie. You’re frowning and your jaw is clenched, and it’s the epic Gypsy-smashing-the-Kaiju-with-a-ship scene, so he suspects that yes, you are invested. Very invested.

So he uses his superspeed to dive his hand into the jar, taking the last cookie out, but then your hands are on his forearm and when he pulls it up you practically fly with him, your fingers clenching around the cookie as well, and you both let out strangling noises, fighting for it.

“I touched it first!” Kai screams.

“I brought them here!”

“I bought them!”

He stands up from the couch, you stand up on the couch, and the cookie crumbles in your hands. You stumble, suddenly, and Kai jumps back, letting out a silent gasp when you hit the floor with your head and groan in pain.

Kai outward laughs, throwing his head back in a giggle, and stuffs his face full of the cookie crumbs. He looks down at you, giggling, the cookie crunching in his mouth.

There’s a bruise forming on your forehead and an angry scowl on your face.

“Aww,” he muses, bending down to help you up. You sulk as he does so and when you’re standing, you open up your palm to see the half of your cookie completely smashed in your hand. “That’ gonna leave a bruise.”

You both know it won’t leave a bruise because you can heal now. Nevertheless, Kai leans in to kiss it better, and you stuff your face with the cookie crumbs anyway.

When you’re done eating it, Kai leans in to kiss you all better.

 

 

 



KaiDal fluff because apparently I can't help myself with it ;__; 
Thanks for reading apple puff pastry cups!