the pack

Run A Little Faster

 

THE PACK

 


 

“So,” Sehun says, plopping down next to Kai and throwing snacks onto his Alpha’s lap. They’re hanging out in Sehun’s family home, the TV is on, and Sehun’s mom is making dinner (Sehun’s older sister is helping). “You know how other packs all around the country call us the Moon Pack?”

Kai is in the middle of opening a bag of chips when Sehun says that and his hands jerk a little. The bag bursts, chips spilling everywhere. Kai looks at Sehun dumbly and Sehun makes a face as he stares at Kai’s crotch, currently covered with salty snacks.

“The what now?” Kai asks, scowling a little. Sehun looks up at him, his eyes showing pity.

“The. Moon. Pack.” Sehun repeats, slow and loud. “Because of Dal, probably.”

“Our pack has a name?” Kai asks incredulously. “Who came up with it?”

“I don’t know,” Sehun replies, shrugging. “But it’s a thing now, apparently.”

“And how do you know that?”

Sehun shrugs again, grabbing the torn bag of chips and tilting his head back so he can pour the leftovers into his mouth. Kai watches as he chews, waiting for an answer, but Sehun is then too busy around the mouthful of chip crumbles.

“Sehun,” Kai says, throwing his head back in annoyance. He then grabs the bag back from the kid and tries to put all the chips from his jeans back inside it.

Sebin, Sehun’s older sister, chooses this exact moment to come into the room with two cokes, and she stops in front of them, her eyes fixed on Kai’s crotch. Kai feels his cheeks redden.

“Crumbs,” Sebin says. “You’re getting crumbs all over the couch.”

“I know,” Kai says, flailing to put the chips away. Sehun giggles next to him, visibly pleased by how flustered his friend is. Kai shoots him a glare. Sebin looks deeply uncomfortable with Kai’s attempts of cleaning, so she just leaves the glasses in front of them and walks away, Sehun’s ‘thank you!’ reaching her ears.

“So anyway,” Sehun says, scratching his ear, “I thought that since it’s our name and all, maybe we should, like, get tattoos.”

Kai looks up, stares into nothing for a few seconds, and then automatically turns his head to look at him, eyebrows doing the confused dance.

“Tattoos?” he asks.

“Like the one Dal has on her left hand,” Sehun explains, pointing at his own palm. “A moon tattoo.”

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

“Don’t fight it,” Jaejoong tells you. “Let it come, don’t brace for the pain, treat it like a wave. Imagine yourself on the beach, watching the waves, waiting for one of them to touch your toes, but not necessarily getting ready for the coldness.”

“That is the most ty metaphor in the history of humankind,” you say through clenched teeth as pain literally tears your muscles apart. You gasp for air when it’s gone and let your body collapse onto the grass. “And it doesn’t help at all.

“Because you’re not listening,” Jaejoong tells you, stretching his hand out to help you get up. You stare up at him, squinting at his silhouette against the sun, and let out a wheezy breath.

“I don’t get why you, out of all people, are supposed to teach me this stuff,” you say, finally stretching your arm out. Jaejoong heaves you up.

“Because it’s like controlling my wolf,” the man explains, patting your shoulders a little, as if checking for damage, or maybe making sure you don’t fall down again, unsteady on your feet. He steps away from you, grabs a long, wooden staff from the ground, and then motions for you to pick up your own, too. You comply, and the second you touch it, the world around you spins. You realize that someone is using teleportation on both you and him and in a blink of an eye, you find yourself thousands of meters above the ground, standing right on the edge of a freaking cliff.

You startle a little, staring at the tips of trees under the rock you’re on, and you take a deep breathe. You look upright, spotting Father and Jaejoong next to him. Father wordlessly takes the staff out of Jaejoong’s grip; the young man steps back as Father takes a few steps forward, until he’s standing in front of you, a few meters ahead.

“Stance,” he tells you, and merely a second after you choose the Seigan No Kamae stance, he attacks. With magic, too.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

It’s late night when you come back home. You collapse on the top of your bed, every muscle in your body aching, and you grunt into your pillow.

Your mom must’ve heard you shuffling around your room because she knocks shortly and sticks her head in.

“You’re back?” she asks. Then she cringes when you let out a pained sound familiar to a panda’s. “What did you learn today?” she asks, entering your room and closing the door behind her.

“Not all old people are weak and slow,” you say, your mouth still in your pillow, and your mom laughs. She your hair and you hum softly at how nice it feels.

“Don’t overwork yourself,” she tells you softly. You nod, turning a little so you can look and smile at her.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

It’s a surprisingly quiet day. You’re lying on your bed, laptop on your lap, and you’re watching some YouTube videos for the first time in a while. No one is bothering you.

You didn’t really think about it three hours ago, but you’re sure thinking about it right now. Because sure, there are days when you all need some precious alone time with your families and stuff, but it’s probably the first time you haven’t gotten a single call or a text from anyone for the whole day.

Well, not the whole day, but it’s almost 4 pm and if it wasn’t for your triangle tattoo—

 

You glance down at your phone, squinting at it, as if daring it to call. Just a few seconds—no. No one is calling you. You don’t get a single text, either, not a snap, not a message. Literally nobody wants anything from you today.

It freaks you out a little.

You call Kai and he picks up after the sixth signal and there’s a weird buzzing sound in the background as he says, “Hey. I can’t talk right now,” and promptly hangs up.

You blink a few times. You try calling him again but he doesn’t pick up and you start to panic, but he sends you a quick text.

 

From Angry Alpha:
[Received 15:47]

Family business

 

You send him an apologetic message and put your phone back down. Tao should be out of school already and even he’s not calling, even though you’re usually the first person he nags to about the teachers being stupid or about something that’s happened at school. The feeling is unsettling.

You open your message box.

 

what are you guys doing?
[Sent 15:49]

 

You wait a few minutes, clicking away on your laptop, opening five new tabs, and your phone lets out a howling sound. Some time ago Amber set a wolf howling as a new message signal on all of your phones. You quite liked it, so you decided to leave it be.

 

From Yeol the Giant:
[Received 15:51]

Lecture :// Suho’s probs sleeping, he had a rough day

 

:(
[Sent 15:51]

 

 

You think about calling Kris, but he’s working anyways, just like Xiumin. Everyone seems to have very little time lately, but it’s really unusual not to give a sign of life.

You finally give up after you sent Tao a quick text asking what he’s up to and he doesn’t reply. They have their own things to do, you get it. And it’s not like you don’t enjoy some alone time. It’s actually pretty nice.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

You meet Amber when exiting a supermarket. She’s with Sulli and they’re talking about something very excitedly. But then Amber spots you and freezes; Sulli looks frightened when she sees you and freezes as well.

“Hi?” you prompt, frowning. You stop a few steps away from them.

Amber goes from frozen to straight-forward and normal as quickly as Kyungsoo goes from nice to murderous.

“Hi!” she says. “I have a doctor’s appointment.”

And she grabs Sulli’s arm, dragging her away in a haste. You watch as they go wide-eyed, hurt and disbelieving, thinking what the hell did you do for everyone to suddenly avoid you as the plague. You pull your phone out, checking for messages, that really unpleasant feeling building up in your stomach.

You don’t message or call anyone, but you feel freaking nasty for at least two next hours.

And then you think: they probably did something and are scared to admit it.

You facepalm in the safety of your room. Your mom comes back from work with cookies.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

You wake up to the smell of something really good and your triangle tattoo all warm and fuzzy, and you know right away that your pack visited you.

All of them.

You walk down, pulling your hair into a ponytail, their loud voices hearable from the corridor. Your mom is laughing at something loudly, which means no one is destroying your property, and you enter the kitchen to see them all huddled together, trying to fit by your tiny kitchen table. Baekhyun has Amber on his lap, Xiumin has Min, Sehun has Sulli, and Chanyeol has Eun. Kris and Luhan brought a chair from the living room and Kris is sitting on it while Luhan is draped on his boyfriend’s back; Yixing and Chen are both lurking by the coffee machine, Suho's making your mom laugh by the fridge, Tao is leaning over the wall, arguing about something with Kyungsoo and Taemin while gesticulating wildly, and as you take them all in, a sudden wave of complete and utter affection hits you. You feel so much love for them at that moment that you get dizzy.

“Dal!” Chanyeol exclaims happily. Greetings spill from their mouths. It’s so loud suddenly that you barely realize that someone is dragging you back into your room, saying something about you having to dress immediately, and the rest scrambles, standing up from the table in a hurry.

“Wait, I haven’t eaten yet!” you argue.

Min throws some clothes at you when you finally reach your room. You put them on quickly, wondering what the heck is going on, and then Baekhyun and Chanyeol come to the room just as you’re leaving it, jumping around you like puppies.

“Hurry up,” Chanyeol says. “You look very nice.”

“I haven’t even showered today,” you tell him, making a face.

“You did in the evening,” Baek says. It’d be creepy for a normal person to say that, you think. But Baekhyun can totally smell the shampoo on you and guess when exactly you showered.

Okay, that sounds even creepier.

Someone practically shoves your shoes at you and pushes you out of your house. “Bye, mom!” you manage to scream over your shoulder. Then someone closes the door with a click and Kris ushers you out of the gate.

“Okay, okay, I’m going, I’m going!” you gasp, laughing. “Where are we going?”

“Seoul,” Amber informs you. You gape.

What?”

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

They do get you to Seoul. By bus. It’s quite ridiculous, really, because you take over half of the bus, that’s just how many of you there are. You listen to some music with Taemin, sharing his earphones; then Baekhyun starts making jokes, then impersonations start, and you all erupt in laughter every few seconds at something dumb someone says. The rest of the bus – a few older ladies, a couple of high school students, and a very angry-looking businessman all look at you with spite and irritation, and one of the old ladies actually tries to shush you at some point. Kris apologizes to her and you’re quiet for the total of ten seconds before Amber bursts out laughing again and it all goes to .

All the passengers that had to spend the drive with you seem very relieved when you finally reach your destination. Chanyeol becomes the guide immediately, grabbing Eun’s hand with a grin.

You go to the Cheonggyecheon stream, grabbing some taiyaki on the way. You still have half of the food when you reach the stream. You all sit on the stairs leading to the water, eating loudly, talking and joking. You haven’t felt as comfortable as you do at that moment in a long time, and you lean on Chen’s side with a happy sigh, munching on the sweet, still warm pastry in your hand.

“You’re such s,” you say. Chen chokes.

“Why?” he almost exclaims.

“You know why.”

“We took you to the most beautiful place ever!” he argues. “Look how pretty it is!”

Yes, the stream is pretty indeed; you have to give him that.

“Doesn’t change the fact you all avoided me for the past two days,” you shrug. “You didn’t even want to talk to me; I don’t like it at all. You’ve either done something bad and didn’t want me to see, or you just decided to be to me.”

They all get quiet.

“Okay,” Yixing drawls. “Definitely not option two.”

“I knew it!” you gasp, detaching yourself from Chen and almost making him drop his food. He yelps. You turn towards the rest, victorious. “You did something again!”

“We did,” Min admits, grinning all of a sudden. You squint at her, confused.

“Eat your food,” Kai prompts, nudging your elbow with his knee. You frown deeply, sending them all a betrayed look, but you know that they won’t tell you anytime soon.

The sun is slowly setting as you all finish eating and you stand up from the stairs. You’re such a huge group of friends that you could as well be a circus troupe or something similar. You take the whole freaking pavement, leaving almost no place for unsuspecting civilians out for a stroll, and at some point you decide to walk in threes. You buy some slushies on the way, avoiding any heavily-busy places in the city and mostly walking around parks, lakes and quiet places.

You have to stop, at some point, to tie your shoelaces; Baekhyun and Tao stop abruptly to wait for you while the rest keeps walking as they’re all ahead. You stand up. The sun is setting and as you look ahead at the boys (and girls) walking in front of you, only their silhouettes visible in the soft, orange light, you get that feeling of affection again.

“Aw,” Tao says, “you’re making a face.”

“A happy face,” Baekhyun adds, smiling. He embraces you a little, prompting you to walk. They both throw their arms at you so that you’re walking in the middle of them, feeling safe and very comfortable.

You stop on a big bridge for pedestrians, right above a river, and the pack waits for you three to join. Everyone is grinning stupidly the closer you get. Tao and Baekhyun ‘drop you off’ in the middle of the group and you feel everyone’s stares at you.

“What?” you ask. “Oh my God. What did you do you creeps?”

“Okay, so,” Chanyeol starts, visibly excited. “We’re famous enough around the country to have obtained our own pack name.”

“Obtained?” you snort.

“Too much Pokemon,” Sehun whispers to your ear, leaning over. You smile, but focus on Chanyeol again.

“And because of that we decided to do a thing.” Chanyeol says.

And just like that, they all move a little. Chanyeol hooks his fingers over the neck of his t-shirt and shows you his collarbone.

There’s a crescent moon tattooed on it.

You gape a little. Eun joins Chanyeol by his side, also unfolding her shirt. Her tattoo is still hidden behind a piece of foil, healing, but you can see that it’s a matching crescent moon. They have their tattoos in the same spot, which you find is super adorable, and their tattoos are identical to the one you have on your hand.

“Oh my God,” you gasp a little. You look at the rest of your pack then as they unfold their clothes or get their hair out of way and you can’t breathe for a moment, a wide smile showing up on your face. There’re crescent moon tattoos behind their ears, on the nape of their neck, on their ankles, on the side of their fingers, where their elbows or knees flex—

“That is insane,” you say, disbelieving. You realize that that’s why they were all avoiding you all this time, they were getting the tattoos done. And they didn’t want you to see them just yet. “Are those real? Did you seriously—“

“Do you know what they call us?” Suho asks. You shake your head.

“The Moon Pack,” Kris replies.

 

 

*

 

 

 

You haven’t seen Kai’s tattoo. You thought that maybe he’s hiding it, or maybe he didn’t get it at all, but you don’t ask him about it at first. The sun has already set as you head to the city in order to get some food and maybe go shopping when you slow Kai down (as you’re holding hands). He obliges. The pack walks past you, Chen sending you a knowing smirk, and Kai scratches his head awkwardly.

“Did you get one too?” you ask him, palm sweating a little nervously where Kai squeezes it.

“Of course I did,” he says, nodding. As he makes no movement to show it to you, you shake his hand a little.

“Show me,” you prompt excitedly. Kai smiles down at you softly, showing his teeth a little, and nods. You let go of his hand as he s his shirt, and you find yourself flushing a little.

He s a few buttons down and folds his shirt to the side, showing you the crescent moon tattoo.

It’s in the same spot his heart would be.

You stare at it for a moment. You reach out to touch the black ink, Kai’s skin prickling with goosebumps immediately, and he seems to sway forward, closer to you. You step closer, eyes half-lidded, a wave of love and desire hitting you with hotness.

You swear under your breath. Then you lean in quickly to kiss the tattoo and Kai gasps, grabbing your hand and squeezing it.

“Dal,” he warns.

“Sorry,” you say.

He buttons his shirt quickly. You’re still in a public place, after all, and even if it’s dark and there’s not much people around, it’s still inappropriate at best.

You walk all three steps before Kai mutters something along the lines of ‘ it’ and grabs your neck to pull you in for a very long, very desperate and very wet kiss.

 

 

 


Hi five-layer ice cream Oreo brownie pies! So I'm listening to Major Lazer (and not Lean On, mind you XD) and WOW DEAR GOD THEIR MUSIC IS SO GOOD. I want to dance. I would if it wasn't so hot orzorzorzzz

Here's the Cheonggyecheon stream in Seoul, btw. Where the pack went. It's the same one as the one in the chapter picture :) It's really nice, I want to go there.

 

 

SO! NICE!

 

Oh, and toniluv made me a gorgeous poster for the Double Trouble chapters. Just check it out *^*

(Gosh I love this photo of Kai's. WHY even. Thanks again!)

 

Thanks for reading! <3