Nine

Switch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

By the time Kyungsoo had reached the Han River, the sun had already set beyond the horizon. He literally looked like a human ice cream, slowly melting because of how tired he was. He couldn't put a finger on why he listened to Jongin's words - running all the way here in twenty minutes. For some strange reason, even if he didn't want to go, he found his legs objecting with his upper body.

There was free food, as the younger boy had told him over the phone, but why did he care about that? He could've gotten food anytime he wanted. It possibly couln't have been because he wanted to spend more time with Jongin. His mind pushed out all of those thoughts before he got deeper in them.

"He said he wanted me to come here, but I don't even see him." Kyungsoo rested his palms on his knees, bending down to catch his breath. He watched the various people resting by the riverside : people going for night jogs, walking their dogs and having picnics. There was no sight of Jongin, no sight of the short boy with jet black hair and big doe eyes.

Suddenly, he felt his head being knocked down by something round. He knew it was one of those damned kids carelessly playing around the place. He watched as the soccer ball bounced on the floor, until it stood still in front of him. Clenching his fists, he turned around, ready to give those menacing boys a handful only to be met with Jongin who was grinning at him. 

The younger boy stood there in his school uniform as one of his hands was buried in his pocket while he held a white plastic bag. He kept that dumb grin on his face, causing Kyungsoo's heart rate to momentarily speed up. Jongin stuck his hand out and let the plastic bag spin the air. "Took you long enough. Seriously, Do Kyungsoo, I was almost going to leave, but since I'm in a good mood today. I decided to be nice just this once."

"Whatever." Kyungsoo rolled his eyes before storming off to find a place to sit. He really needed something to cool him down. As he walked, he heard Jongin's hurried steps following behind him. 

"Hey! What's the rush?" Jongin shouted from behind him before catching up. "Mad?"

"Mad?" Kyungsoo faked a laugh to emphasise on his sarcasm. "No, I am not mad. What? You think I'd be mad because I had to run ten rounds around the school track because I'd lost a bet to your friends, to be called over here by you? Or do you think I'd be mad because your coach literally almost beat me up in to a pulp, hadn't it been for the teachers."

Jongin stared down at the floor, kicking the soccer ball as he walked alongside him. "I went to search for you, alright? But I couldn't because your friends dragged him away even before I could start." 

Kyungsoo widened his eyes. Jongin was searching for me? "What? You... were searching..."

But he couldn't get to the topic because Jongin had already steered clear of it. "I met your two other friends today - Luhan and Minseok?"

"I thought we agreed to not get too involved in our personal lives, Kim Jongin. You really shouldn't -"

"They know." Jongin cut him off. "Chanyeol and Baekhyun already told them, just thought you wanted to know."

Kyungsoo simply nodded, not knowing to say after that. He could only mutter soft enough for the younger boy to hear. "Oh."

A blanket of silence started to engulf the both of them. He glanced over at Jongin, who seemed too engrossed in balancing the soccer ball in between his feet to be noticing anything. There was one thing Kyungsoo noticed though, and it was how Jongin was slowly inching closer to him every few steps he took. He had no idea if the boy was doing it on purpose or it was because he was in his own thoughts.

Their hands lightly brushed against each other's, and Kyungsoo felt his heart rate momentarily speed up. He swallowed nervously before closing his eyes shut, reminding himself not to think about anything. To just act normally. However, when their finger tips touched on top of each other's, his felt his face starting to heat up.  He wanted to say something about it, but Jongin hadn't mentioned a single thing.  

It wasn't until the younger boy coincidentally decided to turn over to him did he finally get the chance to pull away.

"Hey, Do Kyungsoo. What's up with your face?" Jongin peered at him. "You look like you're about to explode."

"I-It's nothing. The weather's just gotten really hot. That's all." Kyungsoo lied before taking a step further away from Jongin. The boy raised an eyebrow at his strange behaviour.

Kyungsoo's lips were pressed in a firm line as he blinked in his eyes frantically in a matter of seconds under his bangs. He looked like he was constipated, or just extremely sick. The redness from his cheeks wouldn't fade eventhough he tried his best to fan them so they would at least cool down. Anyone could tell he was acting weird. It was a dead giveaway.

At that moment, Jongin took a step closer to him. The younger boy stared up at Kyungsoo with his accusing eyes and he could smell the familiar shampoo scent he always used. At least Kim Jongin knew his way around the bathroom. 

"Hot? Well, I don't know if you can feel hot in this type of weather, considering we're still at spring." Jongin moved his body closer to Kyungsoo's towering figure. "Honestly, Do Kyungsoo. Are you sure you're feeling hot, or are you feeling some other type of hot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter