Mother

Absolute Boyfriend

                “So,” her mother’s legs were crossed primly, her face hard, “you all, live here?”

                Seh Lyung’s mother looked nothing like Seh Lyung. Apart from the petite figure, while her mother’s hair was curly and coarse, Seh Lyung’s was pin straight and silky. Her mother’s lips were pale and thin, Seh Lyung’s were a vibrant cherry red. It was safe to say that Seh Lyung got her father’s looks. Her mother’s name was Kim Inshi, who had just decided to incite a long visit to her daughter.

                “N-no. Me and my brother live somewhere else.” Youngmin said, trying not to freak out in front of Kwangmin.

                “Alone?” she prodded. She shook her head, obviously unsatisfied with his answer. Her next subject of kill was Donghyun. “And what about you?”

                “He’s one of my students.” K.Will immediately filled in. “His dorm is flooded and he’s staying with me until it’s fixed.”

                Inshi raised her eyebrows so high that they traveled all the way up to her bangs. “You let a student board in your own home!” she immediately grasped her daughter’s hand, staring at her straight in the eyes. “Are you close to this boy?”

                “Noona!” K.Will whined, rubbing his neck. “You’re scaring the kids!”

                But one boy decided to prove him wrong. Minwoo stepped forward to Seh Lyung’s mother, looking brave. “Hello. I’m No Minwoo, Seh Lyung’s classmate.”

                The woman looked at Minwoo up and down, admiring his manners. She couldn’t help but fall for his cute face. She pinched Minwoo’s cheeks so hard they would’ve bled. “Wow! You are so good-looking!”  

                “Thank you.” He giggled. “Would you like me to carry your bags upstairs?”

                “What a good boy.” the mother cooed. “Lead me to my room.”

                As if he had super boy strength, Minwoo managed to carry all three of the satin blue luggage at once. Once they were both up the stairs and out of view, K.Will let out a big breath and plopped on the plush couch. “I hate Noona.” He complained. “Always thinks she can just barge in unannounced.”

                “Hey, that’s my mom!” Seh Lyung spoke in her defense.

                Feeling like jelly, K.Will continued to press his face harder and harder into the fabric. “We just have to make sure that Inshi-noona doesn’t find out about 01-06.” He muttered, his voice muffled. “Understood?”

                “Yes, hyungnim!” Came the voices of the five boys.

                “In that case, 02-06 will sleep next door.”

                “No way!” Jeongmin was appalled, and crossed his arms. He wanted to stay with Seh Lyung. “Tell her my dorm flooded too so I can stay!”

                Getting to a sitting position, K.Will seethed under his breath. “How did I create such an annoying—”

                “I can hear you!”

                Youngmin blew at his bangs. “At least Minwoo’s got on her good side. She probably thinks I’m a delinquent living alone with just Kwangmin.”

                “At least she knows you exist.” Hyunseong sighed, who always felt like he got the shorter end. “She didn’t even look at me when I bowed.”

                Donghyun suddenly got up, his expression passive. “I think I should go clear out my side of our room.” He then turned to Hyunseong, giving a sympathetic smile. “Hyunseong-ah, why don’t you go make dinner, Inshi-umma would definitely notice you then.” They were definitely on a contest for good graces, considering how quick they were going to refer Inshi as their mother.

                “Sure, Hyung.” With that, Hyunseong grabbed Jeongmin’s arm and dragged him to the kitchen, the twins trailing behind.

                Seh Lyung looked toward the kitchen, then to Donghyun who was speeding up the stairs. Decided that following Donghyun was a much safer approach than dealing with the four boyfriends together, she managed to catch up with him upstairs. Making sure that her footsteps were quiet as she crossed her mother’s guestroom, she went inside the boys’ room. Donghyun flashed a warm smile, expecting her. “Hey.”

                “Hi~” she replied, walked over to where he was cleaning up the pile of schoolbooks.

                “I bet your mother wouldn’t be happy that we’re alone in the same room.” He half-joked.

                “My mom may be protective but she trusts me.” Seh Lyung said, although a part of her couldn’t believe that statement.

                “But the question is whether she trusts me.” Donghyun murmured, his hands digging in his briefcase. Papers flew out of the chocolate leather folder, and Seh Lyung even saw one of Minwoo’s perfect papers. A notebook had finally dropped out, a small pink one with a soft cover.

                “Isn’t that mine?” she thought she had lost it, but since it was only a spare notebook she didn’t bother to dwell on it before.

                “It’s yours.” Donghyun clarified awkwardly, grabbing the notebook. He flipped open a page, which revealed Seh Lyung’s letter to her mother awhile back, left with red marks and corrections. She remembered that day, constructing that fake letter to look busy in front of Ji Eun and Minwoo.

                “So… you sent her my letter?” she said.

                “Kind of. I emailed most of that to her.” How embarrassing, to tell your own girlfriend you hacked into her email account.

                “And you did all of this without telling me first?” Seh Lyung prodded. So he was the reason her mother was here.

                Donghyun’s face fell. “Well, uh… I just thought that it would be a nice thing.”

                “I’m not mad,” she laughed, suddenly feeling bad to joke with a robot. Sometimes they were just so serious and couldn’t tell what kidding around was. “But just tell me beforehand, okay?”

                “Okay!” and all of a sudden everything was alright with him. It was so simple. Seh Lyung had a hard time, since she always seemed to be the one to make things complicated. “So you’re happy now, right?”

                “I’ve always been happy.” And to emphasize her point, she jumped up to wrap her arms around Donghyun’s waist. She cheered and rocked back and forth, singing about the room. “Thank you~ thank you Donghyun-oppa~”

                He kissed her forehead twice, caught in the moment. “I’m happy that you’re happy.” Pulling away from their embrace, his face lowered to hers. Donghyun’s lips parted, longing for another kiss.

                “Seh Lyung!”

                Donghyun made a little whine of protest, but forced himself to back away from her. With a light push, he led Seh Lyung out the door. He remained in the room alone to avoid confrontation from Seh Lyung’s mother.

                The door slammed behind her, but she hardly paid attention. The memory was still in her mind. She touched her lips, which were chapped from the cold wind earlier in the day. If she wasn’t called, what would’ve happened?

                “Kim Seh Lyung!” her mother said urgently, running up to her. Minwoo quietly trailed behind like a baby duckling. Her mother paused, as if what she previously thought had escaped her mind. “Whose room is that?” she asked, thinking Seh Lyung was pressed up against it to protect something… or someone.

                “Oh!” like she had just noticed it, Seh Lyung backed away. “It’s uh, just a practice room. Nothing special.”

                Minwoo’s brow scrunched in discontent, as if trying to decipher something. But Seh Lyung’s mother knocked the breath right out of him.

                “You still dance?” Inshi asked, her voice wavering. It just didn’t fit with the conversation, strangely.

                “You dance?” Minwoo butted in, surprised. He couldn’t comprehend Inshi’s discontent, but the fact that Seh Lyung liked dancing seemed cool enough to Minwoo.

                “No, I don’t.” Seh Lyung replied, feigning a smile. “Now, c’mon. Hyunseong-oppa made dinner.”

                “Who’s he?”

                She led her mother down the stairs, Minwoo secretly going off to find Donghyun. “A very nice boy.” Seh Lyung said, bringing her to the dining room.

                “Your boyfriend?” her mother insisted. “Is he the tall boy with the big eyes?”

                “No,” Seh Lyung frowned, pointing discreetly to the kitchen. A heavenly aroma of food wafted in the air, making their mouths water. “The one with the spiked black hair, wearing a pink cooking apron.” She smiled to herself, remembering how Hyunseong wore that when they first met because he had no idea what clothes were.

                “He’s your boyfriend?”

                Seh Lyung groaned. “No one’s my boyfriend.”

                Jeongmin magically appeared by them, as if he begged to differ. But he decided to keep his mouth shut this one time, thank goodness. Held a large stack of ivory colored china plates with silverware crossed neatly on the top. Walking to the dining table, he quickly set up for a table of nine.

                “Boy, it’s late.” Her mother chastised, hands on her hips. “Shouldn’t you have a family to get to?”

                A final plate clattered roughly on the placemat, Jeongmin dusting his hands together. “I have no family.” He said simply.

                Fighting the urge to face palm, Seh Lyung pursed her lips together. A delicate hand flew to her mother’s mouth, choking a gasp. It was one of the few things to gain Kim Inshi’s sympathy, family.

                “Oh dear, I’m so sorry.” She whispered, her tone in complete honesty.

                “It’s fine.” Jeongmin returned with a shaky smile, which almost made Seh Lyung convinced as well. “It was a long time ago.”

                Inshi reached over to lay a hand on Jeongmin’s shoulder. He looked like he was about to cry. Finally, they hugged. “Thank you, ommonim.” Jeongmin choked out, being a total drama king.

                Disgusted, Seh Lyung rolled her eyes and visited the kitchen, leaving them be.

                “What’s with the face?” Kwangmin asked, pinching her cheek.

                Youngmin hopped on the rose granite island top, his long legs swinging like pendulums. “Don’t tell me Jeongmin-hyung used the orphan card.”

                “Knew it.” Hyunseong said over the stovetop, completely immersed into getting his honey drizzle heated perfectly. “He’ll try anything.”

                “Why say that?” Seh Lyung sighed, her voice laced with fatigue. She pulled out a chair next to Kwangmin, who was ready to hear another story.

                “Well wouldn’t it make sense for your boyfriend to try getting on your mother’s good side?” Hyunseong questioned.

                “Don’t be so loud.” Seh Lyung snapped lowly. “What if she hears you?”

                “She has no idea.” Kwangmin assured, craning his long neck to the doorway. “She’s too busy trying to comfort hyung.”

                “So it goes like this,” Youngmin lifted up six fingers, three on each hand. “Minwoo is first on your mom’s good boy list.”

                “It’s because he’s cute.” Kwangmin cut in. “He’s the mother’s friend’s son style.”

                “I guess then it’s Jeongmin.” Youngmin put two fingers down. “Then Kwangmin, Hyunseong-hyung, and I are together because she doesn’t really care about us.” He clapped his hands together as if he was trying to create an explosion. “And she hates Donghyun-hyung because he ‘lives’ here.”

                “You guys really thought this through.” Seh Lyung said, eyes wide.

                “Because we love you, Seh Lyungie~”

                Who said that? Of all surprises, it as Jo Youngmin. His eyes glittered like his blond hair, his smile amile wide. It was weird; he was just a robot, but a lover robot? He wasn’t part of the original Absolute Boyfriend lineup. But was he programmed to say that, or did something compel him to do so? Again, Seh Lyung was overthinking. She laughed to herself, shaking her head.

                Dinner by all means, was exquisite. It tasted like it was made right out of a traditional western restaurant. Hyunseong cooked a tender steak with crispy baked potatoes and a honey drizzled salad. Kim Inshi was impressed, finally acknowledging Hyunseong. Afterward, his smile was so big that it could’ve outshined the crystal chandelier above them.

                And afterwards, all the boyfriends but Donghyun retreated secretly to the Jo twins house. The next day they’d have to be prepared, in case of another confrontation with Seh Lyung’s mother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

vanishedsnowflake's one shot! Minwoo!

                “Miss, your friend is here.”

                Friend? Seh Lyung’s eyebrows furred in confusion, having a hard time drinking in the word. What was a friend? It was a word seldom expressed in her house, though a word so often mentioned. She felt the door close behind her, but she didn’t dare turn around. Her fingers flew across her old burgundy hardcover book one more time. The title stuck into her mind like glue. Friendship.

                The space next to her was currently making her body shift slightly to the added weight. No one ever sat in her couch before, not even her parents, whom she begged to be read to.  And now someone was going to sit with her, and this time she didn’t even have to ask.

                “H-hi.”

                Immediately sensing the uneasiness, Seh Lyung slowly turned her head to the side in acknowledgement. It was a boy. She gaped; no one had ever entered her library and sat on her couch, much less a boy. His current position ruined his overall appearance, his legs were pinned together and his hands were clasped together as if he was a thin stick of wood. But it still couldn’t hide his face. His eyes were naturally bright, his hair perfectly tousled to the side, and his thick lips protruding in a nervous pout.

                Seh Lyung suddenly felt flushed for just evaluating a boy, and turned back to her book. “Hello.” She said quietly.

                “My name’s Minwoo,” he introduced, his voice was surprisingly high but youthful, “what’s yours?”

                “Kim Seh Lyung.” She replied slowly, noticing that he wouldn’t stare her in the eye. “Are you okay?”

                “Fine.” He squeaked, his voice cracking. “Just fine.”

                “Why are you nervous?” she asked wistfully.

                “Because.” he coughed, “I’ve never really met a girl so beautiful.”

                Seh Lyung’s breath caught in , unable to think of a witty comeback or a soft comment. She hastily got up from her seat, the burgundy book falling from her lap to the wooden floor. Minwoo followed, his eyes wide with urgency. He quickly bent down to fetch the book, Seh Lyung following. Their hands brushed against each other, and Seh Lyung pulled back like she had just touched fire.

                The boy got up and pressed the book against her palms, his head down. “I’m sorry. I’m disturbing you, aren’t I?” He murmured, guilty.

                A wave of pity washed over Seh Lyung. She wasn’t being too welcoming herself, feeling uncomfortable with having a stranger in her room. It may have been too sudden, but one look at that face and she was stolen. “No, you’re not.” She reasoned, a tentative hand reaching for his shoulder.

                Slowly, he lifted his head. Seh Lyung watched his face turning up, a grin spreading across his face. What a dazzling smile. “Really?” he replied eagerly, his eyes twinkling like stars. “Then, can we please go somewhere?

                It was all foreign to her, having company. She nodded, keeping her book close to her chest. “Sure, I know just the place.”

```

                “Wow! It’s so pretty!” Minwoo started running around the backyard like a little boy, his arms up like an airplane. He flew left and right, weaving through the orchards and blossom fences like he had never seen flowers before.

                The wind whipped Seh Lyung’s long ebony hair across her face. She pursed her lips together and spat the hair out of , trying to bear with it. What did Minwoo find so interesting about a garden? It was just a patch of flowers and dirt. Finally, Minwoo stopped running and was bouncing around a white rose bush. He was surely a tiring person, she surmised, walking over to him.

                “For you.” He blushed, holding up a white rose.

                Her eyes widened, as she accepted the token. He wasn’t supposed to pick the flowers, but she decided to make an exception for him. She twirled the flower at her fingertips, watching the white petals swirl like snowflakes. Never had she ever received a gift like this. “Why white?” she asked curiously.

                “White resembles you.” He answered simply. “You’re silent and soft-spoken. And you’re also pure and innocent. Like an angel. And it’s also a bit too early to give you a red one since we’ve just met.” He added bashfully.

                She nodded, still distracted by her thoughts. “Then generally, why give me a flower?”

                A little sound of distress escaped his lips, and he faltered back. “It’s just… a token of my appreciation.”

                “Is it really a token of appreciation,” she turned her back and dropped the flower, “or a token of obligation?”

                Minwoo adjusted the collar of his ivory blazer. “I don’t understand.”

                “I’ve never went beyond the garden,” she paused, finding the space getting smaller and smaller around her, “and all of a sudden someone says that I have a friend. Never have I met someone my age, I’ve been homeschooled, consoling only with adults.” She bit her lip. “My father must be paying you. Tell me, does he pity me? Because he can’t be around, so he decides to hire someone to do his job for him?”

                “It’s not like that—”

                “Don’t tell me you didn’t come here for money.” Seh Lyung was never allowed to speak out of turn, and all of a sudden she felt sixteen years’ worth of pent up feelings overflowing in front of this boy she had just met. “Everyone comes here for money: the teachers, the taxers, the maids, and even my mother who married out of greed.”

                “Stop!” Minwoo gritted his teeth, and pressed his palms against Seh Lyung’s shoulders to silence her. He shook his head, as he let the possible outcomes of this conversation calculate in his mind. “Yes, I can’t lie that I came here for money. But don’t think I had the intention of a job like this, especially coming here to hurt you. My father is just like yours, stony and conniving. I was forced into this thing with no idea; I thought it was just a simple internship.” He pleaded, his voice subduing to a mere whisper. “You have to believe me.”

                Without a word she ran off, back to the sanctity of her library. She double-locked the French doors and leaned against the door, her weight pressing against the frame. Hugging her knees tight and head bowed, as she felt Minwoo knocking repeatedly on the door.

                Why should she believe him? Because it was too foreign to have company? Or was this too sudden to adjust? As much as a friend Minwoo described himself as, she just couldn’t believe every word he said, no matter how much she wanted to believe.

                “Minwoo, what are you doing here?” Seh Lyung froze. Her father’s crisp voice came from outside. The knocking sounds soon ceased. “Where’s Seh Lyung?”

                “Oh, I was just locking the door. She didn’t want anyone coming in here without her permission.” Minwoo lied smoothly from the other end. Seh Lyung could just picture the feigned innocence in his face. “She’s waiting for me in the garden, actually.”

                “Ah, Seh Lyung sure is protective of her books.” Her father chuckled, almost offensively. “But while we’re alone, would you like to discuss business? It’s such a pity your father’s away on that meeting, but maybe you can take his place. It’s extremely rude of me; I should pay you for your services right now.”

                And there went a long pause, too long. Seh Lyung’s ears burned in anticipation.

                “That won’t be necessary, sir.”

                She covered . Seh Lyung could just feel her father’s infamous eyebrow rise. “Oh, really?” she could tell he was trying so hard not to be discouraged. “And what brought you to that, independent decision?”

                “Because it’s completely redundant.” He spoke with professionalism. “Though I do appreciate your offer, friendship is not an occupation.”

                “I see,” her father replied, obviously trying to bite back a sick retort, “well then, I’ll be back to my study.”

                As the heavy pair of footsteps faded away, Seh Lyung’s hands were trembling. Forcing herself to stand up, she felt the door knock again one more time. Minwoo. “Seh Lyung. He’s gone.”

                Her hands were slippery as she gripped the door handle, unlocking it, and opened it just a crack. She poked her eyes out from the tiny space. And there he was.

                Minwoo didn’t move from his spot, and was gentle enough not to force her out. A small smile grew to his face, a soft cotton-like one that was warm and inviting. His one hand was outstretched, waiting for her to take it. The other held the white rose. “I promise,” he said, his hand moving in a forward motion, “I’m not going to hurt you, because you’re my friend.”

                The door opened wider and wider. Her hand slowly reached for Minwoo’s. He didn’t move an inch, letting Seh Lyung take this step by step. Her fingers brushed over his soft palm, validating the reality. “Yes.” she answered, finally breaking away. “I promise too.”

                At the moment she didn’t know what she was promising, but she knew that Minwoo was an assurance she’d never let go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is like, 4000 words in this chapter. Also, watch outt. Because I want to make a Donghyun one shot so badlyyyy.

Question: Should I make a Boyfriend one shot complication? I mean, there's a lot floating around but only one is considered sucessful. And I'd probably use a lot of my Absolute Boyfriend one shots because only my readers here notice them.

EvrylGail: OMG MY UCC. Gosh, long time ago. I feel like reusing that video to win this Kirin Arts School badge XD Maybe that's just because I'm lazy. Thank you so much!

vanishedsnowflake: WINNERRR.

bluedragon: "Less than an hour to Sherlock" and then I wait like 33 days for the video to come out. Wasted my precious sleep >.< But SHINee, ahh. I pre-ordered their album, BEFORE I found out there's five different versions for each of the members. So now I'm going to get a random one and I really hope to get Taemin even though the cover picture is really awkward. I'll have no idea how to explain why I have a girl with a flat chest on my album, as my mother says.

Youngmin4Eva: Sorry that you didn't win my contest. I'm sure another opprotunity will come and I'll eventually make a Youngmin one shot.

Lilmisschique: I listen to Clue and Note often but I still can't differentiate the three songs by title. Oh well. That top hat, dang. But ugh, in the live performances he kept his long hair and wore the hat, he kind of looked like a vampire :(

RinaSeungMin: Sorry, my contest had no trick question or anything, my mention of SHINee's Sherlock only appeared in the author's note, not the chapter. Maybe next time~

minwoo: naee~

So did anyone watch the Hunger Games? Cabaret? mm~

~Camille