Caught

Absolute Boyfriend

                The hyung line was happily strolling through the mall, getting a well-deserved break of being perfect boyfriends. Well, they were sort of working… sort of.

                “I was thinking of bringing Seh Lyung into town tomorrow.” Hyunseong muttered to himself.

                “Count me in!” Jeongmin raised his hands, being about as loud as a banshee.

                K.Will walked out of the music store, humming to himself. Two other guys appeared, flanked at his sides like bodyguards. They both wore matching suede suits and gold striped ties. K.Will definitely looked out of place next to him; in fact K.Will looked like a criminal next to them in his leather jacket and frayed jeans. “Thank you so much,” he said, bowing at both of them. “I’ll see you in a few weeks.”

                “What’s in that store, hyungnim?” Jeongmin asked, going on his tiptoes and trying to get a better look.

                “It isn’t really a store.” K.Will shrugged, stuffing his hands in his coat pockets. “Just a company’s office that I’m working with.”

                “A company that small?” Jeongmin retorted, in almost an insulting sneer. “Why, it looks like it only fit two people—those two people!” he pointed at the two retreating men.

                Donghyun snatched him by the arm and pulled. “Stop being so rude.”

                “Sorry,” Jeongmin muttered weakly. “But c’mon, it’s not even a company, it’s an office!”

                Hyunseong was clutching a stack of packages his arms—all addressed to K.Will. “Guys, you’re supposed to be helping me carry this.” Slowly, the two got back to their senses and helped the poor guy. “But hyungnim, what’s in these?”

                “Oh, just some spare parts.” K.Will started waving his hand around as they walked back to the car, and started loading everything in the back. “We don’t want you falling apart then, eh? Like in a… fire?”

                The three both froze in unison. Jeongmin gave an are-you-kidding-me look while Hyunseong’s eyes dropped to a low look of shame. Donghyun wanted to appear cool and collected, but it couldn’t be helped as he dropped the package he was holding straight to the ground. It sounded like glass.

                “Yah, watch it!” snapped K.Will. “That’s fragile.”

                A collection of “sorry, hyungnim” echoed out between the three boys as they quickly loaded everything in the trunk. Once that was all done, Hyunseong and Jeongmin looked to Donghyun for a sense of reassurance. When nothing seemed to be flowing, they forced themselves to get in the car, where K.Will was waiting for them.

                There was an awkward silence lingering in the air, at least with the three robots.

                “So, do you guys think I’m stupid?” asked K.Will, his finger tapping impatiently against the plush steering wheel.

                “Of course not, hyungnim!” Hyunseong spluttered out, almost leaning way too far in his seat for comfort. He fiddled with the hem of the seatbelt he wore, trying to occupy his hands. “It’s just that we didn’t want you to worry.”

                K.Will laughed, a laugh that couldn’t be placed in such an uncomfortable conversation. “Trust me, 02. I worry about you guys all the time. A lot more than you think.” They were driving down the highway now, in the direction opposite of their home. “I have cameras monitoring that house 24/7 and in the past few months it’s been pretty useful.”

                “Why didn’t you say anything sooner?” Jeongmin asked, his arms crossed over his chest. He was wearing a leopard printed hoodie and a black scarf. Everyone had to admit, he had taken up most of the style gene in the group, almost against Donghyun’s fashion expertise.

                The road was clear of traffic, and they seemed to be going on an endless road for K.Will’s benefit. Was he only driving so that he could talk to them more? “I knew you guys wouldn’t let Seh Lyung get hurt,” he paused, as if trying to pick out his words appropriately. “as for 04—”

                “Please don’t shut down Minwoo.” Donghyun cut in quickly, his eyes pleading.

                K.Will looked away for the road for a few seconds in shock, trying to comprehend what he just heard. “Why would you think I’d shut down 04?”

                “I—I just thought,” biting his lip, Donghyun sat back in confusion. “I thought you would’ve if you thought Minwoo couldn’t keep up being Seh Lyung’s boyfriend.”

                “If I hadn’t programed him to be Seh Lyung’s boyfriend, I probably would’ve torn him to pieces in a heartbeat.” That got a wince from both Hyunseong and Jeongmin, who were trying to remain quiet. “But Seh Lyung’s too attached, I wouldn’t have done it even if I wanted to. And that goes for all of you.”

                “See? She so does love us.” Jeongmin boasted, more to himself than the rest of the group.

                “I’m attached to you, too.” Confessed K.Will, as he made a really sharp turn. The three robots swayed slightly to the right, and the fact that they were sitting straight made them look extra stiff. “Humans are flawed, but that’s the glory. You’ll have no idea what will happen. Like Minwoo, he changed a lot.” Incoherently, he muttered something about how he should record that in the log. “It was pretty fun, right? Everything happening all of a sudden?”

                “Not really.” Hyunseong grimaced, sticking his tongue out.

                “Some humans like that thing, spur of the moment.” They were now parking around a large ivory building, which seemed so packed that it seemed like they wouldn’t be able to find a parking spot.

                “There’s a space five meters south.” Donghyun said helpfully.

                “Thanks, 01.” With that, K.Will killed the engine and dramatically hopped out of the car, looking like he just came out of a drama. “I’ll be back, guys. Just gotta finish some business.”

                “What is this place, hyungnim?” Hyunseong asked, squinting his eyes against the blaring sunlight.

                “It’s the real headquarters of Starship.” In particular, K.Will gave a stare to Jeongmin. “You know, that place you thought was a small company.”

                Jeongmin flushed, and slunk back in his seat. “Whatever.”

                And the three were left to contemplate. While K.Will was gone, Donghyun took his place in the front seat, fiddling with the air conditioning settings. Jeongmin was adjusting the mirrors, every now and then giving a toothy smile to his reflection. And Hyunseong looked tense, almost annoyed. His eyes never left the Starship building.

                “Can you hear anything?” he said.

                “Nope.” Jeongmin replied smoothly, fixing the mirror to its original place.

                “And you don’t think that’s… weird?”

                They were parked at the end of the building, but they were close enough that they should’ve been at full earshot to whatever was inside. “Listening into other people’s conversations is rude anyway, Hyunseongie.” Donghyun shrugged, now trying to find a decent radio station.

                “I’m not trying to listen into other people’s conversations,” Hyunseong rebutted, trying to reason with his hyung. “I’m serious. Lately I haven’t been able to hear anything from far away.”

                Donghyun paused, and turned the radio down. His eyes slowly made way to Hyunseong, giving him a dubious expression. “What do you mean by that?”

                “We’re supposed to be able to hear through soundproof walls, right?” tentative, Donghyun nodded. “But I can’t even hear from the lab to the attic anymore.”

                “And when did you notice this?”

                Awkward, Hyunseong looked down and folded his hands in his lap. “Uhm… when we were in that burning building. Everything felt so numb.”

                “Now that I think about it,” Jeongmin’s voice was devoid of humor and lightheartedness. “I haven’t been able to detect people anymore. At first I thought it was just me not paying attention, but now since Hyunseong mentioned it…”

                “Do you think we’re falling apart?” Hyunseong whispered.

                Again, another hard question. Donghyun tried to remain cool, as he looked to the Starship building. What about Youngmin and Kwangmin, Minwoo? Were they affected by the fire just as much as Hyunseong and Jeongmin were? From the car mirror, he saw that K.Will had come back and was talking with one of his coworkers, just passing through the lot. Donghyun checked Jeongmin and Hyunseong, to confirm his suspicions, which they hadn’t noticed. They could no longer detect anymore. They couldn’t hear from a distance.

                “Don’t be stupid, we’re not falling apart.” Donghyun chuckled. “We’re the perfect boyfriends.”

                Donghyun looked back to the Starship building. He closed his eyes, trying to hear what was beyond the walls. The voices were faded, and were diminishing bit by bit.

                “Arraso… I know… neh…  Mr. Starship… hyungnim… the new band…"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very annoyed that the chapter didn't post up previously on Saturday. Oh well. Cheers to my 100th subscriber! Here's SungHoney's one shot!

Before reading, please note that this chapter is completely irrelevant  to the current fanfiction.

                “Hyunseong-sunbae, how are you today?” A cute mousy girl with glasses floated next to him like she was on cloud nine. She hovered next to him like an (albeit annoying) guardian angel.

                He smiled, a little uncomfortable with the unexpected attention but tried to respond as best as he could. “I’m fine, how are you?”

                The girl blushed almost marveled by the fact that he actually cared about her day. She kneaded her fingers against each other, the feeling of embarrassment flushing over her skin. “It was great!” she replied, a bit too enthusiastic. “I got high marks on my test yesterday!”

                “Oh, that’s great!” even though Hyunseong was a sweet guy, he actually didn’t care much about this girl’s test scores, the main reason was because he actually had no idea who this girl was. “Well, study hard!” he gave a little fighting sign and a small bow, shuffling inside the next classroom. 

                “Enjoying your new Kingka status?”

                The boy stiffened at the voice. Reluctant, he turned his body around and frowned at Seh Lyung. “You’re not funny.” He said bluntly, disappointed in his friend.

                “That wasn’t supposed to be a joke.” Nevertheless, she laughed anyway. She skipped to the back of the room, wanting to grab her purse. “So where are we going to eat?” Hyunseong bit his lip, watching Seh Lyung’s skirt bounce uncomfortably high up her thighs, exposing her milky legs. He wasn’t being a ert about it, but he knew other boys would be watching her.

                “I was walking by this new café my friend got a job at, maybe we could stop by there?” He tried keeping his tone even as he gripped his blazer. It was just an arm’s length; he wished he could wrap his coat around Seh Lyung’s waist to avoid guys staring at her.

                Seh Lyung nodded, brushing past the boy as she walked out of the classroom. “Sounds like a plan, let’s go! I’m hungry!”

                Now that school was over, students were crowded around the hallways. Girls were pressed up against lockers with the boys pressing up against them. Teachers were locking themselves in their rooms and pretending to be in their own little world. Most importantly, the fan girls were at their prime.

                Oh yes, Korean fan girls. They’re deadliest fan of its kind.

                “Hey, why are you so far away?” there was at least a two meter distance between Hyunseong and Seh Lyung. “Get over here!” he felt the stare of a few girls eyeing him, and it was really weird. He forced a smile, groping for Seh Lyung’s arm. “Let’s go.” He muttered, dragging her outside.

                Once the cold air hit them and they were all alone, Seh Lyung managed to squirm from the boy’s grip and comfortably linked arms with him. She warmed up as she nuzzled against his jacket. “What’s up with you? I thought you’d like the attention.”

                Hyunseong blushed as he felt her delicate skin rub up against him. “It’s just really hard to deal with; it was a really sudden change.” From being the loner in school to being one of the highest regarded boys in a matter of weeks would’ve been difficult to cope for anybody. A few weeks ago Hyunseong was a nobody, often disliked for whatever stupid rumors arose.

                The young girl nudged his friend. “Oh, c’mon. You’re the lead singer of Starship Entertainment’s first boy group. Don’t you think that’s something to be proud of?”

                “I am proud of it.” Hyunseong assured, in fact it was one of the proudest things he was happy to claim. “But sometimes it gets a little overwhelming.”

                “I guess it must be a bit bittersweet.” She noted, opening the door to the new café. She read the sign with upmost curiosity. “Coffee Friend, sounds cute.”

                “Yeah, bittersweet.” Hyunseong murmured to himself, letting his friend’s words sink in. It was definitely bittersweet, and considerably shallow of everyone else. The only reason people started to talk to him was because he was a budding idol who managed not to get lost in the dead sea of unsuccessful rookie groups. He was lucky; he was getting a second chance to redeem himself away from the meek quiet boy. But it wasn’t the attention he wanted.

                He wanted to be noticed by only one girl. The girl who noticed him when he was unnoticeable.

                “Hyunseongie!” Seh Lyung called out, already comfortable in the small booth. Only then Hyunseong realized he was standing in the middle of the doorway, staring blankly like a complete idiot while Seh Lyung had left him and found a seat. “Come sit down!”

                Shuffling none too smoothly to the seat opposite of hers, he fixated his eyes on the menu. His bright eyes peaked out from the shiny laminated paper, stealing glances at Seh Lyung. Her lips pursed out at the menu in front of her, deep in thought. Her dark hair that framed her face fell loosely like silk ribbons. It was a sight to behold, him having lunch with such a pretty girl.

                “Yah, order already.”

                Snapping out of his trance, he looked up to his dongseang. The younger one grinned mischievously at Hyunseong, obviously getting the picture. “Jeongmin,” he breathed, hoping Seh Lyung didn’t catch him staring. “stop being so rude.”

                “Not my fault that you’re so slow.” Jeongmin snickered, flipping open his order book. He clicked his pen against the paper. “Now tell me, pretty lady~” he winked at Seh Lyung. “What would you like to order?”

                Seh Lyung good-naturedly smiled back, immediately warming up to Jeongmin’s informalities. “I’ll just have an iced tea, sweetened please.”

                “Sweet, just like you.” Jeongmin flirted, enjoying himself. He glanced to Hyunseong, who was trying so hard to control himself. Hyunseong was definitely jealous, and of course Jeongmin was around to . “And you, kind sir?”

                Trying not to scoff, Hyunseong said he wanted the same as Seh Lyung.

                “Be right back!” Jeongmin replied off his shoulder, finally leaving the two to themselves.

                “He’s cute.” Seh Lyung giggled, staring off in the direction to where Jeongmin ran off to. “He’s your friend?”

                “Sort of, we met through work.” Hyunseong answered reluctantly, not liking how much Seh Lyung was enjoying Jeongmin’s company. Why of all days, that he had to work today? Damn Jeongmin and his annoyingly curly hair. “Anyways, how are you these days? I’ve been so busy with my job that we never see each other as much.”

                “It’s fine. Though, it’s pretty lonely without my lab partner.” She admitted, looking down.  “What about you?”

                “Boring.” Because she was never around.

                “Well it’s safe to say that both our lives are pretty lonely without each other.” Seh Lyung said jokingly, covering with her hand.

                “It is.” Hyunseong admitted, forcing a smile.

                Sensing the distress, Seh Lyung focused her attention on the boy. She grinned, watching the dark brown bangs fall onto his eyes. Such a shy-boy move. “What’s wrong?” she asked softly.

                Hyunseong fiddled with the hem of his uniform under the table, nervous. He tried keeping a straight face, wanting to look cool and confident in front of her. But it just didn’t seem to work out for him. “I don’t know…”

                “How do you not know what’s wrong?” Seh Lyung giggled, and her giggle was just so damn cute. It was killing him.

                “I don’t know, it’s kind of a sensitive topic.”

                “Like what, puberty?”

                “Not funny,” he pouted. He felt a weird feeling constricting in his chest, like his heart dropping. But then he felt a bizarre uplift in his stomach—maybe it was the butterflies trying to lift his heart back to its place. “I like a girl.” Hyunseong finally said.

                A pregnant pause. “Oh.” It was dead flat, as if Seh Lyung thought it would be the last possible answer he could’ve given. A frown was evident in her features, her chocolate doe eyes losing the healthy sparkle. “Well,” she tried to recover, but ended up coughing uncomfortably. “does she like you back?”

                “I don’t know.” Hyunseong lifted his head up slightly. “Do you?” he asked.  Embarrassed, he his lips, which were paper dry. Shim Hyunseong just indirectly confessed to her.

                Her eyes widened, immediately getting where this was going. Speechless, she watched his hand drag across the table, reaching for hers. She blushed a faint shade of rouge. Seh Lyung’s fingers curled slightly in anticipation, wondering what was taking so long. Hyunseong smiled slightly at her reaction, as lady luck was in his favor. Just when he was about to touch her pointer finger…

                “Drinks are here!” Jeongmin blurted, slapping down two iced teas in-between their hands.

                Hyunseong gave a “if looks could kill” glare at him, but decided not to make a scene in front of the customers. “Thank you.” He replied tersely, his eyes still fixated on Seh Lyung. She was trying so hard not to laugh.

                “I love my job.” Jeongmin laughed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ohmygah. I had all my comments replied and whatnot. Now I have to do it again.

SungHoney: Thank you! I don't normally reply to my one shot comments but I saw yours on my Hyunseong one and I want to say thank you for that too! Very moved that I moved you to tears, ahaha. I hope you liked your oneshot!

ELFyourface: Sigh, sorry about the Block Bness. I mean, I can't say anything because I don't know them, but I really don't know if they'll get anywhere. If such a big "mistake" occurs so early from their debut I don't know if it'll follow them in the future.

bluedragon: It's okay, school's been getting to me too >.< I'm taking away my AP study time for this chapter. Wah, Minwoo is my baby. I needed him to interact with cute dolls because he's cute^^ it's like how guys interact with babies and how that's cute. It's the only reason why Hello Baby is still in existence.

Lilmisschique: I'm sorry! I changed that mistake right away! I'm really far from Europe, seriously I had no idea what I was doing. But mistakes happen. What am I supposed to do now that Boyfriend is now out of reach and I can't watch amazing videos of themmm. Gah.

Anywayyyy.

How was life without asianfanfics?

And anyone in love with SHINee's new song? Let me hear a yayayayaya!

Lookie at this comment I made from long long ago.

~Camille