Like Oxygen

Absolute Boyfriend

                “Hmm.” Professor K.Will held his gaze as he watched Hyunseong pour him another cup of coffee. He took a small sip, and gave the robot a little smile. “Thank you, 02. You can go now.”

                “He’s not a servant.” Seh Lyung grabbed Hyunseong’s arm and made him sit next to her.

                It was Sunday and the Jo twins already left. Hyunseong, Seh Lyung, and Professor K.Will were the only ones home. It was just sheer luck for K.Will to narrowly avoid Jeongmin, Donghyun, and especially Minwoo this morning. Hyunseong and Seh Lyung were left to talk about the results of the sleepover they had last night. Seh Lyung kept arguing that it was uneventful, while Hyunseong begged to differ.

                “Youngmin and Kwangmin—did this strange thing with their arms!” Hyunseong got up, moving his arms back and forth in a rhythmic motion. “And then they did it with their legs!” He started moving his feet back and forth, and his whole body was popping perfectly. It looked a little strange without music, but nevertheless it was good.

                “You mean, dancing?” Professor K.Will inquired.

                “Yeah!” Hyunseong replied, his face lighting up. “I want to learn how to dance like that too, and sing!”

                K.Will chuckled lightly, and patted Hyunseong’s shoulder. “I think you already do.”

                “Then should I start singing now?” Hyunseong asked, taking in a deep breath.

                Seh Lyung quickly covered his mouth. “Why don’t you wait until the rest of the guys come back from the twins’ house?”

                Hyunseong nodded. “That’s true, girlfriend. Good idea!”

                “You know 02,” Her uncle cooed, folding away his paper. “I have many security cameras in this house. What ‘s this talk about moving in with Youngmin and Kwangmin?”

                “It’s Minwoo’s fault!” Hyunseong blurted.

                Seh Lyung sighed. Wasn’t it always Minwoo’s fault?

                “We had to make an excuse that we were poor, and Minwoo said we lived in an apartment or something and we barely have anything to eat. We wanted to make sure they didn’t know that we lived with Seh Lyung… and things got out of hand.” Hyunseong continued, making puppy eyes at Seh Lyung. “Please don’t get mad.”

                “It’s over and done with.” She shrugged.

                At that moment, Donghyun came through the front door, followed by Jeongmin and Minwoo. Donghyun looked exhausted, Jeongmin was passive, and Minwoo actually looked a bit happy. Until his eyes met Seh Lyung, his face fell.

                “What’s up, 01?” K.Will asked casually, encouraging him to sit.

                Donghyun slumped in the chair, leaning his head on the cool glass table. “Those three.” He muttered under his breath, clearly annoyed.

                “Three?” K.Will asked, putting down his paper and taking out his cellphone, ready to document any possible information that could lead to a robotic breakthrough. “Isn’t there only two? They aren’t triplets, are they?” He suddenly noticed Minwoo shyly backed away, pretending to be innocent about it. “04? Come back here.”

                “You three.” Donghyun said darkly. “Maknae line. Three-Min. Slugs. Whatever you want to call it. Their aegyo was too powerful.”

                “You make it sound like it’s some sort of evil force.” Jeongmin said, rolling his eyes. “It wasn’t that bad, really.” He insisted to his creator, and at the same time pulling Minwoo closer to him. “But yeah, this kid and those twins have power.”

                “01.” K.Will stated firmly. “You were created as a high-tech top-of-the-line bionic being. Your hands are made of steel and you have iron coursing through your body. Your intelligence could peak mine. But you’re telling me that you can’t withstand three young boys?”

                “Yes.” Donghyun confessed, defeated. “They’re too strong.”

                “You should’ve seen it!” Jeongmin said throwing his hands in the air. “Don’t believe me when I say those three were born to be together. They we’re all cute and whatever, sure. But they’re like brothers, seriously. Minwoo practically begged that he wanted to live with the twins.”

                “Hyung!” Minwoo was bashful, hiding his face.

                Hyunseong finally got up and gave a hard stare to Minwoo. “But we promised Seh Lyung to stay by her side!”

                The young boy narrowed his eyes at his elder, as he grimaced. “That’s a different case if Seh Lyung doesn’t want me by her side.”

                For some reason, Seh Lyung felt a little pang in her chest. She didn’t say she didn’t want Minwoo by her side. But still. It felt weird. She wanted to say something, but the thought of him actually going was holding her back.

                “So we made a compromise...” Donghyun trailed off awkwardly. “I know I didn’t consult you first, K.Will-hyungnim, but please let Minwoo live with Youngmin and Kwangmin. Even for a short period of time.”

                “What? You’re actually going through with this?” Hyunseong asked, appalled. He then turned to Minwoo. “Listen to your hyungs, they don’t want you to stay with the twins! What if you get caught? They’re human!”

                “Relax,” Minwoo said, forcing a smile. “I’ll be safe. And Youngminnie and Kwangminnie make me happy. Besides, I’m right next door, it isn’t like I’m moving to Jeju.”

                “Stop acting immature.” Hyunseong was concerned for Minwoo’s sudden change of heart. “You’re built for Seh Lyung and Seh Lyung only.”  

                Minwoo rolled his eyes, obviously not wanting to deal with this. “I’m going to go pack my things now…” Minwoo finally said, trotting upstairs without a single look behind.

                “Seh Lyung-ah,” it was the first time she’s heard her uncle talk to her so strictly. “Maybe you should go help Minwoo pack.” He dumped the rest of his coffee in the sink, his caffeine craving long gone.

                A low groan of protest escaped Seh Lyung’s lips. “Can’t someone else do it?”

                In unison, Donghyun, Jeongmin, and Hyunseong scrambled upstairs, each saying that they had something to do. (Oh so conveniently, at the worst time.) She felt like everyone in this house hated her. With a final plea, she trudged up the stairs, dragging her slippers along the wood.

                Minwoo didn’t have a lot of clothes to pack in the first place, considering he only went to school and back, and a couple of shirts and jeans for casual wear. He stuffed the little property he owned in a worn-out cardboard box.

                All of a sudden he felt a light tap on his shoulder, and he already knew who it was. Easy heat-detection. Minwoo forced himself to turn around. He was breathless as he watched Seh Lyung unpack his box and put all of his stuff in her black backpack. She neatly added in another spare uniform and put in a new red toothbrush. “They don’t want you to go.” He heard her say.

                “Don’t you?” he asked.

                Silent, she shook her head. She zipped up the rest of the backpack and handed it to Minwoo.

                Hesitant, he took her backpack with carefulness, and felt his hand being brushed against Seh Lyung’s. Oh, if he could just squeal in joy that their hands touched…

                But he carried on and slung the backpack over his shoulder. “You don’t want me to go?” he tried again.

                She sighed, feeling slightly guilty about this whole mess all over again. “It’s what you want, right? Remember to eat a lot, and brush your teeth three times a day.”

                Minwoo wanted to get up and hug her. But she wouldn’t like that. He wanted to say he’ll stay. But she probably wouldn’t like that either. He took one last look at Seh Lyung’s pretty face and forced himself to go downstairs. He wanted to go. He wanted to go. It’s what would make Seh Lyung happy, right? If he gave her space?

                He forced a smile as K.Will-hyung patted his back. “Come back soon, understand?”

                “Neh.” He wasn’t sure how soon he’d return, probably not anytime soon.

                Back upstairs, loneliness suddenly hit her. Seh Lyung walked down the long hallway, trying not to miss Minwoo. If she did, he would return immediately and be his normal, clingy self. She didn’t want to go downstairs if he was still there. She took a deep breath, as she knocked on the boys’ room.

                Donghyun was a little shocked, but nevertheless encouraged her inside as she entered the large room. She noticed the six beds lined up on one corner of the room, and they all looked like they’ve never been touched. The rest of the room was open spaced, and there was a large wall mirror that covered one side.

                She felt a little out of place as she sat on the floor, watching them. The three noticed her uneasiness as she sat alone, and they sat next to her. They made sure to avoid the forbidden topic of No Minwoo and decided to carry on like normal.

                “K.Will-hyung says that a lot of people our age own this,” Hyunseong started off the conversation, handing over a tiny black rectangle.

                “Oh! An iPod.” Seh Lyung quickly the MP3 and looked at the empty screen. “You didn’t put music in it yet, right?”

                Jeongmin leaned over her shoulder, his lips dangerously close to Seh Lyung’s hair, but he was so quick about it she didn’t notice. “We don’t know how.”

                She nodded, and started going through the little built-in music store, purchasing almost every song that went down the list.

                “1500 won per song?” Donghyun spat out in disbelief. “That’s a lot.”

                Seh Lyung shrugged, and she continued downloading a few more. Her family had money to burn… She clicked on a song, satisfied. She plugged it back in the dock and let everyone listen.

                Donghyun, Jeongmin, and Hyunseong bobbed their heads to the beat, engrossing themselves in the music. “Is this song your style?” they asked collectively.

                She smiled. “My favorite.”

                The song ended, but at the same time it didn’t. She was shocked when she finally noticed it wasn’t SHINee singing anymore.

                “You’re like oxygen~ but once I breathe you in, I can’t breathe you out~”

                 In perfect harmony, the three boys were singing to her. They only listened to the song once, but it was really good. Was this the power of having robot boyfriends? Real or not, nevertheless it made her feel better. Their voices were smooth like silk, and SHINee would’ve been proud of this cover.

                When their acapella version was over, she got up and hugged each of them, not able to contain her joy. The boyfriends were shocked, but nevertheless happy at her reaction. “You guys aren’t mad at me? About Minwoo?” she asked, trying to hold back her tears. 

                “Of course not,” Donghyun reached over to squeeze her hand. “It’s just natural to be a little upset.”

                “We would never get mad at you.” Hyunseong assured, patting her knee.

                “There’s only one thing to make sure of,” Jeongmin’s words were slow as he reached into his jeans pocket for a tissue. Carefully, he brushed away the tears pricking on her face. “We need to know that our girlfriend is taken care of.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WAHHH. I know you all hate Seh Lyung right now, especially because she couldn't apologize to Minwoo properly and now he's GONE. FOREVER. MWAHAHAHAAHAHA. And she's being spoiled, being sung by the hyung line, no? They can't all live with the Jo twins, they won't be able to take care of Seh Lyung! Or would you like all the six together and Seh Lyung alone?

Ham_pudding:  Well, it all started with this thing called the image of the group. Namely, Jo Kwangmin. He needs to stand out. Because apparently he's the most popular, and I guess better looking? But Youngmin and him kinda look alike... and I thought Minwoo was the most popular member... AH, forget me rambling.

miss_whatever: I know, Seh Lyung's a . LOL, please excuse my language. I have to write a three page persuasive essay by tomorrow and I'm procrastinating.

yeologist: Personally, I wouldn't mind having automatic boyfriends, but I guess Seh Lyung thinks differently, ahaha. That UFO question! I just saw it when I was looking at the comments a few days ago. I want to die of laughter XD

happyshawol: Hooked? I've never had anyone hooked on my stories, thanks :D Yes, if I was in Seh Lyung's place I would've let Jeongmin kiss me :*

ELFyourface: I know, I felt so rebelious writing the last chapter, no more good girl, haha. But she tried apologizing, I guess...

janlauricebautista: Well, I guess they're not all living with the Jo twins, ahaha~

Harumi_Inspirit: You're very happy? I'm very happy that I've made you happy!

whitelove: I love them all too!

~Camille