C1

Parallel Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In geometry, parallel lines are lines in a plane which do not meet; that is, two lines in a plane that do not intersect or touch at any point are said to be parallel, that’s what our fates seemed like to us and it wasn’t fair; it was like the universe was telling us that we couldn’t be together.

“I’m sorry,” He apologized as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, gently caressing my ear as he did so, “But this has been the best summer of my life,”

“Will you… Will you stay in touch?” I asked,

He gave me a sad smile, “It’s probably for the best that we don’t,”

“I see,” I sighed sadly,

He cupped my face gently, and pressed his forehead to mine, “Don’t be sad, I’ll always think back to this summer with a smile on my face, don’t end it with a frown,”

“I can’t help it,” I frowned gently, “I want to see you again,”

“I’m sorry,” He sighed, “I’m so sorry,”

            In the end, we both decided that maybe it was for the best as we both got into the back of our parents cars, separating from each other. We both had secrets which would make our worlds collide and crumble anyway, both of us slouched in our own cars, looking out the window as the sea view slowly grew smaller and smaller.

            At the end of their first year in High School, we had both met at the beginning of summer vacation at the beach after our parents had dragged us all the way there, with protests of wanting to spend time with our friends rather than our families

            And that was where we met, one day when a harsh downpour kept everyone else inside, didn’t stop us both from venturing out and accidently meeting on the wet sands that day, both of us soaked to the bone as we started a simple introduction with one another.

            The whole summer we spent every day together, until one day he took the first move and kissed me, it was inevitable that we would have to part eventually but right then in that moment neither of us cared. It was rebellious, new and exciting.

Neither of us thought that leaving would be the hardest part, but keeping in touch would be a lot more pain than we both thought it was worth.

But what if those parallel lines were to mutate and change from black to red? From solid to flexible, tying one of them to the other, like two people who are destined to be together attached by an invisible red string which used to be two individual parallel lines, bound from the boy’s thumb to the girl’s pinkie finger. An invisible red thread that connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstances.

And what if our secrets only brought us closer?
 


 

“What if I don’t want to move?” I asked my mother for the fifth time as I watched my father and my younger brother load the van with things from our old house,

My mother sighed, “Sara, I know you just started your second year at High School, but this is for the best,”

“Do you know how much you ruin my life?” I glared at her, “First summer vacation and now this?”

Jimin ruffled my hair as he passed, “Stop being such a spoil sport, you’re not the only one that has to leave,”

“You seem fine about it,” I snapped at him,

My dad watched as Jimin ran back into the house, with our mother trailing behind him before he placed a hand on his my shoulder, “What if I finally bought the car of your dreams?”

I blinked for a few seconds, “Really?!”

“Secret between us?” He smiled at me

I nodded before I turned around and wrapped my arms around his neck, “Thank you!”

            The happiness from the promise of a brand new car soon subsided as I was yet again forced to say goodbye to all the people I cared about, all the friends I had made over the years, just like I did that summer. We then took off in the direction of our new home, Seoul.

            I sat in the car in silence as I watched my house get smaller, I begin to get the same feeling I did that summer and I sigh heavily, why couldn’t things just be left the way they were? Why did everything have to be so damn complicated all the time?

 “Sara you know why we had to move,” Mrs Park said from the front seat, “Stop moping please,”

“Just leave her alone for now,” Mr Park suggested, “This is the second time she’s had to say an abrupt bye to people she care

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter