Ending

Bird Out Of Its Cage

Chapter 33

(Ahra’s POV)

 

I turned around, not wanting to look at Zelo who just entered the room while Hyemi left us both alone. That maknae… She did that on purpose. I only watched the sky outside the window brightening that dark room of mine.

Zelo sat on the bed, quietly. I know that he must be feeling awkward just like me, but – I don’t care to start a conversation to break that silence.

“I’m sorry about-!”

“Please don’t talk about it right now.”

Zelo then shut his mouth quickly, looking at the other side. I had a hard time trying to forget about my stepmother’s death. I had a lot to do to prepare for the funeral. I need to stay strong as the only member left in the Lee family – I don’t have time to think about this romance.

“I heard about it. I’m… really sorry for your loss.”

 

I let him continue his talk, not wanting to make it anywhere worse.

“What Hyemi told you is right. Creations… are meant to disappear one day,” I then glanced at him, “in whatever ways possible.” My tears dripped onto my cheeks and then onto the surface.

He hugged me, wanting to comfort my drowning self.

Why can’t my heart be free from this sadness? Why can’t I just fly away rather than being stuck in this awful cage?

I’m like that poor bird that just got freed but then caught into another trap – stuck in another cage.

 

“Life is interesting with its ups and downs, Ahra.” I tilted my head, wanting to see Zelo who just told me that. It was as if he could read my mind – but he couldn’t. He then smiled at me – a beatific smile, “Life would be boring without them.”

He’s once again right. Even mountains aren’t straight, but yet it is still beautiful and firmly strong.

 

After a while, Zelo let go of me and then stood, taking his leave. I was left there, still thinking about the past with my whole family. I held the frame that was sitting on the desk beside the bed.

I put my fingers wanting to touch my beautiful real mother, who gave birth to me. I then looked at my father – admiring both of them.

“What to do, mom, dad? I don’t want to hurt anyone,” I talked to the non-living picture. I wish that they could answer me – even though it would scare me to death.

“I can’t let them wait any longer. I need to tell Yongguk my true feelings,” I answered myself.

 

I ran out, wanting to find Yongguk in his room.

I already knew the answer from the start. I knew what my real feelings are. All this time, I was only afraid of hurting his feelings but then I knew that letting him wait for me, hurts him even more, knowing that I had a hard time to love him.

But it’s not only him; I’m also hurt, having those burdens hanging around on my back. I entered his room, breaking the rules of the dorm. He was there surprised to see me, entering. He probably didn’t expect it to be me anyway.

 

I closed the door, slowly. I didn’t want anyone to hear or even watch that hurtful moment. I didn’t want the others to be worried about me. And so I started –

“I’m sorry.” I bowed first in front of him. “I can’t accept-!”

“I know.”

What? He knew? I stared at him, speechless. He got up and then walked closer to me as I slowly moved back.

“You like Zelo. I knew it all along as well,” he turned away, not looking at me. My heart tightened hearing his words – even though it was just that, it still sounded painful.

 

“Please go after him.”

“A-are you okay with this?”

 

He kept quiet for a while, still not looking at me. It felt like everything stopped except the sound of my heart beating fast.

“I’m happy for Zelo and you.”

 

He turned around and gave his usual smile. My eyes tears up once again, touched by such noble words.

 

I left him and went to find Zelo.

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

“He’s outside,” Youngjae told me. I thanked him and ran outside going around the building.

I panted, tired of running. I bent to my knees, panting recklessly.

 

“Ahra? Hey, are you okay?!” Hearing Zelo’s voice made me jumped and hugged him without thinking ahead.

“Zelo! I’m sorry…,” I said, still panting.

 

“I know. It’s okay,” He pushed me away and stares into my eyes with frowned brows. “I’m okay with you being with someone you really love.”

Of course, not wanting him to get it any more wrong, I told him, “No! You got it wrong! I was about to say -,” I paused for a while and then smiled at him.

He was awaiting my unfinished words to be finished.

“I was about to say that I’m sorry that I made you wait to hear me saying I love you,” I repeated the thrilled off words and ended it with a happy face.

 

His eyes widened and then quickly kissed me, putting his lips on mine. It has been a while, isn’t it?

 

It felt like I was once again caught inside another cage. But this one… made me happy unlike the others.

 

 “I love you too.”

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

a/n: Okay… let me just put this straight, in the original story that The6mighty wrote, the idea is Zelo wanting to kill himself because of feeling unsatisfied with Ahra’s feelings. So I figured that the story was a little bit in a hurry like it was off the course – I changed it. ( . _  .)  … I don’t know what I’m feeling right now. Oh well, I hope you will enjoy the epilogue next!