Injured

Wolf School

 

 

 

Chapter 54

“What the Hell’s going on here?”

Leeteuk had shifted back and stalked towards Suho and the others standing protectively around Sehun’s sprawled body. Suho shifted out of his wolf form to meet him. Their two packs had arranged themselves facing each other, the members who had disappeared into the woods having returned to back up their packmates again.

“Heechul attacked Chen,” said Suho loud and clear. He heard a little gasp from Kai somewhere behind him. Even without knowing what they were fighting for some of his pack and Kris’s had thrown themselves into the fight without any fear. Suho pulled himself up tall.

“Since when was Chen your pack?” Eunhyuk snapped. He had his arm around Heechul, helping him stay upright. He was breathing heavily and sporting a black eye. Suho wanted to smile at the sight of him but he didn’t.

Leeteuk gave a warning growl to his packmate and ignored his question. “That’s a pretty serious accusation.”

“He’s in heat,” Suho replied. “He tried to force himself on Chen. You know they have history.”

Leeteuk finally turned to Heechul who looked down. “Is this true?”

“I-“

“Make sure you don’t lie to me, Heechul.”

The other wolf looked up with a defiant pout. “I’m sorry,” he said. “I wasn’t going to hurt him, I just couldn’t help it. It’s been so long.”

“You bastard,” growled Chanyeol.

“Chanyeol,” Suho said warningly. The other alpha was favouring one leg and looking a little shaky but there was still half a chance he would throw himself at Heechul and try to tear him apart.

Leeteuk turned back to Suho, his expression tight. “You know what heat periods are like, especially with omegas around.” He glanced at Chen who was kneeling nearby, his arms around Kris’s neck and his face buried in his fur. Tao had moved nearby to watch over them in case another fight broke out.

“He should have more control,” said Suho, “and it still doesn’t mean we shouldn’t protect him.”

Leeteuk gave a little growl under his breath. He looked like he wanted to say something else but held his tongue. “The fight is over,” he declared. “Heechul will be punished. Now go home, take care of your injured.”

He turned to walk away, his pack following his lead. Eunhyuk was still helping Heechul to walk.

“That’s it?” snapped Chanyeol. “You’re going to let him tell us what to do?”

“We have bigger concerns right now,” Suho growled back. “Learn when to let a fight go, Chanyeol.”

Baekhyun laid his hand worriedly on his lover’s arm and looked up at him imploringly. Chanyeol still looked frustrated by the whole thing but he softened a little. Sehun chose that moment to whimper softly from beneath Lay who still stood over him, one of only a few of the pack who hadn’t shifted out of his wolf form.

“Kai, Xiumin.” Suho turned to find his packmates already by his side. “Check on Kris. We need to get everyone home as quickly as possible.”

 

There was sound somewhere nearby, soft and gentle like voices purposely trying not to wake someone up. There was something warm over Kris’s body too. The last he remembered was being out in the forest. It was cold there and he wasn’t cold now so he couldn’t be outside anymore. He tried to move but his body seemed very far away from him.

“How is he?” a voice asked quietly. He recognised it. Who was it?

“Still sleeping. Lay says he’ll be fine. You should rest.” Was that Suho? Why was he here? Wait, he had been at the fight. Kris remembered seeing his distinctive white fur.

“Ok,” Tao replied reluctantly, “but wake me if anything happens.”

“Promise,” said Suho gently. “Now go and sleep, puppy.”

Kris felt his brow furrow. Why was Suho being so affectionate with his maknae? As if he was pulling himself out of deep water, Kris forced himself to wake up. He needed to know that Chen was alright. He had been pinned under Heechul’s body, he had been screaming for help…

Heavily his eyes opened on a room lit only by a lamp. He wasn’t in his bedroom like he had half expected, but in the living room instead, spread out on the couch under a blanket. He blinked a couple of times and, with great effort, tipped his head to the side. Suho was on the other couch, Chen curled up asleep on his lap. He ran his fingers soothingly over the omega’s hair, his eyes closed. Something painful went through Kris and jolted him awake.

“Chen?” he croaked. He tried to pull himself up but his body felt weak and he barely managed to move. It didn’t matter though. Suho had already heard him and sat up. The movement shifted the barely sleeping Chen and he looked around, dazed, as he woke up.

“Hey, don’t move,” said Suho. “You took quite a beating. Lay checked you over but he didn’t have the strength to heal you much.”

“Kris!” Practically whimpering, Chen threw himself down at his side and buried his face against his shoulder. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean for anyone to get hurt. I didn’t know he would be out there.”

“Shh, shh.” Kris lazily lifted a large hand and his hair. “What were you doing out there?”

Chen sniffed and looked up at him with watery eyes. “I was practicing.”

“Practicing what?”

He lowered his voice. “Shifting. I didn’t want to bother anyone so I was going out myself. I didn’t know this would happen.”

“Of course you didn’t.” Kris kissed his forehead. “It wasn’t your fault, but please let us help you next time. You don’t need to go through this alone. We’re your pack. We’re here to help you.”

Chen swallowed. “I’m sorry.”

“Stop saying that. Come here.” He lay back and opened his arms. Chen perched carefully on the edge of the couch and snuggled into him. For a few moments they held each other tightly, forgetting that Suho was even in the room until he cleared his throat.

“I should let you two get some rest.”

“Wait.” Kris pulled himself stiffly into more of a sitting position. “Was anyone else hurt?”

He sighed. “Sehun isn’t used to fighting; He has a lot of small injuries but nothing serious. Chanyeol’s leg is pretty bad, especially after carrying you back here, but he’ll recover. Luhan’s wrenched something in his shoulder but Lay said it just needs rest.”

“I’m sorry,” said Kris, “that your pack got hurt fighting for us. You didn’t have to.”

“We did,” Suho replied. “Haven’t you noticed how entangled our packs are?”

“What do you mean?”

Suho shook his head. “It’s nothing. We’ll talk about it tomorrow. Just rest for now.”

Kris thought about arguing but when he opened his mouth a yawn came out. How could he be so tired when he had already been sleeping for so long? Chen nuzzled against him and he felt warm and comfortable. Suho was right, they could talk more in the morning when he was properly awake.

“I told Suho that he could sleep here tonight,” said Chen. “Is that ok? Chanyeol couldn’t carry you any further than this, that’s why you’re on the couch, so I said him and Baek could share your bed too.”

“That’s fine.” Kris smiled and ruffled Chen’s hair. “Will you stay with me?”

“Of course.” Chen laughed. It was a tight squeeze with the two of them on the couch but Kris was quite happy to have his boyfriend lie half on top of him. He was warm and cuddly after all. Kris wrapped his arms securely around him and shut his eyes. He could hear Suho shifting on the other couch and covering himself over with a spare blanket.

Heavy with exhaustion, Kris breathed in Chen’s scent. The knowledge that he was safe and unhurt, that the rest of his pack and their friends would heal, made him feel content and sleepy. He nuzzled Chen’s hair and the next thing he knew, he was fast asleep again.