Shock

Wolf School

 

 

Chapter 41

As soon as they were back at their dorm, Chanyeol disinfected and bandaged up Chen’s arm. He did it as quickly as he could because Chen had started to shiver so hard his teeth were chattering. Despite his assurances that he was fine Chanyeol and Baekhyun soon had him bundled up in bed, trying to keep him warm. He still sniffled slightly as he buried his head against Chanyeol’s chest and let he taller boy hold him. Baekhyun snuggled into the bed too and pressed against him from behind.

A few minutes later there was a knock at the door. Chen closed his eyes tightly.

“I’ll see who it is,” said Baekhyun.

“If it’s him…” Chanyeol trailed off.

“I know,” said Baekhyun. But a few moments later he returned with a concerned looking Lay.

“Chen,” he said, sounding shocked. Chen hurried to dry his red-rimmed eyes. He felt Lay sit on the bed where Baekhyun had been before. “Kris told me what happened. He sent me to heal you.”

“We bandaged his arm,” said Chanyeol. He pulled down the covers despite Chen’s continuous shivering. “He won’t stop shaking though.”

“It’s just the shock,” Lay told them. “I can help.”

He put his hand on Chen’s arm and a few moments later the soreness of the wound started to ease. It was a few minutes, by which time Lay was lying down and curled around him, before the shaking stopped. Chanyeol Chen’s hair soothingly as he seemed to become more and more tired. Eventually, when he had fallen asleep, the others slipped out of bed and went to the kitchen to talk quietly.

“I’m sorry about all of this,” said Lay. “They wouldn’t have even been arguing if it wasn’t for me.”

“It’s not your fault,” Chanyeol assured him. “Kris should have controlled himself better.”

“They shouldn’t have been winding each other up,” Baekhyun muttered. He had his arms folded and was leaning against the counter.

“They wouldn’t have been if it wasn’t for me and Sehun.”

“Do you really love him?” asked Chanyeol baldly.

Lay looked up quickly. He was tired from healing Chen but the look in his eyes was honest and desperate. “I really do. I’m so sorry it’s caused so much trouble but I can’t help it.”

Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a little smile. “You really must love him. Don’t know why since he’s such a brat.”

“No he’s not,” Lay laughed. “It doesn’t matter though. I don’t think he wants anything to do with me anymore.”

“Why not?”

“I’ve been texting and calling him since we got caught but he’s not replying. He was okay at first but now nothing.”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Suho took his phone off him.”

“Really?”

He laughed at how hopeful Lay sounded. “Of course. He wasn’t going to let you talk to each other after what happened.”

Lay’s face fell. “Do you think he’ll ever let us see each other again?”

“He will,” said Chanyeol certainly. “He’s just being all alpha right now. You have to understand that he’s always been especially protective of Sehun. He’s the maknae after all.”

“I won’t hurt him,” said Lay quietly, picking at his nails.

“We know.” Chanyeol patted his shoulder. “Chen says you’re a good person and you’ll take care of him. That’s good enough for us.”

“You and Chen are close, huh? You really took care of him today.”

Chanyeol and his boyfriend exchanged a look. They had talked about Chen quite a few times and whose pack they wished he was in but never to anyone else.

“He feels sort of like pack,” said Baekhyun. “Maybe it’s just because we’re all living together.”

Lay nodded his head and thought for a few seconds. “I think he sees you guys the same way. He talks about you a lot.”

“I guess our packs are all mixed up.” Chanyeol sighed.

“Doesn’t help that you’re doing our maknae,” Baekhyun commented with a wry smile. Lay was surprised for a moment until he realised the other boy was just teasing him. He wished that he was better at coming up with clever retorts but before he had the chance to even open his mouth the front door opened. He looked away quickly when Suho entered the kitchen.

“Suho!” Baekhyun pushed away from the bench and stood up straight.

“Lay just came to heal Chen,” Chanyeol explained quickly. Suho glanced at Lay, who was still steadfastly staring at the floor.

“How is he?” he asked.

“He was in shock,” said Chanyeol, “but Lay calmed him down. He’s asleep now.”

Suho bit his lip and looked towards the bedrooms, as if he could see Chen through the wall and check up on him. “When he wakes up,” he said, “tell him that I’m sorry. I should have been nicer to him. He was only trying to make things better.”

“I’m sure he’ll understand,” said Baekhyun.

“Can you take a message to Kris?”

It took Lay a moment to realise that Suho was talking to him and he looked up, startled. “M-me?”

“Tell him that I’m sorry for the way I acted today. I didn’t think anyone would get hurt.”

Lay nodded. “O-okay.”

Suho looked at him for a moment longer. He opened his mouth but closed it again without saying anything. He sighed.

“I should go,” he said. “Tell Chen I came to see him.”

“We will.”

It wasn’t until the front door had shut again behind Suho that the tension started to leave the room. Chanyeol blew out his cheeks and slumped back against the bench. “God, I can’t wait until all of this is over and everyone can just be friends again.”

Baekhyun came over to his boyfriend, lifted his arm and snuggled himself under it. Lay felt a pang in his heart at how easily affectionate they could be with each other. He wished that could be him and Sehun.

“I should go,” he said. “Call me if Chen needs anything.”

“We will,” Bakhyun promised with a friendly smile. “Thanks for coming.”

Lay left with a little smile. Even though nothing had changed he felt strangely happier. Maybe it was just because he knew Sehun hadn’t given up on them. Or maybe it was because Suho hadn’t torn him apart on sight. Either way, he felt a little better than the day before.

 

Kyungsoo had left Xiumin babysitting Sehun, since he wasn’t trusted to be unsupervised apparently, and went shopping. Kai had a late dance practice for a big performance otherwise Kyungsoo might have invited him along. They were on speaking terms after all since he felt so bad about what he had done to Baekhyun that it seemed a little wrong of him to judge Kai’s indiscretions.  Still, he kept remembering that kiss and it stopped him from really forgiving his ex.

Just as he was about to turn the corner, hands weighed down with shopping bags, Kyungsoo heard a familiar voice up ahead. He froze, his heart suddenly jumping into his throat. Reluctantly he peaked around the corner to see Kai and Taemin standing together.

“I just think it’s for the best,” Kai was saying. Taemin looked at him sadly, not even trying to hide his feelings.

“Are you sure?” he asked so softly that Kyungsoo could barely hear.

Kai visibly swallowed and nodded. “I’ll always love you,” he said, “but you left and I moved on.”

“But when we kissed…”

“I’m sorry,” Kai interrupted. “I think it’s better this way. We were always kind of messy, let’s be honest.”

“But you’re my best friend.” Taemin bit his lip and Kyungsoo could see his eyes shining. He almost felt sorry for him but he hoped that Kai didn’t.

“You’re mine too,” said Kai. “Maybe one day we can be friends again but I have to think about Kyungsoo right now.”

Taemin sighed heavily and seemed to give up. Kyungsoo held his breath as he watched Kai wrap his arms around his ex and hug him tightly. Taemin snuggled against him and looped his arms loosely around his waist.

They stayed like that for a long time, until Kyungsoo started to feel nervous that Kai might change his mind or he’d be forced to see them kiss again.

“He better never hurt you,” Taemin said sadly, and just a little moodily.

“He won’t,” Kai replied with certainty. “I’m sorry, Taemin.” He eased the other boy off his shoulder and tenderly kissed his forehead. “I should get going.”

Taemin nodded and took a step back.

“I’ll see you around, okay?”

He nodded again but didn’t look up. “Goodbye Jongin.”

Kai looked at him sadly for a moment and then quietly answered, “Bye Taemin.”

Quickly, before he was caught, Kyungsoo scurried away. He hid behind a wall as Kai passed by and headed back to their dorm and then followed after him, replaying what he had just witnessed over and over.

 

 

Oh my God, Exodus is almost out. Let's all get excited!!!