Nightmares

Wolf School

 

I swear there's only going to be about 2 or 3 more chapters. Sorry this took over a week to do. I hadn't realised.

How about some comments on how you think this will end?

 

 

Chapter 51

Baekhyun followed his boyfriend’s gaze straight to where Chen was snuggled up on Kris’ lap. It wasn’t that he wasn’t having a good time at the party but Chanyeol wasn’t exactly fully focussed. At least, not on him.

“Channie,” he said, snuggling closer to his side.

“Mmm?” He didn’t look.

Baekhyun sighed heavily. “Hey, can you look at me at least?”

His boyfriend turned to him in surprise at his tone. “What’s wrong?”

“What’s wrong?” His eyes went wide and his bottom lip started to stick out. “You can’t take your eyes off Chen and Kris, that’s what.”

“I just want to make sure he’s ok, that’s all.”

“He’s fine, just look at him. He hasn’t stopped smiling all night.”

“I know but…”

“Look.” Baekhyun shifted so he was sitting more upright and turned to face Chanyeol. “I love Chen too and I want him to be in our pack but it’s his choice. You can’t just go all alpha male about it.”

“But I thought you liked it when I go all alpha male.” His voice dropped low and his hands slipped to Baekhyun’s hips, tugging him closer. It took quite some effort for Baekhyun to think past the sudden heat in his body.

“I do,” he admitted quietly, “but not when it’s directed at someone else.”

“Baby, don’t be mad at me.” Chanyeol used his cutest expression and ducked his head down to catch Bakehuyn’s eye and make him look up. He knew he couldn’t resist Chanyeol’s puppy eyes.

“I’m not mad,” Baekhyun whined. “I’m jealous.”

“What?” Chanyeol didn’t mean to laugh but the sound somehow escaped him anyway. Baekhyun shifted, disgruntled. “You never get jealous.”

“Well I am now. You’re ignoring me.”

“Oh, baby, you’re so cute.” Chanyeol was smiling but he changed his expression into something more serious when he wrapped his arms around Baekhyun and pulled him onto his lap. “Don’t worry. You know I love you.”

“I know.” Baekhyun pouted. “I love you too and Chen is great but you’re not his alpha. I’m sure Kris will take care of him.”

“I know. I just worry he’s going to move out. Our packs aren’t exactly super friendly right now. I don’t want to lose a friend over it.”

Baekhyun rubbed a hand over his chest, soothing him. He kissed his full mouth quickly. “That won’t happen. I’m sure everything will be fine.”

Chanyeol smiled and guided his head down onto his shoulder so he could hold him more closely. He nuzzled his face into Baekhyun’s hair and closed his eyes. His boyfriend’s heart beat next to his and he hoped he was right. Having such close friends in another pack just didn’t feel right to him, not when it seemed obvious that they should all be together. But he wasn’t alpha and it wasn’t his call.

 

The party didn’t end until late and Suho’s pack was amongst the last to leave. He was pretty tired himself but hadn’t wanted to leave Sehun there without supervision, and of course Sehun hadn’t wanted to leave until he absolutely had to.

“Can’t I stay here,” Sehun pouted, his voice low enough that only Lay could hear him. His boyfriend laughed fondly and edged a little closer. Sehun’s hands were on his hips and Lay’s rested over his arms.

“You know that would give Suho a heart attack.”

“Not like we haven’t already slept together.”

“And I’m sure that image will scar him for life.”

Sehun sighed. “He let me come here and be with you though. Maybe he would let me stay.”

Lay risked giving a quick, chaste kiss. “Let’s not push things. He’s only just coming around to the idea of us and I don’t want to make things worse.”

Sehun was frowning but he knew his hyung was just being sensible. It had driven him crazy being able to be around him all night without being able to just grab him and drag him off somewhere secret though. They had been getting so serious and then everything had been stopped so abruptly.

Lay reached out to his fingers over his cheek. “Don’t worry, baby. I’m sure things will get better from now. We just have to behave ourselves.”

The maknae grumbled. That was easier said than done. Just then Suho and the rest of the pack came to join them in the corridor, reading to leave. He hugged Lay quickly, so tightly that his hyung thought he might bruise something.

“I don’t want to go.”

“I know, baby. I don’t want you to go either. It won’t be forever though.”

“Sehun?”

They both looked up to see Chanyeol watching them, Baekhyun tucked under his arm. He motioned for Sehun to come and join them with a glance towards Suho. Reluctantly, Sehun said goodbye once more, kissed Lay while he still had the chance, and went to his packmates.

“Don’t look so grumpy,” said Baekhyun. “This was a huge step for Suho. You two will be back together in no time.”

“You think so?”

“Of course. You better let Suho know you’re thankful he let you come.”

Sehun started to smile. “I will.”

 

Suho hovered just inside the door. Lay passed by him as he stood there, having managed to pry himself away from Sehun. That meant they would be able to leave as soon as Kai and Kyungsoo returned. There was something he had to do first though.

“Xiumin?” he called softly when the elder boy came close enough to hear. His hand slipped from Luhan’s when he heard his alpha’s voice. He went over to him with wide eyes, Luhan hovering close behind.

“Sorry we didn’t get a chance to talk tonight,” said Suho. He had avoided him actually, thinking over what he wanted to say but now he knew. He stepped forward and wrapped the surprised Xiumin in a warm embrace.

“You can come home whenever you want, you know.”

“I know,” Xiumin replied slipping out of his grip, “but I can’t leave Luhan. I already told you that.”

Suho shook his head. “I know. I’m not asking you to choose.”

“You mean…?”

“You can come home anytime you want… and you can be with Luhan.”

Xiumin practically squeaked with excitement and threw his arms around Suho’s neck. Luhan looked on with furrowed eyebrows.

“Thank you so much,” said Xiumin to a laughing Suho. “You’re the best.”

It was then that Kai and Kyungsoo stumbled over. They had both been dancing most of the night and drinking to cool themselves down after that. It was safe to say that Kai was a little worse for wear. He leant happily but heavily on Kyungsoo who laughed as he helped him along.

“Well, I suppose I should help get this idiot home.”

Kai smiled and waved as he passed by, knowing they were talking about him.

“I’ll see you soon.”

Xiumin nodded, still smiling brightly. He turned around as soon as Suho was out the door and threw himself at Luhan, excited to tell him what had happened.

 

It had been a long day and Chen had had a fair amount to drink. That was probably why he fell asleep so quickly, wrapped up in Kris’ arms. It was probably why he also kept having strange dreams. One minute he was pinned under his boyfriend’s body, kisses being trailed down his neck, the next he was running wild through the trees. His breath came hard, all four paws slamming into the ground, and yet it felt like he was flying. His heart beat too fast.

Then something tangled around his back legs trying to hold him back. He yelped and tugged but he couldn’t escape. Something wrapped around his waist. He bucked wildly, slashing out with claws and teeth at an unseen enemy.

“Chen! Chen, calm down.”

He yelped. His claws dug into something and he heard Kris’ voice as he shouted. His brain started to wake up and tell him that he wasn’t actually in his wolf form but he still didn’t seem to have control. He thrashed against the strong arms holding him.

“What’s going on? , Chen.”

New hands grabbed him and he lunged up, pushing Luhan. There was a bang as he collided with the nightstand and fell down.

“Luhan!”

Chen came to his senses crouching on the edge of the bed. He was panting heavily and a wave of nausea passed over him. Luhan was pulling himself into a sitting position, grimacing as he massaged his back. Xiumin dropped down beside him with a panicked look in his eyes.

“Are you ok?”

“Luhan, I’m so sorry.” Chen wanted to go to him but he was frozen. He felt Kris move behind him and when he looked down he saw the long scratch on his arm. He screwed his eyes tightly shut, not wanting to look at the pain he had caused. “I’m so sorry.”

“Shh, it’s ok,” Kris soothed. He rubbed his hand on his back. “What were you dreaming about? Were you a wolf?”

Chen nodded tightly.

“Oh, baby, it’s ok. You’re still getting used to shifting, that’s all.”

He shook his head and tensed up when Kris pulled him close. He was too busy shaking to even start crying yet. He listened to Xiumin help Luhan up from the floor and lead him out of the room, still keeping his eyes closed. He had to learn to control this, to find the balance between controlling it and giving it the freedom it needed. He hid his face in Kris’ shoulder and determined to fix the problem before anyone else got hurt.