Scared

Wolf School

 

 

Chapter 43

Luhan was practically trembling when he explained to Kris in one long breath with many apologies. Xiumin, still red-eyed from crying all the way there and carrying two bags of whatever possessions he had managed to grab was standing behind him. He had his head lowered despondently, waiting for Kris to kick Luhan out too. Where would they go then? Luhan had said Chen would let them stay with him but he wasn’t so sure Chanyeol and Baekhyun would take the risk of harbouring them. Maybe for one night but no longer than that.

Kris looked at them for a long time after Luhan finished speaking until he couldn’t stand it anymore. “Please, say something,” begged Luhan.

“I can’t believe you lied to me too,” said Kris in a quiet voice.

“I didn’t mean to. You know that.”

“Take him to your room,” said Kris. “Then we need to talk.”

Xiumin’s head shot up in surprise.

“Oh, Kris, thank you. Thank you so much,” said Luhan. He grabbed his partner’s hand and dragged him to his room. Tao was in the shower by the sounds of things so they would have a little while before they had to explain to anyone else. At least Lay should be on their side.

“I told you he wouldn’t make us homeless,” said Luhan as he gripped his hands tightly and kissed him.

“He didn’t exactly sound happy about it.”

“Well, happy might be asking a bit much but this is a start, right? Don’t worry, I’ll talk to him.”

He kissed Xiumin again and told him to rest before hurrying back out. He didn’t want to keep Kris waiting. He found him sitting at the kitchen table, waiting for him.

“Sit down,” he ordered. Luhan did as he was told.

“Kris, I’m…”

“Don’t talk. Just listen, ok? I’m not happy about this. I don’t like being lied to by my own pack mates. You should have come to me sooner, the same as Lay, but you didn’t so this is how things are. I know you’ve been hurt in the past.”

Luhan lowered his head and tried not to think of the horrible ex he had lost his ity to who had just been doing it to say he had slept with a wolf.

“Do you really think Xiumin is worth it?”

“I love him more than anything,” said Luhan sincerely. “I never thought I would trust anyone like that again but he just makes me feel like none of that bad stuff even happened. I’ve never been more sure of anything. You know I wouldn’t do something like this if I wasn’t certain.”

Kris looked at him for a long moment but could see nothing but honesty in his eyes. He sighed. “Fine, he can stay here for a while.”

“Really?”

“I get the feeling that if I said no you would follow him straight out the door and I’m not about to let you move in with a bunch of packless wolves.” He glanced Luhan up and down. “They’d eat the two of you right up.”

Luhan ignored the insult because he wasn’t entirely certain it was untrue. He at least knew that he didn’t want Xiumin in that situation. He looked so young and vulnerable. They both did.

“Besides,” he continued, looking down at the table, “after what I did to Chen I really don’t want anymore fighting. You should go and be with Xiumin. He must be upset about what happened. I’ll explain it to the others.”

“Thank you so much, Kris.” Luhan stood and Kris waved a dismissive hand at him. Within seconds he was back in his room and wrapping himself around Xiumin who was sobbing softly.

“Baby, it’s going to be ok,” he said. He gently rocked him and his hair. “Kris says you can stay. He doesn’t want any more fighting or for us to leave so he said you can stay.”

Xiumin sniffled and raised his head a bit. “Really?”

“Really. And I’m sure Suho will come around too once he’s calmed down.”

He buried his face against Luhan’s shoulder. He didn’t hold out much hope for that. At least he had a bed for the night though. And Luhan. He still had him too.

 

The next day was Saturday and Xiumin didn’t dare leave the bedroom. Tao had helpfully slept on the couch so he and Luhan could have some privacy and they stayed in bed even when their tummies were both rumbling from hunger. Despite the discomfort Xiumin really didn’t want to have to get up and face anyone.

Luhan understood. He kissed him, took a deep breath and went to make them both some breakfast. Xiumin slipped out of bed while he waited and pulled on some proper clothes. He heard the door open just as he pulled his shirt on and jumped when he realised it was Kris and not Luhan.

“I need to have a word with you,” he said.

Xiumin’s throat went dry and he dropped onto the bed at Kris’s gesture. The alpha sat beside him. “I care about Luhan a lot,” he said, “and I don’t want to see him get hurt again.”

“I won’t hurt him,” Xiumin promised.

“His ex treated him badly. I’m hoping you understand what will happen if you ever treat him anything less than perfect.”

“I know,” said Xiumin. “He told me about his ex. I wouldn’t ever hurt him like that.”

“Good.” Kris squeezed his shoulder and stood up. “Make sure it stays that way.”

 

Just past midday there was a knock at the door and Kris opened, his heart almost stopping. “Chen!”

At the sound of his name Chen lowered his head and pressed closer against Baekhyun. Chanyeol stepped protectively in front of both of them. He irritated Kris but he held his tongue.

“We heard about Xiumin and Luhan. Are they here?” asked Chanyeol.

“They are.”

“Can we see them?”

Kris tried to look past him but Chen was stubbornly avoiding his gaze. He was hardly going to turn them away when it was the only chance he had to get Chen back in his home.

“Come in,” he said. “They’re in Luhan’s room.”

The three went in, Chanyeol managing to keep himself inbetween kris and the others with a hand falling to Chen’s back to guide him in. Kris felt his shoulders stiffen at the way the other wolf was casually touching his boyfriend, acting so protective over him. Baekhyun glanced back and caught Kris’s expression. He looked away quickly and Kris folded his arms as he watched them enter Luhan’s room.

Xiumin looked up in alarm and shrank back a little at the sight of his two pack mates. Or were they ex pack mates now? He needn’t have worried.

“Oh. Minnie,” said Baekhyun dropping down beside him and wrapping his arms around him. “Why did you lie to us?”

“I… I just didn’t…”

“I asked you if anything was going on and you said no.” Baekhyun looked hurt. “You could have trusted me.”

“It was better you didn’t know. Then you couldn’t get in trouble for it.”

Baekhyun gave a frustrated sigh and hugged him again.

“Aren’t you mad at me?” he asked.

“We just want everyone to be happy,” said Chanyeol. He joined the hug, Xiumin disappearing between the two of them. “If Baek had been in another pack I would have done the same thing.”

“Really?” Baekhyun raised his head looking a little excited at the idea.

“Of course, baby.”

Chen sat by Luhan and leant against him. “I’m glad there aren’t any more secrets,” he said quietly.

Luhan ignored his words to reach out and tentatively touch his bandaged arm. “Is your arm ok?”

“It’s a little sore,” he said, “but it’s getting better.”

“Kris didn’t mean it, you know?  He would never hurt you on purpose.”

“I know,” whispered Chen, “but I can’t think of him without remembering what happened and it… it scares me. I’m sick of people hurting me.”

“Oh, Chen Chen.” Luhan ran his hands through his hair and pulled him close. For a few minutes they stayed like that while Chanyeol promised to talk to Suho about forgiving Xiumin. It wasn’t long before it was time to leave and they said their goodbyes, leaving XIumin looking a little happier than when they walked in.

“Chen?” said Kris as they tried to leave. “Can we talk?”

“Not now,” sighed Chen. “Can we just… leave it for now?”

“I’m sorry. I never meant to hurt you.”

“Kris, please…”

“It was an accident. Just talk to me.” He stepped forward and reached out for his boyfriend but Chanyeol was there, his arm around Chen as he eased him away.

“He said not now.”

Kris paused. The tension in the room grew as the two big wolves stared each other down. Chen looked back and forth between the two of them and felt himself begin to shake.

“Chanyeol,” said Baekhyun. He took a hold of his arm gently. “Can we go home please?”

“Of course. We’re leaving right now.”

Chen let himself be led away by his friends, glad that Kris didn’t protest anymore. He did glance back over his shoulder once though and caught Kris looking at him. Their eyes met for a second and he tipped his head to the side apologetically. Chnayeol’s hand slipped into his when he realised that he had paused and Chen quickly looked away with a blush.

 

 

 

Sorry this took a little while. I got too into Return of the Xiuharem. Hopefully this makes up for it a little.

xoxo