Choices

Wolf School

Chapter 26

Kai stood at the top of the stairs, taking a deep breath and trying to calm his nerves. It was earlier than he wanted to be up even though he hadn’t drank much at the party the night before. It had been hard to sleep though, even with Kyungsoo curled up against him. In fact, that made it worse.

His mind had been full of Taemin, full of the way he kissed him and all his old feelings had come flooding back. Full of guilt. He should have known this would happen. He should have never have tried to move on with Kyungsoo before he really sorted out his feelings for his ex.

Nobody had seen him talking to Taemin luckily. That meant he hadn’t had to talk about it yet. The longer he left it the worse it would be though. He knew that and yet here he was visiting Taemin while Kyungsoo was in the shower and couldn’t ask him where he was going. He took another deep breath and debated whether or not he should just go home.

The door opened and Taemin stepped out. His face lit up at the sight of Kai who looked down guiltily. Taemin hurried over to him.

“Thank you for coming. I’m sorry I freaked you out last night.”

Kai shook his head. “It’s ok.”

“Do you want to spend some time together today?” Taemin asked hopefully. It would have been cute if it didn’t make Kai feel so horrible.

“Look, Taemin, there’s something I have to tell you.”

“What?”

Kai’s mouth was dry. How had they ended up here? In their old school they had been best friends, inseparable even though Taemin was in the year above him. Maybe it was because they were both wolves in an otherwise normal school. Maybe it was because they both loved to dance. Kai had always thought Taemin was the only person who truly understood and accepted him for who he was.

When Taemin got into this school on a scholarship for his dancing Kai had worried they would be separated. He had been hurt when Taemin joined a pack so quickly and even though they were nice to him he knew he would never feel like they could be his pack too. The more time Taemin spent with his knew pack the worse it became but at least it meant Kai could spend time visiting the school. That was how he met Sehun who was already promised a place in the Exo pack when he joined the school. Kai had liked them. He started spending more time with them, especially Sehun, and less with Taemin. They promised him a place in their pack if he got into the school. He did, on the same scholarship as Taemin but that happened later.

First Taemin got mad at him for not joining the Shinee pack and they argued. And then Taemin confessed. Kai couldn’t believe it. He didn’t even think twice about admitting his feelings for his best friend. Things were perfect for a while, until Taemin broke up with him. Kai thought it was because he wouldn’t switch and join Shinee’s pack but eventually Taemin admitted that Exo suited him better. In a week they had broken up and Taemin had disappeared to Japan. If Kyungsoo hadn’t been there to pick up the pieces…

“Kai?” Taemin took his ex by the hand and smiled at him. “Are you ok?”

Kai swallowed and nodded. “I’m fine,” he said. “It’s just… there’s someone else.”

Taemin froze. “What do you mean?”

“I’m with someone,” he whispered.

Anger flashed across his partner’s face, quickly followed by a sad look that made him feel guilty again.

“Who?”

“Kyungsoo hyung.”

Taemin dropped his hand and took a step back. “Kyungsoo? Are you serious?”

He nodded.

“I told you he wanted you. All those times you said you were just friends and he was just a good hyung who took care of everyone like that. I saw how he looked at you!”

“Taem, please.”

“I can’t believe this. I bet he was thrilled when we broke up. How long did it take him to make a move on you?”

Taemin was ranting now and Kai looked down. Kyungsoo had liked him for a while, he knew that, but he hadn’t made Kai do anything. He had taken care of him, like he always did.

“It’s not like that,” he sadi softly.

“You said you never slept with him.” Taemin’s gaze was uncharacteristically cold now. “Was that a lie?”

“No, you told me not to so I didn’t.”

“And now?”

“We broke up, Taemin. It was your idea.”

“You didn’t have to go running to the first person who wanted you. I didn’t sleep with anyone else. My pack told me I could but I didn’t.”

“Well, good for you but it’s not the same. I was hurt. You gave me all this bull about breaking up being the right thing to do and then wouldn’t speak to me.”

“I was trying to do the right thing!”  Tears shone in Taemin’s eyes now and he sniffed loudly. “I thought it was the right thing, that we would have to at some point and it would hurt less now and… I messed up, ok?”

He had messed up. Kai could see what he was doing but it had still hurt at the time. Maybe if Kyungsoo hadn’t been around then he would have waited for him. He definitely would have been in bed with him by now.

“I’m sorry,” said Kai, “but I’m with him now.” He started to turn away but froze on the top stair at Taemin’s voice.

“Did you tell him about last night?”

Kai spun around. “Please don’t.”

“Why shouldn’t I?”

Desperately, Kai shook his head. “Because you’re not like that.”

Taemin wavered for a second. “Just leave me alone,” he said eventually. He turned quickly and hurried back to his dorm, slamming the door on Kai’s voice as he called him back.

 

Chen was in a blissful mood as he snuggled under Kris’s arm on the way to the bubble tea shop. Kris had promised to treat him and he wasn’t about to argue with that. Besides, it was the first time he had been out since the attack.

They turned the corner to the shop when he spotted Jiho up ahead, coming towards them. Kris’s grip tightened on his shoulder.

“What’s wrong?” He tipped his head to the side, wondering why Kris was staring daggers at the other boy. Did they know each other from somewhere?

“Wait here.” He kissed Chen’s head and walked away before he could say anything. He headed straight for Jiho who stopped in surprise but quickly pulled himself back together. Kris stood up straight, using his full height to intimidate him. Curious about what was being said, Chen crept forward until he was within earshot.

“I don’t know what you have to do with it but stay away from him,” Kris ordered.

“I didn’t touch your boyfriend,” Jiho replied coolly. Chen was almost impressed.

“Don’t act innocent, Zico. I know your reputation and everyone knows why you were kicked out of school so don’t say I have no reason to be suspicious. My pack mate saw you with Chen right before he got hurt.”

Chen’s mouth dropped open. Jiho was Zico? He had heard about him and about how much trouble his pack caused. Everyone said it was because their alpha was practically a maknae in their pack but things had been worse since he was expelled. Chen had the bruises to prove it. He shivered at the memory of the Block B pack members standing over him. They had been telling him to stay away from their leader but he hadn’t understood until now.

“Kris!” He hurried forward, clinging to his arm and trying to pull him away. “It wasn’t him.”

Kris growled. “How do you know? You said you didn’t see them.”

Chen looked away guiltily. “I lied.”

“Why?”

“Because I didn’t want to cause any more trouble.” Really he just wanted everyone to get along and for that to be an end to it.

“So who was it then?”

Chen bit his lip. He glanced at Zico who was looking at him almost blankly, not giving anything away. He shifted uncomfortably.

“Baby, please,” said Kris more softly.

“It was Kyung,” Chen sighed, “and Jihoon.”  He shrank into Kris’s side.

“So this did have something to do with you?” he accused Zico.

The other alpha sighed. “I didn’t tell them to.” He gave Chen an apologetic look. “They just saw me talking to him the other day and got jealous.”

“That’s it?” Kris sounded shocked.

“They told me to stay away from him,” Chen pointed out.

“They’re insecure since I was separated from them. Your pack would be the same without you.”

Kris snorted. “They wouldn’t go around hurting other people like that.”

“He was in heat,” Zico pointed out with a raised eyebrow. “It got them more worked up than usual. You should keep an eye on him when he’s in that state.”

Kris growl threateningly and it was only then that Chen noticed people had started to cross the street to avoid them. He looked down, embarrassed.

“You should worry about your own pack mates a little more and stop bothering mine.”

“No people.” Zico shoved his hands in his pockets and shrugged.

“And I want Kyung and Jihoon punished.”

“They already have been.” Zico had clearly decided that he had had enough of this conversation and brushed past them. “Just wait until you see them on Monday.”

 

 

AN: This is getting long and I think I need a break from it so I'm probably going to start something else soon. I have an idea for something Mamaverse but Ii don't want anything that will get too long. I get carried away with ideas sometimes. (As shown in this story)