XXXVIII.

Baby Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Time goes faster, things happen.

Taking it as it comes is apart of growing.

Growing closer, or growing apart?

       Time went by fast after that; Taemin and Suyeon officially had moved in together at the end of the summer (Key had to assist Onew in breathing excerises when Taemin went to ask) and school just flew by and the days blended together. Soon, Taemin was going into his senior year with the rest of his friend group and Suyeon her junior year. They were still dating and having a very healthy relationship, despite the spats that happened since moving in together. Hyeonwoo was now six and a half, hitting a growth spurt over the past summer and becoming one of the tallest in his class. Which made it difficult for Taemin to pick him up, but Hyeonwoo would whine and complain and beg for his 'Daddy' to do so with his infamous cuteness that only seemed to get better with his age. In the end, Taemin was quite a pushover so he did bend over and pick him up.

    It was Taemin's turn to pick him up from daycare, and was almost toppled over when Hyeonwoo shrieked and started climbing up Taemin's leg, demanding to be held. Granny Byun laughed at the gangly child clinging to the equally as gangly 24 year old. 

"Ah, Taemin, do you mind?" The old woman spoke up before Taemin could turn around to leave. He glanced over. She was gesturing to the small table that was all too familiar to him. 

   "What did I do?" 

His question went unanswered as she went straight to the point.  "So your anniversary is coming up, if I remember correctly?"

"Oh, yeah, two years. Wow, hard to believe huh?" He sighed, not believing that only two years ago he had met the Chois. He didn't regret a single moment, and was honestly looking forward to spending a lot more time with them... He hoped.

Granny Byun nodded, smilling in a knowing way, "Yes yes, it's quite an accomplishment. Any special plans, perchance?"

His stomach flipped. "Welll..." He looked around the room sheepishly, desperate to avoid eye contact. He had seriously considered this plan, but had no idea if it was really a good idea or not.

        "Oh?" She urged, and Taemin decided if he was going to tell anyone, it'd have to be her. Granny Byun had been a sort of mentor and a major help in their relationship, especially through the many spats the two had.

"Do you think it's too soon to.... you know?" He hinted. Saying the words might make it too real and his heart was already sped up a bit too much at the prospect of actually going through with this idea.

       A greyed eyebrow was raised, "No, I don't know, why don't you enlighten me, Taemin?"

"I want to marry her." The words stumbled out of his mouth before he could even filter it. He gapped at the older woman, feeling his face burn and not even caring that Hyeonwoo was probably stretching out the fabric of his shirt. 

      Granny Byun didn't even bat an eyelash before saying, "Oh. Well no, go on and propose." She waved him off, as if telling him to do so at this very moment.

"I don't have even have a ring," Taemin admitted, "Or the permission of Onew and her family."

"That's a lot of people to get permission from."

     A burdened sigh fell from the young man's mouth, "Yeah, but they're all important to her, and I wouldn't feel right asking her without their approval. But.." He smiled,  "I've got one person checked off besides Hyeonwoo now."

"And who's that?" She asked, looking up from the papers she was putting away in her bag.

Taemin's response was immediate, "You! You've helped us so much, Granny Byun, we can't begin to repay you."

A fond smile crept up on the old woman's face, and she patted Taemin on the shoulder in affection. "You can repay me by getting that dimpled friend of yours back here with the kids. Baekhyun's been begging me to let him come in and help him with music, and the kids have been asking about him."

Taemin let out a soft laugh, remembering when Yixing came along and absolutely fell in love with the kids in Hyeonwoo's class, as well as latching on to Baekhyun's grandmother, as she reminded him of his own that had passed while he was young. "Gotcha. Thanks Granny Byun! I won't take up much more of your time, see you later!" He adjusted the wiggling six year old in his arms, smiling and waving as he left so the grandmother could finish packing up the classroom.

"Any time sweetie!" She called back, chuckling as she watched the now familiar young boy duo bounce through the door and out of sight. "He really is ready to be more than a father..." She said to herself, before going about her business and cleaning the board before she left.


Dying cat noises were heard in Onew's apartment, startling all but one member of the old time friend group. 

         "Aaaaaaaw they're back after a year!!" Key cooed, patting Onew's back as the latter continued to make the disturbing noises. Jonghyun slowly scooted away from Onew, wide eyes and muttering, "Oh my god what if he actually dies".

"Shut the hELL UP YOU WANT TO DO WHAT TO HER?" Onew finally screeched at the youngest, who was watching the scene with wide eyes. Well, he had had a better plan about how to go about this, which involved just texting them and avoiding the chaos, but Taemin had realized that it would 

Taemin gulped, stuttering his request again,"I-i want to marry S-suyeon."

    "You're ting us." Jonghyun said, leaning forward. Taemin shook his head furiously. 

"I'm not!" He insisted.

        "Well damn." 

"Look Byun I've got your grandmother's approval already, don't make this difficult." Taemin glared at the now blonde, who just lazily grinned back at him.

"I mean I'm all for it, you make Suyeon and Hyeonwoo happy, so why not?" Baekhyun relented, giving his approval. 

     "Key?" The youngest looked at him in earnest. Key pursed his lips in thought, leaving the room silent and waiting his answer.

After a couple of minutes, the fashionista broke out into a smile, "When do I get my Taeyeon baby?" Taemin hacked and blushed furiously at that, but mumured thanks as Key cackled over a successful attempt to embarrass him. 

Still red, he turned to the man next to him, "Minho?"

"I'm good with it." Minho smiled, ruffling Taemin's hair. 

   Now for the member he was most nervous about. "Onew?"

The only response was more noises akin to a dying cat. Key patted his back sympathetically, sighing.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter