XXXVII.

Baby Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A lot of big choices happen in one's life.

Graduating college, getting a permanent job...

Or moving out into somewhere else.

Summer dwindled down to a couple of weeks fairly quickly, with Taemin working at the studio and Suyeon at the diner, plus taking care of Hyeonwoo, spending their days off at the park or on play dates with some of the younger kids from Taemin's class. Soon Suyeon was planning for her semester ahead, planning her shifts around her courses and how she could manage some days. It wasn't necessarily an easy task, but it was a necessary one. And of course, even with the chaos, sometimes surprises just can't stop coming.

  "M-mom?" Taemin almost spat out his drink, but his body opted for slightly choking instead. Suyeon hurried to his side, rubbing his back and he hacked and coughed into his arm. Hyeonwoo, on the other hand, squealed with glee as he ran up to the older woman, arms outstretched and screeching to be picked up. She immediately complied, cooing over the five year old. 

As Taemin snuck a grateful smile after calming down and regaining his breath, Suyeon asked the first question. "Mrs. Lee... What are you doing here?"

    "Ah, well, Taemin here was telling me all about the hectic schedules and the stress that you two are dealing with right now, so I decided to drive down and visit you so you can have someone to look after the little one. Also, the child should call me Granny, don't you think? Anyways, I'm here, and here to help!" 

"Granny!" Hyeonwo cheered, grinning widely at the new name, and Mrs. Lee nodded towards the car parked in the lot by the diner. "I'm all set up, so don't you worry about me."

   "M-mom, I have work tomorrow, I don't--" Taemin began.

"She can stay with me, I have the day off and she could run errands with me." Suyeon immediately offered, cutting Taemin off. 

     Taemin ran a hand through his hair, "Suyeon, you don't have to."

"Of course I don't, but the offer's there if she does want to do something."

   Mrs. Lee smiled, "I was actually hoping I could help out with the little guy, after all, Suyeon, honey, you need rest. You look like you haven't slept well in weeks." Taemin glanced over and felt his heart drop. His mom was right. Suyeon looked exhausted. He knew that she had stayed up late for a while trying to file her financial aid forms and Hyeonwoo's daycare re-registeration, but he never really noticed how tired she looked until his mom mentioned it.

Suyeon smiled wearily. "I... I've just been busy, haven't been able to sleep for a while."

    "Well, I'll leave you to it then. The next few weeks are going to be all about mommy sleeping and feeling good, right, Hyeonwoo?" The older woman cooed to the five year old, who giggled and nodded. 

"Right! Mommy needs to feel better for Daddy!" The young couple blushed up to their roots as Hyeonwoo spoke, not missing the pointed look their friends were giving them. Soon though, Suyeon was back to work, hustling about, and Taemin paid for his mother's dinner before they all headed out to their respective homes and places of stay. Taemin apologized profusely before giving Suyeon a quick kiss.

"If she gets to be too much..."

    Suyeon laughed, patting his shoulder. "I'll be fine."

Taemin smiled, running a hand through her hair. "Promise me you'll sleep tonight?"

"You worry too much. Go home!" She shook him off, but her smile assured him that she wasn't actually annoyed. "I promise." She quicked added before bidding him good night. Tomorrow, they both thought, was going to be a long, long day.


"What a cute little apartment!" The day proved to be actually quite relaxing to Suyeon, finding Mrs. Lee a great, no, enormous help when it came to Hyeonwoo and doing chores. Mrs. Lee couldn't seem to stop taking in her small, humble abode either.

       "T-thank you, sorry it's not much but--"

"No no sweetie it's perfect. Seems a little... empty though?" Mrs. Lee pursed her lips, taking in the kitchen. Suyeon flushed. She knew she didn't have much, but... did Taemin's mother really need to point it out? She decided to shake it off best she could, but not without a small damper in her mood.

"Well I suppose it's not as empty as it seems, seeing this." The old mother chuckled, inspecting the laundry basket that was filled with not only hers, but Taemin's clothes as well. Suyeon felt the heat return to her cheeks again. 

"Oh! I'm sorry I meant to put those away... Well, it's actually Taemin's turn, but he hardly ever does laundry. He really hates it." Suyeon babbled a bit, rushing over to hide the mess. Mrs. Lee just hummed, keeping quiet and watching the younger woman hurry in putting clothes away in silence.

        When she had put the last shirt away, Mrs. Lee spoke up,"Sweetie, let me ask you something, if you don't mind."

"Hm?" Suyeon kept tight, not wanting to be rude, but her pride was still stinging from the empty comment from earlier.

     "If I asked you to ask Taemin to move in, would you?"

Suyeon sputtered, feeling that she was going to be permanently blushing if Mrs. Lee kept making comments and blunt questions. "Isn't it.. a little too soon??"

"How long has it been?"

She did the math in her head. "Almost seven months, when school starts back."


"Let me let you in on a little secret about my son," Mrs. Lee beckoned her over, voice lowering, "He's been talking about you nonstop since day one. It's basically been a year for me... Well, any of his friends, including me, I suppose." 

"But..." Suyeon trailed off. It'd be a lie to say that she hadn't considered asking him to move in, but it still seemed like too soon. They said they were going to take it as it goes, but what if it wasn't? She pursed her lips in thought, only to be interrupted by Hyeonwoo's screeching in the other room. 

    Before Taemin's mom hurried to see what Hyeonwoo was up to, she squeezed the young mother's shoulder gently. "I'm not saying right away, honey.... But promise me you'll consider it." And left Suyeon with her thoughts, considering the idea that her boyfriend's mother presented to her.


The next day, Mrs. Lee said a slightly sad goodbye to the small trio, bidding Hyeonwoo a bittersweet goodbye with the promise of a visit soon, and a suggestive wink at Suyeon and Taemin, which embarrassed them both for different reasons. Once his mother's car was out of sight, Taemin led Suyeon and Hyeonwoo back into the air conditioned apartment. He sighed, running a hand through his hair as Hyeonwoo immediately tottered over to his dinosaurs and sank back into his little five year old world.

"Well that was nice of her to come over and help you out... She wasn't too much, was she?" Taemin asked, arm finding a place around her waist. Suyeon nodded, trying to ignore the nagging voice that sounded eerily like Taemin's mom that was saying 'He's been talking about you nonstop since day one.' "No, of course not."

     "That's good." Taemin sighed, relaxing a little, "So...." His tone immediately implied he wanted something, and unfortunately for him, Suyeon was quick to pick up on it.

"Okay, what do you want?" She asked, quirking a eyebrow at him. He flushed. Was he really not that good at keeping his tone level?

    "I'll answer that for you, no, you're really bad at it. And before you ask, yes, you were thinking out loud." Suyeon laughed a little, going into the kitchen to prepare lunch for Hyeonwoo.

"Baby, what do you want?" She asked the f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter