XXV.

Baby Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Five years is a long time to be alone.

Only, she wasn't alone.

She had someone who loved her as pure as love can come.

     April 2nd. The best day of the year for little Hyeonwoo. Why? Because it was his birthday. He was officially five and "a big kid now" and wasn't shy about voicing it to everyone he met. And that meant everyone.

"It's my birthday, ma'am!" He cheered at his neighbor, and Suyeon had to usher him back into their apartment, apologizing for the the loud cheers and ramblings to the older woman across the hall. The woman laughed, waving it off and wishing the child a happy birthday.

     "Hyeonwoo, just because it's your birthday doesn't mean you can do whatever you want! I don't care what Uncle Onew said, you have to be-- Oh, never mind." She sighed, watching the now five year old run off and giggle as he disappeared into his room. Suyeon just shook her head. It was hard to believe that her baby boy was already five years old. Funny how time flies... She smiled as she saw him come out of the room, decked out in his power rangers outfit and making noises akin to the theme song, sneaking around the house and pretending to fight non existent monsters. Suyeon laughed at her son's antics, turning back to finish the cake she was making for his birthday. The guests for his party would be coming soon, and she didn't want them to try and help in the kitchen.


The 'guests' weren't exactly his friends from preschool. As much as he enjoyed being with his friends, Hyeonwoo said he wanted to spend his fifth birthday with all of his uncles, aunts, momma, and most importantly...

   "Daddy!" Hyeonwoo squealed as he saw Taemin enter the apartment, squeezing through the rest of ShinEE to get to him. Taemin picked up the birthday boy, smiling brightly and squeezing him tightly.

"How's the birthday boy?" The older asked, and Hyeonwoo smiled back just as brightly.

     "Really good, Daddy! Did you get me anything?"

"Daddy?" 

    Suyeon stiffened up at the tone that Onew had taken up. She stiffened even more remembering that no one had known that she and Taemin had agreed to let Hyeonwoo call him Daddy. 

      "What does he mean by 'Daddy', Suyeon?" His tone wasn't menacing or cruel, but it was a warning. She knew very well what that warning was.

"I... Well, you see, Onew."

    Taemin stepped in, still holding the giggling toddler. "He wanted to call me 'Daddy' for his birthday so we allowed it." Suyeon nodded as he spoke. She wasn't expecting him to think on his toes. And thank god he did.

Onew wasn't letting them off easy. "And since when is it we?" He asked. His tone was more of a teasing one, but Suyeon stumbled around for an answer again regardless.

    "It's a two way decision, isn't it?" Taemin was once again, smooth as ever and didn't miss a beat. Onew nodded, going back to arguing with Minho over whose gift would be Hyeonwoo's favorite in hushed voices. Suyeon smiled at him, thanking him for his quick thinking, before going back to setting the plates for dinner.

    "Need help?" Taemin asked, releasing Hyeonwoo to bother Amber and Seulgi. Suyeon bumped him with her hip, shaking her head. "No, I'm almost done anyways." As she said this, Taemin gathered the remaining utensils and started placing them out.

Suyeon pursed her lips. "You know I don't need your help, I can do it on my own."

      "Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to." Taemin smiled, placing the last fork down and giving her a quick side hug before going off to say something to Key. 

Hyeonwoo suddenly blurted, "Is dinner ready, momma?" Causing the rest of the group to laugh and seat themselves for dinner. Taemin managed to snag a seat next to Suyeon, and everyone else squeezed themselves around the table. It was a tight fit, and eventually Amber, Joy, Minho and Jonghyun went to the kitchen counters to sit or lean on, chatting animatedly and shrugging off Suyeon's apologies.

    "Sitting on counters is more fun anyways!" Joy insisted, smiling happily and settling herself on the counter, swinging her legs a little.

"Don't dent or dinge anything with your legs, Joy!" Seulgi warned. The younger girl just stuck her tongue out at her, still swinging her legs.

   Suyeon laughed at the exchange, happy that everyone was here. She jumped a little when a warm presence enveloped her hand from under the table. A glance down and over to Taemin confirmed her suspicisions. 

"Are we in middle school or something?" She asked him quietly. He just smiled and squeezed her hand. "Maybe."

   She rolled her eyes at him. "Hey, Suyeon! Guess what's coming up in a couple of weeks?"

"Oh? What's that?" She turned her attention to Key, who had asked the question.

    "The dance show, silly! End of the semester, remember?"

Oh. Guess so. Time had really flown by for Suyeon this semester, with working and school and this little thing with Taemin on her mind. 

"Oh really? I'll be there for sure!" 

    Taemin brightened, "Really? You will?"

"Of course, I promised, didn't I?" She smiled.

    "She better come." Key scoffed, "You have to sit with us and be embarrassing and cheer with us when they come on stage."

Suyeon laughed a little, before registering some of the sentence. "Oh! Do you and Kai have a duet?" She looked over at Taemin, who's cheeks were a little red at the sudden attention on him.

   "Yeah..." He said quietly.

"That's fantastic! I'm looking forward to it." She squeezed his hand, before going back to Hyeonwoo who was currently playing high five with Joy's legs, both laughing and enthusiastic about this new game they'd discovered.

    "Hyeonwo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter