XVI.

Baby Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Time comes and goes faster than you think.

Do not waste the time you are given.

Opportunities don't just come every day.

     "You want me to come to what?" Suyeon raised an eyebrow at Kai, who had ruthlessly tapped his pencil against her notebook for her attention that day.

"Come to the dance show. It's the last time we'll all see each other before break, plus Tae-- I've got a pretty cool solo." Kai caught himself, grinning at her.

     Suyeon had caught him too. "You want me to come because Taemin won't ask me, right?"

"Well... yeah pretty much."

      "No." 

Kai sputtered, blinking at the girl. "What? Why-- Why not?"

     Suyeon sighed, looking over at the dancer. "Because if Taemin doesn't want me to come, then there's a reason. I don't want to upset him."

"You'd probably make his year, to be honest." Kai muttered under his breath. He wasn't letting the new found crush of his best friend get away from him. In fact, he may or may not have hired two of his room mates to help him. Key and Jonghyun. Onew and Minho were hopeless with this kind of thing, he knew. The disaster that happened when Eunji and Key tried that one date was proof enough. Poor Taemin and his girlfriend at the time had tried, though. Also, he kind of didn't want the big brother wrath of Onew to be unleashed upon Taemin just yet. He'd let it slip at the perfect moment. 

      "--And that's why, even though it's tempting, I will not go to the dance show. Are you happy now that you have more detail on the whole ordeal, Kai?" Suyeon had ranted a bit while Kai had spaced out during his planning, and he nodded dumbly.

"Of course," He faked a smile, "You know I love detail."

       She snorted. "You didn't listen to a damn word, did you."

"You just..." Kai's eyes were wide. "You just cursed."

                  "You all curse all the time! Why is it so surprising when I do it?" 

    "You are a mother. Shame on you, Choi Suyeon."  Okay, so Kai was just teasing her now, but he couldn't help it. He'd never heard Suyeon curse before, why should he let an occasion like this slip away from him?

Suyeon pursed her lips, sizing up Kai. He always felt like moms had that one glare that just dared them to continue, and this... this was that glare. He loved himself, so he stopped.

    "Sorry, sorry," Kai relented, "But it is amusing seeing momma bear cursing."

Suyeon just rolled her eyes and leaned over to flick his forehead. He cursed under his breath and went back to his worksheet. Suyeon went back to the problems at hand as well, but her mind was distracted by the offer of the dance show coming up. It was next to impossible, considering Hyeonwoo had his preschool end of the year open house that night. Granny Byun insisted she come and meet her grandson, who worked in the music class on Fridays. 

    "Are you sure it's on Friday?" She asked Kai, who looked up with a slightly amused look in his eyes.

"Aw, you want to come now?" He teased.

    She huffed, "No, I just want to be able to--"

"Miss Choi, Mister Kim." The professor's voice came from the front, low and threatening. Suyeon gulped, looking towards the desk. The eyes of the teacher bored into her, filling her with dread and disappointment.

   "I told you all not to talk while doing the worksheet. The first time I let it slide, but I'm afraid I'll have to ask you both to stay after class for a talk." The professor turned back to his grading, making Suyeon squeak and Kai whine.

"He can't-- he knows-- My baby!!!" Suyeon hissed, pulling out her phone and typing like a mad man. Onew had an extra course in Theory to attend because of the professor somehow ending up with a seriously enflamed tonsil, so that left one option... She just hoped he'd actually be able to do it. 


     Taemin had just gotten out of his class, strolling down the hallway in a fit on hunger. He was starving, to say the least. He'd only had coffee for breakfast that morning, feeling a little queasy in his stomach and not heeding Jonghyun's words to pack a couple of snacks for later... He regretted everything at this point. His stomach was eating his liver at this point, he was sure of it. 

A buzz against his thigh seemed less than promising, seeing as it wasn't food. But when he saw who it was he brightened a little and felt his cheeks warm up a little bit. 

New Message from: Suyeon... <3
    Okay I hate to ask you this but can you pick Hyeonwoo up? I got in trouble...

Taemin choked on his spit for two reasons. The big one being that Suyeon was asking her to pick up her kid, but he'd panic over that one in a minute. At the moment, he was floored over the latter half of the text. Choi Suyeon, in trouble? Impossible. Unless...

New Message to: Suyeon... <3
    did kai have anything to do with this? :P

A few minutes passed before two buzzes alerted him.

     New Messages from: Suyeon... <3 and Kai^^
Suyeon... <3: Answer: yes, and he's not pleased you assumed it was him. But can you get him? I'll meet up with you as soon as I can.
Kai^^: just bc u think shes perfect does NOT mean u need to throw me under the bus >:P .

New Message to: Suyeon... <3
    Of course i will~ can i take the tike out tho? i'm starving TT^TT

New Message to: Kai^^
   but u start everything so...? also STFU >///< ;;;;

Taemin checked the time after he sent the messages, turning on his heel and heading straight out towards the daycare. There was buzzing in his pocket, but he ignored it for the time being in favor of getting to toddler faster and getting food. He only asked Suyeon so she'd be able to know where they were. He and Hyeonwoo were getting food no matter what, that is how hungry he is.

    Entering the daycare, he went the familiar route to get to Hyeonwoo's classroom. Hyeonwoo and a couple other kids were still there, and of course Granny Byun was at her desk, reading a book and occasionally glancing up to check on the children.

       When she caught sight of Taemin, she smiled. "Oh, is it time for tea again? Or... something else, I think?" She smiled, her laugh lines deepening as she stood up. Hyeonwoo looked up and grinned, rushing to him.

    "Taemin!! Taemin!!! Where's momma?" He asked, looking behind Taemin for his mother. Taemin gave him a smile, kneeling down to his height.

   "Well, kiddo, she's not with me," Taemin started to see Hyeonwoo's bottom lip jut out, "But she asked me to pick you up and she'll meet us at the diner for dinner. Sound good?" 

The four year old still didn't look sold, so Taemin jutted out his bottom lip too, "What, you don't want to spend time

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter