chapter 60

The Fallen #1

            "No!" Her shriek and sob was the only thing he heard at the moment. "Jongin, don't do this!"

 

            "Take another step, and I will kill Jaejoong," Soohyun threatened, holding his grandson close to him. There were now three, four with Kai, against five. Yongguk and Luhan had joined in, dragging the heads of the Elders they'd killed. Soohyun roared in fury.

 

            "I'm sorry, Hana, I can't let this pass," Kai replied sadly. Hana thrashed forward, but Sehun held her back in place, glaring at Kai, who was still down on his knees. Elder Jung smirked at his response, and slowly helped him get up.

 

            Kai groaned when he finally stood on his feet again. Never would he forget the humiliation he had today. His eyes didn't meet Elder Jung, nor the others. As soon as he was free from the electricity bites, he could feel the numbness gone. Slowly, he could move his body, his hands slowly at first.

 

            a deep breath, Kai disappeared through the thin air. Hana's eyes widened at the sudden turn of event. He reappeared behind Soohyun, grabbing him by the neck and pinned him down to the ground. It took everyone by surprise when he did so. A loud growl escaped Soohyun's lips.

 

            "What do you think you're doing?" Soohyun tried to grab Kai, but he forcefully pinned the Elder down. "I am doing what I'm supposed to do. I'm serving my King." Kai stepped on his stomach so that Soohyun wouldn't move an inch.

 

            Elder Jung tried to make a move on Kai, but Jaejoong, slowly recovering from his injuries, tackled him by the feet and grabbed the sword by his side. It was a clean cut by the neck. Blood burst out from the cut, but it wasn't enough to kill him. The other Elder, Elder Han was held back by Luhan with his telekinetic. There was nothing he could do to help because he was helpless as well.

 

            "We had an agreement," Soohyun sharply replied, his eyes blazing with hatred. "We'd make you a King, and you agreed. So, what is this?"

 

            "A sudden disagreement," Kai hissed. Without turning his head back, he spoke to Sehun, "Don't you have anything to say to your Grandfather? After all this time?"

 

            Sehun let go of Hana, his steps faltering every time he walked. Hana wanted to hold him as he went on, but she knew this was the one time she couldn't interfere. This was his personal matter, one he had to finish by himself. Watching the sadness in his eyes, Hana could feel her heart squeezed in pain.

 

            "I'll leave it to you, then," Kai let Sehun put his hands on his own grandfather, pining him even harder. His cousin seemed almost indifferent about this, his eyes cold and harsh, unforgiving. He had been waiting for this for over centuries of being a Fallen. He had to go through sufferings, all alone, because of his grandfather.

 

            "Are you going to kill me?" Soohyun was just as harsh. He wasn't afraid of death anymore, not after a thousand year of living. He welcomed the idea of complete darkness, not having to worry over anything. "If that makes you feel happy, then kill me."

 

            "Giving up after everything?" Sehun chuckled darkly, his thumb clawing into Soohyun's neck. When the blood trickled down to the ground, he smirked. Soohyun tried to struggle once more, but Sehun was more advantageous here. "Don't give yourself so much credit, Sehun."

 

            "Of course not," Sehun snorted and his fingers clawed in deeper. Soohyun hissed from the pain, but said nothing against it. "Tell me, did you kill Soojung? And my father?"

 

            "That worthless girlfriend of yours?" Soohyun scoffed, "I don't remember much, but yes, I did kill her. Her life isn't worth much to me, anyway. But it's nice to see you blame everything on Jaejoong. I wish you'd fought to death back then, but instead, you chose to betray the clan and let Jaejoong ruled."

 

            "That didn't go quite as you planned, did it?"

 

            Jaejoong bitterly clicked his tongue and looked at Elder Jung. He closed his eyes as he felt the painful stab below his chest. His electricity wouldn't help him out at the moment, not with Jaejoong's nullifying touch. He only gasped as the sword drove through his heart, finally taking the life out of him. A thousand year and death finally welcome him...

 

            "No, but I waited for another hundred years for another war," Soohyun answered, even with his life hanging on a thin thread. Sehun looked at his grandfather, the one who never loved him like a real family. His eyes almost black, his tall nose gracing the striking face, and a plump lips like Jaejoong's. "A war you're about to lose..."

 

            Hana held her breath when Sehun didn't move anymore. He looked almost serene as he put his hand on Soohyun's face, caressing it. Slowly, the Elder choked. Sehun let go and stood up. Soohyun was fighting for air, but found none. His face was contorted with pain, so excruciating as Sehun knocked the air out of him.

 

            Jaejoong came to his side, and together, they watched their grandfathers clawing to the air. He couldn't die yet, not with his heart still beating slowly.

 

            "I think you can deliver the last blow, Brother," Sehun refused to look at Jaejoong. The word meant so much more to the two of them. It was the first time they actually acknowledged each other. Through so many years of hating each other, they found themselves again, with forgiveness to their past and making amends with their presents.

 

            The fire left Soohyun's eyes. The forest was still. He was dead.

 

***

 

            Hana remembered the last thing Ara told her, though she didn't know whether it was a warning or a goodbye. 'This might not be the last time we'd stand in the war together. Until next time, Young One...' She watched as the Faeries went back to the north, their faces full of sadness and grief. They initially had wanted to bury the remains of the loss ones, but decided that nature would help departing the souls to the other world.

 

            The werewolves had gone to build back their destroyed land. It might take much longer to see them again since the vampires and the Lykae hated each other. Though they weren't close before, Hana admitted that she'd miss Junhong's sarcastic remarks in days afterwards.

 

            "You're no longer welcome in the clan, Sehun," Kris firmly stated. He gave the vampires one last look, before he turned back and disappeared. The other Fallens followed suit, having duties to attend in the human world.

 

            Sehun smiled, and for once, he finally felt free. Hana stood by his side, together, hand-in-hand.

 

            The vampires was the last clan to leave, heading back to their fortress. It was the only place that wasn't destroyed by the Forsaken army. Hana felt a sense of homesick when she thought of the castle. The place had grown on her, becoming her home and her safe haven.

 

            "It's not the end, you know," Kai muttered from the back. He looked as dashing as always, in his black attire. Hana turned back and took him by the other hand. He had saved the family with his act towards the Elders. She had apologized the day before for ever doubting him, and he apologized in return, for ever considering the opportunity to rule the clan. What he'd never told her was that she was the reason behind it.

 

            Kai smiled. Time would mend the broken heart. Hopefully not for long...

 

            "There's still the Council, and your decision of the future," Kai hinted at her, and she smiled. She'd made her decision since the day before. And she hoped it'd be best for everyone. Especially Jaejoong...