chapter 29

The Fallen #1

A/N: I'm updating chapter 28-30, read chapter 28 first.

 

Kris reminded himself of the reports. Massaging his forehead, he heaved in a sigh.

 

The numbers of Forsakens had increased by twofolds. Most of them hadn't been in the stage of identification, so he didn't know who was the person behind all of this. If he looked over the case carefully, he dared to say someone was asking for a war. Worst thing that could happen in this scenario was it might not be someone, it might be one of the Shadow clans.

 

Kris tightened his fist. Maybe he needed to pay his old friend a visit.

 

***

 

"So... You want me to teach you how to fight?"

 

Hana nodded eagerly. Her eyes shone bright with hope.

 

"I could kill you, you know," Kai replied incredulously. It wasn't like he didn't want to, but he was afraid that if he did try to teach her how to fight, she would break and bend. Imagine Jaejoong's reaction, imagine Luhan's reaction, Kai grimaced, imagine Sehun's reaction...

 

"You won't," Hana continued to plea, "I'm not that fragile and you're not that foolish. I trust you." Kai chuckled. He wanted to ruffle her hairs, telling her how wrong she could be, but Hana wouldn't give up.

 

It had been three days since they talked to each other, and in those three days, Kai and Hana would talk and talk for hours, mostly about what she should and should not do in front of Jaejoong. He hadn't trusted her enough for more private matters, but she knew trust would take time to grow.

 

Jaejoong knew, but he dismissed it as Hana assured him that Kai was just trying to humor her in this boring castle. Beside, he was teaching her a lot of things about the monarchy of shadow world and everything. Jaejoong looked suspicious. But he didn't say anything else.

 

"What do you want to learn then? Do you learn anything about fighting skill in the human world?" Kai finally gave up and succumbed to Hana. She smiled widely in return, and Kai didn't even hold back this time. He pinched her cheeks adoringly and ruffled her hair. She was just so cute sometimes...

 

"Other than the forgotten archery lesson? I guess a little bit of kungfu? But mind you, I learnt them all from movies, so it's very... untrustworthy." Hana laughed and Kai chuckled. She blushed a bit and added on, "It's not like I know these days would come. I still think I'm dreaming you know."

 

Kai hummed in response and retreated his hands. They were in a comfortable silence, both in a blank state if mind, and it was the male that spoke first, "This will take months and years to perfect it, you know. But because I am such a good person and a good teacher, maybe we can make it a tad bit shorter."

 

"I promise to try hard," Hana nodded enthusiastically. Her eyes rounded when Kai got off of the bed and motioned her to follow. Excitement rushed through her veins like poisons and along the way, she kept on grinning to herself.

 

***

 

Dongwoon bit back a smirk that was about to appear in his face. He dared not to look at Jaejoong in the face, so after he bowed down in respect, he folded his hands and stood there waiting.

 

Jaejoong looked up from his reading, noticing one of his spies came to find him. He nodded to him, "Is there anything you'd like to tell me?"

 

Dongwoon nodded and half bowed at The Lord. Jaejoong closed the book he was reading, and finally gave the spy his full attention. He knew Dongwoon was one fearful man, and he wouldn't come unless the matter was important. There must be something about Kai he wanted to say.

 

"My Lord, this is about Lord Kai and... your Mate."

 

Jaejoong's ears perked up. His eyes shot Dongwoon a look to continue.

 

"He's teaching her how to fight," Dongwoon slowly phased out the words, and seeing Jaejoong's reaction was priceless. He clenched his jaw, trying to suppress a curse that threatened to slip out. He breathed in deeply and slowly asked, "He is teaching her how to fight...? Are you absolutely sure?"

 

Dongwoon nodded and replied courtly with a simple 'yes,my Lord'. He was not a man of many words, because he knew talkativeness brought nothing but trouble. He had worked many years for Jaejoong and if there was anything Jaejoong disliked more than his younger brother. It must be noisy people who didn't know of their positions in the society.

 

Jaejoong frowned. He was a thousand year old. He should have better control at his emotion. But damn, if it was his mate,the heart took a completely different turn and refused to listen to his brain. It wasn't like he knew the girl for years to fall in love with her, but that was the thing about soulmates. You just clicked right away.

 

So when this foreign feeling swarmed right in, Jaejoong squirmed in his seat uncomfortably. "How does this happen?"

 

"Miss Jung asked for it, my Lord," Dongwoon replied, satisfaction pouring in. He could see Jaejoong's contorted reaction. He knew The Lord could barely contain his emotion. He was a possessive person. What was his should rightfully and solely be his and his only. Just like the throne. Just like the mere human girl...

 

"Hana asked for a fighting lesson? Why Kai? That brat could hurt her to get to me! Why not me? Damn it!" Jaejoong messed up his hair in frustration. He was really used to females throwing themselves on his feet. He thought his mate would do the same, be all over him. If only she was this mating process would be easier.

 

"If I can say something about this, my Lord," Dongwoon interrupted his train of thoughts. Jaejoong nodded nonchalantly. "You haven't visited her since she woke up that time. She isn't exactly fond of the idea."

 

"I thought girls love the game of push and pull?" Jaejoong raised his eyebrow and God blessed him because he still looked so darn attractive even when he wore a heavy frown on his face. "Am I not giving her the personal space she needs?"

 

Dongwoon scoffed inwardly. By personal space, Jaejoong was actually giving her more time to think about Sehun, because he could see how she just drifted off to wander land every time she was alone. Kai might distract her for a while, but even the effort sometimes proved fruitless. If Jaejoong didn't step up his game, he might as well give the girl to Sehun on a silver plate.

 

"My Lord, these few days of your first meetings and greetings are supposed to be your getting-to-know-her step. If you don't distract her from thinking about running away and your... brother, of course she will naturally prefer Lord Kai who's been there with her since day one." ... Compare to you, that is...

 

"That stubborn girl," Jaejoong spat, but even then, Dongwoon could detect hidden affection behind his words, "She doesn't know how strong a Shadow creature can be. She doesn't know how Kai will be able to hurt her with just a little ounce of strength. That stupid girl..."

 

Jaejoong waved at Dongwoon, signaling him to go away, "It's fine. I will handle this myself. On the mean time. I have another task to assign you to. I've been trying to track down a vampire who Marked my mate. If you can help me track whoever that is, it would be very helpful."

 

Dongwoon froze. Since when had The Lord used such kind words to address him? Before this, it was always insults and curses towards whoever he thought was lower than him, but now... To actually hear the word helpful was very shocking. Without waiting for Dongwoon's response, Jaejoong fled out the door in fear of his mate's safety.

 

***

 

Kris stepped out of the Portal he created and the wind barrier dispersed into thin air. He didn't need to look around to know he was exactly where he wanted to be. Growing up in the warm palace, he had gotten so used to this that he remembered every single details of the neutral zone.

 

This was the faeries' habitats. He could smell the fresh leaf and the warm cinnamon smell from afar. In another side, he could feel the breeze if cold air, balancing the warm part. This was exactly why the palace was called the neutral zone, because it divided the faerie world into two courts; the Summer court and the Winter court.

 

Both sides had called truce for the time being, but the Cold War couldn't be helped. They were the complete opposite of each other. The Winter court and the Summr court couldn't possibly get along. But in the neutral zone, no fight could happen. Once every year, when the season changed, a festive where both courts would celebrate together would be held here. In this exact palace. Of cold stone and marble, surrounded by green trees and fields of flower.

 

It would be a complete lie if he said he didn't miss this place.

 

"You've come back!" A sweet voice called out to him. He didn't expect both his cousins from the Summer court to appear. They were the infamous royal siblings, Suho and Chorong. Suho threw Kris a sweet smile, which never seemed to cease even in the direst moment. They were the epitome of true Summer; bright, warm and cheerful.

 

"I am not back for long," Kris nodded at both of them. "This is just a small investigation."

 

"Of course. That's why you invite the Winter sisters here right?" Suho's smile wasn't as bright when two females entered the space. He bowed a little out of respect, and Chorong did the same. The Winter princesses both bowed back out of courtesy and respect.

 

Kris stared at Krystal and Jessica. They were both I humanely beautiful. Unlike the cute, cheerful Chorong, Krystal and Jessica looked icy cold. They wore silver to represent the Winter court. Kris should be thankful that out of all royals, the Queen had sent out these two. They were known to be less haughty and arrogant.

 

"This feels like a small reunion, don't you think so, Brother?" Chorong asked Suho. The male nodded and ruffled her hair. Krystal snickered and glared at the two, "Lord Kris, if this doesn't bother you, can we please finish the talk as soon as possible?" Jessica nodded in agreement.

 

Kris sighed. How he wished they would stop calling him a Lord after he turned a Fallen, but that didn't appear quite likely. Nevertheless he signaled both courts to enter the palace and sit down while they talked. Nobody was inside, of course. He knew, because he owned the entire land. And he still did.

 

"There are things I want to ask you. And I wish you'd be willing to cooperate with me on this."