chapter 40

The Fallen #1

 "Lady Jung."

 

Hana finally looked straight, up to observe each faces that sat down on the round table. There were twelve men, all of whom wore the same clothing shade; dark and heavy. Their faces looked uncomfortable when Jaejoong entered the room. One of them, presumably the leader, stood up and nodded his head at both Hana and Jaejoong,

 

"Lord Kim. We're glad to see you here."

 

Jaejoong could have replied sweetly like the normal charmer he was, but he chose not to. Hana felt his hand squeezed hers as he smiled a tight-lipped smile and nodded stiffly in return. Both of them sat down together in the left side, and Hana could instantly feel a strong, suffocating aura, coming from the twelve Elders.

 

For a newborn like Hana, it was only natural for her to have such a reaction against the intimidating force. Jaejoong hadn't t expected her to be calm and composed. She paled down, her hands trembling against his, and he could feel her mental defense getting weaker and weaker to the point that she almost cried.

 

But Hana held herself in. Sehun expected her to be strong. Jaejoong needed her by his side. Kai trusted her, and she couldn't just back down when she had so many responsibilities to fulfill. She couldn't bear to disappoint them who had helped her through a chaotic phase of her life. Her mind cleared up. Her breathing slowly became steady, and she looked at Jaejoong. He was worried.

 

"We're very happy to welcome you to the clan, Lady Jung. You make a stunning vampiress," the first man on the right complimented, to which she simply smiled and replied with a short thank you. "I am Jung Jinyoung from the Jung family, the oldest amongst us all."

 

"I am Seo In Guk," the man had dark eyes and alluring smile. He looked no more than twenty, yet Hana could only guess the four to five digits of his age. His look could have easily fooled anyone, "I come from the Seo lineage, the second oldest after Lord Jung."

 

And the man next to Lord Seo turned to face her fully. His face was contorted with disgust, though he managed to hide it quite well. One could only guess the reason of the distaste. "My name is Shin Sung Rok, from the Shin family. I have been waiting for you for ages..." Hana threw a look at Jaejoong, and he sent her a warning gaze. This man, whoever he was, was dangerous.

 

The fourth Lord, Park Hae Jin seemed like a warm, lovely man. He was full of smiles and jokes. He gave off a friendly vibe and was overall, the nicest out of them all. He seemed to be close to the fifth Lord, Kwon Jiyoung. His sharp eyes scanned around the room like a hawk, but he somehow avoided Hana's curious stare to him.

 

The introduction went on, until it was the last of the twelve to introduce himself. Hana couldn't help but to stare at him, because he looked so painfully familiar. Those jawline, the sharp nose, the bright eyes, yet cold and cruel...

 

"Lady Jung," his voice was deep, and mellow, "It is my pleasure to meet my granddaughter-in-law." Hana's eyes widened. Jaejoong patted her hand to calm her down. "I am Kim Soohyun, Jaejoong's grandfather, the representative of the Kim family."

 

And suddenly, Hana felt choked up. She looked at Jaejoong and he looked back at her anxiously. No wonder why he looked so familiar. She should have noticed hoe much Sehun resembled his grandfather. They both looked like nobles with those high nose and fair skin.

 

Soohyun fixated his gaze upon Hana and Jaejoong. Sure, the two seemed to get along well. They both depended on each other and had a good measurement of skin ship. But he also felt that something was off in their bonds.

 

Soohyun's ability was to see through everyone's bonds. He could tell whether someone was reliant on the other, or if that person was utterly and completely disgusted with someone. Right now, from his observation, Jaejoong did love Hana dearly, but in what kind, he wasn't sure of. Hana, on the other hand, was just confused and lost. He didn't blame her, though. Her transformation from human to vampire was too rushed. She must have had a hard time catching up with a whole new world of creatures she thought didn't exist.

 

Jaejoong dared not to look at his grandfather. He didn't want to know what kind of reaction his grandfather must have had when he saw their bonds. Hana took a deep breath and tried to calm herself down. She never imagined she would meet her in-laws this way.

 

"Thank you for the warm welcome. It is my pleasure to meet you all," Hana didn't know how to speak in a sophisticated manner and that was the best she could think of. The Elders nodded in return. They didn't seem bothered about her lack of enthusiasm. Instead, they chose to look at Lord Kim. The girl gulped and finally dared herself to meet his gaze.

 

"Lord Jaejoong, we come here to talk to Lady Jung specifically, regarding some political matter and other things of different interests," The first Elder spoke, "We would appreciate it if we would be given time alone with the young Lady."

 

Panic arose in Hana's chest, and as clear as the cloudless night, Jaejoong could feel it.

 

"I'm afraid I can't leave my mate alone, Lord Jung. She's new to the world and needs me by her side, just in case some unwanted things happen," Jaejoong sneered as a reply. It was viewed as rude, but he couldn't careless. They might hold a high position amongst the clan, but Jaejoong was still the law. He had every right to do everything he wanted.

 

"Jaejoong, leave the room now," Soohyun spoke to Jaejoong sternly, in contrast to the warmth he showed just now. His eyes were fiery despite the age, and he looked dangerous. Jaejoong remained unfazed and only tightened his grip on her, "I am not leaving her with you."

 

"Brat!" Soohyun spat and turned to Hana, "Tell him to leave, I don't want to see my son's murderer in the same room as me."

 

Hana looked at the Elder in shock. Did he just call his own grandson a 'murderer' in front of everyone? Technically it was right, but still... For Jaejoong to suffer such humiliation just wasn't right. He was a murderer, and that was true. But maybe he had a reason for doing that. Because this Jaejoong had been nothing but kind to her.

 

"I won't leave without her consent," Jaejoong was just as stubborn as Soohyun was. He didn't seem insulted nor ashamed. He was very calm and composed, even after everything. Only Hana could sense the uneasiness inside of him. Only she could feel the rage and the sadness.

 

"Lady Jung," The Lord from the Lee family, the Eight Elder, Lee Junjin, interrupted the heated stare between the three. "Please? We just want to talk. We promise you no harm will be done."

 

"Please, my Lady," the Tenth Lord added on. His name was Song Seunghun, from the Song family. He looked calm most of the time. But who knew his voice could hold such power and authority towards her? "We mean good." Jaejoong scoffed silently. The Elders never meant anything good unless it was advantageous for them.

 

"My Lord," Hana finally spoke up, and turned her gaze to Jaejoong. She looked at him softly and slowly peeled off his tight grasp from her hand. "I will be fine. You can leave us." She pleadingly stared at him, asking him indirectly to trust her. Jaejoong heaved a heavy sigh and shook his head in frustration. She didn't understand what danger they posed to her and to him.

 

"My Lord," Hana warned him once again, this time with a hint of urgency in her voice.

 

Jaejoong threw her a look and after much consideration, nodded. "I will be waiting for you in my room."

 

They all watched as Jaejoong stiffly nodded and walked out of the room. Hana didn't fail to notice the smug smirk that appeared on the Seventh Elder, Lord Oh Byunghun. He was then, the first one to talk after making sure Jaejoong was not in the hearing distance.

 

"Lady Jung, how's your relationship with Lord Jaejoong?"

 

Hana narrowed her eyes and faked on a thin smile, "We're progressing rather quickly." Though she'd like to pinpoint out that it might not be what they were thinking of.

 

"That is good. We're worried that you won't be able to adapt quickly, considering your lowly human status. But we are glad," Lord Shin sinisterly replied. There was a huge lump of saliva in Hana's mouth that she refused to swallow. Her pride and Jaejoong's pride were at stake with this kind of conversation.

 

"It's all thanks to Lord Jaejoong, my Lord," Hana turned to look at each faces carefully, "He's been a very good partner to me." Partner? Hana scoffed inwardly, more like brother.

 

"I see," Lord Seo glanced at Lord Kim.

 

"My lady," Hana turned to Lord Kwon and nodded at him to continue, "I assume that the Mark on your back is now, fully developed into the shape of a dragon, aye?" Hana didn't confirm it nor did she deny. She simply pressed her lips into a thin line and waited until Lord Kwon added on, "And Jaejoong must have explained to you how sacred it is to our clan?"

 

Hana didn't fail to notice the warning look Lord Jung gave the younger one. She shook her head and asked back, "I am never given details of how sacred it is, my Lord. Perhaps you'd like to enlighten me more."

 

"I will make it short for you, Lady Jung," Lord Kim wearily explained, cutting Lord Kwon from launching a story of his own, "This Mark, by now, bears a higher position than Jaejoong and us combined, making you the highest rank in the clan. But since you're a woman, you can't rule the clan by yourself. You need either Jaejoong or Sehun."

 

Hana almost snickered at how ist it sounded. She might look weak, but inside that little fragile body, held an ambition so big to break free from everyone's expectation for her. "Please do continue, Lord Kim."

 

"We're hoping you won't do that," Lord Jung firmly stated, finally voicing his thought and the rest of the Elders'. Hana didn't even hide her surprise when her eyes widened a little and she looked at Lord Jung as if he was mad. "Why so, my Lord?"

 

"Because Jaejoong is not a good leader for this clan, and Sehun's a hopeless case," It was no surprise that Lord Kim spoke in such disgust about both his grandsons. One's a Fallen while the other one murdered his own father. "Therefore, we're hoping to choose an heir from another lineage."

 

Hana tried her hardest not to shout right now, because she didn't like it when Lord Kim made her look like a doll that could be controlled at will. She fought the urge to spite at them, and as calmly as she could, she said, "That sounds interesting. But what would I get from this, Lord Kim?"

 

"You and us, we can rule the world together. The other clan would bow down to us. We would be above them all. It's with you, my Lady, only with your power and the gift of your Mark would it be possible to do so," Lord Jung tried to convince her, and Hana wanted to hit his head so badly right now, that her hand was itching from not doing so.

 

"I understand where I stand in this, but aside from the vampire clan, how will you overthrow the other clans? My Mark would work solely upon this clan, isn't that right?" Hana eyed Lord Park, who seemed to be getting more uncomfortable with this discussion. Well, he wasn't the only one. Hana was just a tad bit better at hiding it in such urgent moment.

 

"We have another help, Lady Jung. Of course we won't work alone. A few minor clans are in this together, without knowing the final goal of our mission. They think we're fed up with Jaejoong's tyranny and decides to help us in this rebellion. But they don't know what they're in for. Of course we will be the one to stand tall in the end."

 

Hana wanted to puke at how greedy and malicious the idea was. But the other Elders were to engrossed in the idea to notice her pale face and trembling lips.

 

"We have an army of Forsaken waiting for our order," Lord Shin chuckled darkly, "The numbers keep on growing everyday, and we manage to make hundreds of thousands of these creatures."

 

Hana couldn't find her voice. She was scared. She didn't want to be involved in this plan at all. When Lord Shin turned to her she immediately mustered up whatever courage she had left, and faced him with such calmness that it surprised everyone in the room.

 

She was no brave woman, but no one needed to know what a terrific actress she was. She had to make everyone believe that she was truly interested in this matter, "My Lords, I am very happy to know that you hold such great concern for me and the clan." She snickered to herself in her mind. "But do know that I must think over this matter carefully."

 

"So what are you trying to say, Lady Jung?" Lord Shin narrowed his eyes and glared at Hana. She almost burst into tears facing such a scary opponent but held her ground and stared back with little to no emotion on her face,

 

"I appreciate your offer, my Lord, but I'm afraid I cannot give you the answer right now."

 

"Is this a rejection, Lady Jung?" Lord Jung asked bitterly. Hana turned to him and smiled, "It depends on how patient you are, and how long you are willing to wait for my answer."

 

Lord Kim growled and bang the table with such force that the wooden table split into two, the pieces shattering across the ground, and one of them pierced Hana's hand, hurting it deep into the bone. She flinched and pulled it out, letting her blood, now pale red in color, flew freely to her thigh.

 

"I hope you reconsider this, Jung Hana, and if you don't," his cold blue eyes pierced at hers, "I know you will regret this. You will come begging at us, praying for your life to be saved. And on that day, I will laugh and spite at your pitiful face because you don't deserve a seat in this noble clan."

 

Hana shivered at his threat. She watched as all of them rushed out of the room, leaving her slumping back on the chair in agony. She hoped she had made the right decision to stay with Jaejoong and Sehun. She really, really hoped so.

 

When she walked out of the library and into the hallway, she could hear the front gate being opened, and there was noises outside, as if people were fighting and shouting. Hana breathed in and walked faster towards the main room, only to see Jaejoong, Sehun, Luhan, Kai and Kris there, with a bloody man on the carpeted floor.

 

Kris looked stoned. No matter how strong he was, fear was written on his face. It didn't take long for Hana to realize that maybe Kris knew this person. She furrowed her eyebrows and walked towards the group, only to notice how bad the bleeding was. Covering at the smell, she knelt down next to Kris.

 

"What is happening here?" Jaejoong was first to speak up. He pierced a cold gaze to Kris, demanding him for explanation.

 

"Hanbin, tell me what happened? Where are Suho and Chorong? Aren't you supposed to guard them?" Kris asked, holding the bleeding man- Hanbin- by his arms. Hana ripped off a piece of her skirt and securely tying it around his arms and legs. The bleeding was slow to stop, and it was shocking, because the Shadow creatures healed extremely fast.

 

"The Summer Princess... " Hanbin whispered weakly, his eyes unfocused, "The Summer Princess is dead... The Prince is on the run... The Forsaken... The army of the Forsaken was there..."

 

Hana gaped. The army of the Forsaken? Did the Elders have anything to do with this?

 

"They..." Hanbin gulped down the blood on his tongue painfully, "They are declaring war, My Lord..."