chapter 46

The Fallen #1

Their relationship was platonic, one-sided, unhealthy and poisonous, that was, if they even had one to begin with. They didn't talk a lot. Most of the time it was silence. Comfortable, peaceful, and it allowed them time to breathe and to think.

 

Feelings.

 

Feelings was always one heck of a complicated mess. Nobody knew when it started. Nobody knew when it would end. Fragile, soft, and doubtful. Feelings hurt in ways more than one. Like needles, and daggers, stabbing your heart endlessly, and the pain just wouldn't go away. It freaking stayed, like thorns. The wounds never seemed to heal, if ever, the wound bled more, and teared up wider than before.

 

Feelings.

 

Sweet and innocent, daring and tender. Feelings risked whatever possession one could have, even when that person had nothing in return. Feelings was happiness. Feelings was joy in disguise, sorrow in contentment. Feelings was baby steps, taking the first shyly, before advancing to a more extreme level.

 

Hana rubbed her eyes in the bar, twirling the drink in her hand with no one by her side.

 

Sehun and the others were gone elsewhere, having the Fallens' own gathering, while Hana preferred to lay low in the bar, with drinks and lonesome companion. She preferred this quiet, silent world over the one outside; the one they were facing now.

 

Jaejoong was somewhere in the corner of the bar, with the other nobles, and here she was, acting like an irresponsible brat. She felt somewhat failing in doing her responsibilities as a future Queen. She was sure there were so many other girls, ready to lead the clan in Jaejoong's behalf. She, on the other hand, was the dirty blood, (once) human with absolutely no preparation to be a leader.

 

With drinks in her hand, her mind was clearer than ever. The human bartender glanced curiously at this beautiful girl in front of him, as if he knew what she was, and maybe in a way, he did. People in Transylvania didn't seem to suspect them anymore when they came in group, perhaps because this place was just so used to everything supernatural.

 

"You are here," Hana pointed her drinks to salute Jaejoong, who took his seat next to her, ordering the exact same drink as hers.

 

"And you are finally alone," Jaejoong smiled, appreciating this kind of time that the two of them were completely alone.

 

"I have always been alone," Hana muttered softly, barely audible.

 

After that, blissful silence. Soft music could be heard from the bar, a few people dancing together, while some other laughed together, cuddled together and spent their last night in this world to do whatever things pleased them. After tonight, who knew if they'd be dead, or if they'd stay alive.

 

"Hana," Jaejoong asked, his eyes planted to the bars of drinks in the front, "Do you despise me? Just like everyone else, do you hate me?"

 

Hana turned to look at Jaejoong, "Why the sudden question?"

 

"Because..." He gulped down his drink, feeling a little bit hot,"...you're the only one." He paused for a while, seemingly considering very carefully what he wanted to say. "Everyone else may hate me, and I'll be fine with it, but not you. You're the only one I can't... I can't bear to lose you."

 

The girl shifted a little in her seat, slightly uncomfortable because she knew what this conversation would lead to. How she hated feeling helpless in this, how there was this sudden pressure to choose. It was like worlds consisted of black and white only, and nobody else considered the grey color, the in-between.

 

"Strangely... I do not hate you," Hana mumbled softly in reply. She didn't want to hurt him. "I should be, with all the rumors going around, but you've proven me wrong. You are never bad. Jaejoong, no matter how you are to others, I can't see you the way they do."

 

"That's comforting," Jaejoong chuckled, but it sounded forced. The words Hana had said were comforting, but not enough.

 

"Jaejoong, can I ask you one question? But you have to promise me not to be mad," Hana put down her glass and gazed at Jaejoong, her huge eyes filled with curiosity. Jaejoong put down his and ruffled her hair lovingly, "I can never be mad at you, silly girl. Shoot away, then."

 

"Why... do you kill your father?"

 

***

 

There were approximately a hundred or less Fallens that gathered to the calls. Kris sat in the middle, as he always was, feeling a bit weirded out that these lonesome creatures were actually having a 'talk'. Of course they didn't necessarily talk, but at least they agreed to gather together.

 

"It's another war," one of the girls, Seohyun said. She was beautiful. Her dark hair falling to her shoulder, her pale, white skin was porcelain like. She was graceful, agile, and was one of the most famous ladies in the Faery world before her fiancé was killed. "Another war, and another petty fight for a girl, I heard."

 

Sehun shot her a look to shut up, but she didn't back down. Which Fallen would know of fear? None.

 

"I heard she bears the rare Mark of the clan, hm?" Minho asked, looking like he didn't care when he actually did. "And you?" Sehun furrowed his eyebrows and waited for Minho to continue, "What about you? What will you do?"

 

"What will I do?" Sehun asked back like it was the most ridiculous question in the world.

 

"You're a Fallen, and you have a vampire brother, clearly you're not the most desirable choice out of the two," Minho's words had hurt, but it was somehow true. "What will you do to get her? Or will you let your brother win again?"

 

Sehun scowled. No, not again. Jaejoong had never won anything. Neither would he in the future.

 

"He won't do anything," It was Yongguk who replied. His deep voice soothed the tension. "He's still hellbent on the whole revenge thing. He's just using her for that. After all, this leech is still a Fallen."

 

Sehun hissed at him. He didn't deny nor did he confirm anything.

 

"That's cruel," Doojoon shook his head. Instead of a pitiful look, he seemed to like the idea of toying with the girl's feelings.

 

Sehun drowned in all noises. It wasn't like he was trying to use Hana, though he initially wanted to do so. He had forgotten about his revenge for a while now, but when these Fallens brought it up, all just came back to him. And he was confused.

 

"Just let him do whatever he wants, I don't see why you are all so gossipy about this," Luhan defended Sehun, knowing exactly his inner conflict. He glared at those that spoke up, and he glared the hardest at Yongguk. "In other word, shut the up and mind your own business."

 

"Touché, Luhan," Sunggyu chuckled darkly. His eyes were grim. "We were having fun talking about Sehun here. Don't you?"

 

Luhan glared back, and scoffed, "Am I supposed to?"

 

"Sneaky," Jungkook snickered. Luhan scoffed in return.

 

"What time are we moving back tomorrow?" It was Seohyun who asked. Apparently she got bored of the boys' argument. All she wanted to do was to get away from this crowd of noises. Kris looked at her for a while and replied, "At night."

 

"And so, we should be ready for an attack by then?"

 

Kris nodded, "Possibly so, since we don't know where the Forsaken army would be. That's why everyone's having the last night's party with their own clan. Of course, that doesn't really apply to us. All of you can leave if you want."

 

With that said, the long, running tradition of the Shadow War had been broken. Most of the Fallens left the circle of fire after Kris told them they could leave. Only a few of them stayed, like Sehun, Luhan, Yongguk, Himchan and Kris. Two of the wolves stayed for convenience and to hear directly from Sehun. This war was mostly caused by his clan, anyway.

 

"You know you can deny it, but you didn't," Yongguk casually commented, "You could have disagreed, t'was what I was saying, head." Sehun glared at him but didn't talk back. "Well, maybe, what I said was true? Is that why?"

 

"You're noisy, Yongguk, the full moon bothering you?" Sehun took hold of a glass and poured himself wine. The taste calmed him down a little, and he wasn't angry the least tonight. Funny, because he was always anxious and agitated.

 

"He's going to say no," Himchan chuckled darkly, "Yongguk is lying."

 

"I was going to say yes," Yongguk's deep voice had a really calming effect. "Aye, the moon circle is bothering me a lot, and unsurprisingly, bothering you calms me down a little." He took another glass and raised it to Kris, before taking a sip of his own. "What's with this triangle love deal, leech? You sound like you're on the losing side."

 

"My brother won't win her from me," Sehun scowled. Yongguk chuckled in response, feeling satisfied at himself that he incited the response he wanted from the vampire Prince. There was always something so enjoyable seeing the little emotion displaying freely on Sehun's face.

 

"You're as dumb as I thought you would be, if not more."

 

Himchan shook his head, but wholeheartedly agreed with what Yongguk wanted to say.

 

"I'm talking about your cousin. That Kim Jongin. He seems much more possible than the two of you combined."

 

"He is not a direct descendant, and is not considered an heir," Sehun shook his head at Yongguk. "You're making no sense right now, wolfie. Shut up and stop trying to enlighten me with your so-called advice. You're freaking annoying."

 

"Love is a delicate matter, little Prince. And though she might feel an undeniable pull towards you, that doesn't make her love you automatically. Your relationship is fated, but the love is not. Unless... Like your original plan, you want to use her against your brother... That's a different matter."

 

Yongguk's eyes glowed gold under the moonlight, showing much of his face that resembled his wolf gene. He looked frightening, but at the same time, it was also beautiful, enchanting. "It's entirely your decision, of course. But if you are indeed using her right now like I thought you would, then you don't need to love her. It would be a one-sided thing, and you can fully utilize how you want to use her."

 

"Sehun, don't listen to that bastard," Luhan growled, "He's just messing up with you."

 

"But like I said... Love is a delicate matter. You will bend, break and then shatter. Worse, in your case, either you or her will die with the need of affection. I don't even need to guess who. She will break down, and you will regret it. Or maybe, it'd be the other way around. We'll just see how you play out."

 

As much as Sehun didn't want to, Yongguk's words rang like a broken record play on repeat. Annoying, but truthful and hurtful. Affection was something he avoided most, like plague. But now he wasn't sure anymore. With the little warmth she gave out, with those affectionate eyes that stared at him, and a beautiful smile that melted the tip of ice in his heart... He wasn't sure himself.

 

But the other four didn't need to ask Sehun whether or not he loved her. His eyes told stories his lips couldn't tell. They never looked more alive and fiery. They never held such emotion. They used to be empty, and now they weren't.

 

Sehun was in love. That much they could tell.

 

Now they would let time tell Sehun itself. And pray they hoped he wouldn't lose her. Because nobody knew what happened to the rejected mate. Some legend said they died of sorrow and grief, unable to bear the loss of love. Their souls left tormented, and forever remained so, until the mate died and be reborn in another life. Only then would those souls received their redemption and peacefully disappeared into nothingness. 

 

A/N: Fortunately for me, I finish the second story in the trilogy. Unfortunately for you, none has guessed the main character right. I personally love the second story more. There is more romance, and I find the characters more relevant. Their chemistry is better than Sehun and Hana, too. But well, I guess you just have to wait for it. P.S: You know I like side romance. So don't worry about Kai, or Jaejoong, or even Kris. I won't abandon these darlings.