chapter 51

The Fallen #1

            News spread too late that there was another attack in the most southern part of the forest. Help came too slow for the two Fallens. Hana, herself, too exhausted from the training with Ara, heard the news an hour after Sehun and Kris had been brought back to be treated. She had no idea how severe the injuries were, but it was life threatening. Without a second thought, Hana rushed down to the temporary infirmary.

 

            There, he saw Kai and Jaejoong, looking worried and maybe even scared. She paled down even more, her breath hitching from all the anxiety she felt. She couldn't comprehend why Jaejoong was so nervous though. Perhaps it had to do with the sudden attack by the Elders in the area. Or maybe, he just genuinely cared for his younger brother.

 

            "Is he alright?" Hana breathed in and out, tears stuck in her eyes. She wouldn't let them fall down, though. "Are they alright? What happened?"

 

            "The Elders are dead," Jaejoong refused to look at Hana and stared at the closed door, looking a little more absentminded, "Sehun and Kris manage to kill the two Elders and are lucky enough the wolves find them before they lost too much blood. Kris heals fast, so he'll be fine."

 

            "Sehun?" Hana was a bit breathless now. Kai tried to hold her from going forward, but at the moment, she didn't care about anyone else. "What about Sehun? Is he going to be okay?"

 

            Jaejoong didn't reply. He kept quiet and turned away from Hana's intense glare.

 

            "Hana, don't," Kai shook his head at her. She looked at him for a split second, reminding herself to talk to him later, but now, she just had to pull away from Kai, open the door and went in. There was nothing Kai could do to stop the stubborn girl. Though he did feel something broke inside when he watched her figure disappeared behind the door, knowing what could possibly happen between Sehun and Hana.

 

            With a heavy sigh, Kai glanced at Jaejoong and walked away. He should have known the consequence of loving a mated vampire. Like Luhan said, the only thing that came with it was a broken heart.

 

            Lying on the bed, pale and weak, was Sehun. His lips looked dead, colorless. His whole face was bloody. Apparently no one tried to clean him up firsthand. The shirt he was wearing was torn apart, and unlike his usual closed up clothing, he was showing a lot of skin this time. But that was the least she was concerned about.

 

            Hana wiped away the tears from the corner of her eyes. She didn't want Sehun to see her tears on him. Carefully, without making a sound, she approached the bed and observed his condition. Physically, he was healing just fine. The wounds hadn't closed on completely, and there was very horrible deep scars on his stomach, but it had stopped bleeding. Sehun would be as good as new in a day time. She knew she shouldn't worry, but seeing him so weak and helpless just... literally broke her heart. As if she was the one to experience such pain.

 

            Hana knelt down beside his bed, in relief and in sorrow, both she felt at the same time. In his deep slumber, he looked peaceful and calm. But was he, really?

 

            "You know I can hear you, right?" Sehun's eyelashes fluttered open. He didn't look at Hana beside him, but at the white ceiling, seemingly interested with it. "Your heart was beating so loudly when you came in."

 

            Hana apologetically looked down, "I am sorry for waking you up, then."

 

            "What are you doing here, Hana? What makes you come?"

 

            Never had she heard a more frustrating question. Why else would she rush down here when her whole body was dancing in fire from all the training she had? Did he need her to spell it out for him? Sehun knew. But he needed to hear it from her directly.

 

            "I was worried about you. They said you suffered very severe injuries and I want to make sure you're fine," She heard Sehun's calm, even breaths. He didn't seem to listen, but he did. He just didn't make the effort to make it look like he did. He blinked a few times, creating a long pause, before he said,

 

            "I am fine. You don't need to worry too much."

 

            "You look...terrible," Hana blatantly said, without the intention to insult him. She grabbed a wet clothe on the table and gently pat Sehun's face. "They didn't bother to clean you up, did they?"

 

            Sehun flinched, and Hana muttered another quick sorry before patting the clothe more gently. There were so many cuts on his beautiful face that it was scary. Hana didn't know how strong the Elders were, but seeing the wounds on Sehun's body, she didn't need to doubt them anymore.

 

            "Their jobs is to make sure I will heal quickly. That's the only thing they do," Sehun replied without a hint of emotion, as if he was so used to this that he didn't feel anything anymore. "You don't need to help me, Hana. I am fine. You can go."

 

            Hana stopped patting, looking a little annoyed, "I am staying. Whether or not you like it, I will stay here until all the wounds are healed. You can't even move a finger, Hun. Which part of you is fine?! Don't try to talk back. Just... Let me stay with you please?

 

            Sehun didn't reply. She knew he agreed to this. Every so often, he would close his eyes a little longer and flinched. The wounds still hurt. It would continue hurting him until they were completely healed.

 

            "By the way... You should really change out of your clothes. It's dirty." 

 

            Sehun finally grunted. He furrowed his eyebrows together, and with an attempt to move his hand, damaged more bones opinion his hand. He groaned in pain and gave up, lying completely still on the bed. "Just take it off. Rip it off. I don't care. I don't need a clothes until my stomach is healed."

 

            Hana was hesitant. Sure he saw guys shirtless before because she was in the swimming club, but to see Sehun shirtless? That was a completely different topic. She blushed tomato red just thinking about it. What would her poor heart do when he was shirtless? Probably jumped out of her chest, explode, and flew up to soar the sky.

 

            "Why are you standing there like a statue? Aren't you gonna help me?" Sehun asked her softly, probably because speaking a little louder hurt. Hana slapped herself mentally and walked over to the bed. If Sehun wouldn't mind this, then why should she?

 

            Placing her hand on his shirt, she ripped them off, eyes helplessly glued to his sinful body. Her heart was thumping loudly, to the point that it was the only sound she could hear. Goodness why... Why must she feel this way towards him? It wasn't fair that she felt this one-sided feeling towards a man who couldn't love. Hana finally looked away, face flushing in shame.

 

            "How was your training?"

 

            Hana looked at him, patting the wet clothe onto his body, particularly avoiding his stomach area. She refused to look at him in the eyes, and replied, "It was unexpected? I don't know... It's just so overwhelming to know that I could have that kind of cool abilities I often see in the movies."

 

            "Did Ara go hard on you?" Sehun let out a small smile, trying to imagine the Faery teaching the girl. "Isn't she a good teacher?"

 

            "Do you know her? Yea, she's good. Very strict, but good," Hana nodded, thinking about her short training with Ara. They were going to have another training tonight, after she was fully recharged.

 

            "Ara is Kris' sister," Sehun replied, "I met her after I became a Fallen. She's famous."

 

            "Well, she is beautiful," Hana complimented, though she knew beautiful was an understated word for the Faery. More like 'unworldly' or 'heavenly'. She was really beautiful.

 

            "That, also, and the rumor that she might become the next ruler of the neutral zone after Kris left," Sehun chuckled a little, though it sounded more like a soft purr to her ear. Hana's eyes narrowed and she asked back, "What's a neutral zone?"

 

            "It's a secret Court of the Faery Clan. They are the one to keep the peace between the Summer and Winter. They hold a very high position amongst the Faeries, but there are only very few of them who can live the life of a neutral Faery."

 

            "So Kris was like... The King of a Faery Court?" Hana chuckled, noting how he did look so noble from the very first time they met. He just had a different aura from the rest, much like Sehun. "That sounds believable."

 

            "Well, if you know as much, you won't doubt him," Sehun let out a soft sigh, "He suffers less injuries, though his opponent is much stronger than mine."

 

            "You sound like you're frustrated with that," Hana remarked, her bright eyes sparkled a little under the dim light. Sehun chuckled again, and tried to lift up his hand again. Hana caught him midair. He seemed to be trying to reach onto her, but she feared his injuries would be opened up again and held him down, caressing the side of his face lovingly. "If you think you're not strong enough, that's not true at all. You are strong. That's why you managed to kill the Elder, didn't you?"

 

            Sehun closed his eyes, recalling how he drove the monster with a stab to the heart, choking him to death. He was barely unconscious, by then. His knees were giving up on him, his whole body paralyzed in intense pain. "Yes I did. But that doesn't make me feel proud."

 

            "It's only normal that you don't," Hana leaned in closer, capturing his beautiful dark eyes, "It's the humane side of you that shows that you still have mercy, that you do feel and care. You're not as hopeless as you think you are."

 

            "But I kill often. I killed more than a thousand, and I felt nothing from it. Now..." He paused, turning his head to the side so that he could see her mate perfectly well. "Now it's different. I don't know why..."

 

            "It's the compassion you have towards your clan. It's the little feeling left inside of you that made you feel. You are a good person deep down inside, Sehun. I know you are. A Fallen or not, you still have your second chance to life."

 

            He felt bitter afterwards. It was a bittersweet taste on his tongue, and the sudden courage that made him reply without a second thought, "My second chance is with you, Hana. I'm sure you know that."

 

            It was an invitation from him; one she'd gladly took in. Hana braved herself, though her heart was still beating, faster by the second as she looked into his eyes, and she saw nothing but a chance for redemption, for his sin and anger, for her past that she wanted to forget and the new life in front of her.

 

            Strangely, there was no doubt at the moment. She had always known it would be him. She might feel a little something towards Kai, and maybe even Jaejoong, but no one made her feel exactly like Sehun did to her. She had imagined this countless of times; how life would be with him. She feared no more.

 

            In the wrong time, she found the answer to all the doubt and question she had.

 

            "And I'm willing to give you that," She leaned in closer, until there was so much space between them. Eyes to eyes, nose to nose, and lips breathing fire against each other. She placed her hand to the nape of his neck and caressed down to his chest, slowly pushing him down when he tried to get up.

 

            Sehun's eyes widened in surprise when she kissed him. It was a good surprise, and he hadn't gotten it for years now. Her soft lips were planted on his, before she leaned back, looking flustered and surprised, herself. It wasn't her first kiss, or her second, or her third, but it felt like the first time. Just too perfect to be described with mere words.

 

            "I'm sorry, it's on reflect," Hana covered her face with her palms in embarrassment, "I'm really, really sorry." She looked at him, still eyes wide from the kiss. She cursed herself for being so spontaneous at the moment, without actually asking him if he had wanted it or not, if this was too quick, or if he liked it as much as she did.

 

            "No, I won't forgive you," Sehun tried to get up again, and Hana pinned him down, immediately, her eyes wide with worry. "I won't forgive you, Jung Hana. Now, kiss me again."

 

            "What?" It was her turn to be abashed at the request. She thought she heard wrong and immediately pulled away, flustered.

 

            "I said, kiss me, not asking you to retreat, foolish girl," Sehun smirked in satisfaction at her reaction. How she hated that smug grin on his face right now. But oh well, she loved him anyway.

 

            "Shut up and lie down," Hana placed her hand on his cheeks and dove in for another sweet, deep kiss. He responded immediately, like it was natural for him to do so. His lips moved slowly against her, trying to assure her that his heart was hers, even without words of confession or poems of love. She was perfect and she was his.

 

            His and his only.

 

            He smiled into the kiss and groaned when she pulled away again for breath.

 

            "I seriously... Seriously wonder how you convince me into kissing you," Hana panted a little, wiping her lips gently. Sehun made a 'tsh' sound and chuckled, as if he knew. Hana frowned. Well, he had always known everything anyway. Why did she need to doubt him?

 

            "Just admit that you want it as much."

 

            Sehun didn't smile anymore, nor did he laugh. Much like his usual self, he just looked at her smugly. She really, really hated him now for making her seem like a fool.

 

            "Just shut up and rest, Sehun. A patient shouldn't be talking too much. Besides... I need to go on my training. So bye."

 

            She dared not to look at him anymore, and with quick steps and a very red face, walked out of the room, leaving a very amused Sehun behind. Her heart wouldn't take it any longer if she continued being in the same room as him.