chapter 26

The Fallen #1

 Sehun clenched and unclenched his fists. His blood ran cold as he looked at Kris. The male folded his hands and snickered, "You look pathetic, Sehun."

 

"You have no idea what it feels like," Sehun retorted back. He was seriously contemplating whether or not he should punch Kris in the face or just kill him straight away... that is, if he could. His mind wandered back to the last look Hana gave him. He could feel the disappointment as if it was his own. Regret rushed into his vein.

 

"I don't," Kris replied, "But I was wondering why you hadn't chased after her like I thought you would." Sehun raised one of his eyebrows, "You would have stopped me."

 

"I would, but that shouldn't have stopped you from chasing after her. If she is as important as you think she is," There was disappointment in Kris' statement. Clearly he, himself was betting on whether or not Sehun would defy the entire Fallen clan for this one girl. He was disappointed that Sehun didn't.

 

"She is. But the chance of me winning against you is little to impossible," Sehun shook his head. He would have to figure out another way to kidnap her from Jaejoong, though he couldn't help but think about how his brother would try to brainwash her into believing him.

 

"Well, that means she's not worth trying, is that what you're implying?"

 

Sehun turned rigid. Was he that much of a coward?

 

Kris scoffed, "Apparently she isn't. Now, Sehun, you've proved yourself a cold blooded killer. You've behaved the way the Fallen expect you to be; to abandon the girl and stick to the rule. Congratulations."

 

"I don't want that," Sehun bluntly admitted. His expression was calm as the river surface, but his eyes held the shadows and confusion. His insides were raging, like storms. He continued after a moment of hesitation, "I never want to be a Fallen. I just want power to avenge my brother. I never want this kind of life."

 

To kill and to live in empty voids no one could fill. Sehun had never wanted that. He longed for the feelings of freedom and warmth. He had forgotten how those felt like. How much had he suffered through just to get the revenge he wanted? How much longer could he bear this? His body would break and turn to ashes, his heart would still live on with hatred and self-loathing. Sehun shuddered at the thought.

 

Hana. His one and only salvation.

 

"That's a surprise," Kris commented, though his expression wasn't much of a shocked one. "Considering you just dumped the girl who could possibly be your mate."

 

Sehun's eyes widened at the realization. She could be his mate, if he was still a vampire. Technically, he was a rightful heir to the throne. He had just as much claim over it as Jaejoong was. Irony came next, "Possibly. But now that I'm a Fallen, she can't be mine anymore."

 

"That is foolish of you," Kris sharp eyes glared at Sehun's back. Sehun furrowed his eyebrows. "I will remind you because you seem so clueless about this, but the Fallen can only be saved by their one true mate and no one else. You can still go back to being a vampire... If only..."

 

"If only...?" Sehun carefully asked.

 

"If only you complete the mating process... Literally. But that is, if you can beat Jaejoong to it. He can be very charming and persuasive, as you know," Kris folded his hands in front of his chest. Sehun didn't reply, nor did he show any reaction. His mind was blank at the moment.

 

"That was a mere suggestion. Of course you don't need to do that."

 

Sehun's eyes hardened, because as always, he couldn't mutter out a simple 'thank you' to Kris. He didn't want to tell him either, how relieved he was, or whether or not he would comply to this suggestion. He opened his mouth and coldly looked at the older male,

 

"I will think about that. Until then."

 

Kris almost chuckled as Sehun courtly nodded at him before teleporting himself elsewhere. This was one hard-headed male he was dealing with. But that didn't matter. He would get Sehun to utter a 'thank you' the next time they met.

 

***

 

Hana woke up in an unknown place. She scoffed, remembering everything that pounded back into her memories. She was kidnapped by Sehun's older brother who claimed her to be his. The more she thought, the more ridiculous it became.

 

Her eyes looked around, examining the details of the room. There was a very homey smell-of honey and berries. The room was really spacious, for the entire room could sell off as an apartment in Seoul. There was windows on both sides, near the bathroom and near the table on her left.

 

This room was made for a princess, but Hana felt more like a prisoner.

 

A shadow stepped inside the room. Hana stiffened and with a glance she could tell that it was Jaejoong. His presence was overwhelming, but not in the murderous intention like Sehun's was, or Luhan's. Jaejoong felt gentler, nicer, but she doubted he was.

 

"How are you?" He asked, with the tone of a nice guy. Hana flinched back when he tried to touch her. Jaejoong didn't seem really surprised at her reaction, so he pulled back his hand, and stood in his spot, his eyes never leaving hers.

 

"Why do you bother to ask?" Sarcasm dripping from her voice.

 

"Is your head okay? Are you hurt anywhere?" Jaejoong seemed unfazed. He wasn't mad, nor was he annoyed. He was really worried. Though that fact didn't help to soften Hana's heart. She took a step back, just to make sure that she didn't stand too close. Because every time she did, her heart would do a weird flip flop and an euphoric sensation would fill her in.

 

"Why am I here?" Hana retorted, asking back without answering Jaejoong's question in the first place. The male chuckled momentarily, and this time, she blushed. She knew she shouldn't, but how could she not, when this freaking gorgeous male was smiling affectionately at her, calling her his. Hana's face was tomato red.

 

"Looking at your reaction, it seems that Sehun told you a little bit about me."

 

"Enough to judge what kind of person you are," She answered with such confidence. Not once did she think that Sehun might lie to her and she would still believe. Jaejoong folded his hands together and observed her. His mate was so naive, so innocent. He wanted to protect her from this world, to shield her from reality.

 

"I'm not sure if Sehun's really telling you the truth," Jaejoong replied. "It might just be a surface truth."

 

Hana looked at him doubtfully. Jaejoong didn't continue, instead he smiled gently at her. Her heart was his to win from the beginning. There was no need to rush everything. He wanted to start very slowly with her, to earn her trust and love.

 

"You're being really weird and creepy right now," Hana commented bluntly. She never thought about hurting his feelings at all. "When you start smiling out of the blue, you just... scare me."

 

Jaejoong blinked for a second then burst into laughter. No one had ever called him weird, or creepy. At least no one dared to. Everyone worshipped and feared him. No one had ever been so blunt and daring to take the risk of insulting him.

 

"What's funny?" Hana asked incredulously, her eyebrows raising in question. Jaejoong stopped laughing to regain his composure. Hana leaned back a little, because while there was something so calm and warm inside this male, he held shadows in his eyes, and she doubted him, very much.

 

"Do you know why you're here?"

 

Hana shook her head. Did she look like she cared for why she was kidnapped here? He'll she wanted to go back to Sehun, and remembering that, her Mark itched a little and she hissed silently. Her Mark was burning, but it wasn't painful like before, instead it was itching.

 

"It's because of the Mark you bear that you're here," Jaejoong explained. "That Mark, is on your waist, I assume?"

 

Hana glared at him, but the her Mark itched even more than before, "Why are you people keep on talking about this Mark, that Mark? I don't understand it at all! And worse, you are pulling me into this kind of... war I don't know, or ever heard of! Can someone please explain to me what this damned Mark on my back mean!!!"

 

Jaejoong waited calmly for her to finish, and as soon as she did, she panted, taking a deep breath after talking so much without stopping, he gently touched her arms. Hana felt a strange tingle on her stomach. She looked at him questionably, but there was something in his gaze that kept her quiet. Jaejoong smiled. He knew very well what kind of effect he had on his mate, the way she did to him.

 

"Do not talk about the Mark as if it was a curse, because it is not," Upon seeing Hana's incredulous stare, he continued, "This Mark you bear is a gift to the Shadow world, especially to my clan." He looked at her back, but didn't try to touch it. He knew she was scared enough to a stranger like him.

 

"Why?" Her voice lowered down to a whisper.

 

Jaejoong wondered whether he should've kept quiet until it was time to reveal everything, but decided against it. He wanted no secret between his mate and him. "I hope you will handle this well. Ignorance is bliss. Are you sure you want to hear everything?"

 

"The truth hurts, but it is the truth," Hana insisted. Jaejoong almost chuckled again. His mate was one headstrong woman. She wasn't physically strong...yet, but she sure was stubborn in word and heart. That was how a Queen was shaped. With determination and tears.

 

"Well, to begin with, soul mates are the core of our lives. The Shadow creatures might be evil in our own way, but the only person we can ever be affectionate to, the only person we can bond with, is the most precious and cherished possession we will ever have. But the meetings of two souls can be seen as a rare occasion, because most of us die before we can even meet our other halves."

 

"And what has that got to do with me?" Hana cut in, but Jaejoong ignored her and continued,

 

"Especially for the clan leaders... We can't reach our full ability without having the support of our mates."

 

 

Hana raised her eyebrow, "I don't like where this is going."

 

"You, my dearest, are my soul mate, and by that, the heiress to the Queen's throne, the other leader of the vampire clan."