chapter 30

The Fallen #1

A/N: I'm updating chapter 28-30, read chapter 28 first.

 

Slam.

 

"Darn...you, Jongin. It hurts like hell," Hana lied down on the mattress. Sweats covered her body, but it was the least of her concern right now. When Kai had flipped her over with what he thought was a gentle motion, she flung across like a rack doll, and if Kai hadn't reacted fast enough to pin her down to the mattress, she might have broken more than just a few bones.

 

"Hey, don't blame me, Princess, I was gentle," Kai muttered, though he looked worried. He sat down and checked on her, but Hana simply waved him away and groaned when something cracked, "I think my hand's broken. Ouch! It freaking hurts."

 

The girl's eyes widened when Kai put his hands over hers, "No, Jongin, don't you dare to try and ....!" Kai twisted her hands, and in a second the bone was back to place, but the pain doubled. A tear escaped her eyes and her hand limped down to the side. "There, done. That's why I was against the idea of teaching you how to fight. See how much it can hurt you?"

 

Hana didn't answer. Her whole concentration was on the pain. She dared not to make any sound because she would look weak, but the second tears flowed down and more followed. Kai sighed and gently brushed hair away from her forehead, "Hana-ah, let's stop for now and continue when you become a vampire, okay? It will be easier for both of us that way."

 

"Alright, I'm sorry," Hana weakly whispered and buried her face to Kai's chest. Slowly she wrapped both arms around him. Kai was surprised at first, but then he figured that the gesture was nothing more than a friendly one, so he hugged back, not too tightly in fear of breaking her.

 

For the first time in forever, there was comfort, warmth and the feeling of safety in Kai's arms. Hana stopped crying and just snuggled closer. The last time she hugged someone, it was Sehun. With Kai, it felt like having a long lost brother. Or a close friend she'd known for years. This was contentment.

 

"How very nice of you, cousin," Jaejoong coldly commented. He was leaning against the door frame. Hana pulled back from the hug she was sharing and stared into Jaejoong's dark orbs. Her heart constricted for some reason. He was mad, and she was confused. "But I'd appreciate it if you would keep your hands off of her."

 

"Jaejoong," Kai turned back with a big fake smile plastered on his face. Hana feared for his safety and tried to pull away but Kai held her down, signaling with his eyes to play along. He had no guilt whatsoever. "How long have you been watching us?"

 

"Quite some time," Jaejoong snickered. "Now let go of her hand."

 

"She doesn't want to. You enjoy this, don't you Hana dear?" Kai replied with a sickeningly sweet voice. Hana's eyes widened in response. She didn't know what the hell these two were playing, but apparently, their relationships were almost as bad as Sehun's and Jaejoong's.

 

"Hana." Jaejoong called out in a demanding tone. Hana shot her eyes at him. "Come, let's go."

 

Kai tightened his grip onto Hana's wrists. Hana bit her lips and muttered under her breath, too low for Jaejoong to hear, but enough to tell Kai, "It's okay, Jongin. You can come later on. I need to talk to him anyway." Kai's eyes bore to hers and she smiled reassuringly. "It's okay, trust me."

 

Slowly, Kai let her go, but he didn't forget to cast a worried glance at her. Hana flinched as she tried to stand up, and in no time, Jaejoong was beside her, helping her ever so gently. It was hard to believe that someone so scary and intimidating like him could be gentle. Hana slapped away the hand and refused his help, slowly gathering strength in her weak knees.

 

"Let's go, my Lord," Hana sarcastically remarked and walked out first. Gone had the feeling of excitement and happiness, instead nervousness and tension replaced it. The air seemed heavier, or maybe it was just her imagination. Jaejoong took time before he walked side by side with her, hands folding on the back, itching to grab the girl's hand.

 

"So, what do you want to talk about?" Jaejoong asked first. He watched a heavy frown replacing the bright smile on her face. Did he bring her down that much? He sighed silently.

 

Hana stopped in her walk, before resuming. Her mind was completely blank at the moment, "Nothing."

 

"It sure didn't look like nothing when you talked to Kai," Jaejoong couldn't hold back a snicker. Hana's expression became grim, "I walked out to avoid any kind of brotherly fight you might have with Jongi--- I meant... Kai."

 

Brotherly? Jaejoong scoffed. There was nothing brotherly about him and Kai, nor was there any bond that bounded both of them. Their fathers happened to be siblings, that was all. If anything, Jaejoong wished Kai hadn't been born. There was nothing brotherly and affectionate between Kai, Jaejoong and Sehun. "What makes you think I would have a fight with him?"

 

"Your eyes scream kill. You are scary like I said. And you looked so jealous. I don't know what the hell it is for," Hana shook her head and turned back when she noticed Jaejoong paused for a while. "Don't you feel what I feel? As your mate... I..."

 

He looked weak. Hana told herself this might be a manipulation, a way to convince her to this lie, but there was nothing more heartbreaking than to look into those eyes and felt the pain that he felt. She flinched but was unable to move.

 

Jaejoong advanced closer. His scent was becoming unbearable, as if she was drunk in it. He sniffed the air and furrowed his eyebrows, "Why can't I smell anything from you?" Both of them froze in place in an awkward hugging position. "I... I can't smell your scent... What's happening here?"

 

Then Hana remembered that Sehun had mentioned something about concealing her scent to Sungjae, the male witch. Her eyes widened. So it had worked because she didn't get in touch with any kind of blood since then. Nobody would be able to smell her unbearable scent for now. She was really glad.

 

"Maybe I'm not the one you're looking for. Perhaps you've mistaken me for someone else," Hana said confidently though she couldn't conceal the seed of doubt that started to grow on her heart. Jaejoong's eyes were wide in surprise when he pulled away and looked at Hana, "No, there's no mistaken it's you. But your scent... Maybe I should ask Sungjae about this."

 

Sungjae? Hana's ears perked up at the name. "S... Sungjae?" Damn stutter...!

 

"Yes, a witch friend of mine," Jaejoong answered without the slightest hint of suspicion.

 

Hana's eyes narrowed immediately. What was the meaning of this? Which brother was Sungjae betraying? And which one was he supporting? Did Sehun even know about this?

 

***

 

Dongwoon appeared in Jaejoong's library, where he was getting ready to go out. Dongwoon looked slightly breathless, a little bit restless, as well. Probably because he rushed all the way from the human world.

 

"Yes? What makes you come back so fast?" Jaejoong looked slightly irritated as he put on his coat. "Didn't I assign you to a specific task? Have you finished it?" He walked to the door with Dongwoon following close behind,

 

"My Lord, I have found the one who Marked her."

 

Jaejoong stopped in his track and immediately turned back. His brown eyes pierced through Dongwoon's eyes, as if judging him. He needed to know if this matter was true or false. The thought of Sungjae immediately vanished from his mind. He'd rather save his girl from being the Forsaken first.

 

"Are you sure about this?"

 

Dongwoon huffed and took in a deep breath, "I am positively sure, my Lord. In fact, she's already here, roaming around the castle."

 

If looks could kill, Dongwoon would have been dead by now. Jaejoong was very much shocked at first, and with a raspy voice, he mumbled, "It's a she?" Dongwoon nodded, "It is a female vampire, my Lord."

 

"And you're letting this near my mate?"

 

Dongwoon shivered in fear when Jaejoong grabbed his arms with murderous intention. He knew exactly what would happen to those that disappointed Jaejoong. They died. He was scared of that. He didn't want to die yet. He pleaded,

 

"My Lord, please hear me out first."

 

"Tell me why should I?" Jaejoong smirked. His brown eyes turning color to red. Dongwoon could feel his energy slowly being drained out of his body. This was the effect of Jaejoong's horrifying ability. Without their mental ability, the Shadows were forced to fight physically, and that challenging both mentally and physically.

 

"My Lord..." Dongwoon's knees buckled and if Jaejoong didn't stop, he would die soon.

 

Jaejoong scoffed loudly and threw Dongwoon across the room. His temper was definitely getting the best out of him. He took in a deep breath, and felt worry starting to pour in like poison to his body. Was this what he should feel everyday because of the girl? Jaejoong cringed.

 

"Explain then. But don't expect me to spare your life after all of that happen."

 

Dongwoon coughed for air, and stood up with much struggle. "My Lord, there is a reason why I let her roam around the castle." He paused hesitantly when Jaejoong threw him a dark look and urged him to continue whatever logic he was trying to tell. Nothing would convince him anyway. Or at least that was what he thought.

 

"Actually there are two reasons," Dongwoon added on, "The first one, is because you know her personally, my Lord."

 

Jaejoong furrowed his eyebrows. Sure he knew a lot of girls from his past affairs but how did Dongwoon expect him to know who she was? "How do I know her? I have very short term memories of people who aren't useful to me."

 

"It's because she comes from a royal family. She's quite young, but her parents have influential position in the vampire clan, my Lord. She's talked to you a few times, but she's rarely here because she ventures to the human world a lot."

 

Jaejoong didn't say anything and Dongwoon took that as a sign to continue.

 

"The second reason is because the young Miss seems to know your mate and Lord Kai. I've seen them talk to each other. And dare I say they might be close friends."

 

"What is her name then, if she is that important?" Jaejoong sarcastically asked. He didn't really remember names. He remembered faces. But seeing Dongwoon's confidence, then it must be true that Jaejoong knew this girl somehow.

 

"She comes from the Hwang family. Her name is Miyoung. Hwang Miyoung."