chapter 20

The Fallen #1

A/N: As I will be gone for three weeks, I will upload three chapters at the same time. Please proceed to chapter 20 to start reading.

 

 

Hana and Sehun were both standing in front of the hotel. Sehun folded his hands in front of his chest, his head looking up, as if he was waiting for something to come, or a raindrop to fall. The night was calm, but there was an eerie silence in the distance. Sometimes, Hana could hear howls of the unknown creatures from afar.

 

She shivered a little. Fear gripped her heart of the risk she was taking. Tonight was the night she finally slipped away from the human world to its parallel universe, the Shadow world. Hana didn't know what awaited her there, but she trusted Sehun to know what was best for both of them.

 

"Who are we waiting for?" Hana asked. Sehun turned his head slowly, still having the same cold face. But there was something else beneath the icy thin surface. Sehun was restless. His insides was struggling between keeping his honor, or fulfilling his oath. When he caught Hana's curious gaze, he blinked and the thoughts were momentarily forgotten.

 

"Ah," Sehun breathed in, as if he just realized what the question was, "We're waiting for Luhan. He should be here soon." Hana nodded and continued playing with the edge of her shirt. "Why are we waiting for Luhan?"

 

"Because we need a portal to the other world. And the guardians of the Portals are the Fallen ones. And not a lot of us can open it. Only a few selected ones like Luhan, and Kris." Sehun saw Hana's confused expression. "Kris was the tall male that came to help yesterday."

 

Hana suddenly chuckled, "The scary looking one?"

 

Sehun nodded, observing how Hana's eyes twinkled when she smiled. Did all girls smile like that? Sehun took a deep breath in, and then let it out. He never noticed. "That's the first time I hear so." Hana's eyes gazed softly at him,"Which part?" There was a strange thud to his unbeating heart.

 

"That Kris looks scary," Sehun's eyes never left her. Hana laughed again. Kris had that kind of impression on her, especially when he scrutinized her up close. She didn't think she would ever forget that. "That's strange. What does people normally think of him, then?"

 

"With that kind of look, he's broken countless of hearts," Sehun replied. Hana hummed in agreement. Kris did look like a Greek God statue she once saw. God had sculpted him to perfection, giving him the finest of a man's features. Same goes to Sehun, who looked incredibly handsome as well. But that was one thing Hana would never tell.

 

"Why are you blushing?"

 

Hana gulped and found Sehun's cold eyes on hers, observing whatever she was thinking. Hana cursed herself mentally and replied, "I am not blushing." And later on, fanned herself. "It's just been kinda hot lately." Sehun gave her one humorless smirk. Or at least that was a very small, simple lips tightening, pressed into a thin line, forming an almost nonexistent curve by the end.

 

"I know what girls think about when they see the Shadow creatures, Fallen or not," Sehun stated, and Hana swore she could detect pride and smugness in his voice. "You, human, are drawn to us like bees to honey." Hana snorted, blame that face of his! Sehun threw a side glare at her, to show that he knew what she was thinking about.

 

"What a humble reply, Sehun, really." Hana sarcastically answered, her voice dripping with acid. Sehun, as always had no reaction whatsoever, except that this time, he talked back, "I'm merely stating the fact, human." The two then glared at each other, as immature as it seemed.

 

"What are you two doing right now?"

 

Luhan stepped out of the shadow, and Hana glanced at him, being the first to break the glaring competition between Sehun and her. Luhan looked worn out tonight, his hair messy and all over the place. Luhan's mischievous eyes didn't shine quite as bright as any other night, and he put on a heavy frown that didn't suit his childlike face.

 

"We were just wondering when you'd finally showed up," Sehun sarcastically remarked. His eyebrows furrowed together in annoyance, and he looked murderous, as always. Hana stared at them in amusement. They might appear like enemies and threatened each other, but they were always there for one another.

 

"I was considering that, as well," Luhan grunted, "I never thought you're crazy enough to side with her after Kris' warning." Sehun groaned, "I don't care whatever hell you're thinking about. Just open the Portal and get this over with."

 

This time, Luhan didn't glare back at Sehun. He simply stared at Hana, wondering if this one human was really worth it all. Sehun was risking his life in a war he couldn't win. Besides, Sehun seemed to have forgotten the rule of a Fallen. He couldn't be attached, and now he was, even though Sehun didn't seem to realize that.

 

"Very well, Sehun," Luhan finally spoke, a small wind whirl appeared in his palms. Hana stared at it in wonder. The transparent liquid form was circling Luhan's hand like a snake. "You owe me a big favor in exchange of this. And remember that this will be the last time you can ask me a favor one-sidedly."

 

"You can have that favor from me," This time, Sehun didn't sound so offensive. He casted a quick glance at Hana and nodded at Luhan. His former friend sighed and stared at the wind whirl which was getting bigger and bigger. There was a small light, coming out from the center of the swirling, and it grew.

 

"Your Portal is ready..." Luhan's eyes were focused in his new made portal, one big enough that Hana didn't have to bend down to enter. The Portal kept on moving, like water, and like the wind. It didn't stay in one shape for too long. The color icy blue was particularly eye-catching. "Think of wherever you'd like to go. And human girl, hold Sehun's hand tightly or you'd get lost in the in-between world forever." At the mention of getting 'lost', Luhan gave her one sadistic smirk, to show that he liked the idea.

 

"Come," Sehun motioned at her to get close and she walked up to him, feeling a sudden wave of nausea and nervousness. "There's nothing to be scared of."

 

Don't be so afraid all the time... Hana told herself and took a deep breath. Sehun's hands wrapped themselves around hers, and just like before, their hands fit perfectly well together. His hands radiated warmth and she couldn't help but feel protected and a tad bit more confident with him by her side.

 

"Bye, Meanie," Hana threw a small smile at Luhan and stuck out her tongue. Luhan's smirk turned to frown immediately. Sehun huffed and tightened his grasp around Hana's hands, guiding her to step into the jelly-like liquid from the Portal. "When I say three, you should be ready to jump." Hana nodded, biting her lips.

 

Sehun's voice was soft, almost softer than the howling wind, and when he spoke, "Three!" Hana wasn't ready, but he pushed her in anyway. Hana didn't have the time to scream when her stomach suddenly flipped upside down, and all the food she ate an hour ago threatened to come out.

 

"I wish you lots of luck, for both of you, because you'll need it, plenty of it," Luhan spoke out his last word with a smile so sad it would break anyone's heart.

 

***

 

Jaejoong stepped inside Kris' house, his face contorted with disgust as soon as he smelt the elves' scent inside. Kris folded his hands in front of his chest and let the vampire lord came in, alone. Kris, for one, didn't care how many guards or spies Jaejoong brought, no one stepped inside his house without permission.

 

The two's aura clashed like fire and water, and the whole room lit up instantly with the murderous intention from both parties. Jaejoong sat down comfortably in one of the chairs, his eyes never leaving Kris. The taller male preferred to stand up, though, leaning onto the doorframe casually.

 

"What brings you here, Bloodsucker?" Kris asked. Jaejoong didn't care about the name-calling, because he expected that from a Fallen one. He didn't know Kris very well, and he didn't intend to do so, but he knew Kris was one of the most respected Fallen. He had been longer than most, and so, his emotion was not easily swayed.

 

"I came here, because I believe you will bring justice to me," Each word was spoken very carefully and politely. Kris raised one eyebrow, "And what justice do you speak of?"

 

"I believe one of you has something that is supposed to be mine," Jaejoong leaned forward, his eyes flashing dangerously, "And I wish to take back what's mine. I don't like sharing, you see..."

 

Kris mentally sighed. He knew this topic would come sooner or later. The news must have traveled fast about the human girl that bore the vampire's Mark. Kris kept his neutral expression, but truthfully, he was a bit worried about how this would turn out if he refused to take side and played fair.

 

"What is yours that mine take?" Kris challenged back daringly. "I cannot simply help you without knowing what's right and wrong, don't you think so?"

 

Jaejoong chuckled. He was very calm, not feeling the slightest bit pressure from Kris' presence. "Don't you know that my bride is with one of you?" Kris shook his head, "Unfortunately, I don't follow the affairs of Shadows. Unless you break the rules, of course..." Lies. Kris knew a lot of things about the parallel world.

 

"I suppose I can get her back with my force, but you won't allow it, will you?" Jaejoong taunted, "No, of course no, not with your self-righteousness and peace-driven mindset," he chuckled humorlessly, "And so I am here, asking for your hand to get her back, from who I presumed to be... my own brother..."

 

Kris stiffened, and the aura around him turned dark immediately. So Jaejoong knew... He knew all along. And yet he waited, for Kris' reaction and answer. How very sly of him, to make use of Kris, to bring down Sehun. Kris wouldn't allow it. He shook his head, "I do not dirty my hands for your family business..."

 

Jaejoong waited until Kris finished his sentence.

 

"Nevertheless, I will make an exception for this one. I will punish Sehun for bringing that girl to the Shadow world and abandoned his duty as a human protector."

 

Jaejoong nodded, satisfaction swelled up inside his chest, "I'm glad you know what's good. I will be leaving. Until then, I will see you again." Not as an enemy, but as a temporary ally.