chapter 59

The Fallen #1

            "What is happening?" Hana pulled away from Sehun, looking confused and weary. Sehun let go, but still held onto the tip of her fingers, just so that he knew she was there, and he wouldn't lose her.

 

            The air had grown very still, not a single sound. The tension arose gradually. Still quiet. Not a movement. Until they heard a branch broke up and the growl from somewhere nearby. Hana suddenly gasped, and she frantically looked around for a weapon to use.

 

            A werewolf howled, followed by another, and it sent chills down the spine. She didn't know what it really meant, but the sound of it reminded her of a war calls. Everyone was suddenly moving, crashing onto each other in hysteria. It was uncalled for. They weren't supposed to attack, but then again, nothing was precise at the moment. Their calculations of time had gone wrong.

 

            "Sehun, grab the sword there!" Hana yelled at him urgently and pointed out to the ground, while she ran away to steal a weapon for her own. A thousand people, running into each other wasn't exactly ideal for a starter, and when the Forsakens attacked, it was chaotic everywhere. Some preferred to run to a further area and fought on their own, some went into the abandoned castle and had a battle in the enclosed space. Hana was separated from Sehun, but found Kai nearby.

 

            She heaved a puff and ran behind him, as they stopped in the forest, where the trees surrounded them fully. It seemed so coincidental that in all her fights, Kai would always be there, helping her through everything. She couldn't be more grateful for someone like him.

 

            "To your left!" Kai forcefully pushed her so that she turned around and swirled her sword to slash the enemy. Her eyes widened but she kept her stance and fought. The numbers were a few times more than the last battle they fought, and as if it wasn't enough, they kept coming towards the two. "Don't worry about your back! I got you."     

 

            Hana nodded, though she knew Kai wouldn't be able to look over. He could sense a smile threatening to break out on her pouty lips as she lifted her sword with such grace. She was no longer doubtful and scared.

 

            A sudden storm cut through the Forsakens, parting them through. In the middle of it, Sehun stood gloriously, in a cold glare. Hana stopped for a moment, before she continued to pick up where she left off. From the south and west, both Jaejoong and Luhan emerged, almost too lazily.

 

            Jaejoong was fast, faster and stronger than even Kai and Sehun. When he fought, there was glint of cruelty and lust for blood, which would have scared away most people. Luhan was the same as he was before. His telekinetic was proven very useful when he lifted ten arrows at the same time, daggering ten Forsakens in one go.

 

            "Grandfather!" She heard Jaejoong hissed sharply. His eyes were red with anger and madness. Hana suddenly became alerted at the mention of the Elder Kim. Jaejoong screamed at the air with a maniacal growl, "Grandfather, come out and face me, you Coward!"

 

            Six figures appeared all at once. They were as tall as she could remember, with murderous aura and dangerous eyes. Sehun's grandfather was there, as well, his smirk never ceasing. He found the whole situation amusing, and watched as the youngsters fought their way through, when they could have just used their abilities and whisked the Forsakens away.

 

            "Who are you calling 'coward', Jaejoong?" Soohyun's voice was honey-like, masked with poison and daggers. "Isn't it a nice little reunion we have here? And I see you there, Sehun," he sharply turned to Sehun, who looked back with the same cold eyes. They were both similar in that area. "No longer a Fallen, huh? No matter what you are, you're still a betrayer."

 

            Sehun snorted in response, as if it was the most ridiculous thing he'd heard. "You're calling me a betrayer? What a hypocrite. Look at yourself, Grandfather, and look around to see what you've done. How many souls have you killed from our clan to satisfy your selfish wish?"

 

            "Sacrifice is necessary, you brat," This time, it was Jinyoung who angrily snapped back, "We want to build a better home for this clan."

 

            "You mean a better home for yourselves," Hana cut off, glaring at Jinyoung. She felt a Forsaken cut open her cheeks, and it bleed, but she quickly finished the creature off and turned back to Jinyoung, Soohyun, and the other Elders. "The throne is rightfully Jaejoong's and Sehun's. You aren't supposed to intervene."

 

            "We can, if we find them unfit for the position," Elder Shin remarked, his eyes vengeful, "One murders his father, one betrays the clan for vengeance. Tell me, how can this clan be led by them?"

 

            Hana in a deep breath, willing herself not to lose to the anger within. She was so close to losing her temper and yelled in every cursing language she knew. Finally, she let out a frustrated groan, "What other proof do you have to justify either one if them is not a great leader?! Jaejoong might have ruled with an iron hand, but that's why the enemies feared him. He's a good, and strong leader. You can't just overlook everything for one sin he'd done! All of you are no saint, either!"

 

            The outburst was uncalled for. It took everyone by surprise. No one dared to speak up until Elder Shin decided to grab her neck and dragged her aside. She yelped and tried to break free, but the Elder was really strong. She was lifted off the ground, thrashing wildly while Jaejoong growled possessively and chased after her.

 

            "That won't do," Soohyun stopped him and pushed him backwards. He was the strongest physically, and the only one in the Elders who weren't affected by Jaejoong's nullifying ability. He didn't need any elemental power or ability to fight his grandson, and that way, it was only fair for both of them to fight sword and fists.

 

            "Sehun!" Luhan called out, much to his surprise. The doe eyed boy didn't look so tame in a battlefield. "You go after her! Kai and I will handle this."

 

            Sehun didn't need to be told twice as he rushed to aid Hana, who was screaming in pain from Elder Shin's ability. He was able to deliver pain with a single touch. Hearing her screams was agonizing. He rushed faster with heart beating like a drum. Fury and hatred clouded his eyes at the moment, a feeling he knew all too well.

 

            "This will teach you not to speak up against the Elders anymore," As soon as he spoke, she felt a jolt of electricity down her spine. Hana gasped for air when her whole being was lit up in invincible fire, and her insides torn apart. She had never felt anything so painful before.

 

            "If you try to touch me, I'll kill her," Shin Sungrok, the Elder threatened. It sounded much more like an empty threat to him, but he took no further steps. Sehun warily looked at Hana, before snapping at the Elder, "You can't kill people with your touch. I know your ability, and it won't work damn on me."

 

            Kai stood by Luhan's side, close enough to know that he looked a bit pale. His eyes were wild in flame, waiting for the movement from the enemies. It was four Elders surrounding two young vampires. It wasn't exactly a fair fight for the two, but it wasn't like help would come anytime soon.

 

            "Jongin," Luhan said, his palm a little wet. "You must take on the physical attack. Leave the rest to me." That would be quite useful to combine Kai's teleportation and Luhan's telekinetic together. Kai nodded, and disappeared, only to appear in front of Elder Jung, who wasn't fully ready. He draped his arms around the Elder's neck, choking him in purpose, as the other Elders growled and charged at Luhan.

 

            Luhan took a step back and had his poisonous daggers ready. The daggers were covered with witches' potion, so deadly that it could paralyze and kill a vampire. At first the Elders seemed hesitant about their next steps, as the three circled around one Fallen, hissing.

 

            "You think you'd win so easily, don't you?" Elder Jung grinned, though he was coughing hard. He put his hand over Kai's, and sent a stinging pain to his arms. Kai hissed and jumped back instantly. "What the hell was that?!"

 

            He saw a small spark from Elder Jung's finger tips and groaned in realization. He couldn't touch him. And that put him at a big disadvantage. He always counted on his physical strength, but when faced with elemental enemies like this, he had to plan something out in an urgency. Kai cursed when the Elder moved as fast as lightning and appeared behind him.

 

            "You're not fast enough," He remarked, clicking his tongue in disappointment when Kai ran to the front and away from him. "Such a pity I have to spare you under Soohyun's order. Otherwise, you'd be dead by now."

 

            That had him puzzled. Why wouldn't he strike to kill? If Soohyun ordered the Elders not to kill Kai, there must be a good reason behind it. He teleported face to face with Elder Jung and delivered a hard punch to his stomach. The Elder fell back, but he caught Kai's wrist with him and pulled him down, sending more and more electricity, causing Kai to bit back the scream in his mouth.

 

            He quickly pulled back, and elbowed Lord Jung on his ribcage, though it hurt him to do so. The effect of numbness took over, and Kai doubled over, hauling to the ground in pain. Elder Jung smirked and stood up, kicking him in the face. Satisfaction was clearly written in his face when he saw Kai's contorted expression.

 

            Despite all his difficulties, Kai snapped a finger and teleported not too far from there, behind Luhan. A groan escaped his lips and he wiped away the blood on his mouth. The taste was disgusting. "Just for a few moment, Luhan." His voice became a soft whisper, "Just a few moment..."

 

            Luhan didn't say anything but when he detected Elder Jung's movement, he moved a finger and tried to strike him on the chest. Unfortunately, he wasn't fast enough. The Elder cleverly dodged the attack and punched him on the face, delivering a harsh and deadly blow. Elder Cho, one of the youngest among them, grinned in satisfaction and cornered Luhan.

 

            But Luhan was strong enough to get up and tackled him on the feet. Both of them fell down at the same time, with another Elder from the Go family trying to help. Elder Jung and Elder Han both went to Kai, trapping him while his injuries were healing fast. He spat on the ground and murderously glared at both.

 

            The two put up a good fight against four, but with their strength and abilities restrained, both of them lost in no time. Kai, especially, was beaten till he was close to death. The only reason the Elders spared him was Soohyun's order against it. While the same rule didn't apply to Luhan. They beat him badly, but he still fought bravely. There was something admirable about the way they stood against their enemies even when they knew it was hard to win.

 

            "What.a.party," Luhan scowled when he heard the all too familiar voice and sarcasm. Yongguk, with his huge sword, slayed through the Forsakens and grinned his crooked smile. "You didn't even invite me." He leaned onto his sword, completely relaxed at the moment. His sword was planted to the ground, the width almost as wide as Yongguk's body.

 

            Beside him was Himchan, his former beta. The two were always together, despite the Fallen rule of not associating with anyone. If Luhan had become a Fallen out of feeling, the same went to Himchan, though his was more brotherly than anything. He had once sworn his life and death to Yongguk. That he would live as Yongguk pleased, and died only when he told him to.

 

            The four Elder had alarmed expressions on their faces. They knew Yongguk when he was the leader of the werewolf clan. He was fearsome, powerful, and brutal. No enemies had ever escaped his claws before. And the vampires knew better than to mess with Yongguk's temperamental attitude.

 

             "Stop being such a show off," Luhan spat and glared. Yongguk grinned again, upon watching Luhan and Kai's bloody state. There was nothing he liked more than blood and fight. "My, my. You look much, much better with blood all over your face."

 

            Luhan grumbled, but had no time to say anything when Yongguk lifted his big sword. Elder Seo and Elder Han exchanged looks with each other, and as they pulled Kai up by the collar, they made a dash towards Soohyun and Jaejoong, who were still fighting brutally. Yongguk shook his head, but focused his attention to Elder Cho and Elder Go. He his lips in anticipation and strived forward.

 

            Himchan, however, spotted three figures fighting against each other and decided to help that one. They were Sehun, Hana and this Elder whose name Himchan couldn't remember. All of them looked almost clean, with no blood on their bodies. The only marks visible were burn marks on the Elder's body.

 

            "Bloody hell," Himchan muttered in surprise when he saw that the bruise on the Elder's hand didn't go lighter. It became darker as times passed, which was unusual. Wounds normally healed very fast, but apparently, not this one. "What the hell happened to you...?" He turned to Sehun and knitted his eyebrows together. He wasn't a Fallen anymore.

 

            Sehun scoffed and said nothing in return. Hana was panting on the ground. She looked horrified and kept staring at her trembling hands.

 

            Elder Shin rushed to Himchan, and touched his upper arms. He instantly tripled over to the ground, writhing in pain. Sehun quickly built a temporary wind shield, and sent it to the Elder with such force that the air made noises from the contact. Shin Sungrok quickly ran back to avoid the hit.

 

            "Three against one. Where are your dignities?" Sungrok growled and tried to touch Hana, who was nearest to him. Hana let out a muffled cry and backed away almost instantly. She couldn't control her ability, and it was so overwhelming that she felt like she would explode soon.

 

            "You have no right to talk about dignities," Sehun tried to knock him out, but to no avail. The Elders moved again, inching closer to Hana. He reached out his hand for her, and she trembled even more. The memories of pain was still fresh like a new cut. "Don't touch her, you coward!"

 

            Fire. Flame. Burn. Those three words hurt her head and she reached out her hand to welcome Elder Shin's pain. But instead, she felt nothing. And he felt something.

 

            Sehun stopped on his track, eyes wide as he saw black flames engulfing Sungrok all of a sudden, eating him from the inside. Hana took a few steps back, feeling a little light headed and much better now. Himchan stood up, surprised to see the sudden turn of event. The flames didn't stop, and the Elder's scream of agony was loud for everyone to hear.

 

            Soohyun growled when he heard the scream. He lost one warrior, but there could be plenty more to replace him when they won. He held Jaejoong by the throat, and Jaejoong struggled to keep his stance. Their strength was almost the same, one fighting against the other. It was hard to determine who'd win if this continued.

 

            Elder Jung forced Kai to kneel down, his face facing him. Some of his wounds had began to heal, but he wouldn't want Kai to go berserk all over again, so he put his hand over Kai's shoulder and sent electricity towards his body. He watched as the younger boy screamed and screamed.

 

            "Ask him the question, Jinyoung!" Soohyun hissed at Elder Jung, "Ask him and make him vow."

 

            Jaejoong stopped struggling when he heard that. What vow was he talking about?

 

            Elder Jung turned back to Kai, with a look of disdain, "Such a pity. I want to have more fun with you, but time does not allow it." He paused and held Kai's chin, "Just because you're the last in the Kim bloodline. Else he wouldn't have spared your life."

 

            Kai spat blood onto Elder Jung's face and glared at him hard, "What bull are you talking about?"

 

            Elder Jung growled and wiped away the saliva, his claws digging deep into Kai's skin. The boy bled but he couldn't careless. "He wants to make you the next King, you fool."

 

            Jaejoong's eyes widened instantly. His grandfather had wanted to make Kai the ruler of this clan? But why? Why? He couldn't understand at all.

 

            "Jaejoong is too dangerous. We can't control him. He doesn't listen to the council and does as he pleases," Elder Jung remarked, looking at Kai's stunned expression with satisfaction. "Sehun is worse. He's just a disappointment. His betrayal brings shame to the whole clan. If he becomes King, there will be rebellion everywhere. It's only right with you."

 

            "What makes you think you can control me?" Kai yelled furiously. The frustration he had pent up all this while surfaced. Soohyun snorted. Though Kai was his grandson, he never really paid any attention to him. Simply because he wasn't a possible heir to the throne. Until he thought it over again. That Kai might be a better choice compared to Sehun and Jaejoong.

 

            "Think of this as an opportunity," Soohyun coated, "You will be the ruler. You can have anything you want. And Hana." He stopped to examine Kai's reaction. "That girl. You can have her as your Queen."

 

            That offer did sound tempting. Kai contemplated for a bit, and Soohyun purred in contentment when he saw the thoughtful look on Kai's face. Jaejoong began thrashing again, and Soohyun held his neck tighter, almost cutting off the air supply from him.

 

            Kai heard a gasp, coming from none other than Hana, herself. Behind her, Himchan and Sehun lined up together. Both looked disbelieving and disappointed. When he looked back to Hana, his heart broke all over again. But he'd made his decision. He wanted this.

 

            "I'm sorry, Hana," Kai gave her a look and looked up to Elder Jung. "I will accept this offer."