chapter 22

The Fallen #1

A/N: As I will be gone for three weeks, I will upload three chapters at the same time. Please proceed to chapter 20 to start reading.

 

 

"You can stay for tonight if you want," Sungjae, the Witch, suggested. With each step he took into the dark cave, torchlight would be lighted on each side of the wall. Hana was the last in line, walking behind Sehun, watching in wonder as she walked deeper and deeper inside.

 

There had been no trace of animals, and while the breathing walls scared her a bit, she felt more comfortable. Sehun glanced at Hana, and watched her expression carefully. He noted how she would smile at times, when she felt like she saw something, when there was actually nothing. Her eyebrows would then, furrowed together in childlike naivety, as her lips pressed into a wider smile. He would start wondering what she was thinking, and what made her so happy about it.

 

"The sun is sinking at west, it's best if you'd stay," Sungjae spoke again when he heard no reaction from his companion. Hana looked at Sehun, mouthing a 'let's stay here for one night'. Sehun nodded at her, "That will be a good idea, Sungjae."

 

When they reached the deepest part of the cave, Hana was expecting water, and a lot of stalactites to decorate the space. Her eyes widened in awe. wide opened. Sungjae turned back, and with a wave of hand, an almost invisible barrier slowly dispersed into nothing, leaving the bare eyes to see what was inside his hidden chamber.

 

"Welcome to my home..."

 

'Creatures of light'. That was how Sungjae named those small, bees-like creatures that emitted light from their bodies. They were the ones that lit up the whole chamber, creating a forest-like illusion around the closed space. The stalactites would reflect the light from those creatures, like crystal lamp. There weren't any beds, but Hana wouldn't complain about that. This place was so grand, so fairy tale-like, so breath-taking...

 

"Close your mouth or those creatures would fly in," Sehun warned her jokingly. Hana's eyes widened in horror and she clamped her lips tightly in fear. Sungjae's passive eyes glanced back after hearing Sehun's voice.

 

As a Witch, Sungjae didn't see only the outer appearance, but the inner thoughts and aura as well. What he saw now, was a soft yellow light from Sehun's aura, which supposedly meant hope. To see the flicker of hope inside a Fallen creature was surely something new. They were supposed to be heartless creatures. Heartless, desperate... Sungjae chuckled, But they aren't helpless...

 

"You can have any spot you want, but be warned not to venture in too deep," Sungjae spoke, and Hana's focus was now back on him. "I do not live alone in this cave. There are things far more terrible inside than the creatures in the outer world."

 

"Now, Sehun, you can tell me your wish," Sungjae smiled, "Though I can't grant them all, I can help you where you will need me most."

 

His eyes were still blank, but Sungjae's words offered enough comfort. Sehun nodded. He didn't wish for much anyway. "I need you to conceal her scent and trace, first and most importantly. As you know," both males' eyes darted to Hana, "Her scent will intensify ten times sweeter, and that's what I fear most."

 

"Very well, Sehun, you will see it done. But you and the human must know the consequence of this whole ordeal," Sungjae warned, "She must not touch blood; be it any kind of blood, if it comes from flesh. You know what this means, don't you?"

 

Sehun's eyes hardened. The consequence had come off as difficult. He looked at Hana's confused gaze at him. She was meant to be a vampire. If she couldn't touch blood, she was better off dead. Sungjae shook his head when he read off Sehun's emotion, "If she touches blood, all my spell on her will be futile. Her scent will return."

 

"I accept the deal," Sehun replied without looking back at Hana even once. "My second wish would be regarding my damned brother. If there's any weapon to kill him, if there's anything strong enough to destroy his ability..."

 

"My answer..." Sungjae interrupted Sehun, almost too calmly for his liking, "remains the same. You will not obtain what you can't have, Sehun." He turned to Hana, "If you don't mind, Dear, you can explore the nearer area while we talk." Hana glanced at Sehun and nodded. "You can follow the light. These creatures won't misguide you." Hana nodded again, a heavy feeling appeared in her chest, but she ignored it and walked away.

 

"I do not play riddles, Sungjae," Sehun sharply said when he knew Hana was out of hearing area. "You have been telling me the same answer since the day my Father died."

 

"Your father is his father, as well, Sehun. His greed is his greatest power, as well as his weakness," Sungjae seemed undated by Sehun's rudeness, "You can't win him in a fight." Sehun breathed in with a soft hiss, "You don't need to remind me, Sungjae. I know that well."

 

"Sehun, your brother cannot be defeated physically, for he is by far, stronger than even most of the current clan leaders... Even the Elders would have a hard time fighting him," Sungjae looked at him, shadow over his face. There was a sad look in his eyes, "The heart matter, however, is a different solution. That is... If you can do that."

 

"You're talking about Hana, aren't you?" Sehun's face was suddenly grim.

 

"Maybe," Sungjae replied, his tone soft and full of pity. Sehun didn't like the way he was talking. He didn't need to be pitied. "You're getting attached to her, aren't you, Sehun?" Sehun wanted to deny, but he didn't have the heart to. He couldn't deny it. "But must I remind you, the Fallen can't fall in love."

 

"I know that very well," Sehun hissed. "I haven't forgotten my duty yet."

 

"No, Sehun, you are starting to," Again, pity... "You, who survived this way for a hundred year and so... You, Sehun, who never ever talk, or pity anyone before this... The heart is confused, I see, because you can't and you won't give out your heart..."

 

Sehun was still quiet. He was still. His unbeating heart begged to speak, but Sehun wouldn't let it. "I am a Fallen, Sungjae. It isn't that simple. My heart can't love anyone as I please. When I took my binding vow, this was one of the consequence I have to live with."

 

The binding vow was also called the Fallen's vow. It was a vow every Fallen should take before they started their duty. The vow might not be the same for every individual; nevertheless the words all meant the same. Sehun remembered clearly what he said that day. 'To let my heart be consumed with dark, deep hatred to kill. Until the day I die.'

 

"There is a way to save you, Sehun, you know that," Sungjae reminded. Indeed there was a way. The Elders said that only his one true mate could satisfy his insatiable lust to kill. Then, his mind would find peace. Sehun used to believe that his last girlfriend, Soojung would be his mate, but now he was not so sure anymore. Not since she died anyway...

 

"Soojung is not destined for you, Sehun," Sungjae spoke out his thought, "She was a sweet, loving girl, but she wasn't made for you. You can't lose hope for another one."

 

Sehun shook his head, "I've lost my faith in mating, Sungjae. That matter no longer interest me. I have another goal, and I won't be able to sleep before that happens. My brother must be killed. Only then can I find peace in this restless life."

 

"And Hana? Can you sacrifice her for your own selfishness? Is that why you protect her? Is that why you bring her here?" Sungjae sounded surprised. There was a slight hurt in his voice, knowing how much his friend changed since he became the Fallen. Revenge had blinded his eyes. Sehun no longer cared about anything else anymore.

 

Sungjae was expecting, no, he was hoping, that Sehun would shake his head and said no, because Sungjae could sense the confusion in his heart, the denial in his eyes. Then, all the feelings disappeared and whatever Sungjae felt before was gone, and Sehun looked at him firmly, as if he had made an important decision,

 

"Yes, she serves only for that purpose..."

 

***

 

Hana felt a tickle on her waist, the place where the Mark had been placed. Lately, she had been feeling some sort of burning sensation, but whenever she was with Sehun, the pain was gone. When she was far from him, the Mark burnt again. Hana flinched. How long must she suffer this kind of pain before her future was decided?

 

The girl was troubled, so very troubled... Her mind was tired, for she thought too far and deep, making everything even more complicated. But this was the beginning. The end was long, and it might never come...

 

The water was surprisingly cold...

 

Hana touched a bit, and decided that she liked it. The bottom was blurred, which signified the depth of the water. She wouldn't go in, would she?

 

A hand caught hers. Hana stuttered and tried to pull back, but her effort was proven fruitless. A human head surfaced into the air. The pointy, fish-like ears indicated this was not human. The being was a mermaid, and after her, six more followed.

 

They looked beautiful, as beautiful as the storybook had told. Their skins were pearly white, flawless and smooth. Their teeth consisted of canine teeth, and nothing else. Nonetheless they were beautiful, so much like human, if it weren't for their lifeless eyes; gray and pale... And dead.

 

"It's such a pleasure to meet you," The nearest one smiled, her voice lulling her to comfort. They didn't look harmless. At least not in Hana's eyes. One of the seven mermaids flailed her tail, which was pitch black in color. Hana felt chills through her skin.

 

"A... Are you... Mermaids?" Hana asked in doubt. She could hear the doubt and fear in her voice. The girls laughed, sounding too happy and cheerful. "No, my Dear, we once were, but not anymore."

 

And I think I've heard these countless of times... Hans shook her hand free from the mermaid's grip. "Is there anything you want from me? I have to go back right now because someone needs me."

 

"No, Darling, don't go... We need you here," The nearest one spoke again, and Hana instantly assumed that she was the leader, because the others imitated what she said in pleas. Hana shook her head, "I really need to go..."

 

"Why don't you let the girl go, Ara?"

 

Hana looked back to see Sungjae and Sehun. Sungjae's gentle eyes hid the maliciousness in his voice so well. The witch was serene, and calm, and maybe that was why he looked so dangerous and unpredictable. Sehun, however, was easier to read. His expression showed nothing while his right hand was clutching into his sword tightly, ready to draw it at any moment.

 

"Is she your guest, Sungjae?" Ara, the mermaid sunk back to the water, her dark tails showing nearby. Her sisters hissed in a very low voice, but the noise became obvious as it echoed through the wall. Hana quickly stepped back from her spot, retreating to Sehun's side. As always, she looked timid and passive, but he could hear the decreasing of her heartbeats.

 

"She is," Sungjae replied, "And therefore, your presence is no longer needed."

 

"Very well," Ara slowly swum back, but Hana could see the dangerous glint in her eyes. "Until next time, human."