chapter 41

The Fallen #1

Kris couldn't stand being near to Hanbin. There was so much iron in his body that it was scary. Iron was faerie's biggest weakness. An injury from iron couldn't heal so easily, unless the substance of the iron itself was removed, and that was exactly what Lay, the healer, was trying to do.

 

"How much longer is he going to be asleep?" Jaejoong was getting impatient as the minute passed. It had been a day since Hanbin fell into a comatose, and a day since the Elders left without saying anything. Hana hadn't told Jaejoong nor the others about the threat. She, herself, didn't know why she kept it in for so long.

 

"A little bit more," Lay, the sweet dimpled-male replied, finally taking off his hand from Hanbin's bleeding chest. "I've taken most of the iron from his body. He should start healing by now. He will wake up in a matter of minutes."

 

Jaejoong sighed and nodded, "Thank you, Lay."

 

Lay was a vampire, and clearly, an important one. He was one of the very few people who was on first name basis with Jaejoong. He cherished Lay, and likewise, Lay returned the favor by working as his royal physician. Lay was also, one of the few people, who knew Sehun before birth and gained trusts from both brothers. He stood neutral in the middle, and was often the third party of fights.

 

"I suggest you to stay by his side until he wakes up. He seems conflicted most of the time," Lay pointed to Kris. "He might be immobile physically, but his mental state was in a huge panic. He needs someone he knows, and though you're a Fallen, you shouldn't be so heartless towards your own clan."

 

Needless to say, Lay's advice rendered Kris speechless. Part of him was angry of being told what to do, but instead of retorting back, Kris clenched his fist and sat beside the bed, waiting for Hanbin to wake up. Kai sneered at the scene, deeming it too sweet and corny for his liking. After a tiring day, Hana finally broke into a smile, thanks to Kai.

 

"Are you okay? You don't look fine," Kai leaned in closer to check on her, fully aware Jaejoong and Sehun were both glaring at him. It was a very simple gesture to show that he cared, and it warmed up the girl's heart. Kai really knew her best.

 

"I am fine," Hana replied timidly, "Just a little bit sleepy."

 

"Are you sure?" Kai cocked his head to the side, his face wore an unamused grin. "You look confused and lost. I think you need blood." Hana furrowed her eyebrows at his random statement, but let him pull her out of the room, out of Sehun's curious gaze and Jaejoong's worried one.

 

"Where are you taking me?" Hana rubbed her eyes sleepily and walked faster to match his pace. Their hands were entwined together, one pulling the other gently. "I am so tired, Jongin. I think I need sleep more than blood."

 

"I am taking you to your room. And yes, you do need sleep," Kai remarked, pinching her cheeks playfully, "Your eyes look dull and lifeless without your daily supply of blood. Geez, a newborn like you shouldn't forget your daily dose of drink."

 

Hana nodded at his scolding. She felt like a little child all over again.

 

"But that's not why I call you out," Kai continued, tugging her to his side, eyes on her while walking to the front, "You have been out of it since yesterday's meeting with the Elders. What happened while you were with them, Hana? Jaejoong seems pretty worried about it as well. He can't stop pacing back and forth until the incident happened."

 

"You're a really good observer," Hana simply replied, refusing to meet Kai's stare on her. She felt numb when he looked at her judgingly. Those dark purple eyes that met her red ones, she couldn't bear it. He was reading her, and she didn't want to be read.

 

"You know you can tell me anything," Kai cornered her into the wall, where her back hit it with force. She never felt so timid and helpless since she became a vampire. Her knees were weak, and her heart was thumping madly. She hated feeling this way.

 

"I don't trust you, Jongin," she whispered, breaking his hope to pieces. His hand hovered near her head, and she flinched at the sudden sound. "I am sorry, Jongin. You are close with me because of Sehun. I... I can't be sure of this... whatever relationship we have right now, because it seems so fake and artificial."

 

"I do befriend you for his sake, Princess, I won't deny that," Kai softly told her, "But I'm not completely heartless. I..." He wanted to confess along the line that he somehow fell for her, but decided that the time wasn't right. "I am your friend, not for his sake, not for anyone else's sake, but for mine, for yours..."

 

When she still refused to meet his gaze, Kai touched her arms, and he had a feeling she was breaking down and would soon burst to uncontrollable tears. So he did the only thing that he could think of. He pulled her in, to his arms, and hugged her, amidst of all the trouble and chaos ensued. And nothing, or rather, no one had ever felt so right before.

 

There was her... And only her at the moment. And Kai wanted his Princess to be happy, even if it costed his happiness or his life.

 

"Silly Princess, why can't you trust me the way I trust you?" Kai ran his fingers through her hair, and felt her slowly calming down. She wasn't as stiff as before. Hana melted down completely under his touch. "You know I am here for you. It's not Jaejoong. It's not Miyoung. It's..." He gulped and guiltily continued, "It's not Sehun. It's me."

 

Then he heard a sigh escaping . Hana pulled away and looked at him in the eye. He was unable to tear his eyes away. No matter how many times he had recited this, the same thing was still in his mind. She was there, and she was perfect. Jung Hana was beautiful in his eyes and in his heart and nothing else mattered.

 

"I will tell you over a cup of blood," she finally contemplated and he broke into a huge grin.

 

"Alright, wait for me in your room. I'll be back real fast."

 

Before he could teleport, though, Hana pulled the she of his shirt and shyly muttered, "Jongin-ah... Thank you."

 

Two words, a thousand feeling. Kai cringed at how corny he was.

 

And that was when he realized... He actually realized after a painfully long time, that he was utterly, undeniably in love with Jung Hana. This very girl with whom he couldn't tell why and how it happened, but it just did. Even though his feeling wouldn't ever be reciprocated, but he thought that this was worth it, being close to her and making her happy.

 

He smiled like a fool, because indeed, he was one.

 

She was worth it.

 

"What a huge turn of event," Luhan cut through Kai's imagination and 'tsk'-ed. The angelic Fallen no longer looked angelic when he wickedly smiled, showing a perfect set of white teeth. "So you and her, huh?"

 

Kai tilted his head and threw Luhan a smirk, "What are you talking about, Hyung?"

 

"Don't deny that you're feeling a little something towards our little Princess, Jongin," Luhan mockingly teased. Kai cocked up his perfect eyebrow and stared at Luhan unamusedly. "I don't know why the three of you are head over heels over her."

 

"I don't care what you want to say. I have more important things to do than talking nonsense with you," Kai scoffed and walked away. Luhan persisted though, by walking closely behind him, pestering him like an annoying pest. Kai couldn't wait to get rid of him.

 

"More important things like talking to her?" Luhan added on, fueling more fire to the conversation, "You'd rather talk to her than to me?"

 

"Please, Hyung," Kai sneered, feeling his mean strike coming out. They were starting another pointless fight, as they always did. Both were childish in their own way and there was no stopping it. "I'd rather talk to anyone else than you. Sehun," he cringed, "is a much better choice compare to you."

 

"Surprisingly, that doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would," Luhan chuckled and replied. They were inside the kitchen by now, a lot of maids turning their heads and bowing towards the handsome young Lord. The supply of fresh blood was in the corner fridge, and Kai grabbed a few and two glasses.

 

"Hey Jongin, you don't forget our deals, do you?"

 

Kai shook his head and casually walked pass him. "Of course I don't. I am still keeping my promises, considering that you offer me a very good price in return. If that's what you want to ask, then don't worry, she is not interested in Jaejoong. In fact, she is far more interested with the younger one."

 

Luhan could detect the bitterness in Kai's voice when he mentioned Sehun indirectly. Was this jealousy he was hearing? He chuckled more. "I am aware of that. The offer, however, doesn't include you developing feelings towards her."

 

Kai whipped his head and resentfully looked at Luhan, "You never specify it in the deals. Why do you care about my feelings anyway? I thought you stopped caring the day you left this clan with Sehun?" Irony left a very bitter memory to both of them.

 

"You know you'll be the one getting hurt in the end of the day," Luhan almost yelled at the younger vampire. "You're going nowhere with this feeling of yours, Jongin! She's going to choose between Sehun and Jaejoong, and you're not an option to her. No matter what you feel for her, it's... It's not going to be you..."

 

Kai scoffed instantly, "Are you trying to play the big brother card and act like you actually care about how I feel?" Luhan kept quiet at the moment. "You should stop whatever this is you're doing. I know exactly what I'm doing, and guess what, I don't ing care. If I'm gonna get hurt in the end, then so be it. I'll take the risk if it means that I got to be with her and make her happy."

 

Luhan was left speechless when Kai continued,

 

"I am there for her as her best friend. I don't expect nothing in return. I am not selfish enough to make her mine, nor am I selfless enough to let her go. I am just a man. I feel something for her. I care for her. And I want the best for her. I don't give a care about what my damned feeling would be in the end. You shouldn't, either, Hyung."

 

He coldly turned back and met his gaze, "You're not my best friend and I don't need you anymore."

 

A/N: Author is Team Kai, as you can see...