chapter 34

The Fallen #1

A/N: Double update. I hope I won't be the only one in Team Kai.

 

Miyoung had to go to the human world again to retrieve some necessity. She left Hana completely alone again with two males. Hana could only hope her friend came back faster than she said she would.

 

"Hana, can I talk to you...?" Jaejoong suddenly asked and held her hand. Electricity filled her body, but Hana wasn't sure if this was good or bad. Both their eyes met before Jaejoong's gaze shifted to Kai, "Jongin, leave please."

 

Kai didn't need to be told twice and immediately left the room without a second glance. Maybe he would come visit later. But for now, he would just leave and entertain himself. Hana glanced as his back disappeared from the door and turned her full attention to Jaejoong.

 

They were both observing each other closely, and Hana admitted that she would probably never get used to Jaejoong's intense stare. She eyed him and pulled away from his cold hands. Though temperature didn't matter much anymore, Hana didn't like being kept cold. And she didn't like his touch... at all. It reminded her of Sehun.

 

"Yes? ...My Lord?" Hana was unsure of how to address him properly but she figured out she should just follow everyone else. Jaejoong chuckled darkly and shook his head, making him all the more attractive. It was physical attraction, Hana reminded herself not to get fooled by this weird swirling in her heart, just lust and curiosity.

 

"Please, Hana, I don't need you to be formal with me. You, out of everyone else," The way he spoke of her, it was different. Like he treated her specially. Like she was someone special. It flattered her greatly.

 

"Well then, Jaejoong, what do you want to talk about?" She bluntly asked. Her red eyes flashed him a look he couldn't decipher, but they challenged him all the more. They both sat down on the sofa. "And I beg you, stop staring at me. It's very... unsettling." Truth to be told, it bothered her a lot.

 

Jaejoong turned away and chuckled silently, "Well, I was thinking... That since you have become a vampire and all, well, why don't we make this official?"

 

"Make what official?" Hana tried hard not to make it sound too rude, but if it came out offensive, she couldn't help it. Jaejoong didn't seemed fazed by her sudden outburst, "I will hold a ball to announce you. It's a tradition of the Shadow world to hold a ball for the newfound Queen. Normally we hold it when the Queen reach the age 17 and therefore, legal to be married, but for you, it's to congratulate you as a newborn vampire."

 

"And as a Queen," Hana wasn't stupid. She had thought about it. Maybe all of this sounded surreal at first, but now, not so much anymore. She either took the responsibility or left it, and she wasn't one to just abandon what she should have done.

 

"Yes," Jaejoong's voice was barely a soft whisper, "But it's an introductory party after all, so I won't put that much pressure for you. However, you will have to learn about etiquette and general knowledge." He paused when Hana glared at him. Now he was abashed as to why.

 

Hana smirked sinisterly when he finally noticed. Jaejoong talked as if she was okay with all this, as if she would listen to everything he said. She scoffed mentally. Who did he think she was? Some meek, weak pushover? Or perhaps he thought she was just like any other girl who would agree to everything he said? Hana could tolerate dominance of a male, but only to a certain point.

 

"Did I say something wrong?" Jaejoong asked carefully. He reached out instantly for her hands, merely to seek assurance in it. Hana took a good few second to doubt him and shook her head, "Of course not. Please do continue."

 

Jaejoong continued on, talking about which part she should learn and which part she should not do. Basically, he was trying to explain every lesson she was gonna take in a shorter term. Her smirk grew again, and so was this fluttery feeling inside her stomach.

 

No, it was not love, nor was it lust. It was greed. It was thirst. It was this excitement that maybe there was a chance of rebellion. Who said Hana was gonna pick Jaejoong out of the two possible choices? Her stomach flipped unfavorably. Did this mean she would choose Sehun?

 

Hana's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Would she choose Sehun over Jaejoong? Definitely. But would she want to spend the rest of her life with Sehun? She began to wonder about her own feeling. What would it be if Sehun was not a Fallen? What would it be like, if she chose him?

 

Like? Her mind reasoned.

 

She liked him.

 

Hana didn't even try to deny it for the second time.

 

As unreasonable and sick as it sounded, she did like him more than a companion and a friend. He had, is, and would always be a male in her eyes. And truth to be told, Hana could see herself together with Sehun.

 

Love?

 

Silence followed.

 

A long pause.

 

A not so comfortable question.

 

"Hana?"

 

She blinked.

 

"Hana, are you okay, Dear?" Jaejoong looked concerned. Apparently Hana doze off for God knows how. "I tried calling you a few times and you seem...lost. Is there something bothering you? You don't look fine to me."

 

"Oh, yeah, I am. Just not used to this whole...vampiric thingy. Like... I can see every details, every little things in the darkest corner of the room. And then there's the sound... They are very loud..." Hana was blabbering, but who cared anyway when Jaejoong seemed to believe her? "Sorry. What were you trying to say?"

 

"I was just saying that the ball would be a week from now. You don't have to worry about things like the dress and the guests. I'll take care of it. You just need to attend the lesson I schedule you to."

 

A week? That would be so fast...

 

"I understand," Hana nodded solemnly and smiled at Jaejoong. Only God knew what she was thinking in the back of her mind.

 

***

 

"Instinct, is the first and most basic of all fight," Kai and Hana circled around in a fighting stance. They were both glaring at each other. "If you don't have enough instinct to aid your cute little brain, God forbids you to wear anything other than fancy wedding dress." Kai smirked at the hidden meaning of his words. Hana, though, didn't find anything amusing.

 

"Like this," Kai swiftly grabbed the back of Hana's head and twirled her around. "See what I mean, Princess?" Hana growled. Kai had her completely at his mercy. His hand was around her neck, tight and threatening. "Don't be so feisty and start learning something."

 

"Shut it, Kim-effing-Jongin!" Hana grunted and out her hand on top of his, "I want to wipe off that ugly smirk from your face." She tried to budge him, and surprised herself at how a simple touch from hers could flip him backwards like those movie scenes. Talk about this inhumane strength...

 

"For a record, Princess," Kai got up as fast, looking absolutely fine and mighty, "You're really predictable. I can just," he took a step forward, and when she blinked, he had flicked her forehead so fast and hard she could barely breathe. Then the pain came. "I can just flick you across the room without breaking a sweat."

 

"That's not fair, I'm a first time learner, genius," Hana clutched onto her forehead in pain.

 

"I don't freaking care, my dearest," Kai mocked her. "I'm your teacher and I can do whatever I want with you. I wish, though, by the end of this lesson, my genius mind can get something into that thick skull of yours."

 

Ouch.

 

"Whatever you say, Teach. Let's start again," Hana quickly got up and readied herself so that when Kai came again, she didn't blink and tried to throw at least one swift punch at his pretty face. And so she did.

 

"Oh yes!" Hana laughed and threw her fist up in the air. Kai snorted and looked at her, wiping away the blood from the hard blow. At least she wasn't trained enough to break jaws...yet. "That was just okay. Next time try to put in more strength to your punches. Then you'll see what happen to your opponent."

 

"Shall I try now?" Hana's eyes brightened. She was feeling a little bit giddy and maybe even restless from punching Kai, "I am excited!" And no, when she said it, Kai cringed. Hana didn't look cute saying it, she looked cruel and vile. She said it like she meant it.

 

"Then I'll attack you as well to make it fair," Kai scrunched up his nose in a cute manner. "Deal?"

 

"Deal!" Hana grinned and stepped forward to kick him. Kai, however, anticipated the move and before she could kick any part of his precious body, he raised his hands and punched her face, right in the nose and sent her staggering backwards from the sudden intrusion. He smirked in victory.

 

"Damn you, Jongin!" Hana cursed and yelled. "This hurts like hell!"

 

She swore he had broken her nose. She could hear the cracking. Blood came out from her nose and a little bit from her lips.

 

"Hey," Kai closed in, grabbing his hands around Hana's. She tried to pull away. "Hey, calm down. Look, you're fine. The bleeding has stopped. You look normal."

 

The pain was gone in a minute. And so was the bleeding. The only blood she had was on her hands, and probably a little along the nose and lips from earlier on, but that was all. Hana was wound less.

 

"You're a vampire now. Stop freaking out like every small wound is going to kill you. Get a grip, woman," Kai said it in a seriously joking manner. Hana stared at him like he was some idiot and focused on more strength in her fist.

 

Bam! Crack!

 

Kai staggered backwards and held his jaw.

 

"Damn you, Princess. You hit like a bull," Kai commented with a raspy broken voice and tried to place his jawbone back to the place. Hana raised her eyebrows and laughed. But ouch, maybe the wound had physically healed, but the pain remained a little bit, though it was definitely less than before.

 

"Serves you right," Hana rolled her eyes.

 

"Not if you're cheating," Kai snickered.

 

"Whatever," Hana shrugged and walked closer to inspect Kai. "It still hurts?"

 

"Well, yes," Kai got up from the floor, "But I'm used to it. Nawwww, let's end the lesson. You'd better start spilling out about what Jaejoong told you earlier on."

 

"You must be secretly a girl, because you gossip like one," Hana let out a distaste click sound of tongue. "It's nothing important really. Jaejoong just said he would hold a ball for me. Isn't that romantic?"

 

Kai blanked out, "Then why don't you look happy?"

 

"Because instead of well, courting me and everything, he automatically assumes I'm gonna be his wife, or Queen for that matter. I'm not happy," Kai swore he almost saw Hana pouting, but the girl was conscious of his blatant stare and held back. Jung Hana didn't pout in front of just anyone. "Yeah, I am not happy living like this."

 

"Hey, don't frown. You look ugly," Kai reached out and straightened Hana's curved eyebrows. "I bet I can make you smile if I tell you something."

 

"Spill it out, then," Hana leaned in closer curiously.

 

"In every ball the Shadows hold, there must at least be two Fallens to watch over the event," Kai smirked at her. Hana's lips parted and she let out a silly 'O' expression. "Do you know what this means?"

 

Sehun...

 

Would Sehun be there?