chapter 38

The Fallen #1

 “Are you saying that a minor clan is trying to attack us?”

 

Kris remained passive, he neither nod nor shook his head. His hands were folded in front of his defined chest, showing his authority. “I never said there would only be one minor clan. According to the information I have, there could be several of them who are trying to end our reigns as the major clans.”

 

“By using the Forsaken?” Jaejoong sounded doubtful, and Kris didn't blame him. Trust was a huge word in the community, and it wasn't one to be given out easily. “Unlike your perception of these creatures, they are useful killing machines. Only their Masters can control them, given that they're being fed, of course. It's slavery at its best.”

 

“This whole thing is disgusting,” Jaejoong spat out with a sour expression. Both of them were looking at the flames of the fireplace, dancing with the wind blowing from the window. Kris' dark orbs didn't reflect the fiery red, instead the shade turned even darker, a sign that he was struggling internally. “How many are there?”

 

“Around a thousand by now,” Kris replied, “The human world is in chaos, because they exceed the numbers of the Fallens. They will soon be coming over here, because that's where the path leads. And by that... I am suspecting another thing.”

 

Jaejoong smirked in realization, his hand leaning to the bricks, and he turned back, “Ah, you're doubting your own clan...”

 

“Not a lot of people can open a Portal to the Shadow world,” Kris nodded and continued, “From the Shadow world, the only Channeling listed officially are Kai from your clan, Yunho and Leeteuk from the Faery clan, Jinki and Junhyung from the warlock clan, and Taehyung from the werewolf clan. From the Fallens, it's me, Luhan, Changmin, Seohyun and Sungyeol.”

 

“And the unlisted one?”

 

“There are quite a few, all of which are illegal breed from the minor clans,” Kris answered. He didn't feel the need to hide the information because Jaejoong would help him think about more possibilities of the suspects.

 

“Can't you ask for help from your Fallen friends?” Jaejoong knew that the Fallens had a lot of informants everywhere. It wasn't hard to gather things from the investigation in the street, or from the creatures they had caught.

 

“Unlike you and your people,” Kris couldn't resist the temptation to emphasize those words, “We, the Fallens, do not work as a whole. We don't regard each other as a burden, and we never see the need to protect each other.”

 

“How warming,” Jaejoong sarcastically stated. But it wasn't like Kris cared about what he thought. He could think badly about them for goodness' sake. “It's surprising considering that you hold my brother highly in regard.”

 

“I don't,” Kris simply remarked. His indifferent expression really irked off Jaejoong. “I only think of the rules, and it is stated that your brother have just as much right as you do, Fallen or not. Don't give me that face, Leech. I know exactly what you have in mind and I don't give two s about what you think and what you think you're doing.”

 

Jaejoong clenched his jaw in annoyance. Kris clearly had better control out of the two. And every time they talked, Jaejoong always seemed to lose the battle. He eyed Kris, who looked at him back with so much interest in his eyes, “Like I said, I am here to take back the one favor you owe of me.”

 

“What do you want?” Jaejoong asked, though it was clear for the two what Kris wanted.

 

“I need your clan's help in this fight,” Kris seemed hesitant, something others were not used to. Kris was always confident. He always knew where he stood, and he was always the one without weakness. Or so he appeared to be. Only he, himself knew what was going on in his head. “You need my help as well, because sooner or later, the Forsaken army will come to attack the Shadow world.”

 

“And what makes you think that my clan, alone, won't be able to defeat them?”

 

“Because they have thousands in number by now. I'm sure they'll triple the numbers in no time. Won't your clan be the one at disadvantage if human race is declining in number?” Kris smoothly answered, walking away from the fireplace. He couldn't stand the fire for too long, because it was in his nature to stay away from anything hot and fiery.

 

“If that's what you say. After all, I owe you a favor and I ought to return it sooner or later,” Jaejoong finally heaved a sigh and made his decision. He turned back and took of his outer wear and put it on his working desk. “I'm going back to the ballroom, and I swear, if I don't see my mate by then, I'll have your head on a silver plate, no matter what I shall do.”

 

Kris might seem unfazed by the threat, but even he had to admit that angry Jaejoong was a scary one. Not a lot of people held powers as much as he did, and even if Kris was at the same level, he was clearly at disadvantaged position because of Jaejoong's ability. He shivered. No sane man would dare to fight him. No one, really...

 

***

 

“You're back.”

 

Luhan looked over to Sehun and Hana, the later seemed flustered and dazed. There was very evident blushes on both her cheeks, and it made her look vulnerable and cute, instead of some intimidating Queen who would decide on the future of the vampire clan.

 

Luhan watched as she came closer, and though her posture had improved immensely, she was still the same clumsy girl he met in Sehun's house. Never had he thought that great powers of the ancient curse would be bestowed upon her. He observed her, more of curiosity than anything else.

 

She looked fragile, almost lost and broken, the type that man loved the most. She was beautiful, and even Luhan had to agree to that. There was something more, though. Something that was not surface-depth and was still a mystery. Hana caught Luhan's gaze on her and glanced at him, only for a mili-second before tilting her head and listened to whatever Kai had to say.

 

Maybe it was her eyes.

 

Those eyes that held so many emotions within. When she looked at him, it was clearly curiosity, and maybe, when he was being annoying, she would look at him with distaste. Then those eyes would shine with warmth and care when she was happy, ones that made you weak under her gaze. At times like this, though, when she looked at Kai, Luhan couldn't really decipher what it was that was reflected upon her stare.

 

Hana was laughing at something that Kai said, and as uncomfortable as it was, Sehun couldn't help a smile to slip out before returning to the cold, old him. Typical Sehun... So it was her laughter, perhaps? Those sweet, melodious rhythm that enchanted him to her? Even he, himself was drawn to Hana's infectious laughter. A soft smile was tugging at his lips though he didn't know why and how.

 

“Oh, look, Jongin-ah,” Hana turned to stare at Luhan, “You manage to make him smile. What an achievement!” She looked giddy and happy, like a little kid who just saw Santa Claus. Luhan laughed mentally. This wasn't the type of Queen he'd expected to rule the vampire clan anywhere in the near future. But it wasn't bad bad. At least, not in Luhan's eyes.

 

“No, it isn't anything fantastic, really,” Kai smirked, “If you have known the old Luhan, you'd know that he is a kid at heart. He was a social butterfly and everyone loved him. Heck, even my old man loved Luhan more than his own son.”

 

Luhan's lips were pressed to thin line and he drew a soft growl. Kai suddenly laughed, his eyes looking like the crescents, twinkling and bright. Luhan scoffed, “I am not a kid, Kim Jongin. I am a grown adult.”

 

“Don't try to offend Luhan, Jongin,” Hana playfully warned and looked over to Sehun, her hands grazed over his fingers, sending jolts of electricity down his spine. “He will try and break your hand. He might look like a kitten now, but he's still a tiger inside.”

 

“Who's a kitten?” Luhan glared at her and she looked back at him innocently. Kai chuckled and almost instinctively, he reached out to smoothen her hair. Sehun's eyes flickered in a second, and Luhan knew what exactly it was. Jealousy. Possessive. Again, it was typical Sehun... He didn't like what was his to be touched freely by others. And especially... Especially not his mate...

 

“Let go of her, Kai,” Sehun commanded, in a stoic face. Kai frowned and dropped his hands to the sides. Hana turned to Sehun and softly told him, “It's fine, Sehun. Jongin's been a good friend of mine since I came here. In fact...” she paused and looked at him. Luhan snickered at Kai's alarmed expression. “If it weren't for Jongin, my life here would be painfully boring and unbearably difficult.”

 

“Is that so?”

 

Sehun looked at Kai, his tone was unamused. Luhan could tell that he was getting even more protective now. And Luhan could understand why. Males, especially the mated one, would always sense whenever someone had a crush on their partners. Sehun didn't like it one bit.

 

“Didn't you hear her? I'm a good friend,” Kai taunted at him, as if he was taking revenge of what happened in the past.

 

Sehun gritted his teeth in annoyance. If there was anyone who didn't fear his glare, it would be Kai, Luhan, Jaejoong and Kris. “I don't care who you think you are,” Sehun in a deep breath, trying to contain his anger, “Stay a distance away from her.”

 

Hearing those words from Kai only fueled him to tease Sehun more.

 

“Sehun, calm down,” Luhan commented, but Kai knew Luhan was enjoying this moment as well. Sehun, who rarely talked, finally blew up today. He was always, always so good at hiding and controlling his emotions ever since he became the Fallen, but looking at the Sehun now, he felt like all the self-control effort he had for years had actually gone to waste with a simple, petty fight over his mate.

 

Kai chuckled in amusement. Sehun was freaking adorable right now.

 

“Whatever,” Sehun finally caved in, taking a deep breath and refused to look at Hana in the face, “Just stay away from him. He's not a good guy. He plays around and he sleeps around.”

 

“Ah,” Hana grinned. She had known that. Kai was a big flirt, and it wasn't hard to figure out his lifestyle by his personality, “Indeed, he isn't. But don't worry. He won't try any funny business with me, or Jaejoong will kick his personally. Isn't that right, Jonginnie?”

 

Kai groaned at the nickname. “You should have seen that brother of yours, Sehun. He's even more possessive than you. I guess you guys are really siblings after all...”

 

“Shut your mouth,” Sehun hissed. “I don't need to hear his filthy name from anyone's mouth tonight.”

 

“Look who's back,” Hana didn't pay any attention to Sehun and Kai, and instead, muttered to herself as Jaejoong and Kris came into the ballroom. His eyes immediately found hers, and relief was written clearly on his face. His gaze then darted to Sehun, and his expression turned sour.

 

“Hana,” Jaejoong called out, motioning her to come to his side.

 

She was about to stand up, but Sehun's hand prevented her from doing so. They both looked at each other, and Hana shook her head at him. She didn't want a fight tonight. She was tired enough with all the fluff and dramas. “It's fine. I'm fine.”

 

Sehun drew his hand away, feeling lost and hurt. She might be fine, but he was clearly not. Sehun didn't forget to catch the smug grin on Jaejoong's face as Hana approached him and put her hand into his. He whispered something into her ear, and she looked over to Sehun, before nodding and walked out of the room.

 

“The three of you can stay here for the night. We have formed a temporary alliance,” Jaejoong wearily looked at his brother, “Sehun, you can stay in your old room with your friend. And Kai...” Kai raised his eyebrow at him challengingly as Jaejoong added, “Just... make sure Hana stay out of the trouble for the rest of the week, will you?”