chapter 37

The Fallen #1

There were still butterflies in her stomach. They were fluttering. Beautiful, though Hana couldn't see. She tried to make out at least one thought in her mind, but it was blank. Oh, wait, there was one obvious thought right now. Her heart was squeezing painfully. Sehun...

 

It had been two weeks approximately since Hana last saw him. Him, as in Sehun. He still looked as glorious as before. Only that now, in her vampire's eyes, he looked even more so. Even when he wore the same grey robe from the very first day they met, he still stood out amongst the crowd. Her eyes were glued to him. And he simply made everyone else seemed dull in comparison.

 

"Hana!" Kai hissed, trying to get her attention, but she was too surprised to even reply. "Hana, Jung Hana! Jaejoong is coming this way!"

 

Hana snapped out of her thought. True enough, Jaejoong was coming towards her with a furious expression. She looked at Kai for help and the male grabbed her hand and immediately stalked away.

 

The crowd parted in silence, as if they knew what was happening. The air was suffocating. The two Fallen had arrived. One was a Faery King, or at least, he used to be one. The other one was their very own Prince. Sehun. The one who rarely stepped into the spotlight ever since he turned Fallen.

 

Sehun's eyes narrowed as Kai disappeared with Hana. Her scent was getting fainter. He focused his attention on Jaejoong, who was looking everywhere for the girl. Everyone was frozen on their spots. Nobody dared to move. They feared for a fight in the announcement ball night. But Sehun wouldn't do that. He wasn't foolish enough to go against the whole clan. At least not tonight.

 

That was also the reason why Kris was here. Jaejoong might lose his temper, but with Kris here, he had no choice but to respect the later, since they both held the same position in different clans. Sehun clenched his fist, "Do you think it's appropriate if I look for the girl now?"

 

Kris gave him a side glance and calmly replied, "Just don't make it too obvious that you're here for her."

 

Sehun scoffed and walked off to the direction Kai went. He picked up the trail of intoxicating scent that Hana left. Breathing in the minty scent, he quickly followed. Kris stepped in front of Jaejoong and held him back, whispering a low growl of threat in his ear, "Step back. Don't make a commotion in your own party. They will be back soon."

 

Jaejoong's eyes glowed red and he squeezed Kris' arms with all his strength. " you, Kris. Why is he even here?! Sehun's not supposed to be here at all." Kris pulled back and humorlessly chuckled, "He has every right to be here. The girl belongs to him, as much as she does to you. So calm down and assure everyone that everything is well."

 

"I don't take orders from you," Jaejoong coldly hissed at Kris. Kris glared back with the same intensity, "You owe me favors, Leech. I helped you with the girl. It's time to show a little respect to me. I have more important things to talk to you aside from your petty jealousy."

 

Jaejoong looked at the crowd, and all of them seemed curious. Of course, with one order from Jaejoong, they would be more than ready to kill. But this was no ordinary enemy they were facing. Kris was and technically still is a Faery King who held greater power than most Shadow creatures.

 

"It's fine," Jaejoong sighed and waved at the crowd, "Everything is fine. The Fallen have arrived. But they won't intervene this night. Please enjoy yourself. Have a good night, everyone!" He turned back to Kris and glowered, "This'd better be good."

 

***

 

"Kai, wait, where are we going?" Hana asked, looking around. She had never been to this part of the palace. A giant maze was located to her left. To her right was garden full of plants. It was beautiful yet terrifying, especially at night. The weird noises from the animals make it even more unsettling.

 

"I am sorry," Kai mumbled and let go of her hand. He just realized that they had gone further than he wanted to. This was the southern part of the palace, used to be the territorial part of the late Queen, Sehun's mother. Kai ruffled his hair and turned back to look at Hana.

 

Hana noticed the distress in Kai's eyes, and he looked even more so when he saw Sehun approaching from afar. His hand found its way back to Hana's hand, and he immediately pulled her back, protectively shielding her from his cousin.

 

"Kai... What are you doing?" Hana whispered, her eyes widening. She could see Sehun stepped closer each time, and her heart almost clasped in joy. But when she wanted to reach out to him, Kai wouldn't let her. He eyed her and observed her quivering lips, her innocent eyes, filled with questions and confusion.

 

"Kai," Sehun gritted his teeth. He didn't like the look he saw in Kai's eyes. Males could easily identify whether or not another male was in love with his girl. Kai gulped. Sehun knew. He saw Kai's feelings through those indifferent dark orbs. "Luhan."

 

Kai felt another presence not far from them, and soon enough, Luhan joined in the crowd. Hana gaped at the three vampires, former best friends, now looking at each other with the urge to kill. She stared at Luhan's baby face, noting how he looked restless and unsettled compared to the last time they met.

 

"Kai, thank you for the help," Luhan muttered, signaling him to go away.

 

Kai cursed inside his head when Hana's clueless gaze turned into a hurtful one. Her lips pressed into a thin line and she pulled away from his grip. She furrowed her eyebrows at him and motioned him to follow Luhan, "Go." Kai shook his head. He didn't want to leave her alone with Sehun, but she persisted, "Just go."

 

Sehun and Hana watched as Luhan and Kai went off together, but not before throwing her a worried look, and she herself, had no idea how to assure Kai that she would be okay. Sehun would never hurt her. At least not physically.

 

They waited until Luhan and Kai couldn't be heard anymore. There was this sudden awkwardness that consumed the air. Silence followed, but not for too long. Sehun turned his gaze to Hana as she fidgeted nervously.

 

"You've changed."

 

Hana looked up and observed him. He looked back at her, almost gazing. Hana's heart did an irrational flip, and she had to convince herself there was no way he would ever look at her in such an affectionate way. She slapped herself awake. She was probably delusional from not seeing him for a long period of time.

 

"Yes, I've changed, you're no longer bound to help me in any way."

 

Sehun furrowed his eyebrows together. That was not the change he meant though.

 

"I do. In case you forget... I promised to protect you..." Sehun replied. What was it that Hana saw in his eyes? Worry? Impossible. Hana gazed into those dark orbs, trying to read him. She shook her head in disappointment. Bitterly, she spat, "Of course I remember. Especially when you 'so easily' broke it for your brother."

 

Sehun flinched at her harsh tone. He didn't forget the guilt that ate him up. But he couldn't even imagine how disappointed she must had been. He had no explanation for what he did. "I..." He sighed. "I know." And he was sorry. But his pride always got in the way.

 

Hana stared at him in disbelief and muttered, "Never mind. You still don't owe me anything anymore."

 

She was about to walk away, her heart full of disappointment. What did she expect from a Fallen anyway? Maybe she had been too hopeful. Or maybe she was just delusional. After all, this was Sehun. Sehun, who didn't know love, nor affection. There was a bitter taste left in her tongue. Indeed, she had been too hopeful...

 

"Hana," Sehun called back, his voice held so much pain that she stopped for a moment. The way he called her name still brought back so many feelings she forgot she knew. There were so many memories and pain that came along with it. Sehun stared at her back, slightly trembling, as she continued walking without turning back.

 

"Hana, I am sorry."

 

She stopped and turned back. Her red eyes pierced through his soul, and for a moment, both were completely lost in each other's eyes. Sehun had always known that there was something about this girl that pulled him to her, but when she turned a vampire, the attraction and pull was clearly much stronger than before.

 

"I..." Hana hesitated. Her voice and tone gradually became softer and weaker, "I... I don't know how to answer that."

 

But truth to be told her heart was weakened. How could she not forgive him when he begged her for forgiveness? How could she not, when those eyes were looking at her in a way she couldn't describe? Those butterflies in her stomach told her a different story, and she liked it. She liked this moment, and she liked him. And that was all that mattered. She quivered again. She didn't want to look weak to Sehun.

 

"Did they tell you about me?" Sehun slowly walked closer, while Hana froze on her spot. His charm worked wonder on her. She didn't think he knew what kind of effect he had on her, and how dangerous their distances was, with Sehun's hand touching hers... And God, she just couldn't pull away, nor could she break the stare they were sharing.

 

"Yes, bits about your story, here and there," Hana murmured softly and finally looked down, her pale cheeks would have been tainted by red color right now, but thankfully, the light wasn't as bright so it wasn't obvious. Sehun took in a deep breath. She was breathtakingly beautiful, and it pained him to be so close to her, yet so far. It was as if an invisible barrier was pulling them far apart...

 

"I see," Sehun replied. That wasn't the answer he was looking for. He wanted to ask if she knew about them, about him being the Fallen, about her Mark, and about her mate. Would she choose Jaejoong over him? He bit the inside of his cheeks in frustration as he held back all the questions in his head. The anxiety was actually killing him now.

 

"Will you... Will you go back after the party end?" Hana asked. He stared at her indifferently and nodded. She sighed. So he had to go and leave her again. "Can I come with you?" Hana fidgeted, "Can't you take me with you?"

 

"Don't you like it here?"

 

Hana slowly shook her head, "It's suffocating." I'd rather be with you. But she couldn't say it out loud, could she?

 

"I..." Sehun paused. He wanted to take her away, but doing so would be very selfish for both of them. There would come a time, when Sehun would be able to return here, but now was not right. If he were to take her now, Jaejoong would undoubtedly ensue a war against the Fallen.

 

"Never mind, just leave me here," Hana bitterly said, "It's fine. Don't trouble yourself thinking about how to reject me."

 

Sehun suddenly grabbed her arms, sending jolts of electricity and thousand of different thoughts to her head. His intense stare was not helping, as he pulled her closer. "I do want to take you with me, but please understand that now is not the right time..."

 

"And when is the right time?"

 

"Soon," he breathed. Her scent was filling in. Intoxicating. Drowning. Dangerous. The longer he stayed, the longer he would have to suffer this. He wondered how Jaejoong could stand being so close to her without the urge to Mate her. To Sehun, this was simply torturing. "I promise you."

 

Hana had a lot to ask, but she kept quiet instead, enjoying the moment when they had each other so close in grasp. The slow song came to play again, signaling the night was about to end, and Hana had to pull away, as much as she hated to. "It's the last song. I have to go back. It's inappropriate."

 

"No," Sehun looked at the palace where the ball was held and then back to Hana, "Stay."

 

"But..." Hana butted in and shook her head. Her hand was then held tightly by Sehun, and a soft smile graced his lips. Dear heaven, why should a male be so dangerously alluring? It wasn't fair for her weak heart, really. He held her in place, and asked, "Please... Save the last dance for me..."

 

Hana cursed her heart.

 

This time, even the mind urged her to agree,

 

She couldn't resist. Placing her hand in his, she shyly smiled back at him. A soft voice sang along with the song, and she could barely catch what the lyric was about. Because right here, right now, there was only him.

 

Him, and her... Us... Together...


A/N: So this chapter is like... a 'thank you' chapter for all the sweet comments I have received. You gave me strength to go on in life. Enjoy. I hope you like it as much as you do.