chapter 35

The Fallen #1

A/N: Double update. 'Coz I'm nice and I'm bored. Go to chapter 34.


 

 In less than a week time, Hana got the basic idea of how the Shadow world, and specifically, the vampire clan worked.

 

The Shadow world was occupied by different creatures in different territorial, but the dominant clans are the werewolves, the vampires and the elvish. Unlike the movies, werewolves and vampires didn't really fight each other, but they did have this tension, much like the history of US and Uni Soviet.

 

The major parliament in the vampire clan -as Hana liked to call it- were made of twelve royal families with different surnames, and all submitted to the King, Lord Kim Jaejoong. Since the Kim was the first in line to throne, they were considered the first family in the clan.

 

There were the Elders, who consisted of the retired leaders, whose job was to advice the current clan leaders. They supposedly held a strong position in the voice voting, but judging from Jaejoong's situation, he might have banished them somewhere. Or maybe they were just too scared of him to show up.

 

And Hana found out something more about her Mark. The Mark was regarded as the most sacred thing, because it happened once in a few hundred or thousand years. The one bearing the Mark had more power than the Elders and Jaejoong put together.

 

Judging from Jaejoong's insecure position in the vampire clan, of course he would try every way to seduce her to be his mate.

 

Apparently, Jaejoong and Sehun were born from different mothers. Jaejoong was given birth by the first wife of the late ruler. But Sehun was born from the second wife, the mate of the ruler, and therefore, held a higher position in the hierarchy. It was crazy how the society here worked, because in human world, first wife was always regarded first before the second one.

 

Kai was the son of the late ruler's younger brother. Therefore, he was still considered a Prince, though he had no right for the throne. Knowing Kai, he probably didn't want the position as well. He had never had interest in stealing it from Sehun.

 

She had been taking fighting lessons with Kai often, sneaking once or twice from Jaejoong's lessons. In all honesty, talking to Kai was the only solace she could find in this confusion. He helped clearing up her mind, and sometimes, Hana did feel bad, thinking about using him and all.

 

Her heart thumped loudly.

 

Hana blinked nervously.

 

Would she be fine tonight?

 

The daring, dark red dress was in high contrast with her pale skin. Her beauty was radiant, soft, and inhumane. She looked perfect, but she felt no contentment. The only thing that bugged her constantly was Sehun. Hana could only hope he would be there.

 

Kai entered the room silently. His eyes wandered to Hana and lingered around the eye area for particular. How many times had he reminded himself that this girl didn't belong to him? He smirked. Hana screamed trouble from the first time they met. But there was something about trouble that attracted Kai immensely.

 

"Are you nervous?" Kai asked, leaning to the door frame. Hana quickly turned back and watched as his lips curved up to a soft smile. Kai wore a dark colored suits. His hair was styled messily, just the way he liked it.

 

"It's you," Hana breathed in and out ever so slowly. She then walked away from the mirror and sat down. The ball would begin anytime soon, and yet, here they were, chatting to waste the time away. "I'm fine, Jongin, really."

 

"I don't think so," Kai almost hummed, and strutted over to her side. It was the protective side of him that wrapped his strong arms around her gently. He knew this didn't seem right, but he couldn't careless at the moment. "You're cold. You're nervous."

 

"Maybe a little bit," Hana admitted shyly, tugging a strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm just not used to this kind of pampered lifestyle. Jaejoong treats me like a Queen, but somehow it doesn't feel right."

 

"Isn't it every girl's dream to be treated like a Queen?" Kai asked. Hana chuckled a little, easing the tension in the room with her melodious laughter. "Not if it's not by the man she loves."

 

Kai didn't want to press on. He knew she didn't love Jaejoong, though the later was desperate for her affection and craved for her touch. After all, he was a possible mate for her, and being there with a mate without actually touching her was simply suffocating.

 

"Will Sehun really be there?" Hana wondered. She could imagine the disappointment she would feel if the male she was looking for wasn't present. "I know the bad blood between Jaejoong and Sehun, but would that prevent him from coming here?" Her voice was hauntingly sad.

 

Kai opted with a maybe reply, but looking at Hana's expression, he couldn't just break the hope the girl has for Sehun. He couldn't. Because he was secretly hoping that Sehun would be there as well. "Why don't you have a little faith in him, yeah? Didn't he promise you to always protect you?"

 

"Yes," her answer was barely a whisper, "But look how easily he broke it when Jaejoong took me away..."

 

"He must have had his own reason to do that," Kai reasoned, "Sehun is not a coward. He is anything but that. And he doesn't go back on promises. He is a man of few words, and he keeps them well." Hana wanted to argue, but her jelly knees were giving up on her. She felt weak right now. "Trust me, Hana, I know him longer than you. He will come back for you." Hopefully so.

 

"Thank you, Jongin," She flashed him a bright smile, and again, it was a sign of warning to him. Hana wasn't supposed to have any kind of effect on him. Kai wasn't supposed to doubt himself when it came to women because he proclaimed himself an expert in the field. "You always know the right thing to say."

 

What was it that attracted him? Her alluring scent?

 

Or was it the fact that she depended on him more than the others?

 

"Anytime, Princess," Kai returned her smile. He wanted to ruffle her hair so badly, but wouldn't want to mess up her perfect look in this moment. Offering his hand to her like a gentleman, both Kai and Hana stood up. "Don't forget to smile. Everyone will want to know you, and you have to bear the evening with them."

 

By then, Kai managed to convince himself that maybe, what he felt was just a tiny little crush. He breathed a sigh of relief. A crush wouldn't last long. He would make sure it wouldn't last. Hana caught him staring and chuckled, "I will just drag you with me, then. You have to suffer this as much as I do."

 

"Can't," Kai sassily replied, "All the ladies will be head over heels for me. You won't be able to take me away from them."

 

Hana rolled her eyes playfully and poked his cheeks, "Well, that I do admit. You look breathtaking tonight, Kim Jongin."

 

Ba-thump. There went the irrational heartbeat again. Kai smirked and replied,

 

"Well, likewise, Princess. You look gorgeous."

 

She always did...

 

***

 

Loud chatters everywhere, but as soon as Hana entered with Jongin by her side, the crowd parted and silenced all at once. Eyes were watching her curiously, and to Kai's relief, she handled the attention well.

 

Walking in heels were never a problem to Hana. But she admitted that her legs were wobbly when she noticed all eyes were on her. Judging, pointing. No one dared to say a thing, though. They wouldn't want to get beheaded by Jaejoong tonight.

 

Speaking of Jaejoong, he was standing in the end of the long, awaiting line, looking dashing as usual. His appearance was nothing short of perfection. Kai felt a squeeze in his arms, and immediately knew that the girl was nervous. Her eyes looked straight into Jaejoong.

 

"May I present to you," Jaejoong grabbed her hand gently and smiled in the eyes. The crowd murmured amongst themselves. They were probably not used to the sweet, loving side of Jaejoong. "My lady, the future Queen of this clan, Jung Hana!"

 

There was loud clap. But Hana could see that everyone was faking it. They weren't pleased a human-born vampire would be Jaejoong's mate. She snorted mentally. Or maybe they were just jealous it weren't the. Or their daughters in her place right now.

 

Hana returned their fake expressions with an equally fake smile. She wasn't used to this y side of herself, but was glad she had it to help her survive this society. "Please, do enjoy the night..."

 

Everyone shifted their eyes away, but she could still feel the heavy tension in the air.

 

Jaejoong hadn't taken his eyes off of her, and when she looked back, he sweetly whispered to her ear, "You look beautiful tonight." Hana chuckled and faced him, "Only tonight?" Jaejoong shook his head, "You always look beautiful, my Dear. But tonight, you are exceptionally so. And I'm afraid I won't be able to take my eyes off of you for the rest of the evening." And probably for all eternity...

 

Hana softened at his words. She didn't doubt that he loved her, but to do so out of the throne? She hated it. Jaejoong introduced her to some of the important head families in the clan to exchange courtesies. Between all the guests, the Hwang family' left the deepest impression to her.

 

"That is Hwang Junjin and his first wife. She is not Miyoung's mother, so don't try to ask them about her. Be careful, though, both of them, especially the woman bites," Jaejoong quietly reminded before both of them smiled at the couple and approached them.

 

"Lord Jaejoong," Junjin and his wife bowed down, and the faced Hana and did the same, "Lady Hana. This is my wife, Jiyoon. It is a pleasure to see you both tonight."

 

"Likewise, Lord Junjin, Lady Jiyoon," Jaejoong graciously smiled.

 

The two males then talked about territory stuff, leaving the females as passive listeners on the side. Hana glanced at Jiyoon and took a good look on her.

 

Maybe it was a vampire thing that all of them didn't look any older than twenty years old. Jiyoon was a woman with sharp cheekbones and high, slim nose. Her eyes were like hawk, striking and scary at the same time. She looked confident and exuded a very superior aura around.

 

"So, Lady Hana," Jiyoon turned to her and smiled, "I heard that you were a human, no?"

 

Hana nodded and muttered a short yes. She knew this topic would come sooner or later and prayed that her brain would think of an answer fast enough to retort just in case this woman started to insult her in any way.

 

"What was it like, being human? Was it suffocating?" Jiyoon asked sharply. Each of her words hurt. But Hana didn't let it show. "Surely when you first saw Jaejoong, you must have fallen for his charms like any other girl?"

 

Hana swallowed a painful gulp of saliva. Come to think about it, Miyoung was half vampire and half human, which meant that her father probably cheated on his wife to be with a human. She then realized where this conversation was going. "What happens between Lord Jaejoong and me is our own privacy. But if you do want to talk about being human and a vampire, I'd gladly entertain you, Lady Jiyoon."

 

"It's fine, Lady Hana, I am sorry to have asked such question," Jiyoon spoke, but Hana knew she didn't feel an ounce of sorry at all.

 

"Tell me honestly, Lady Jiyoon, do you want to ask me questions about Miyoung?"

 

Jiyoon's expression turned grim. She glared at Hana and dared her to say another word, to which she really did, "If that's what you really want to ask, Lady Jiyoon, then let me tell you that Miyoung is a good friend of mine, and has much more morality and manner than most people I've met."

 

Jiyoon looked pissed. She gritted her teeth and tried to regain her composure but failed miserably. Hana didn't know if she had said the right thing, but to hell with that. She didn't want anyone insulting her best friend with her consent. Miyoung had always defended her before, it was time Hana did the same to her.

 

"If you'll excuse me, Lady Jiyoon," Jaejoong suddenly grabbed her hand and whisked her away from the Hwang family. Hana could foresee a bad, bad scolding from him and furrowed her eyebrows together. "Hana! That was not a wise move there. You aren't supposed to talk like that in your announcement ball! People will judge you badly."

 

Hana stared at Jaejoong. She didn't have any words to defend herself.

 

"But oh, whatever, it's not like I don't hate that , either," Jaejoong threw a glance at the Hwang family and walked away with a surprised Hana by his side,

 

"You're not mad?"

 

Jaejoong looked at her. He took her hands and put one of his arms around her waist. They were slow dancing by the moment. "I am not mad. I am a tad bit disappointed. I was expecting a more violent fight from you. You're a newborn, after all. You shouldn't be able to control your emotions that well yet."

 

Hana chuckled and cheekily replied, "So you were expecting me to actually punch her in the face?"

 

Jaejoong grinned and that was a silent yes for her.

 

"I would have done so, but that would damage your reputation in the public," Hana remarked, feeling a little bit tempted by the idea of punching Jiyoon in the face. Jaejoong laughed at her idea and nodded in agreement, "You are right. Though I wouldn't mind, I already have a violent and rough image in the clan. A little more trouble wouldn't hurt."

 

"No wonder why you and Jongin are cousin. You are both troublemakers," Hana made a 'tsh' sound and playfully rolled her eyes.

 

A comfortable silence followed soon after and they both found themselves being immersed into the dance and the song. If only this wasn't a political game for the throne, Hana would have considered Jaejoong a perfect date for such occasion. She smiled a little bit and gently put her hands around his shoulder.

 

He was not bad...

 

But he wasn't good either...